(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The Fletchling that the main rival had for the catching tutorial and random fight against the other two random rivals gets dumped for absolutely no reason.
I frankly don't mind stuff like this since it plays into the idea that a rival who's extremely frustrated with their inability to beat us is probably trying out new strats. Besides, even Blue in RBY swapped out some team members over the course of the game.

I frankly don't mind stuff like this since it plays into the idea that a rival who's extremely frustrated with their inability to beat us is probably trying out new strats. Besides, even Blue in RBY swapped out some team members over the course of the game.
In general I agree that it can be a cool way to add characterisation, but with Calem/Serena they pretty much only express frustration about how they keep losing to the player in that middle stretch of the game after they've ditched Fletchling but before they've added any new members to their team beyond Meowstic/Absol/starter.

Blue ditching his Raticate worked especially well because of his callous attitude combined with his genuine aptitude for catching and training Pokemon. He has that line in Silph Co. where he says that by filling the Pokedex, he's been able to figure out how to build the strongest team, which suggests that he might've seen Raticate's limited potential as a battler even from early on.

They've been hit-or-miss with this concept since then, though.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You need Salandit Gas to make the Fire Pledge TM, but Salandit can't learn Fire Pledge.
The issue would be with the former, where a mon unassociated with the group of Pokemon the pledge moves are specifically made for produces the material needed for the TM of the move in question to begin with.

The Pledge moves are akin to the elemental Hyper Beams in that they are moves designed exclusively for starters. Only the starter Pokemon can learn them and no one else can.

That is an implicit rule they have made for the Pledge moves and they don't have any intention of budging from that anytime soon.

That is an implicit rule they have made for the Pledge moves and they don't have any intention of budging from that anytime soon.
Silvally is coded to learn all three, but due to an error(mostly because it is the only Pokemon that can learn more than one of them via the tutor) it can only get access to Grass Pledge in Gen VII and VIII. Now that they are TMs, if Silvally came back in the SV DLC it would likely be able to finally also get Fire Pledge and Water Pledge

This would all have been solved if they hadn't insisted on every family dropping a unique crafting material. We don't need 150 of the things. 18 types, common/uncommon/rare per type, sort according to how rare the mon dropping it is. A mid-game Dratini should not drop the same thing as a late-game Dragonite, but you also shouldn't have to hunt a bunch of Dragonite and then immediately start hunting Haxorus.

They could also have made Ditto Goo work, since, well, Ditto. Which would also give that item a purpose.

This would all have been solved if they hadn't insisted on every family dropping a unique crafting material. We don't need 150 of the things. 18 types, common/uncommon/rare per type, sort according to how rare the mon dropping it is. A mid-game Dratini should not drop the same thing as a late-game Dragonite, but you also shouldn't have to hunt a bunch of Dragonite and then immediately start hunting Haxorus.

They could also have made Ditto Goo work, since, well, Ditto. Which would also give that item a purpose.
especially since there's a bunch of materials that don't get used for anything: version exclusive families drop materials but are just sold for paltry amounts

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If we are talking about the four Treasures of Ruin, their names, while Chinese, are formatted differently in different languages.

Baojian, or alternatively, Paojian, is actually Chien-Pao's original Japanese (albeit in Chinese) name, for instance, but Chien-Pao is fundamentally the same as Baojian except formatted differently. Pao Jian is how you would actually format the name in traditional Chinese language, and the French version of it follows the Japanese version quite literally, likely due to the French language structure being close inherently.

Meanwhile, in English, as well as in Spanish, "Chien-Pao", which is what is used, is the name formatted in Wade-Giles format, which is an English way of formatting Chinese names, and one that is commonly used in the Anglosphere.

The English/Spanish versions of the Ruinous Treasures' names all follow the Wade-Giles format of romanizing Mandarin Chinese. Wo-Chien, Chien-Pao, Ting-Lu, and Chi-Yu all follow this western romanization format. Meanwhile Japanese, French, and Korean languages follow the actual formatting of Chinese that you would use natively outside of the Anglosphere. As such, their respective names are Chongjian, Baojian, Dinglu, and Yuyu respectively in Japanese, French, and Korean, as they follow the traditional Chinese naming format while the English/Spanish versions follow the Wade-Giles romanization format.

I’ve realized that the vast majority of new moves and pretty much all new abilities in Gen 9 are exclusive to one evolution line, and some lines even have one of each. And of the ones that don’t, much of the time it’s merely a token effort to keep it from being exclusive... by slapping it on to one (1) (uno) (a singular) additional line. I swear if this continues each new Pokémon is gonna have two exclusive moves, two exclusive abilities, and an additional form... at least.

