(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Every other Grass-type in Gen 1 was part Poison-type by default
Paras, Parasect, Exeggcute, and Exeggutor are crying in the corner :(

It definitely is a little odd how a lot of Gen 1 mons seem like they were made Poison-type based on vibes without them even learning any Poison moves (apart from the near-universal Toxic), whereas now there are lots of Pokemon that aren't Poison-type but which have Dex entries and movepools that suggest that they're venomous and/or poisonous (I'll edit in examples as I think of them lmao).

It almost seems like its ubiquity in RBY made the designers extra hesitant to give the Poison type to Pokemon whenever it seemed like it'd draw obvious comparisons with something like a Zubat or an Oddish.

In general I don't mind this as a philosophy. Typing is pretty arbitrary and I tend to feel that the kneejerk "[Pokemon] should be [type] because of [trait]" or "[Pokemon] should learn [move] because it has [body part]" are how we got into the position where it feels like everything learns Close Combat now lol.

In this case, however, it does seem like an issue. The Poison type deserves to get a bit more love in future gens.

It definitely is a little odd how a lot of Gen 1 mons seem like they were made Poison-type based on vibes without them even learning any Poison moves (apart from the near-universal Toxic), whereas now there are lots of Pokemon that aren't Poison-type but which have Dex entries and movepools that suggest that they're venomous and/or poisonous (I'll edit in examples as I think of them lmao).
I feel like the two primary ones I can think of are actually Gen 2: Umbreon (who we now know was originally a poison type) and Wooper (who has poisonous slimy film but was seemingly never meant to be poison)

The addition of Poison Jab definitely feels like it got them to go around and give it out, though.

Paras, Parasect, Exeggcute, and Exeggutor are crying in the corner :(

It almost seems like its ubiquity in RBY made the designers extra hesitant to give the Poison type to Pokemon whenever it seemed like it'd draw obvious comparisons with something like a Zubat or an Oddish.

In general I don't mind this as a philosophy. Typing is pretty arbitrary and I tend to feel that the kneejerk "[Pokemon] should be [type] because of [trait]" or "[Pokemon] should learn [move] because it has [body part]" are how we got into the position where it feels like everything learns Close Combat now lol.

In this case, however, it does seem like an issue. The Poison type deserves to get a bit more love in future gens.
I feel like the two primary ones I can think of are actually Gen 2: Umbreon (who we now know was originally a poison type) and Wooper (who has poisonous slimy film but was seemingly never meant to be poison)

The addition of Poison Jab definitely feels like it got them to go around and give it out, though.
There's also Sliggoo (who isn't toxic but is extremely corrosive, which in Pokemon land is still Poison), Shroomish, and whatever the fuck Shellder is doing with Slowpoke.

I haven't gotten to this part of the game yet but isn't it explained that he was admitted due to his incredible talent for handling Pokemon quite literally centuries ahead of everyone else? Or at the very least even if not directly explained it's highly suggested with how good he is relative to nearly every other character in the game, being 1 of 2 NPCs with a full team of 6
A cute little comic conceptualizing how intimidating he could be (of course he's a nice guy so I'm sure it didn't play out quite like this):

Never liked the whole "Mythicals foreshadow the next region" theory. Most of the explanations are just far-reaches in logic that can be explained within the same region. Manaphy could be foreshadowing Unova being far away, or maybe it's a reference to sea angels that actually do travel near Hokkaido, Japan. Keldeo is based off a French novel, but not only is it part of a group of musketeers in Unova, Unova's whole theme was different ideas and cultures mixing together. Volcanoes are in Hawaii, but Volcanion is also a steam engine, and look me in the eye and tell me that Magearna, a French maid Fairy Mythical with a French named signature move revealed a generation prior, is a reference to Galar.

Last edited:
You know, I complained earlier about TCPi and fans not caring much for the male main player (outside Red), but the recent Gen 9 reveal makes me laugh

For once you can't even say the female design is objectively better: it's the exact same this time

Yet people are throwing discord over how much they don't like the male design, calling it wussy and pathetic

Like I'm sorry, but you asked for this by ignoring every other good designed protag. Why bother trying?

