(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

I have brought up about Leech Life from another thread so I reposted it.
And why doesn't they make a new move as an upgraded spell in RPG? (for example, Fira to Firaga) (or even pokemon example, Water Gun to Surf) (or fellow draining Absorb, Mega Drain, and Giga Drain)

So it would be like 20BP Leech Life to 80BP "Bloodsuck" or something

Then call it "Life Drain" or something if we need a name for a hypothetical upgraded version.

Leech Life's distribution overhaul is also weird because it's not like Bug-Draining Coverage is a Tier-0 move or anything that would break a Pokemon as far as I can tell. It's mediocre coverage, and for actual Bugs, most of them have a STAB about that strong anyway if they use Phys. If they insist on buffing instead of a variant, it's not like any current holder gets absurd from the existing move since it was so weak as to inevitably be replaced even in early-game Movepools.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
1663099525159.png
1663099539095.png

I fucking hate it here why can't we get ports of old mainline games at this level. Game Freak listen if you genuinely care so little then please just commission Bandai or Square or ILCA or whoever the fuck to do FF Pixel Remasters but for Gens 1-5.

But seriously. We got Pokemon Ranger and Mystery Dungeon Explorers on Wii U eshop but no DPPt. Puzzle League, OG Snap and now the Stadium duology are on Switch but no sign of RBY. What is their problem? Sorry if I sound a bit heated over videogames here, and I especially don't wanna be overly accusatory of Game Freak, but at a certain point I just gotta throw my hands up in the air and go "Aight bro, what's the gameplan here?".

I already made a post along this wavelength like a year ago where I said it was my biggest problem with the current state of Pokemon. I stand by that opinion and if anything it's only gotten worse. Pokemon has reached the age where a bunch of the marketing, merchandise and tie-ins now more than ever emphasize the overall legacy of the series rather than any one specific region or generation, and yet they refuse to open up that legacy to new players. Hey kid, like that cool guy named Wallace on that recent secret rare you pulled in our latest TCG set? Oooh, how about that awesome Sygna Suit we added for Rosa in Masters? Ain't she neat? Look at these lovingly crafted animations of the most iconic moments from past regions! Don't you wanna play those yourself? Don't you wanna experience those Pokemon, characters and scenes as they were originally created, in the palm of your hands? Well too bad!

View attachment 453081View attachment 453082
I fucking hate it here why can't we get ports of old mainline games at this level. Game Freak listen if you genuinely care so little then please just commission Bandai or Square or ILCA or whoever the fuck to do FF Pixel Remasters but for Gens 1-5.

But seriously. We got Pokemon Ranger and Mystery Dungeon Explorers on Wii U eshop but no DPPt. Puzzle League, OG Snap and now the Stadium duology are on Switch but no sign of RBY. What is their problem? Sorry if I sound a bit heated over videogames here, and I especially don't wanna be overly accusatory of Game Freak, but at a certain point I just gotta throw my hands up in the air and go "Aight bro, what's the gameplan here?".

I already made a post along this wavelength like a year ago where I said it was my biggest problem with the current state of Pokemon. I stand by that opinion and if anything it's only gotten worse. Pokemon has reached the age where a bunch of the marketing, merchandise and tie-ins now more than ever emphasize the overall legacy of the series rather than any one specific region or generation, and yet they refuse to open up that legacy to new players. Hey kid, like that cool guy named Wallace on that recent secret rare you pulled in our latest TCG set? Oooh, how about that awesome Sygna Suit we added for Rosa in Masters? Ain't she neat? Look at these lovingly crafted animations of the most iconic moments from past regions! Don't you wanna play those yourself? Don't you wanna experience those Pokemon, characters and scenes as they were originally created, in the palm of your hands? Well too bad!
It could be worse. It could be Fire Emblem, which is doing a lot of the same focus on legacy characters despite still having significant portions of that legacy being Japan-only.

Unfortunately, in Pokemon's case, I have a feeling that the issue is going to get worse instead of better. The revisits to old regions are increasingly their own things instead of retelling the original stories, which means that the series having consistent revisits is becoming less helpful as a way of exploring any stories that someone may have missed the first time around.

It could be worse. It could be Fire Emblem, which is doing a lot of the same focus on legacy characters despite still having significant portions of that legacy being Japan-only.
FE having 5 of its games on NES & SNES means that a lot of its legacy gets secured...in Japan. So that's something.

Still wanna know what bizarre set of circumstances lead to the Shadow Dragon NES switch localization, though.
Unfortunately, in Pokemon's case, I have a feeling that the issue is going to get worse instead of better. The revisits to old regions are increasingly their own things instead of retelling the original stories, which means that the series having consistent revisits is becoming less helpful as a way of exploring any stories that someone may have missed the first time around.
Honestly I'd say the revisits still retain enough of the original DNA that the difference is neglible and people interested in "revisiting" will just...not care?

And then, of course, there's BDSP....

