(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

TBF, the fact that weight scales more or less cubically with size means that weight grows much faster than height does. Given Groudon's listed height, even a conservative estimate will give a weight of around 34,000 kg. And most people agree that the height listed in the Pokedex is way too low, so it'd be even heavier in actuality. For Steelix, you can get an estimate of 227,000 kg. It'd feel weird that most Pokemon have a 2 or 3 digit weight, but big Pokemon could have a 5 or 6 digit weight. (You can argue about the density value used, but unless every big Pokemon is hollow or made of a magic material less dense than water, you're still getting a 5 digit weight for a lot of them.)

From a game mechanical standpoint, it'd make pretty much any weight-related move impractical, since you'd have to put a cube root in the formula to make them scale in a reasonable manner.
Tbh not just that, but by now I think we're used to know that Pokemon aren't really designed with a lot of thought to realism very often, and height / weight are likely ""scaled down"" to just make them somewhat relatable to the kids. To one of them, "500 kg" is already a incommensurable amount of weight with no real difference from 200k.

Also daily reminder that tecnically Magcargo should be literally melting the planet simply by existing.

on that topic, the numbers come from the Pokedex right ? We all know that the Pokedex is wrong with false descriptions or sentences that don't make sense at all with a normal brain. I think the height and the weight have been measured by a child without good scales ...
Based on the physical Pokedex released in Japan, at the very least the data on the original 150 Pokemon were written by grown-ass researchers, and this includes size and weight.

Based on the physical Pokedex released in Japan, at the very least the data on the original 150 Pokemon were written by grown-ass researchers, and this includes size and weight.
And in Hisui we are literally a team of researchers putting together these entries

Face it everyone, the Pokedex is by & large being written by people with PHDs. Call it a hunch, but the goofiness of the Pokemon world is just their reality!

I posit that Pokemon weights not make sense is a fusion of Pokemon being able to shrink to much smaller sizing, meaning their true weight is when their in a smaller form and fiction writers not understanding how heavy actual animals are.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Tbh not just that, but by now I think we're used to know that Pokemon aren't really designed with a lot of thought to realism very often, and height / weight are likely ""scaled down"" to just make them somewhat relatable to the kids. To one of them, "500 kg" is already a incommensurable amount of weight with no real difference from 200k.
Which is why with Weight I think Pokemon should just make up their own unit and never explain how it relates to real world weight aside in vague terms (I imagine it being "based" on a cubic system as A_Wild_Noob_Appeared! showed though on a more extravagant scale).

However Height they can't really do that so they need to really straighten out their definitions (maybe include multiple measurements even; height, length, wingspan, maybe do circumference/diameter/area for the big Pokemon).

However Height they can't really do that so they need to really straighten out their definitions (maybe include multiple measurements even; height, length, wingspan, maybe do circumference/diameter/area for the big Pokemon).
I don't really think they need to straighten out their definitions or include multiple measurement. Just do what Gen 3 did and include a size chart in the Pokedex, this time with lines marking each foot/meter instead of just showing it next to the trainer without context. Pokemon being 3D models makes it even easier, since the devs can pose and angle it however they need to show off the size, as opposed to 2D where they'd need to draw a whole new sprite.

It gets me the lava snail was discovered a mere 2 years after GSC
Almost all the "newly discovered" Pokemon is just "bro are you for real" lol

Like oh word? You discovered Ho-Oh? The thing with an entire tower of worship dedicated to it?
Ah yeah yeah just discovered the Sentret, Ledyba & Spinarak lines, some of hte most populous pokemon in Johto.
oh where'd you find Hoothoot, did you just step outside for 3 minutes?

Like oh word? You discovered Ho-Oh? The thing with an entire tower of worship dedicated to it?
Ah yeah yeah just discovered the Sentret, Ledyba & Spinarak lines, some of hte most populous pokemon in Johto.
No I mean the IRL Lava underwater vent living iron shelled snail, discovered in 2001
1663794176642.png

Also known as Scaly Foot Gastropod

But yeah, it is absurd GSC mons were "new" lore wise given Ho-Oh

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I mean, how would you explain it to a 6 year old?

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
View attachment 454453

Did anyone seriously think at the age of 6 that they were the first ones to discover every animal they came across?
idk about you but I have childhood memories of discovering certain things (including animals) and describing them to my parents later and being disappointed when they had heard of/seen them, assuming that I was the only one who knew, yes.

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
:sm/turtonator:
Why Turtonator has only one ability (a bad one in Shell armor) meanwhile its counterpart get 3 decent/niche abilities?
Like, yeah Drampa no longer has an exclusive ability now that Moltres-G exists, but not like anyone (not even Turtonator) would want Shell trap over any better fire move. It really got the short end of the stick.
t. turtonator's grandpa

:sm/turtonator:
Why Turtonator has only one ability (a bad one in Shell armor) meanwhile its counterpart get 3 decent/niche abilities?
Like, yeah Drampa no longer has an exclusive ability now that Moltres-G exists, but not like anyone (not even Turtonator) would want Shell trap over any better fire move. It really got the short end of the stick.
t. turtonator's grandpa
Huh, that is weird. Double checking the rest of the generation if you have 1 ability you are in these categories:
-You have a signature ability and it is your Designated Gimmick (Mimikyu's Disguise, Minior's Shields Down, Beast Boost, stuff like that).
-You have Levitate (Vikavolt)
-You evolve into someone with that signature ability (Grubbin, Charjabug, Type Null, Cosmog etc)
-Mythical pokemon

....and Turtonator. Wonder if it was meant to have a signature ability to go with it that just never happened? Should have given it a proper, if still normal hidden ability in gen 8 at the very least...