Inversely, for once people are "caring" about the male mc more

Granted I kind of don't care, traditional uniforms of elementary students are similar anyway. But the complaints are making me laugh
:psysly:

*This is less me being annoyed, more me noting a past annoyance

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Dear Game Freak: If for future games you intend to do mixes of normal cross-gen and regional evos as was done in PLA, can you please for the love of god make the distinction crystal clear by actually showing the evolution process or just stating what it evolves from with zero ambiguity? We've had two cases so far (Sirfetch'd and Basculegion) of people getting hyped under the expectation it's a normal cross-gen only to find out last minute it's form-based, and both of those times it came off as deceptive advertising even if that was not the intent, ESPECIALLY in the latter case. Even for something like Wyrdeer which turned out to be a normal evolution in the end we were left hanging for months debating its nature when all that was needed was to show a picture of wild Stantler. Heck, not even that: Regional forms already have blurbs on the game websites with the OG's art captioned "Previously discovered form". Would it kill you to just do that for evos too?? "This is an evolution of OG Dunsparce! On the other hand, this only evolves from PokeSpainian Maractus!". There! Simple! So much needless confusion and frustration prevented with minimal effort.

I still feel some vindication that they did, in fact, give a regional variant of basculin with minor changes to it, something I definitely got into an argument about because there was just NO WAY that would happen.

Granted we also got Stantler, Scyther (& Ursaring but outside of rumors we didn't know about that at the time so wahtever) in normal versions so in some way we all won as much as we lost that specific battle.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is really a minor annoyance, but this is one of those cases of move names being mistranslated by the localization team and not matching up, but even moreso when it's clear the move's animation does not align with the move description, and it's clear that the mistranslation stemmed from the misleading move animation.

The move I am specifically talking about here is Gear Grind, which is a move that has never been shown in the anime because for whatever reason Klinklang has very rarely shown up in the anime, but the move is very weirdly animated and it doesn't align with the flavor text of the move or what the move's original name was. In Japanese, the move's name is "Gear Saucer", and the flavor description is that Klinklang or its pre-evos literally throwing one of its minigears at the opponent twice, or in some cases throwing both of its minigears at the opponent, aligning with that. Even Klinklang's and Klang's Dex entries support this idea

Klang:
White: Spinning minigears are rotated at high speed and repeatedly fired away. It is dangerous if the gears don't return.
BW2: A minigear and big gear comprise its body. If the minigear it luanches at a foe doesn't return, it will die.

Klinklang:
BW2: The minigear spins at high speed. Then energy from the red core charges the minigear to make it ready to fire.

Basically, aligning with their signature move, the Klink line in using such move effectively does so by using one of its minigears as a projectile, firing said minigear at the opponent as if it were a weapon. The original move name being "Gear Saucer" supports this as well.

What's really odd, however, is that the move itself is not animated to showcase this. Instead, Gear Grind's animation is two gears coming together onto the target and grinding together to cause damage. This is likely what caused the translation error and caused the move's name to become "Gear Grind instead". And this isn't just in Gen 5 either: every animation of Gear Grind since then has shown the move in such a manner as well: instead of a minigear being thrown, it is instead two gears interlocking with the target being squashed between the interlocking gears, then the two gears spin together to cause damage to the target, whereas the original move name and the description suggest instead that the move is either two minigears being fired as projectiles towards the opponent, or one minigear being fired twice, in both cases, the move's flavor is gears being fired like projectiles. It's very clear the move description and the move animation do not align, nor do they align with the flavor text of the Klink line. It's completely bizarre.

This is really a minor annoyance, but this is one of those cases of move names being mistranslated by the localization team and not matching up, but even moreso when it's clear the move's animation does not align with the move description, and it's clear that the mistranslation stemmed from the misleading move animation.

The move I am specifically talking about here is Gear Grind, which is a move that has never been shown in the anime because for whatever reason Klinklang has very rarely shown up in the anime, but the move is very weirdly animated and it doesn't align with the flavor text of the move or what the move's original name was. In Japanese, the move's name is "Gear Saucer", and the flavor description is that Klinklang or its pre-evos literally throwing one of its minigears at the opponent twice, or in some cases throwing both of its minigears at the opponent, aligning with that. Even Klinklang's and Klang's Dex entries support this idea

Klang:
White: Spinning minigears are rotated at high speed and repeatedly fired away. It is dangerous if the gears don't return.
BW2: A minigear and big gear comprise its body. If the minigear it luanches at a foe doesn't return, it will die.