Honestly I'd say the revisits still retain enough of the original DNA that the difference is neglible and people interested in "revisiting" will just...not care?
Let's Go for Kanto? Maybe. Legends: Arceus for Sinnoh? About the only thing that's the same is the geography. It has a lot of references to DPPt, but it is not a substitute for them. BDSP may not have been much of a step forward, but they aren't 100m to the side.

Let's Go for Kanto? Maybe. Legends: Arceus for Sinnoh? About the only thing that's the same is the geography. It has a lot of references to DPPt, but it is not a substitute for them. BDSP may not have been much of a step forward, but they aren't 100m to the side.
Legends Arceus revisted Sinnoh in a roundabout, significantly more original way yes but also it's physically impossible for me to care that it's different when BDSP is right there

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I think the scenario Ironmage is describing is if/when we get another game like Legends but this time there's no accompanying regular remake because the subseries/general idea of returning to an old region in a fresh new way is established enough to where something like BDSP won't need to be pumped out as a weird overly cautious crutch. I think this is a very possible and even likely scenario, but that's neither here nor there.

Heck, remakes/revisits need to be preserved too! Daily reminder that HGSS is older now than GSC was when it came out.

I think the scenario Ironmage is describing is if/when we get another game like Legends but this time there's no accompanying regular remake because the subseries/general idea of returning to an old region in a fresh new way is established enough to where something like BDSP won't need to be pumped out as a weird overly cautious crutch. I think this is a very possible and even likely scenario, but that's neither here nor there.

Heck, remakes/revisits need to be preserved too! Daily reminder that HGSS is older now than GSC was when it came out.
BDSP sold gangbusters in a 1 month time span somehow I don't think they're going to abandon that fully for the sake of full LA styled games moving forward

One of the weirder things about Pokemon Colosseum is that there is absolutely no way to see any Gen I Pokemon not in the Hoenn Dex without trading them over from the GBA games. What makes it even odder is that the Gen II evolutions of those Pokemon are allowed to appear, most glaringly they were among four catchable Pokemon in the game: the starter Espeon and Umbreon (who are always Male so that way player's couldn't get Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon, or Flareon before FRLG made Ditto available), the Shadow Hitmontop(whose species is always Male so no Tyrogue and thus Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan) and the Japan-only Shadow Scizor(who is always Male so no Scyther). For those that are NOT catchable, most of them skill appear in the rosters of trainers, but their Gen I relatives who are also not in the Hoenn dex are completely absent.

In fact, the only non-Gen II Pokemon catchable in Colosseum are all Gen III Pokemon. You can't even get any Gen I Pokemon that are native to Hoenn.

One of the weirder things about Pokemon Colosseum is that there is absolutely no way to see any Gen I Pokemon not in the Hoenn Dex without trading them over from the GBA games. What makes it even odder is that the Gen II evolutions of those Pokemon are allowed to appear, most glaringly they were among four catchable Pokemon in the game: the starter Espeon and Umbreon (who are always Male so that way player's couldn't get Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon, or Flareon before FRLG made Ditto available), the Shadow Hitmontop(whose species is always Male so no Tyrogue and thus Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan) and the Japan-only Shadow Scizor(who is always Male so no Scyther). For those that are NOT catchable, most of them skill appear in the rosters of trainers, but their Gen I relatives who are also not in the Hoenn dex are completely absent.

In fact, the only non-Gen II Pokemon catchable in Colosseum are all Gen III Pokemon. You can't even get any Gen I Pokemon that are native to Hoenn.
I mean that's not weird, that was clearly a purposeful design conceit likely since FRLG was mid-development and clearly where they wanted the Gen 1 pokemon to be brought in full with. Meanwhile Colosseum was designed to get them access to (most of the ) gen 2 mons; as such they also did not want to even show the other non-gen 1 mons probably so you don't wonder why you can't catch them .

So in that light the weirder thing is that last sentence, not the ones before it. In total there are a grand total of 4 pokemon who you couldn't get in RS but still show up in trainer rosters:
-Blissey, on Venus's Deep Colosseum set
-Porygon2 on a one of the "elite 4" type trainers for the Realgem final gauntlet
-Slowking, on Evice's team
-Scizor, also on Evice's team. As you also noted you could get this one out of the E-reader cards.

And it's just like...why, though? If you didn't want the player to capture them, okay (Blissey in particular is understandable, being Female only and obviously they don't want you getting Chansey), but why include them at all? Bit of an unenforced error; it's not like they included the various babies (there's TONS of trainers with weak unevolved pokemon so it'd have been easy to have babies you can't capture), Unown, Steelix or Politoed anywhere. 3 of these are in the same string of 5 battles, 2 of them being on the same team, and then the last one is deep in the post game so it's not even a thing of "oh you see them all the time, frustrating but whatever" type deal.
And of course the added weirdness of they could have let you catch Porygon2, Slowking and (non-ereader) Scizor pretty easily? Porygon2 cant breed without a ditto and the latter 2 could just be locked to male. Just put them on different trainers.

Honestly feels like an oversight sometimes.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
View attachment 453081View attachment 453082

Forgive my ignorance since I never had a Wii U (did anyone actually?) but how did Ranger work on that?