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Huh, that is weird. Double checking the rest of the generation if you have 1 ability you are in these categories:
-You have a signature ability and it is your Designated Gimmick (Mimikyu's Disguise, Minior's Shields Down, Beast Boost, stuff like that).
-You have Levitate (Vikavolt)
-You evolve into someone with that signature ability (Grubbin, Charjabug, Type Null, Cosmog etc)
-Mythical pokemon

....and Turtonator. Wonder if it was meant to have a signature ability to go with it that just never happened? Should have given it a proper, if still normal hidden ability in gen 8 at the very least...
Turtonator is a case of a Pokemon who was intended to have a signature move as opposed to a signature ability. Not every Gen 7 mon has a signature ability, but the ones that don't have a signature move to go with it. Some Gen 7 Pokemon have both, but many either only have a signature move or only a signature ability.

With respect to Drampa, the two are opposites in treatment in this regard, where one only has a signature move and the other only has a signature ability. Turtonator has a signature move, Shell Trap, which is basically its gimmick to be a powerful reactive move. It does not, however, have a signature ability. Drampa, on the other hand, has a signature ability in Berserk, however, it has no signature move to go with it.

Another counterpart duo has this sort of treatment, which is Oranguru and Passimian, in which case they both have a signature move/ability that works with Doubles in mind. Oranguru does not have a signature ability, but it has a signature move in Instruct. Passimian meanwhile does not have a signature move, but it has a signature ability in its ability Receiver.

In fact, going down Gen 7's mons, these are cases of signature move/signature ability cases:

Signature Move Only:
- Incineroar (Darkest Lariat)
- Toucannon (Beak Blast)
- Crabominable (Ice Hammer)
- Ribombee (Pollen Puff)
- Lycanrock (Accelerock)
- Alolan Marowak (Shadow Bone)
- Lurantis (Solar Blade)
- Shiinotic (Strength Sap)
- Oranguru (Instruct)
- Turtonator (Shell Trap)
- Togedemaru (Zing Zap)
- Alolan Exeggutor (Dragon Hammer)
- Kommo-o (Clanging Scales)
- Marshadow (Spectral Thief)
- Zeraora (Plasma Fists)
- Melmetal (Double Iron Bash)

Signature Ability Only:
- Gumshoos (Stakeout)
- Alolan Raichu (Surge Surfer)
- Charjabug (Battery)
- Alolan Dugtrio (Tangling Hair)
- Wishiwashi (Schooling)
- Mudsdale (Stamina)
- Araquanid (Water Bubble)
- Salazzle (Corrosion)
- Bewear (Fluffy)
- Wimpod (Wimp Out)
- Alolan Muk (Power of Alchemy)
- Alolan Golem (Galvanize)
- Minior (Shields Down)
- Komala (Comatose)
- Mimikyu (Disguise)
- Drampa (Berserk)
- Ultra Beasts except Blacephalon (Beast Boost)

Both signature move and signature ability:
- Decidueye (Long Reach ability, Spirit Shackle move)
- Primarina (Liquid Voice ability, Sparkling Aria move)
- Oricorio (Dancer ability, Revelation Dance move)
- Toxapex (Merciless ability, Baneful Bunker move)
- Tsareena (Queenly Majesty ability, Trop Kick move)
- Comfey (Triage ability, Floral Healing move)
- Golisopod (Emergency Exit ability, First Impression move)
- Palossand (Water Compaction ability, Shore Up move)
- Pyukumuku (Innards Out ability, Purify move)
- Silvally (RKS System ability, Multi-Attack move)
- Bruxish (Dazzling ability, Psychic Fangs move)
- Tapus (Surges ability, Nature's Madness move)
- Solgaleo/Lunala/Necrozma
- Magearna (Soul-Heart ability, Fleur Cannon move)
- Blacephalon (Beast Boost ability, Mind Blown move)

Neither:
- Alolan Raticate
- Vikavolt
- Alolan Ninetales
- Alolan Sandslash
- Alolan Persian

As you can see there is a mix between signature moves and signature abilities: Some only have one or the other, while only some have both.

In the case of Turtonator and Drampa, they went for the two to be antithetical to each other with one having only a signature move while the other only has a signature ability.

Had no idea Pyukumuku had a signature move tbh.
Yeah, Purify isn't exactly useful in 1v1. It's Z-Power effect is an omniboost, but Pyukumuku is normally unable to deal damage outside of status, so it's only good for Baton Pass sets... And Baton Pass is banned in Smogon Singles.
And I know it's a Status move so types have minimal impact, but isn't it weird a Pokémon that isn't Poison-type gets a Poison-type signature move? It's also one of the few non-Poison-type Pokémon in SwSh to keep Toxic.
Drampa no longer has an exclusive ability now that Moltres-G exists
Speaking of Berserk, this is the subject of my next gripe.
So, in French, the Ability is localized as "Dracolère", a portmanteau of "Draco" and "colère". (French for "anger"; also the French name for the move Outrage)
It's also the only localization to have "Draco" on its name, no other verson ties its name to dragons, it's just "anger" or "furious" or "outburst of fury":
berserk.png
(In Japanese, it is named "Frenzy".)
The moment I saw this, I was like "Oh boy, I can't wait to see another Pokémon with this Ability so it won't make any sense in French!"
And guess what. Galarian Moltres is not a Dragon-type Pokémon.
sulfura-galar.png
It's also its sole Ability, so this will never not make sense in French.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 3)