Klinklang:
BW2: The minigear spins at high speed. Then energy from the red core charges the minigear to make it ready to fire.

Basically, aligning with their signature move, the Klink line in using such move effectively does so by using one of its minigears as a projectile, firing said minigear at the opponent as if it were a weapon. The original move name being "Gear Saucer" supports this as well.

What's really odd, however, is that the move itself is not animated to showcase this. Instead, Gear Grind's animation is two gears coming together onto the target and grinding together to cause damage. This is likely what caused the translation error and caused the move's name to become "Gear Grind instead". And this isn't just in Gen 5 either: every animation of Gear Grind since then has shown the move in such a manner as well: instead of a minigear being thrown, it is instead two gears interlocking with the target being squashed between the interlocking gears, then the two gears spin together to cause damage to the target, whereas the original move name and the description suggest instead that the move is either two minigears being fired as projectiles towards the opponent, or one minigear being fired twice, in both cases, the move's flavor is gears being fired like projectiles. It's very clear the move description and the move animation do not align, nor do they align with the flavor text of the Klink line. It's completely bizarre.
The move also makes contact. I guess because the gears used as projectiles are Klink's body parts, and after the move is over they return to the body? Like if one of them gets scratched up by a Rocky Helmet, those scratches are still gonna be there when it goes back to being an organ.

Klang:

Klinklang:

I actually didn't know this! Putting aside the English name of the move for a moment, it does feel pretty weird that the animation has always been at odds with its description (and Japanese name). I'm still going to try and defend its English name, though. While the name doesn't match up with the animation, any two objects can "grind" against each other. Calling it "Gear Grind" when the move involves sending two of its gears to hit the target isn't necessarily wrong, especially since the objects being gears implies the rotational motion they're known for, and hitting a target at high speed while spinning would, at least in my mind, constitute grinding something with a gear.

It's just... not what I envision when I think of an object being ground by gears (a visualization aided by the move's animation).

The interpretation of "shooting the gears, which then grind together" is actually how I always did it

The animation doesn't just show the gears grinding, they are coming together and then grinding. like clang (gear in place) clang (gear in place) vrrrr (they're grinding), you know?

It's something that makes a little more sense when there's more gears involved but I never really questioned it, so I can see the localizers thinking the same thing and then coming up with the name that matches that + the move animation + sounds intuitive and matches the animation.

Bellsprout and Oddish, who were both basically the poor man's Bulbasaur for those who chose Charmander or Squirtle, were also part Poison-type. And none of these really had any Poison-type attributes
Hey! raffleasia arnoldii is a corpse flower I'll have you know
Vileplume's and thus Oddish's poison typing is totally justified :<

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
1646624744890.png

I like white Basculin's design and think its pretty cool how very small changes give it a completely different personality from Red and Blue, and also think its kinda cool how they took a mon with multiple forms and decided to make a new one for it. That all said...

WHY DOES THIS THING EVEN EXIST???

Back when Basculegion was announced alongside Wyrdeer, we were all hyped for the return of Crossgen evos. Sure, there were some that doubted they were crossgens and not Regional Evolutions like Sirfetch'd. However, unlike the duck, Wyrdeer and Basculegion both just added a type to their monotyped prevo (and at that, in Wydeer's case a type that wouldn't make sense for a Stantler variant to get since Stantler is already heavily psychic-coded and in Basculegion's case, a type that wouldn't make sense for Basculin to get because the Ghost type was directly tied to the lore on how it evolves by getting possessed by fallen Basculin spirits) and both resembled their original forms a lot, Wyrdeer having nearly the same phisique as Stantler while Basculegion looked really close to what you'd expect of a Basculin evolution, most notably the fact it has Magenta stripes because it combines Red and Blue (With the shiny even making reference to this as well, being Purple stripe because that too is a combination of Red and Blue). Lore wise Wyrdeer continued on with Stantler's psychic antlers concept while Basculegion kept Basculin's aggressive disposition.

So why is it that one of these is a real, traditional cross gen evolution while the other is not?

I've also mentioned earlier how I like how it adds another form to a mon with previously established forms, but that addition is really bittersweet when White Stripe feels like a cop out just so that they don't do a regional variant that doesn't change the type.

