(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Blastoise/Mega Launcher: Mega Launcher makes sense, but in name only. I have no idea why Mega Launcher is a Pulse-powering up move. Already a "pulse" trait move is pretty niche. Aura Sphere ("Pulse Bomb" in Japanese) was originally a Signature Move for Lucario, Dark Pulse & Dragon Pulse exist only to be the default "strong" Dark & Dragon Special move when Gen IV did the Physical/Special Split, and Water Pulse I think was made to just be a mid-power Special Water-type move to fill in midlevel Move slots. Not to mention that, at the same time we got Mega Launcher, we also got Tough Claws. Tough Claws increases the Power of all Moves that make contact (aka most Physical Moves) to their opponent by 30%. Why wasn't Mega Launcher made a Special equivalent?
Tough Claws does notably not affect Rock Slide/Stone Edge and Earthquake, which are some of the moves used most commonly by Physical attackers. This is especially important as 3 of the 6 fully-evolved Tough Claws users are Rock-types, which ordinarily love the EdgeQuake combo. Though I don't know how intentional that is, it does make Tough Claws a bit more interesting than an Ability that simply provides a 30% Special Attack boost.

That being said, I am annoyed by the fact that they took a move that is generally restricted to rare Pokemon and legends and slapped it on two random aquatic creatures just because they had too few Pulse moves to play with otherwise.

Aura Sphere ("Pulse Bomb" in Japanese) was originally a Signature Move for Lucario
Aura Sphere was never Lucario's signature move, Togekiss and several legendaries (Mewtwo, Mew, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and kind of Raikou) have always also gotten it.
That being said, I am annoyed by the fact that they took a move that is generally restricted to rare Pokemon and legends and slapped it on two random aquatic creatures just because they had too few Pulse moves to play with otherwise.
Gen V also gave it Mienfoo/Mienshao, and then Gen 8 gave it to a bunch more Pokémon.
Wait, what? Why? How? Because of its blue hinges? Those count now? Yet not the the gems on:
  • The foreheads of Golduck, Tentacool family, Espeon, and the Lake Guardians?
  • The front/chest of Deoxys, Manaphy, and Phione?
  • The sides (and head) of the Amaura family?
  • The arch of Arceus?
  1. The Klink line and Mew are the only Pokémon that learn Power Gem via the TR that don't get it via level or at least got it via level in gen 7 in the case of Lunatone.
  2. Deoxys, Manaphy, Phione, and Arceus skipped SwSh.
Golduck and Espson are particularly egregious though, since both Persians get it via level. Espeon I can sort of get, since they don't like giving the Eeveelutions coverage.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Aura Sphere was never Lucario's signature move, Togekiss and several legendaries (Mewtwo, Mew, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and kind of Raikou) have always also gotten it.
You are correct, my bad. That said I do think it was made specifically for Lucario but then for whatever reason they decided to spread it out to a few other notable Pokemon.

Also another correction: Aura Sphere's Japanese name is "Wave Bomb" and not "Pulse Bomb".

Gen V also gave it Mienfoo/Mienshao, and then Gen 8 gave it to a bunch more Pokémon.
A batch I don't get. Why give it to the Hitmons, Lopunny, Gallade (but not Gardevoir, not even as an Egg Move), and Urshifu who have pretty low Special Attack? I can also think of a handful of other Pokemon who would have liked to have gotten it that wouldn't feel too out of place getting it.

A batch I don't get. Why give it to the Hitmons, Lopunny, Gallade (but not Gardevoir, not even as an Egg Move), and Urshifu who have pretty low Special Attack? I can also think of a handful of other Pokemon who would have liked to have gotten it that wouldn't feel too out of place getting it.
Tbh Aura Sphere is the kind of move that they almost exclusively gave out for flavour rather than applicability. As you pointed, most of the pokes that have it wouldn't use it anyway, but just sorta makes sense in some way due to their innate ability to manipulate force/energy/aura in some way (i have no fucking clue why lopunny though).
It's not the kind of move they've been giving around for gameplay purpose, that'd be Focus Miss which every other special attacker can learn.

