(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Please make a soldier bee and simp lizard evolutions, free us from the pain.
Textually, the reason male Salandit can't evolve is because they're too submissive towards females - they end up malnourished because they give everything to the females instead of taking care of themselves:

The males will do whatever the females tell them. They give the females most of their food. Due to malnutrition, the males can't evolve. (Ultra Sun)

Salazzle's Sun entry also says "For some reason, only females have been found." while still not really suggesting that only females can evolve in a vacuum
(They're implicitly just better at it because the dex says only females have the pheromones that let them manipulate other Salandit this way)
But uh, I think if a male Salandit were to evolve, it would have to be by overcoming this behavior and not simping for the females any more, and the evolved form should probably reflect this rather than still being the simp lizard

What I'm saying is that you cAN'T prove a gay male Salandit that has better self-care couldn't also evolve into Salazzle it's possible in my heart

Textually, the reason male Salandit can't evolve is because they're too submissive towards females - they end up malnourished because they give everything to the females instead of taking care of themselves:

The males will do whatever the females tell them. They give the females most of their food. Due to malnutrition, the males can't evolve. (Ultra Sun)

Salazzle's Sun entry also says "For some reason, only females have been found." without really suggesting that we know for sure only females can evolve in a vacuum
(They're implicitly just better at it because the dex says only females have the pheromones that let them manipulate other Salandit this way)
But uh, I think if a male Salandit were to evolve, it would have to be by overcoming this behavior and not simping for the females any more, and the evolved form should probably reflect this rather than still being the simp lizard

What I'm saying is that you cAN'T prove a gay male Salandit that has better self-care couldn't also evolve into Salazzle it's possible in my heart
Male Salandit will be able to evolve when they're holding a Super Donation item that causes a Salazzle in battle to thank them personally.

Its name will be Parasociandit

Or by being force-fed.

"Evolves by being given an Aguav/Figy/Iapapa/Mago/Wiki Berry while at full health."

They love such evolution methods so why not?

Or by being force-fed.

"Evolves by being given an Aguav/Figy/Iapapa/Mago/Wiki Berry while at full health."

They love such evolution methods so why not?
U...um? uh? well
I can tell you didn't think this through, but um, I think the idea of literally force-feeding someone and presenting it as an easy way to "fix" their eating habits and make them healthier is extremely creepy and uncomfortable in a lot of ways, and the idea that this should be rewarded and presented as a necessary part of Salandit's growth for the sake of emphasizing a joke you think is funny does not at all send a good or like. safe. message,
while "evolves into its best self by learning better ways to take care of itself" is a completely valid way around the issue,
so u m, would kinda rather not personally
let's go back to gay lizards

I'm always in favour of an idea that can be summarised as 'gay lizards' but I'm also realistic haha. Male Combee and Salandit evolutions would be fun but they'd also completely erase the identity of Vespiquen and Salazzle unless they were designed as explicitly weaker mons, perhaps offering some kind of support to their female counterparts in Doubles. This is unlikely to happen because it's virtually impossible to design a Combee evolution that's worse than Vespiquen after 6+ generations of power creep.

If they're independently powerful then the whole queen bee/reverse harem dynamic is completely obliterated and you've inadvertently done a neckbeard-y men's rights thing, like 'female Pokemon being stronger than male Pokemon in a way that references real-world biology? Not on my watch >:('

U...um? uh? well
I can tell you didn't think this through, but um, I think the idea of literally force-feeding someone and presenting it as an easy way to "fix" their eating habits and make them healthier is extremely creepy and uncomfortable in a lot of ways, and the idea that this should be rewarded and presented as a necessary part of Salandit's growth for the sake of emphasizing a joke you think is funny does not at all send a good or like. safe. message,
while "evolves into its best self by learning better ways to take care of itself" is a completely valid way around the issue,
so u m, would kinda rather not personally
let's go back to gay lizards
It's the same Game Freak that thought it was a brilliant idea that, for a game made for children, your Pokémon decide that the time you want to make a sandwich is an amazing time to breed.

Reactions: CPU
I'm always in favour of an idea that can be summarised as 'gay lizards' but I'm also realistic haha. Male Combee and Salandit evolutions would be fun but they'd also completely erase the identity of Vespiquen and Salazzle unless they were designed as explicitly weaker mons, perhaps offering some kind of support to their female counterparts in Doubles. This is unlikely to happen because it's virtually impossible to design a Combee evolution that's worse than Vespiquen after 6+ generations of power creep.

