(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Something that bugs me is how RSE's tiny lore details are ignored or forgotten in the fanbase
-You can fight May/Brendan at the old man with Peeko's house if you don't do it at Rustboro
The reason why nobody talks about this is because it's bugged in vanilla and can never actually happen. (see edit 2)
tcrf said:
EDIT: I haven't actually tested for myself, so it could actually work as far as I know.

EDIT 2: Well, I was informed that this was true and there's even a twitter video showing the whole process, so that's my bad. Sorry about that. Ironically this means it shouldn't be on tcrf, but it being there is probably the main source of random people knowing about this niche detail.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
And that's another little thing to be annoyed about
Hey, no need to cross it out, just look what thread we're on!

So, yeah, let's discuss them no longer letting us name our Rival. On one hand I kind of get why, but on the other hand it does feel like it's one thing making the game feel less personal. Think it's best to go by generation:

Gen I: First game so doesn't really need a reason, BUT there is one where you and your rival are childhood friends and, though worrying Professor Oak doesn't remember the name of his own grandson, would make sense for you to know it. It's more of an excuse so that you can name Blue after your friend or family member; sure it's one thing to beat a computer opponent into the dirt, but it's even more fun when it's named after someone you know! Though in that sense I can actually maybe now see why in Let's Go they changed the rival to Trace. While disappointing it's not Blue, at the same time I would hope your friend or family member didn't act like Blue to you like he does to the player in Gen I. Trace probably would more reflect your relationship with the friend or family member you named him after, which I think is the first time I've had any good thoughts on Trace since they first revealed him. GF, had you used that as your reason for swapping Blue for Trace I don't think the community would have complained as much, especially if you reveal that you're making Blue his own character! But then again, if you knew about Blue's personality beforehand and named him after someone (or something) that wasn't nice, seeing them get their comeuppance at your hands would feel satisfying. But that's hindsight, and also Blue is sort of implied to be on a power trip during the game you snap him out of after defeating him.
Gen II: Reason this time is because the rival doesn't tell you his name cause he's kind of too busy stealing a Pokemon. In the original games he just whispers it to you and in the remakes you caught a glimpse of his Trainer Card (wait how does Silver have a trainer card if he's not an official trainer?). Eitherway, excuse to name the rival, and this time you know his personality so you don't name him after someone you like! So the Gen I issue isn't there while you still get the satisfying feeling of being better than something you don't like... though, since Silver does go through character development meant to indicate he's turning over a new leaf in the post game, I'm curious how one would have felt about that if they named their rival after someone/something they'd never like but now you're supposed to feel sympathy for the rival you named after them.
Gen III: And so with that in mind, and also that Blue and Silver are given official names since at the end of the day they are their own characters, I can understand the decision to stop letting you name you rival. This is emphasized in these game by making you a new arrival to the region and your rivals are your next door neighbor (and kid of the Professor) and a kid your father was helping out, so both would have names that is known by other people but not by you. In a way this also helps get into the shoes of the playable character as both of you are new to Hoenn.
Gen IV: Back to be able to name the rival cause they're a childhood friend so you would naturally know them.
BW1: Now, while you're childhood friends with Cheren & Bianca, the theme of the games probably override letting you name them. First time you had two rivals (from the start) both with distinct personalities from one another. It's obviously meant to go along with the "Black & White" theme, their names even being those colors in different languages (Cheren is black in German, Bianca is white in Italian). So it's a hard break in tradition from a logical stance though in a way BW1 was all about trying to break some traditions the franchise have built up over the years and start to expand from it. And in the case of the rivals, specifically their names, they want to show these are characters with their own personality, goals, and story arcs that at many points bend separately from one another.
BW2: But some traditions can be mended so (one) childhood friend you can name again.
Gen VI & Beyond: And since then, disregarding remakes, the rivals had predetermined names. Now most of the time this makes sense as you're meeting them usually for the first time, the only exception being Hop who is a childhood friend but we've gone through 6 other Rivals since then and the other Rivals in the game having names just best to give Hop an official name (not to mention he's also the younger brother of the beloved Champion so his name is probably semi-public knowledge if someone looks up Leon's personal life).