In general I think they would rather keep Fighting as mainly a phisical type, the "special fighting attackers" are extremely rare (and do indeed usually learn Aura Sphere or signature moves), and Focus Blast mainly exists as a "high risk high reward" coverage option, sorta as counterpart to HJK.
Also would make sense because Steel's main reason to exist was to limit the power of Psychic types in gen 1 (and well, incidentally also limits the spammability of Dragon types later on), and they would rather not give easy access to coverage moves supereffective against it to psychic types. Fire type attacks are also somewhat rare, with Mystical Fire just recently getting a bit more (but still limited) distribution, and it also still being a low bp attack akin to elemental punches.

Between Aura Sphere and Close Combat, Lopunny became an honorary Fighting type to make up for its lost Mega Evolution. Plus, Gardevoir did gain Aura Sphere in its level up moveset in Legends, so we have to wait and see if it sticks.
I would always take Arceus moveset additions with a grain of salt, since some of them (like everyone and their mom learning quick attack) were done due to the lower amount of attacks available in order to fill certain holes.
It may very well be that the increased distribution of aura sphere may have been simply to cover the lack of Focus Blast.

Though I dont think it's impossible in this specific case for garde to get aura sphere since iirc Gallade learns it.

qtrx

cadaeic
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not exactly; the term "hadou" used in Aura Sphere is the same one used in all the other "pulse" moves that Mega Launcher boosts (including Origin Pulse). "Wave" and "pulse" are both correct translations.
These terms are not exactly the same. In the Japanese title for M08, はどう is spelled out with the kanji 波導 (meaning waveguide) instead of the usual 波動 (meaning wave/pulse). The former especially in the context of the Lucario movie is rendered as Aura in English.

These terms are not exactly the same. In the Japanese title for M08, はどう is spelled out with the kanji 波導 (meaning waveguide) instead of the usual 波動 (meaning wave/pulse). The former especially in the context of the Lucario movie is rendered as Aura in English.
Oh, I didn't know that! I have a very superficial understanding of Japanese and, as Pokémon move names are written in kana, I had no way of knowing that there were two similar terms with the same pronunciation. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm willing to guess that Game Freak made Aura Sphere be boosted with the other Pulse moves for the sake of simplicity.

When exactly have any of the other Pulse moves been referred to in kanji though?

qtrx

cadaeic
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When exactly have any of the other Pulse moves been referred to in kanji though?
Well it would be hard to imagine that the other moves are "Water Aura" or "Dragon Aura" all this time. 波導 is a very rare word* so 波動 is assumed otherwise.

* As in, not even a real word in Japanese afaik. The ordinary term for waveguide is 導波器; 波導 is actually Chinese for waveguide. The writers for M08 chose it probably because of the wordplay potential.

Well it would be hard to imagine that the other moves are "Water Aura" or "Dragon Aura" all this time. 波導 is a very rare word* so 波動 is assumed otherwise.

* As in, not even a real word in Japanese afaik. The ordinary term for waveguide is 導波器; 波導 is actually Chinese for waveguide. The writers for M08 chose it probably because of the wordplay potential.
When is "waveguide" even used outside of a Pokémon (and specifically Lucario/M08) context :smogthink:

It is a technical term for... a thing that guides waves (wikipedia). Shows up in most fields that involve waves.
So... hm. [This is mostly rhetorical] Is this why Lucario is part Steel? Its body is literally a "waveguide" that can channel emotions/fighting spirit? And the spikes on its body pick up waves?