If they're independently powerful then the whole queen bee/reverse harem dynamic is completely obliterated and you've inadvertently done a neckbeard-y men's rights thing, like 'female Pokemon being stronger than male Pokemon in a way that references real-world biology? Not on my watch >:('
I JUST WANT TO EVOLVE MY SHINY BEE

It's the same Game Freak that thought it was a brilliant idea that, for a game made for children, your Pokémon decide that the time you want to make a sandwich is an amazing time to breed.
Also the same Game Freak who promotes standing on swivel chairs.

The difference is that this just has accidental but harmless and comedic implications about having sex at picnics
Like Eggs at picnics are kind of silly and might get a double-take or two but they're not at all problematic (oh no!!! what if someone plays this game and tries to have a baby at a picnic in REAL LIFE??? what if someone's parents met at a picnic how do you think they'll react to this???)
but do you not... like... at all think there might be a difference between that and "responding to unhealthy eating habits and malnourishment with a form of actual abuse that is widely understood to be distressing?" and do you not think maybe putting the latter in a kid's game as a joke, making light of it and outright encouraging it as a solution to the problem might be come off as a little bit insensitive to anyone who has actually gone through it?
Please
Please just stop and think before you respond again I don't think you realize how messed-up that is
There's a line between making jokes about "adult content" accidentally slipping through in video games and not having even a basic level of respect or sensitivity for people who aren't you even after it's pointed out

Anyway yes
I do expect Game Freak to at least try to think things through when it's actually important
and frankly I am pretty sure this is not an effective example of ~ their track record saying otherwise ~ and I am pretty sure it would not be an excuse to keep getting worse even if it had thoughtlessly happened before

and also just like seriously what the fuck

I'm going to step away now but I think you should stop talking

I thought it was pretty well-established at this point that Eggs kinda just magically appear out of nowhere and that immediately jumping to "Pokemon are having sex at my picnic and it's inappropriate for children!' says more about you than it does about Game Freak or any hypothetical children
You say that but my first thought when I saw the breeding mechanic on the Scarlet ROM was dubbing it as "Pokemon Voyeur".

Send help.

Aaaanyway... I've noticed that a lot of Gen 9 Pokémon's Japanese names are just two words put together. Otoshidori (Bombirdier) is "to drop + bird". Namiiruka (Finizen) is "ordinary/wave + dolphin". Mototokage (Cyclizar) is "moto(r) + lizard". It would've been so easy to make those last two portmanteaus. The Paradox Pokémon's names are supposed to be unusual for just being descriptions, so why do these normal Pokémon's names fit that criteria?

Aaaanyway... I've noticed that a lot of Gen 9 Pokémon's Japanese names are just two words put together. Otoshidori (Bombirdier) is "to drop + bird". Namiiruka (Finizen) is "ordinary/wave + dolphin". Mototokage (Cyclizar) is "moto(r) + lizard". It would've been so easy to make those last two portmanteaus. The Paradox Pokémon's names are supposed to be unusual for just being descriptions, so why do these normal Pokémon's names fit that criteria?
Basically the names where they're slapped together are meant to be some sort of pun, but these are meant to be very literal. Not a pun, but a description.
Several of the japanese names for the paradoxes are literally x no y, so there's a specific quirk to the language that makes those stand out; those combiend with all the others being very literal 2 words together makes the 14 (+ Koraidon & Miraidon's "original" names) stand out as different in most languages.

it's why English & French, to make them stand out from portmantaeu, tried different things. It does make things like (in english) Talonflame awkward, but by writing it out as Roaring Moon or Mite-De-Fir, with spacing & capital letters or hypens it adds a sense of "otherness" to it that separates it from similar names. It sells the intent on how they're different by putting in more "otherness".

Namiiruka incorporates a pun on nami being both "wave" and "normal", Mototokage combines English and Japanese. Only Otoshidori of the three you named is just two Japanese words strung together, and it's just that, two words put together. It's not quite a straight up descrption like the Paradox names. For example, Slither Wing's JP name, Chiohauhane (Chi o Hau Hane), is "Wings that Slither on the Earth", while Iron Moth is Tetsunodokuga (Tetsu no Dokuga), "Poisonous Moth of Iron". They're pretty different from the usual naming conventions.

Sorry to chime in on the topic after it was quashed for awkward replies, but I slept through it and have some legitimate contributions to chip in before it's buried pages back.