Move bloat and ability bloat are very real things. GF needs to realize that not every Pokémon, and not even the majority of Pokémon, needs to have something exclusive; perhaps then we’d no longer need to make Dex cuts or move cuts.

the endless cycle of this observation...
I’ve realized that the vast majority of new moves and pretty much all new abilities in Gen 9 are exclusive to one evolution line, and some lines even have one of each. And of the ones that don’t, much of the time it’s merely a token effort to keep it from being exclusive... by slapping it on to one (1) (uno) (a singular) additional line. I swear if this continues each new Pokémon is gonna have two exclusive moves, two exclusive abilities, and an additional form... at least.

Move bloat and ability bloat are very real things. GF needs to realize that not every Pokémon, and not even the majority of Pokémon, needs to have something exclusive; perhaps then we’d no longer need to make Dex cuts or move cuts.
Moves being non-exclusive would not stop them from existing. The difference would be it's 30 "normal" moves because I can't see them making less than that anyway. And while I know that mysteriously these complaints would vanish, it would not stop it from being bloat that would, possibly, cause more move cuts in the future.
"Bloat" will never be stopped unless they literally stop making moves, something that they clearly do not want to do.

Ability Bloat is...also probably even less of a thing. I've commented on this before. Of the three things people love to throw "bloat" around for, Abilities are probably the least intensive. They rarely if ever have design graphics and their effects are usually relatively simple; there's significantly less of these after 6 generations than there are moves after 9. The only thing they clog up is the ability search function.
And like moves they're probably never going to stop making new abilities at a lower number just because they deviate from exclusives.
Probably not a coincidence that the only times abilities are "cut" are when the Pokemon that have them aren't in the game. But also they're cutting over half the dex every time so this super doesnt matter anyway!
And also, seemingly, they all still work even if they're not in use. So outside of some edge cases most of them are probably pretty portable

If they stopped making moves & abilities entirely starting with gen, i dunno, 6 (except fairy moves) SWSH still likely would have had dexit because the problem was significantly more on the Pokemon itself rather than signature moves or abilities. Once divided into their respective Pokemon, the move or ability is simply one drop in the bucket, especially the moves, and it was probably far more on the models and tools related to that. And now it's probably just part of their game design space anyway.

Like I'm not saying anyone who hates the signature design space can't hate it but it's like...i dunno you can just hate it, you know? There doesn't have to be some extra thing about development to tack on.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
the endless cycle of this observation...

Moves being non-exclusive would not stop them from existing. The difference would be it's 30 "normal" moves because I can't see them making less than that anyway. And while I know that mysteriously these complaints would vanish, it would not stop it from being bloat that would, possibly, cause more move cuts in the future.
"Bloat" will never be stopped unless they literally stop making moves, something that they clearly do not want to do.

Ability Bloat is...also probably even less of a thing. I've commented on this before. Of the three things people love to throw "bloat" around for, Abilities are probably the least intensive. They rarely if ever have design graphics and their effects are usually relatively simple; there's significantly less of these after 6 generations than there are moves after 9. The only thing they clog up is the ability search function.
And like moves they're probably never going to stop making new abilities at a lower number just because they deviate from exclusives.
Probably not a coincidence that the only times abilities are "cut" are when the Pokemon that have them aren't in the game. But also they're cutting over half the dex every time so this super doesnt matter anyway!
And also, seemingly, they all still work even if they're not in use. So outside of some edge cases most of them are probably pretty portable

If they stopped making moves & abilities entirely starting with gen, i dunno, 6 (except fairy moves) SWSH still likely would have had dexit because the problem was significantly more on the Pokemon itself rather than signature moves or abilities. Once divided into their respective Pokemon, the move or ability is simply one drop in the bucket, especially the moves, and it was probably far more on the models and tools related to that. And now it's probably just part of their game design space anyway.

Like I'm not saying anyone who hates the signature design space can't hate it but it's like...i dunno you can just hate it, you know? There doesn't have to be some extra thing about development to tack on.
If GF doesn’t want to stop making new moves, they should do something like several new moves actually being useful and not either super-situational or flat-out dud, and if signature, making sure it gel well with the Pokémon’s toolset. The “bloat” isn’t caused by just signature moves.

Gen 3 and Gen 6 introduced a lot of new moves that ultimately aren’t much useful or way too situational for even in-game back then. Roleplay, Snatch, Mud Sport, Water Sport, Grudge, and the trio of Hydro Cannon, Frenzy Plant and Blast Burn (after Hyper Beam nerf starting Gen 2), and Aromatic Mist, Belch*, Fairy Lock, Electrify, Hold Hands / Celebrate, Magnetic Flux, Rototiller and Mat Block being among the new moves that failed to do any meaningful impact for both in-game and competitive.

So many moves being too situational or flat out not useful in the long run makes it obvious that making them most of them signature will not solve the bloating issue, but just creates a different problem; making signatures for sake of signatures with
varying success. It’s telling why GF decided to also do the Movexit decision alongside Dexit starting with LGPE and SwSh.

*Toxel can make great use of it in-game due to good chance of being born with this move, and Berries are usually abundant enough to activate Belch consistency. Even with the caveat of requiring eating a Berry per battle, 120 BP in early game is insane.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 5)