(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Eh, Sniper mainly belongs to Pokémon that use projectiles (and Drapion for some reason).
And Beedrill, Spearow family, Spinarak family, and Binacle family.

And no, Sniper's Japanese name is also "Sniper", I have no idea why they named the Ability that. I can only guess they were going with the idea that when a sniper takes a shot it's when it would be the most "effective" (aka deadly) thus when the Pokemon with this Ability lands a Critical Hit they're also going to make sure its the most effective hit. Honestly the Ability's name should be something more like "Sore Point".

No it isn't.
Salamence's weight is 226.2 lbs. (102.6 kg). Mega Salamence's weight is 248.2 lbs. (112.6 kg).
Alolan Raticate's weight is 56.2 lbs. (25.5 kg).
Learn to read, dumbass.
Now now, there's no need to be mean. For one thing they could just be misremembering something. Because:

That said, Salamence being even smaller than Charizard, who is already infamously small but at least has the excuse of "it's a starter it only needs to be big by little kid standards", is upsetting.
Pokemon Height & Weight is stupid.

Height: Already has the infamous problem of "what way are the measuring" cause it seems to change depending on Pokemon. Is it actually height, head to foot? Is it length like head to tail? Some winged Pokemon feel like they're reporting their wingspan as their Height. Taking the above example, Charizard is logically measured head to foot as its a biped. However Salamence, a quadruped, should be measured lengthwise head to tail, but it seemingly also goes head to foot. Thus it makes Salamence sound smaller when it's like 3x Charizard's size in area coverage.

Weight: Did you know Mudsdale is the 7th heaviest Pokemon? It is heavier than most Legendaries (notable Dialga, Zygarde, Regigigas, & Necrozma), Guzzlord, Stakataka, Steelix, Metagross, Copperajah, Snorlax, Aggron, Golurk, Dhelmise, and Tyranitar. Mega Glalie is heavier than Zekrom, Buzzwole, and Golurk? Palossand is heavier than Cobalion, Gyarados, Necrozma, & Solgaleo? Lugia is lighter than Lapras, Araquanid, and Mantine? And that's not getting into the smaller numbers which are just all over the place, could probably make it into "which Pokemon is heavier" game and no matter the logic they put into it people would still be wrong half the time.

Weight: Did you know Mudsdale is the 7th heaviest Pokemon? It is heavier than most Legendaries (notable Dialga, Zygarde, Regigigas, & Necrozma), Guzzlord, Stakataka, Steelix, Metagross, Copperajah, Snorlax, Aggron, Golurk, Dhelmise, and Tyranitar. Mega Glalie is heavier than Zekrom, Buzzwole, and Golurk? Palossand is heavier than Cobalion, Gyarados, Necrozma, & Solgaleo? Lugia is lighter than Lapras, Araquanid, and Mantine? And that's not getting into the smaller numbers which are just all over the place, could probably make it into "which Pokemon is heavier" game and no matter the logic they put into it people would still be wrong half the time.
The funniest part of Mudsdale being so heavy is that it's not that much bigger than real-life Clydesdale horses, in both height and weight. In a world where height and weight are utter nonsense, the few creatures that aren't nonsense stick out as especially odd.

TBF, the fact that weight scales more or less cubically with size means that weight grows much faster than height does. Given Groudon's listed height, even a conservative estimate will give a weight of around 34,000 kg. And most people agree that the height listed in the Pokedex is way too low, so it'd be even heavier in actuality. For Steelix, you can get an estimate of 227,000 kg. It'd feel weird that most Pokemon have a 2 or 3 digit weight, but big Pokemon could have a 5 or 6 digit weight. (You can argue about the density value used, but unless every big Pokemon is hollow or made of a magic material less dense than water, you're still getting a 5 digit weight for a lot of them.)

From a game mechanical standpoint, it'd make pretty much any weight-related move impractical, since you'd have to put a cube root in the formula to make them scale in a reasonable manner.