I'm learning things here.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Tbh Aura Sphere is the kind of move that they almost exclusively gave out for flavour rather than applicability. As you pointed, most of the pokes that have it wouldn't use it anyway, but just sorta makes sense in some way due to their innate ability to manipulate force/energy/aura in some way (i have no fucking clue why lopunny though).
It's not the kind of move they've been giving around for gameplay purpose, that'd be Focus Miss which every other special attacker can learn.
Well here's my list on Pokemon who I think should get it:

• Gen I:
    * Vulpix (visioned as Egg Move; Ninetails at the very least feels like it can be a minor aura manipulator with its supernatural powers)
    * Growlithe (with its general role as guardian dogs I can see it being pure hearted)
    * Eevee (due to its gimmick I can see it being a sort of chi channeller)
    * Abra (visioned as Egg Move; Psychic powers are strong enough it can be a minor aura/energy manipulator)
    * Mime Jr./Mr. Mime (visioned as Egg Move; I can see their miming ability giving them chi channelling insights)
    * Magmortar (gets projectile moves)
    * Chansey family (minor aura/energy manipulators; albeit mostly for healing purposes but they learn plenty of Special moves)
  • Gen II:
    * Mareep (visioned as Egg Move; why do I have Mareep? I guess since it can generate electricity/light & with Ampharos having hidden dragon traits I see it as a minor energy manipulator?)
    * Remoraid (gets projectile moves)

• Gen III:
    * Meditite family (chi channellers similar to the Mienfoo family)
    * Luvdisc (minor aura manipulator; plus thought it would be funny)
    * Latios (Legendary aura manipulator or close enough; didn't give to Latias as -os is the offensive focused one)
    * Kygore (Legendary with a power adjacent to life force/energy)
    * Rayquaza (Legendary with power adjacent to energy)
    * Deoxys (Legendary with power adjacent to energy)

• Gen IV:
    * Infernape (give the Son Wukong Pokemon the Kamehameha move)
    * Azelf (Legendary aura manipulator or close enough; only gave to Azelf as its the offense focused one)
    * Arceus (how does the Spacetime Trio get it but not Arceus?!)

• Gen V:
    *Audino (minor aura/energy manipulators; albeit mostly for healing purposes but they learn plenty of Special moves)
    * Gothita (visioned as Egg Move; its ability to read the stars can make it a minor aura manipulators)
    * Solosis family (minor energy manipulators)
    * Elgyem (visioned as Egg Move; Has strong memory affecting powers which could make it a minor aura manipulator)
    * Alomomola (minor aura manipulator; it's both a healer and also cause I gave it to Luvdisc)
    * Sigilyph (visioned as Egg Move; its generally enigmatic so can see it being either an energy manipulator or channeller)
    * Zorua (visioned as Egg Move; power to create illusions can make it a minor aura/energy manipulator)
    * Kyurem (Legendary with a power adjacent to life force/energy; decided not to give it to Reshiram as its technically half of a whole and I feel that would give it some mental biases preventing it getting this special move... yes I'm saying Luvdisc is more mentally whole than Reshiram)
    * Meloetta (Legendary Special Fighting-type (sometimes); Has a pure heart)
    * Victini (Legendary aura manipulator/generator)

• Gen VI:
    * Flabebe (visioned as Egg Move; they're empaths so can be a minor aura manipulator)
    * Amaura family (minor aura(?) manipulators)
    * Aura Trio (Legendary aura manipulators)

• Gen VII:
    * Vikavolt (gets projectile moves)
    * Lunala (Legendary energy manipulator)
    * Necrozma (Legendary energy manipulator)
    * Pheromosa (chi channeller?)

FUN FACT: In addition to Gardevoir I also had Latios (but not Latias for reasons), Keldeo & Kommo-o on my list.

When people make maps of the Johto region and connect Cianwood City to the mainland >:(
Wait, what? Why would they do that? Cianwood is clearly on an island, in the games you need a boat to get to it (and later on can just Surf over to it if you feel like it). That's like connecting Cinnabar Island or Sootopolis to the main land. :smogthink:

I would always take Arceus moveset additions with a grain of salt, since some of them (like everyone and their mom learning quick attack) were done due to the lower amount of attacks available in order to fill certain holes.
Eh, that's a lot of Moves for them to program HOME to delete if you transfer them. Now they might not normally available, but they could be added as Tutor moves.

Cianwood is clearly on an island, in the games you need a boat to get to it (and later on can just Surf over to it if you feel like it).
There is no point in any game where you take a boat to Cianwood, Cianwood's in Johto.
Are confusing it with Dewford in Hoenn?
Echoing R_N , HOME was specifically programmed with this weird separate movesets for bdsp/swsh/la exactly because otherwise they would have needed ludicrous amounts of either placeholders or "pls delete this" tags different per each game
Also they would have had to update SwSh and PLA to include placeholders for the new PLA moves.