Design wise, it doesn't really justify its existance given Male Legion actively looks more like Red Basculin and rather unrelated to White, and the evolution's stripes are gender-based either way so its not like them evolving from Red/Blue while having a White Female evo would be any more jarring than white having a Magenta evo.

Functionality wise, we know from datamines that it changes the ability from Rock Head/Reckless to Rattled, but that is quite literally the only change - which is literally MEANINGLESS for Legends because the game doesn't have abilities in the first place. If the games had Red or Blue Basculin in it, they would literally function no different than White currently does.

Lore wise it actively contradicts its evolution while its Red and Blue cousins don't. I would not have minded them pulling this form as much if it at least conceptually tied itself better to Basculegion, like how Cursola can't really be justified as a Johtonian corsola evo, but as I have mentioned before, White Basculin actively goes against Basculegion's lore. White Basculin is supposedly gentle while Basculegion is ruthless and aggressive. And sure, a mon changing personality when it evolves is nothing unheard of, but here you have a group of 3 mons where 2/3 are vicious and 1/3 is gentle, and then you give a vicious evolution to the gentle one while the two vicious one can't evolve into it.

I don't mind the form itself, but it REALLY annoys me that it was entirely missing from the game's advertisement, leading us to believe Basculegion was a traditional crossgen evolution; actively cucks Red/Blue from evolving and getting their own spotlights; and straight up has absolutely no justification whatsoever why this is the case rather than letting the OG ones evolve normally, in some cases even being a less sensical fit for being the one with an evolution than the other two.

I sincerely hope that there is some context we are missing and it turns out that Red/Blue can still evolve somehow, because this is genuinely one of the most infuriating cases of a mon not needing to exist and actively harms its other forms for literally no reason.

White Privilege, I tell you...

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
View attachment 411616

I like white Basculin's design and think its pretty cool how very small changes give it a completely different personality from Red and Blue, and also think its kinda cool how they took a mon with multiple forms and decided to make a new one for it. That all said...

WHY DOES THIS THING EVEN EXIST???

Back when Basculegion was announced alongside Wyrdeer, we were all hyped for the return of Crossgen evos. Sure, there were some that doubted they were crossgens and not Regional Evolutions like Sirfetch'd. However, unlike the duck, Wyrdeer and Basculegion both just added a type to their monotyped prevo (and at that, in Wydeer's case a type that wouldn't make sense for a Stantler variant to get since Stantler is already heavily psychic-coded and in Basculegion's case, a type that wouldn't make sense for Basculin to get because the Ghost type was directly tied to the lore on how it evolves by getting possessed by fallen Basculin spirits) and both resembled their original forms a lot, Wyrdeer having nearly the same phisique as Stantler while Basculegion looked really close to what you'd expect of a Basculin evolution, most notably the fact it has Magenta stripes because it combines Red and Blue (With the shiny even making reference to this as well, being Purple stripe because that too is a combination of Red and Blue). Lore wise Wyrdeer continued on with Stantler's psychic antlers concept while Basculegion kept Basculin's aggressive disposition.

So why is it that one of these is a real, traditional cross gen evolution while the other is not?

I've also mentioned earlier how I like how it adds another form to a mon with previously established forms, but that addition is really bittersweet when White Stripe feels like a cop out just so that they don't do a regional variant that doesn't change the type.

Design wise, it doesn't really justify its existance given Male Legion actively looks more like Red Basculin and rather unrelated to White, and the evolution's stripes are gender-based either way so its not like them evolving from Red/Blue while having a White Female evo would be any more jarring than white having a Magenta evo.

Functionality wise, we know from datamines that it changes the ability from Rock Head/Reckless to Rattled, but that is quite literally the only change - which is literally MEANINGLESS for Legends because the game doesn't have abilities in the first place. If the games had Red or Blue Basculin in it, they would literally function no different than White currently does.

Lore wise it actively contradicts its evolution while its Red and Blue cousins don't. I would not have minded them pulling this form as much if it at least conceptually tied itself better to Basculegion, like how Cursola can't really be justified as a Johtonian corsola evo, but as I have mentioned before, White Basculin actively goes against Basculegion's lore. White Basculin is supposedly gentle while Basculegion is ruthless and aggressive. And sure, a mon changing personality when it evolves is nothing unheard of, but here you have a group of 3 mons where 2/3 are vicious and 1/3 is gentle, and then you give a vicious evolution to the gentle one while the two vicious one can't evolve into it.

