Little things you like about Pokémon

ive been playing through platinum and one thing that seems to have been overlooked is this:

when the galactic bomb on lake valor goes off while you're in the canalave library, the dialogue of the npcs in the library and the rest of the city changes to reflect the earthquake. some are just worried for their own safety, while others wonder whether it's part of something greater.

it's really small and insignificant, but i absolutely love it. in general i think platinum had a really good take on random npc dialogue.
Exploring Goldenrod in HGSS while wearing the Team Rocket costume was cool too!
I liked how everyone reacted differently to that.

Exploring Goldenrod in HGSS while wearing the Team Rocket costume was cool too!
I liked how everyone reacted differently to that.
HGSS was full of so much love and care. So many little extra things added to the game that shocked me. They could have just done a 1-1 remake with some mild quality of life upgrades and us Pokemon fans would have sucked Gamefreak off right there in the Dennys parking lot like the thirsty fans we are.

Instead they went above and beyond adding SO many features and quirks that it's pretty amazing. Pokewalker, Pokeathelon, Pokemon following you, extra Kimono girl / Rival stuff, battle frontier, Team Rocket costume adventure, Suicune + Extremespeed Dratini Crystal references, Gameboy sounds, memorial photos, customize-able Safari Zone, upgraded caves / forests in Kanto, new Team Rocket Executives, LOTS of extra legendaries, and most gym leaders / Elite 4 / Red with upgraded levels. They took an already good Pokemon generation and improved it in every conceivable area. This game is just oozing with love and passion.

I know recently people seem to appreciate BW2 more but imo it's overrated. HGSS are by far the best Pokemon games of all time.

Last edited:
Returning to the subject of abandoned mechanics, I like that several side series--Mystery Dungeon, Masters, and now Go--have kept Mega Evolution in some sort of not-entirely-dead state. Who knows whether they will or even should return to the main series, but I'm glad to see that some Pokemon developers are making use of the mechanic. I would love to see more of side series breathing new life into concepts the main series forgot.

From a cousin who goes by Ostensibly Average, in the comments of a Gen 5 YouTube video:

"Gamefreak is like Regigigas. Give them four turns or so to really get up to speed and they can do amazing things. But then you switch them out, the games are now 3D which they haven't done before. Suddenly the meta shifts, now everyone needs to account for the switch's graphical capabilities but old RegiGamefreak is still trying to figure out the 3DS engine so the games are terrible and rushed. What is the point of this metaphor? Simple. we just need to throw Gastric Acid on gamefreak."

I just think it's a fun analogy.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
"Gamefreak is like Regigigas. Give them four turns or so to really get up to speed and they can do amazing things. But then you switch them out, the games are now 3D which they haven't done before. Suddenly the meta shifts, now everyone needs to account for the switch's graphical capabilities but old RegiGamefreak is still trying to figure out the 3DS engine so the games are terrible and rushed. What is the point of this metaphor? Simple. we just need to throw Gastric Acid on gamefreak."
So we're going to need to wait until 5 years to get comfortable on the Switch? Well Let's Go was released on November 16, 2018 so it won't be till near the end of 2023 we should expect the games to finally get to the pace they should be at? Well, Switch will probably still be around by then, and I have a feeling we'll probably get a second round of DLC (at the very least to get the rest of the Pokemon into the games) so that'll bring us through 2021. But we'd still need a buffer for 2022 and 2023 before releasing the next generation... you know GF that Let's Go Johto is still on the table if you need to quickly turn something out (and to get through 2023 you can have DLC that adds the Sevii Islands since you didn't include them in for LGPE).

So we're going to need to wait until 5 years to get comfortable on the Switch? Well Let's Go was released on November 16, 2018 so it won't be till near the end of 2023 we should expect the games to finally get to the pace they should be at? Well, Switch will probably still be around by then, and I have a feeling we'll probably get a second round of DLC (at the very least to get the rest of the Pokemon into the games) so that'll bring us through 2021. But we'd still need a buffer for 2022 and 2023 before releasing the next generation... you know GF that Let's Go Johto is still on the table if you need to quickly turn something out (and to get through 2023 you can have DLC that adds the Sevii Islands since you didn't include them in for LGPE).
I like the analogy but... I mean, SM and USUM weren't exactly pinnacles of compatibility. In fact XY/ORAS had better performance than them.

Now, this could be on purpose for trying to push the limits of the hardware but...
I mean, as much as I like to be optimistic about GF, their bad/good habit of keeping experimenting with new stuff over and over is going to curse them in having questionable game situations (being it performance, design choice or quality aspects) forever, and I do not expect this to change with whatever their next Switch title will be (nor the one after).