I think Combee vs Salandit is a bit of a different dynamic even biologically. Queen Bees explicitly have a different biology than normal Female Worker Bees, much less the Male Drones, so given that as the basis for Vespiquen it's very firmly established that Male Bees/Combee would be totally incapable of evolving into Vespiquen, if at all, since their role is primarily protecting and facilitating reproduction with the Queen. There's no "King Bee" suggested to exist because they have no reason or potential to change into a form (in the wild I imagine most Female Combee would never evolve either)

Salandit on the other hand explicitly points out Malnutrition as the reason the males have no evolution. The Females evolved the Pheromone biology because it gives them a distinct advantage in survival (more food), and the species is sustained on this because a single female usually contributes more to the offspring population than a single male (similar to my theory as to why Starters have the 7:1 ratio on a surface level, in that the Lab-sustained Population can more readily part with Males than Females for new trainers). The Ultra Sun dex entry suggests the Males would be capable of Pokemon evolution (whether into a Male Salazzle or a distinct species) were they not malnourished, perhaps in an environment food-rich enough to provide for them even with them offering the majority of their food to another.

Could be the basis for something like a Regional variant/evolution where they show up as an invasive species eating a lot more ala Alolan Rattata/Yungoos, or perhaps just a player-only Evolution (as in one that never occurs in the Wild, Raids, anywhere but captivity) based on food items (since they'd lack the chance to give them up to a Harem-leader Salazzle) like "Level Up after being healed with 20 Food items" (Gen 5 has an NPC that buys them so there's some kind of categorization), maybe "Have in your party while doing 10 of the Regional Food Gimmick" (assuming they continue doing mechanics like the Curry or Sandwiches in future gens) as a secondary option akin to Feebas having both the Scarf Trade and the Contest stats in applicable games.

There's no "King Bee" suggested to exist because they have no reason or potential to change into a form (in the wild I imagine most Female Combee would never evolve either)
Now I'm picturing a termite Pokémon with gendered evolutions. (Fun fact: apparently people used to think eusocial insects were led by "kings", until someone cut open a "king" ant and saw ovaries.)

Fakemon-brainstorming aside, have any of you seen that Game Theory video about how Pokémon evolution is epigenetic? I think it's one of their better ones. Stantler's PokéDex entry in Violet says that they used to be able to evolve "under their own power" when they were stronger; maybe generations of malnourishment have deactivated male Salandit's "evolution factor", and it'll be pretty hard to get back.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
In Gen V at least (probably the same in at least a few of the others, but this is just where I've noticed it) if a defending Pokemon successfully uses Protect and its opponent uses a move such as Fly or Solarbeam while holding a Power Herb, the Power Herb is consumed even though the move will of course fail, wasting the item.

However if the attacking Pokemon is using a move boosted by a gem, the move will fail before the gem is consumed, so the item will not be wasted.

It's actually something that's worked out in my favour since one of my squad has a Fighting Gem and two of them have been making use of Protect. But all the same, it bothers me.

In Gen V at least (probably the same in at least a few of the others, but this is just where I've noticed it) if a defending Pokemon successfully uses Protect and its opponent uses a move such as Fly or Solarbeam while holding a Power Herb, the Power Herb is consumed even though the move will of course fail, wasting the item.

However if the attacking Pokemon is using a move boosted by a gem, the move will fail before the gem is consumed, so the item will not be wasted.

It's actually something that's worked out in my favour since one of my squad has a Fighting Gem and two of them have been making use of Protect. But all the same, it bothers me.
I guess the logic is that the Herb is consumed to make the attack skip the charge turn, and it only checks for failure when the Damage has to interact with Protect.

As far as Gems, how do they interact if you use a move the opponent is immune to "naturally" such as Scald on a Water Absorb Mon? Will that still consume the Gen?

I'm guessing the internal coding logic is
Gem Logic:
Select attack
Protect happens
Gem sees Protect would cause no damage to be dealt, does nothing. If there's logic for stuff like abilities it might just be a "would this deal damage -> use gem" like Life Orb.

Herb Logic
Select Attack
Protect happens
Charge initiates. This is a successful "attack" since its not attacking
Game sees charge happened, so it procs the Power Herb
A second attack goes off
Protect blocks it

Basically it only checks against the Charge Happened, and not against Would Be Wasted like stuff like Gems.

The biggest problem with the modern games isn't the performance or graphics. It's the fact literally everything has to be rare now, which is inevitable which every game has 50 billion mons, but is still a pain. More than once, I've done a glowing review of stuff like Hawlucha only to go "good luck have fun finding it." Even stuff like Falinks with its meme-level bad learnset (no decent Fighting moves besides Rock Smash or Reversal low HP cheese until level FIFTY outside TMs) are like 2-4%. This has been a problem since Gen 7 and for some reason Game Freak needs to make sure like 30% of the dex has less than 10% encounter rates. It is absurdly obnoxious, field encounters or not.
Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 4.12.38 PM.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)