I don't mind the form itself, but it REALLY annoys me that it was entirely missing from the game's advertisement, leading us to believe Basculegion was a traditional crossgen evolution; actively cucks Red/Blue from evolving and getting their own spotlights; and straight up has absolutely no justification whatsoever why this is the case rather than letting the OG ones evolve normally, in some cases even being a less sensical fit for being the one with an evolution than the other two.

I sincerely hope that there is some context we are missing and it turns out that Red/Blue can still evolve somehow, because this is genuinely one of the most infuriating cases of a mon not needing to exist and actively harms its other forms for literally no reason.

White Privilege, I tell you...
The reason why white Basculin was created was probably because Legends: Arceus doesn't have abilities. They had a choice to make between bringing red / blue Basculin back as a solely aesthetic thing, which would undermine their initial gimmick, or creating a new stripe that can have a third, probably significantly stronger ability if it comes back in the future to continue the gimmick.

Basculin isn't called Basculin-Hisui, it's called Basculin-White-Stripe. As a result, Basculegion probably is a standard cross-gen evo like Wyrdeer is, but that won't be confirmed until future titles. If they wanted Basculin-White-Stripe and Basculegion to be their own thing in isolation, Basculin-White-Stripe would be a lot more distinctly designed compared with the standard Basculin forms anyway.

The reason why white Basculin was created was probably because Legends: Arceus doesn't have abilities. They had a choice to make between bringing red / blue Basculin back as a solely aesthetic thing, which would undermine their initial gimmick, or creating a new stripe that can have a third, probably significantly stronger ability if it comes back in the future to continue the gimmick.

Basculin isn't called Basculin-Hisui, it's called Basculin-White-Stripe. As a result, Basculegion probably is a standard cross-gen evo like Wyrdeer is, but that won't be confirmed until future titles. If they wanted Basculin-White-Stripe and Basculegion to be their own thing in isolation, Basculin-White-Stripe would be a lot more distinctly designed compared with the standard Basculin forms anyway.
No, I don’t think that’s it. I think they ended up creating a new Basculin form is because the whole gimmick behind Basculin is that one form is common and one is rare. In every game that Basculin has been catchable, you have one form that is common and the other is either rare or unavailable without trading. Not a very good gimmick considering the only actual difference is the ability; as a matter fact, they said in interviews that Basculin’s forms were not because they wanted to explore a new concept, but rather it was late in BW’s development and they realized they did not have enough “fish” Pokémon, so two forms were created to make up for that. I’m guessing that’s why Frillish and Jellicent got pretty drastic gender differences: to make up for the lack of fish Pokémon.

And btw, White-Striped Basculin are regional variants, it is stated in the Pokédex in-game, and TCG calls White-Striped Basculin Hisuian Basculin.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader

I see your point and I'd be inclined to agree with you, but since this game does also have Shelos on in, whose form changes is also purely aesthetic, I doubt that is the case. They could also have made a side quest for the shopkeeper or whatever where you need both forms to complete the quest. In regards to White's ability, datamines say it is Rattled, which isn't exactly going to be picked over Adaptability on the mon.

Do hope you are right about Red and Blue possibly still being able to evolve though. I don't particularly expect it, but since White technically is not a Regional Variant, they could still try to excuse Red and Blue also being able to evolve

Everyone keeps jumping through hoops to justify it but at the end of the day I think they just wanted a new basculin that could evolve with a gender gimmick to emphasize salmon behaviors (though the male basculegion really needed an exaggerated hump)

qtrx

cadaeic
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
An incredibly minor complaint: the internal ordering of Natures indicate that each of the five neutral natures are meant to be seen as increasing and decreasing the same stat:

Hardy (+Atk, -Atk)
Docile (+Def, -Def)
Serious (+Spe, -Spe)
Bashful (+SpA, -SpA)
Quirky (+SpD, -SpD)

However it bugs me a bit that Serious and Bashful seem like they should be swapped, considering the respective themes in other Spe (e.g. Timid, Naive) and SpA (e.g. Mild, Quiet) boosting natures.

I dislike how customization works in-game. The problem that I have with buying clothes and accessories is that they cost money, which means that you have less money for actually useful things like potions and tm's. I think there should be a different currency just for clothes, so that it doesn't interfere with the balancing of money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)