(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Literally only for Scizor. You know, the Pokemon who famously never uses Technician because it doesn't get any moves that synergize with it. It really is baffling why Game Freak would go so long without giving Scizor a Technician tool that it can make its own.

60 power U-turn and Tough Claws Weavile are things Arkm has already complained about it the Unpopular Opinions thread. It seems they have realized other threads exist, but still haven't quite grasped that this subforum isn't a place to pitch their ideas for a community ROM hack. The bit about special and mixed attackers is new, though.

Here are the number of physical, special, and mixed attackers, assuming it requires an offensive stat greater than or equal to 90 to be considered proficient.

Physical: 203
Special: 133
Mixed: 137

Here are the results again, filtered for fully evolved Pokemon.

Physical: 166
Special: 104
Mixed: 125

While there significantly more physical attackers than special or mixed attackers, about 1.5x more than either and making up about 40% of all offensive Pokemon as a whole, I would not go so far as to say there "so few" special and mixed attackers.

Showdown commands used in the methodology:
/nds attack >= 90, special attack < 90
/nds attack < 90, special attack >= 90
/nds attack >= 90, special attack >= 90
/nds attack >= 90, special attack < 90, fe
/nds attack < 90, special attack >= 90, fe
/nds attack >= 90, special attack >= 90, fe
How are there more mixed attackers than special attackers?

Anyways, my comment was regarding OU in mind

For a mon to be a good attacker in OU it needs to hve atleast 110 stats in attack unless u have some broken ability(like tough claws, huge power, guts, sheer force etc) or broken move(like bolt beak, fishous rend, head smash etc)

Physical : 119
Special : 81
Mixed : 49

While there are decent amount of special attackers, the are very few mixed. But my comment wasn't just regard to BST. Special moves generally have bad distribution, lower power and accuracy compared to physical moves. Compare flare blitz and focus blast to fire blast and close combat. Also the lack of special priority moves.

Also, Why does Swampert not have shore up?
Why does Snorlax not have slack off?
Why is Sunflora not fire/grass type?
Why is Lucario slow?

What, and 10 less BP would nerf these other mons? Lando doesn’t care if it does a bit less damage with U-Turn, it uses it to get a guaranteed counter-switch if the opponent switches out. Don’t pretend you have any justification for this besides Scizor.
It will decrease chip damage. Nerfing it to 50 will make it too weak.

Last edited:
Also, Why does Swampert not have shore up?
Because its design has nothing to do with sand???
Why is Lucario slow?
It is faster than an average fully-evolved Pokemon and slightly faster than an average fully-evolved Fighting type. If you're asking "why isn't it fast by OU standards" it's because 1) they made it that way and 2) Pokemon shouldn't be designed to constantly stay at OU level.

Because its design has nothing to do with sand???
To add on this is, the move is called "Sand Gather" in Japanese, implying that Sandygast/Palossand are gathering up nearby sand to repair the damage done to their body, which is also why it heals more during a sandstorm. Last I checked, Swampert is not made of sand and thus would not crumble if damaged(or at least, I hope it wouldn't)

Last edited:
Things that annoy me in Pokemon: People posting the same topic after repeatedly posting their faulty logic in another thread because it wasn't met with much agreement there.

For a real listing, Gamefreak seems to have this insistence on ignoring or missing the flaws in their design of certain types, like the infamous Slow-Bulky Ice-Type. This isn't me saying they should always be Glass Cannon speedsters like Weavile, but they seem to think if they just keep trying and pumping up numbers that it'll work (see Avalugg) as opposed to just giving them abilities or tools that would compensate Ice's shortcomings (Playing more into Hail, reasonably applicable bulky abilities like Fur Coat, status access with defensive utility, better solutions to Hazard weakness, etc)

I want special tough claws, guts, huge power, iron fist, moxie, strong jaw
…How exactly would special Strong Jaw or Iron Fist for example work? Not everything physical needs a 1:1 special counterpart, it takes away part of what makes the game interesting (also why I dislike Frostbite). Special Moxie is Grim Neigh and Soul-Heart.

…How exactly would special Strong Jaw or Iron Fist for example work? Not everything physical needs a 1:1 special counterpart, it takes away part of what makes the game interesting (also why I dislike Frostbite). Special Moxie is Grim Neigh and Soul-Heart.
Special strong jaw would increase the power of sound based moves by 1.5. Give it to Exploud

Special strong jaw would increase the power of sound based moves by 1.5. Give it to Exploud
...There already IS an ability that increases the power of sound moves(by 1.3x IIRC). It is the signature Ability of Toxtricity. It also has the bonus of halving the power of sound-based moves used on the Pokemon with Punk Rock.