TBF, the fact that weight scales more or less cubically with size means that weight grows much faster than height does. Given Groudon's listed height, even a conservative estimate will give a weight of around 34,000 kg. And most people agree that the height listed in the Pokedex is way too low, so it'd be even heavier in actuality. For Steelix, you can get an estimate of 227,000 kg. It'd feel weird that most Pokemon have a 2 or 3 digit weight, but big Pokemon could have a 5 or 6 digit weight. (You can argue about the density value used, but unless every big Pokemon is hollow or made of a magic material less dense than water, you're still getting a 5 digit weight for a lot of them.)

From a game mechanical standpoint, it'd make pretty much any weight-related move impractical, since you'd have to put a cube root in the formula to make them scale in a reasonable manner.
Tbh not just that, but by now I think we're used to know that Pokemon aren't really designed with a lot of thought to realism very often, and height / weight are likely ""scaled down"" to just make them somewhat relatable to the kids. To one of them, "500 kg" is already a incommensurable amount of weight with no real difference from 200k.

Also daily reminder that tecnically Magcargo should be literally melting the planet simply by existing.

on that topic, the numbers come from the Pokedex right ? We all know that the Pokedex is wrong with false descriptions or sentences that don't make sense at all with a normal brain. I think the height and the weight have been measured by a child without good scales ...
Based on the physical Pokedex released in Japan, at the very least the data on the original 150 Pokemon were written by grown-ass researchers, and this includes size and weight.

Based on the physical Pokedex released in Japan, at the very least the data on the original 150 Pokemon were written by grown-ass researchers, and this includes size and weight.
And in Hisui we are literally a team of researchers putting together these entries

Face it everyone, the Pokedex is by & large being written by people with PHDs. Call it a hunch, but the goofiness of the Pokemon world is just their reality!

I posit that Pokemon weights not make sense is a fusion of Pokemon being able to shrink to much smaller sizing, meaning their true weight is when their in a smaller form and fiction writers not understanding how heavy actual animals are.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Tbh not just that, but by now I think we're used to know that Pokemon aren't really designed with a lot of thought to realism very often, and height / weight are likely ""scaled down"" to just make them somewhat relatable to the kids. To one of them, "500 kg" is already a incommensurable amount of weight with no real difference from 200k.
Which is why with Weight I think Pokemon should just make up their own unit and never explain how it relates to real world weight aside in vague terms (I imagine it being "based" on a cubic system as A_Wild_Noob_Appeared! showed though on a more extravagant scale).

However Height they can't really do that so they need to really straighten out their definitions (maybe include multiple measurements even; height, length, wingspan, maybe do circumference/diameter/area for the big Pokemon).

However Height they can't really do that so they need to really straighten out their definitions (maybe include multiple measurements even; height, length, wingspan, maybe do circumference/diameter/area for the big Pokemon).
I don't really think they need to straighten out their definitions or include multiple measurement. Just do what Gen 3 did and include a size chart in the Pokedex, this time with lines marking each foot/meter instead of just showing it next to the trainer without context. Pokemon being 3D models makes it even easier, since the devs can pose and angle it however they need to show off the size, as opposed to 2D where they'd need to draw a whole new sprite.

It gets me the lava snail was discovered a mere 2 years after GSC
Almost all the "newly discovered" Pokemon is just "bro are you for real" lol

Like oh word? You discovered Ho-Oh? The thing with an entire tower of worship dedicated to it?
Ah yeah yeah just discovered the Sentret, Ledyba & Spinarak lines, some of hte most populous pokemon in Johto.
oh where'd you find Hoothoot, did you just step outside for 3 minutes?

Like oh word? You discovered Ho-Oh? The thing with an entire tower of worship dedicated to it?
Ah yeah yeah just discovered the Sentret, Ledyba & Spinarak lines, some of hte most populous pokemon in Johto.
No I mean the IRL Lava underwater vent living iron shelled snail, discovered in 2001
1663794176642.png

Also known as Scaly Foot Gastropod

But yeah, it is absurd GSC mons were "new" lore wise given Ho-Oh

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I mean, how would you explain it to a 6 year old?

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
View attachment 454453

Did anyone seriously think at the age of 6 that they were the first ones to discover every animal they came across?
idk about you but I have childhood memories of discovering certain things (including animals) and describing them to my parents later and being disappointed when they had heard of/seen them, assuming that I was the only one who knew, yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)