Echoing R_N , HOME was specifically programmed with this weird separate movesets for bdsp/swsh/la exactly because otherwise they would have needed ludicrous amounts of either placeholders or "pls delete this" tags different per each game
Which they already do, incidentally. All the unused SWSH moves are "in" PLA & BDSP just with the "Please delete this" tag. The separate tags are honestly probably just them just trying to smooth the system out. Don't want to deal with introducing [normal] moves from BDSP & LA back into SWSH that you can only learn in BDSP/LA and dont want to deal with bringing over a SWSH pokemon and hten having to delete 3/4ths of their moveset.

If they're going to keep having games do wild things with the moves moving forward (either weird inconcsistent cuts or new moves or new old moves or different movesets entirely) I can see this staying true to SV. At the very least I imagine SV will "reset" BDSP & LA; SWSH perhaps they just keep moving forward since its sort of the defacto "normal" but even then I wouldn't be surprised if maybe they tweak various odds and ends and decide to just reset.
There is no point in any game where you take a boat to Cianwood, Cianwood's in Johto.
Are confusing it with Dewford in Hoenn?

Also they would have had to update SwSh and PLA to include placeholders for the new PLA moves.
Strictly speaking all they'd need to do is disallow PLA moves from going into SWSH (something Bank already did with ORAS in gen 6 & USUM in gen 7)

Strictly speaking all they'd need to do is disallow PLA moves from going into SWSH (something Bank already did with ORAS in gen 6 & USUM in gen 7)
The thing is, it's not practical. One thing is when you are disallowing on "forward only" movement. Different is, when you need to disallow on games that have to keep separate data between each other AND need to be able to transfer to each other.
This is expecially problematic for TR / egg moves that may not be in a given game: what do you do with a pokemon that knows a egg move in BDSP that doesn't exist in SwSh/SV? Do you constantly force the player to delete moves (potentially, non relearnable ones like limited TMs in BDSP or legacy moves if carrying from older games) every time they want to move a pokemon to Home?
Sure you "can" but it's extremely annoying.

The separate moveset was the obvious choice. I'm still on the assumption that SV will "keep" the SwSh data and BDSP/LA will just be their own exceptional thing, but I mean, that's just speculation as we know, and with the "update rate" of Home, I doubt we'll be seeing compatibility with SV until at very least early 2023.

The thing is, it's not practical. One thing is when you are disallowing on "forward only" movement. Different is, when you need to disallow on games that have to keep separate data between each other AND need to be able to transfer to each other.
This is expecially problematic for TR / egg moves that may not be in a given game: what do you do with a pokemon that knows a egg move in BDSP that doesn't exist in SwSh/SV? Do you constantly force the player to delete moves (potentially, non relearnable ones like limited TMs in BDSP or legacy moves if carrying from older games) every time they want to move a pokemon to Home?
Sure you "can" but it's extremely annoying.

The separate moveset was the obvious choice. I'm still on the assumption that SV will "keep" the SwSh data and BDSP/LA will just be their own exceptional thing, but I mean, that's just speculation as we know, and with the "update rate" of Home, I doubt we'll be seeing compatibility with SV until at very least early 2023.
That specific part of the post was meant for things like the actual new moves, in a scenario where they were fine with the others

I had another contribution to this thread in mind today, but considering the current topic...

I really don't like how they've haphazardly cut a bunch of moves.

It doesn't seem too bad late-game, even though some important coverage options got axed, since most of the reliable STAB options are available. (RIP Normal though.)

But man, it really hurts the mid-game. You'd be surprised at how many mons got put in a terrible situation just for losing a couple of 65-70BP moves.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned deucer.
Pokemon's room for skillset variety and "creativity" is already not even that good, so it's kinda ironic you would have to pay for that just to get certain skills with the possibility of not even being able to use them at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 11, Guests: 11)