I mean that's not weird, that was clearly a purposeful design conceit likely since FRLG was mid-development and clearly where they wanted the Gen 1 pokemon to be brought in full with. Meanwhile Colosseum was designed to get them access to (most of the ) gen 2 mons; as such they also did not want to even show the other non-gen 1 mons probably so you don't wonder why you can't catch them .

So in that light the weirder thing is that last sentence, not the ones before it. In total there are a grand total of 4 pokemon who you couldn't get in RS but still show up in trainer rosters:
-Blissey, on Venus's Deep Colosseum set
-Porygon2 on a one of the "elite 4" type trainers for the Realgem final gauntlet
-Slowking, on Evice's team
-Scizor, also on Evice's team. As you also noted you could get this one out of the E-reader cards.

And it's just like...why, though? If you didn't want the player to capture them, okay (Blissey in particular is understandable, being Female only and obviously they don't want you getting Chansey), but why include them at all? Bit of an unenforced error; it's not like they included the various babies (there's TONS of trainers with weak unevolved pokemon so it'd have been easy to have babies you can't capture), Unown, Steelix or Politoed anywhere. 3 of these are in the same string of 5 battles, 2 of them being on the same team, and then the last one is deep in the post game so it's not even a thing of "oh you see them all the time, frustrating but whatever" type deal.
And of course the added weirdness of they could have let you catch Porygon2, Slowking and (non-ereader) Scizor pretty easily? Porygon2 cant breed without a ditto and the latter 2 could just be locked to male. Just put them on different trainers.

Honestly feels like an oversight sometimes.
(Venus has a Steelix in her first battle)

(Venus has a Steelix in her first battle)
Bah, knew there was a place I forgot to check. I went down the pokeearth list on serebii and must have skipped the Station you fight her with (side note its really funny looking at those old serebii pages and their ancient tables...and gonzap's erroneous Growlithe lol).

The GamePad has a stylus.

I think their excuse for not re-releasing mainline Pokémon games very often is that they want to preserve the trading aspect, which isn't easy to emulate.
That's probably definitely part of it. I don't think any of the GBA or DS VC titles supported multiplayer at all, likely not helped by not...really...being able to do local multiplayer. It definitely feels like a gamefreak/nintendo way of looking at them: we can't just bring Pokemon over without trading! But also we can't just implement trading in an emulator on a console that can't even do it to begin with.

Also there was no Bank on Wii U, and they really wanted you to take your Pokemon with you

Probably because the Wii U was a big flop so they didn't see it worth putting the effort in on those hypothetical VC titles or nor putting Bank on the Wii U that would exist purely to interact with VC titles and nothing else.

if it were more successful, who knows, maybe they'd have gone whole hog with both?

the wii u was such a flop people barely knew the gamepad had a touch screen with a stylus

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tbh when the Wii U first came out I thought it was similar to the DSi for about a month. Though that may have been because I was caught up in Year 12 exams and post-grad celebrations. (also cos it had no new interesting games with it!)

Crackpot idea incoming (not really something that bugs me, just something I noticed).

The item Toxic Orb, when Flung, inflicts the target with Toxic poison.

The item Flame Orb, when Flung, inflicts the target with Burn.

The item Light Ball, when Flung, inflicts the target with Paralysis.

...The Light Ball should paralyze the holder.

Rock Head and Reckless affect different groups of moves. Or more specifically, when they were giving Hitmonlee a signature ability in Gen 4, the devs were like "well we want to buff the Jump Kicks but there aren't enough kick moves to justify making Iron Foot" so instead of updating what moves were considered "recoil moves" to include the Jump Kicks, they created an entirely new category that was just the recoil moves + the Jump Kicks.

No Pokemon with Rock Head learns Jump Kick or High Jump Kick, so it wouldn't have affected any game balance. It also would have opened up the possibility for a risk-free Jump Kick user in the future, which would have been neat.

Rock Head and Reckless affect different groups of moves. Or more specifically, when they were giving Hitmonlee a signature ability in Gen 4, the devs were like "well we want to buff the Jump Kicks but there aren't enough kick moves to justify making Iron Foot" so instead of updating what moves were considered "recoil moves" to include the Jump Kicks, they created an entirely new category that was just the recoil moves + the Jump Kicks.

No Pokemon with Rock Head learns Jump Kick or High Jump Kick, so it wouldn't have affected any game balance. It also would have opened up the possibility for a risk-free Jump Kick user in the future, which would have been neat.
I mean that capability does exist, just give High Jump Kick to something with Magic Guard instead of Rock Head.

I mean, at least they bothered to separate the effects, unlike in Gen V where Sheer Force is allowed to negate Life Orb damage because it's a secondary effect.

I mean, at least they bothered to separate the effects, unlike in Gen V where Sheer Force is allowed to negate Life Orb damage because it's a secondary effect.
Sheer Force is especially weird since while it can negate effects not directly attached to a move (such as Life Orb and Color Change), it doesn't actually check for them. It only negates these effects if the attack used is already being affected by Sheer Force.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 10)