I have a feeling, aside from remakes, we'll probably never name the Rival again. Only way I can see us naming a Rival is if they decide to let us "create" the Rival. Somewhat a shame as it removes a personal connection you could add to the game, though you can still name every Pokemon you catch.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
This applies in Gym Leader refights too. Why is there a freaking lvl 40 Slowpoke in the Twins' fight?
I mean, they... do eventually evolve the Slowpoke. It's only in the first couple of rematches it's unevolved. Which makes sense as I guess it's a new Pokemon they've started raising and perhaps they're unfamiliar with it. Or they want to raise it up to learn certain moves.

I've always thought that the reason NPCs have high-levelled unevolved Pokemon is that evolution levels only exist for for the player for consistency reasons. When we say the menopause starts at around age 50, we don't literally mean that every woman in the world starts it the day they turn 50; for some it's earlier, for others it's later. Perhaps a high-level unevolved Pokemon just means that that individual personally hasn't developed enough yet. Which would explain why Lance has underlevelled Dragonites: he's just so skilled at raising them that he can trigger a rapid evolution.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Most of those look basically the same in 2D and 3D.
??? No?

It's a comparison of the colour palettes used. 3D models use a very washed out, pale pallet compared with the really vibrant and varied colours that the Pokémon used to have. Which is absolutely a valid point, the colours look much worse than their original ones. The models also look much better with their old palettes reapplied.

Though purple-hue Sneasel and Forretress are better than either of their 2 later colourations imo :P

??? No?

It's a comparison of the colour palettes used. 3D models use a very washed out, pale pallet compared with the really vibrant and varied colours that the Pokémon used to have. Which is absolutely a valid point, the colours look much worse than their original ones. The models also look much better with their old palettes reapplied.

Though purple-hue Sneasel and Forretress are better than either of their 2 later colourations imo :P
Because they're based on the art, not sprites

And lo and behold, if the source art isn't desaturated or low contrast, the model isn't either
Look at Entei

So Sugimori mucking art after Gen 3 had consequences

Because they're based on the art, not sprites

And lo and behold, if the source art isn't desaturated or low contrast, the model isn't either
Look at Entei

So Sugimori mucking art after Gen 3 had consequences
You know, there was something about the palette that didn't strike me as wrong (unlike many here) but rather familiar (and yet, I didn't realize what it was)... and I think it's exactly this: it's that it's meant to mimic the palette used in the artwork.

??? No?

Oh, I thought the color flashing was a visual glitch, not a comparison between old and new palettes. I see it now.

Oh, someone finally put it to words! Uh... gifs? This has bothered me for a while and I couldn't quite put my finger on it, and the gifs highlight to me just how washed out the colours are. I know it's technically accurate, but it still doesn't look great and is why the sprites opted for the lighting they did. Pokémon just pop much more with those bolder colours.

The SWSH retexturing (or whatever shaders they use now, i'm not quite sure how the system works here) seems to have given some of the colors a slightly "darker" pop

It's still brighter than some of the sprites, but it's a slight shade (or hue?) darker and the baked in lighting helps break up the colors more, at least.

It's a shame Parasect isn't in SWSH, it'd be interesting to see if it looks much better.

"3d models aren't pale, sprites just were really bright" is a realization that comes to you a lot earlier when you struggle to pick between the sprite pallete and the art one when drawing a pokémon (though this issue is only found in gen 5 and below).

Well, it is in Let's Go, and SwSh mostly uses same models for the pokemon that are around, so...
View attachment 313209
well that does seem far darker than 3DS parasect, so that's nice and more what I wanted rather than "red".
:xy/parasect:

Also...

To nitpick a little Let's Go & SWSH do have different textures in place, Let's Go has far less stark shadows and are just kind of "brighter" in general. To go with the "Go" vibe. And frankly a little sterile...
Here's an Omastar sciresm imported directly

And here's omastar when it was actually added to swsh

See how the shell and beiges in general were darkened (or..whitened? grayed?), and the blues got a lot of touch ups with there now being a shaded part with the "unshaded" part being a little brighter?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Something that annoys me in RSE is how Mr. Stone had art, is a noted NPC....but they didn't bother to give him a unique sprite. Just uses regular Gentleman's
Same for Professor Cozmo & Capt. Stern who both got the Scientist sprite. Meanwhile Dock got a unique sprite and he had less involvement than the previous mentioned characters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 7)