Last edited:
It's interesting how many penalties physical attackers have (Rocky Helmet, Rough Skin, Burn, Intimidate, most moves for substitute), yet cuz EQ is so nice, they still thrive
It helps that Earthquake doesn't make contact.

Also, Lucario is slow (ie: base 90) because of power creep; Pokémon with a base speed above 100 used to be relatively rare. Garchomp having 102 speed was apparently a huge deal back then because it outsped Salamence.

I'm also reminded of when I started playing Temtem, and was surprised to learn that the base stat numbers are much lower than Pokémon, to the point where base 70 is considered good and there's hardly any min-maxing. The only Temtem with a Pokémon-like stat distribution is Oceara.

...There already IS an ability that increases the power of sound moves(by 1.3x IIRC). It is the signature Ability of Toxtricity. It also has the bonus of halving the power of sound-based moves used on the Pokemon with Punk Rock.
But as usual power is nerfed with some niche effects which it's not benefit from. Also no sound based stabs.

But how would special Tough Claws or Iron Fist work? Makes no sense
The first: boost Special moves that make contact (there are currently six in the game).
special contact moves.png

The second: boost Special fist-based moves (there are currently none).

Also worth noting is that Tough Claws boosts the power of the Pokémon's contact moves by 30% (not just Physical ones), while Iron Fist causes the power of affected punching moves to increase by 20% (again, not just Physical ones).

??

Tough Claws boost contact moves 1.5x Iron Fist boost punch based moves 1.2x

U can make an ability which boost Ballistic moves

or an ability which boosts Wave moves
Those aren’t “special Tough Claws” and “special Iron Fist” those are “Tough Claws for ballistic moves” and “Iron Fist for wave moves”

While something like Huge Power you can just swap the category to make special, something like Tough Claws you have to define a whole different type of attack? That’s not a special version that’s a whole new ability

Anyway you’re ignoring the important part of my post:
Not everything physical needs a 1:1 special counterpart, it takes away part of what makes the game interesting [by effectively making phys/spec interchangeable] (also why I dislike Frostbite).

Poor distribution
You didn’t say “there should be a special variant of Iron Fist that’s widely distributed” you said “there should be a special variant of Iron Fist”. Moreover, a wave-boosting ability (unsure what this even means but I’d assume Surf, Muddy Water, and Sludge Wave) isn’t a special variant of Iron Fist, it’s an entirely new ability that boosts wave moves. Whereas Grim Neigh is simply Moxie but Attack is changed to Special Attack, there’s no way to directly make Iron Fist have a counterpart for special moves (and Iron Fist already would affect special moves if there were any special punch moves), you have to make a whole new ability that effects a different class of moves. I’ve said that twice, I don’t know why it isn’t registering for you.

So earlier today I was thinking about how unforgiving Electro Ball's damage formula is, and thought "Gyro Ball is a good move, what if Electro Ball's damage was just the inverse of Gyro Ball?" but it turns out that in almost any given matchup one Pokemon's Electro Ball is stronger than the other Pokemon's Gyro Ball, so making Electro Ball the inverse of Gyro Ball would actually be a nerf.

1663550381429.png

This graph compares the base power of Gyro Ball and Electro Ball in a given matchup, Electro Ball in red and Gyro Ball in blue. The y-axis shows how strong the move is, while the x-axis shows how many times faster the faster Pokemon is than the slower Pokemon. Electro Ball consistently stays above Gyro Ball and maxes out at 4x faster, which Gyro Ball doesn't match until nearly 6x faster.

It frustrates me just how bad Electro Ball is. Even when it's copying the homework of an actually good move it still fucks up.

Accuracy/Evasion-affecting moves.

I don't think I need to elaborate.
Oh, come on. Surely you definitely need to elaborate on why Sand-Attack and Minimize and Double Team are such fun game design and not a literal time wasting simulator that isn’t really impacted by player skill whatsoever.

right?

in all seriousness FRLG is the absolute worst for that. Sand-Attack makes every battle with the rival’s Pidgey line a chore and for the wrong reasons

related: Double Team Static Emolga is awful, which is a shame as I actually like Emolga’s design, animation is top tier cute

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 8)