That said, at least performance wise, to be fair Let's Go was very solid graphicwise, and SwSh is pretty stable outside of the render distance in some towns and if you turn wifi on in wild area. Compare to the atrocious FPS lag in gen 7 games...

Oh, the Slow Start turns aren't years. They're generations. Going by the analogy, we gotta wait 'till Gen 10 for Game Freak to be good at 3D.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I like the analogy but... I mean, SM and USUM weren't exactly pinnacles of compatibility. In fact XY/ORAS had better performance than them.
Well, to keep with the joke analogy, the first GF title on the 3DS was XY on October 2013, ORAS was 2014, SM was 2016, and USUM was November 2017. That's only 4 years (and a month), so they wouldn't be out of their hypothetical Slow Start.

Oh, the Slow Start turns aren't years. They're generations.
GENERATIONS?! So we're going to have to wait till Gen 10 for them to get comfortable with 3D? :psynervous:

SM's worst general performance, was probably in the "rock pool" battle area, the one used for Totem Wishiwashi. That one had too many effects going on at once (specifically its the wave crash that hahppens). But I never had performance that bad anywhere else in the game outside of the utterly bizarre amoutn of FPS issues in the Photo Finder. Like what happened there, exactly? Literally nothing else in the game has issues that had which is saying something considering all battles now had high quality trainer models in them, there were totem particle effects flying all over, battle arenas had a sharp increase in quality, z-moves, overworld had a big model glow up....meanwhiel photofinder felt like it was going to fall apart even with just one Pokemon on screen.

Regardless so far as I'm concerned Gen 7 were otherwise leaps ahead of gen 6 in terms of 3DS performance. The gen 6 titles, XY in particular, would lag if too much went on in their overworlds. It'd lag real bad with its horde battles, with double & triple battles needing a prayer in their own right. Considering the model quality of gen 6 that's not good

Even when I went back to gen 6 & 7 back to back briefly for trading purposes even just general overworld performance in roughlyequivalent areas felt better.

p0ip0le

it's a billion lions
i haven't noticed any major issues in the poke finder, and i use it occasionally ?_? i've had worse / laggier battles in the battle royals and, rarely, doubles

i dont remember much about gen6 but im inevitably going to replay it at some point so i'll pay attention to it next time

Regardless so far as I'm concerned Gen 7 were otherwise leaps ahead of gen 6 in terms of 3DS performance. The gen 6 titles, XY in particular, would lag if too much went on in their overworlds. It'd lag real bad with its horde battles, with double & triple battles needing a prayer in their own right. Considering the model quality of gen 6 that's not good

Even when I went back to gen 6 & 7 back to back briefly for trading purposes even just general overworld performance in roughlyequivalent areas felt better.
To be fair, I was actually thinking of battle performance. SM and USUM were notorious for how *bad* the FPS was in doubles settings, expecially once the nat dex came up with weather accumulating on top of terrains, and then in GS cup with Mega Ray's weather basically making the game unwatchable :\

So far I never noticed any stutter in the battle graphic on SwSh, even in case of terrains + weather.

To be fair, I was actually thinking of battle performance. SM and USUM were notorious for how *bad* the FPS was in doubles settings, expecially once the nat dex came up with weather accumulating on top of terrains, and then in GS cup with Mega Ray's weather basically making the game unwatchable :\

So far I never noticed any stutter in the battle graphic on SwSh, even in case of terrains + weather.
I dunno I've watched a fair share of gen 7 battles and never saw it get too bad, though streaming services really hated trying to handle sandstorm.

Gen 8 battles are more stable for sure, though you'd....kind of hope that would be the case. That said the way it handles pop-in/pop-out for trainers is somehow markedly worse?? Gen 7 was way better at obscuring when a trainer had to suddenly pop out and then pop back in, ggen 8 just has them go poof seemingly at random

From what I understand Gen 7 had more framerate issues when played on an OG 3DS rather than a new 3DS. As far as the battles go, it seemed to depend on how many characters were onscreen at once; trainers were more likely to be visible, and the totem auras also slowed down the game.
I forgot about this, I did play all of gen 7 on a new 3ds, so my experiences might have differed considerably

Now, this could be on purpose for trying to push the limits of the hardware but...
I mean, as much as I like to be optimistic about GF, their bad/good habit of keeping experimenting with new stuff over and over is going to curse them in having questionable game situations (being it performance, design choice or quality aspects) forever, and I do not expect this to change with whatever their next Switch title will be (nor the one after).

That said, at least performance wise, to be fair Let's Go was very solid graphicwise, and SwSh is pretty stable outside of the render distance in some towns and if you turn wifi on in wild area. Compare to the atrocious FPS lag in gen 7 games...
SM's worst general performance, was probably in the "rock pool" battle area, the one used for Totem Wishiwashi. That one had too many effects going on at once (specifically its the wave crash that hahppens). But I never had performance that bad anywhere else in the game outside of the utterly bizarre amoutn of FPS issues in the Photo Finder. Like what happened there, exactly? Literally nothing else in the game has issues that had which is saying something considering all battles now had high quality trainer models in them, there were totem particle effects flying all over, battle arenas had a sharp increase in quality, z-moves, overworld had a big model glow up....meanwhiel photofinder felt like it was going to fall apart even with just one Pokemon on screen.

i haven't noticed any major issues in the poke finder, and i use it occasionally ?_? i've had worse / laggier battles in the battle royals and, rarely, doubles

i dont remember much about gen6 but im inevitably going to replay it at some point so i'll pay attention to it next time
From what I understand Gen 7 had more framerate issues when played on an OG 3DS rather than a new 3DS. As far as the battles go, it seemed to depend on how many characters were onscreen at once; trainers were more likely to be visible, and the totem auras also slowed down the game.

Yeah, Gen 7 really pushed the 3DS to the limits. I already posted my thoughts on the matter here, while Gen 7 is really pretty it comes back at some pretty awful frame rates. When I played Moon on an original 3DS, the title would not show up for an additional 10 seconds; its very clear that they wanted you to play on New Nintendo 3DS. Wasn't a reason that XY did not have 3D in most areas because of performance?

BTW, here is an explanation from DistantKingdom on why Gen 7 has such bad lag while also criticizing a very controversial you tuber:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
How does this thread keep coming back to negativity tho....
Right, let's go back to something positive.

Even though I've kind of stopped participating, I do like how they are constantly rotating the Event Raids. Not only do they try to make it possible to more easier catch Gigantamax but they also occasionally throw in a chance to encounter Shiny Pokemon. Also the Event Raids usually hand out a good amount of valuable awards like Bottle Caps and Armorite Ore. I'm hoping now with the Expansions they'll maybe expand what Pokemon will be in Event Dens outside the Galarian Dex. Also wouldn't mind more of the "Boss" Dens, I know we're getting Legendary Dens in Frozen Tundra but there's still Mythical Pokemon that can be bosses.

EDIT: Derped here a bit, they have indeed included Pokemon from the Expansion in the Event Raids. Though to be fair when I said this I was also kind of thinking of Pokemon like the Alolan Regional Variants & normal form of Galarian Regional Variants (maybe even the other region Starters who are in).

Last edited:
Right, let's go back to something positive.

Even though I've kind of stopped participating, I do like how they are constantly rotating the Event Raids. Not only do they try to make it possible to more easier catch Gigantamax but they also occasionally throw in a chance to encounter Shiny Pokemon. Also the Event Raids usually hand out a good amount of valuable awards like Bottle Caps and Armorite Ore. I'm hoping now with the Expansions they'll maybe expand what Pokemon will be in Event Dens outside the Galarian Dex. Also wouldn't mind more of the "Boss" Dens, I know we're getting Legendary Dens in Frozen Tundra but there's still Mythical Pokemon that can be bosses.
They already have, I believe.
The latest one (or the one before? I lost track) had Wigglytuff and I think a few other dens had their own as well. And of course, there was the anniversary dens that had Bulbasaur & Squirtle lines.

I do think it'd be novel if, after the expansion pass is done, they use event dens as a way to give the rest of the pokemon that dont make it into the pass. Most of the remainder will be kind of trash mons so it'd making getting, like, a pidgey a little more enticing.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I really admire how infrequently Game Freak introduces new types: nearly 30 years and only 3 have been added since Red and Blue. This sounds like a weird thing to praise but it really shows that on that front they're committed to keeping things from getting too crazy, only introducing new types to round out balance gaps (Dark and Steel being introduced to nerf Normals and Psychics as well as Fairy being introduced to nerf Dragons and make Poison and Steel more valuable offensively). There are a lot of other companies that if they had control over the Pokemon IP would probably just introduce a new type every gen or 2 for the sake of having something shiny and new to market without carefully considering the balance implications and type chart disturbances

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 9, Guests: 16)