Little things you like about Pokémon

737373elj

Banned deucer.
STAB Ice moves would make a real dent in opponents, provided that the user had a high enough offensive stat and that the move had high enough base power. Unfortunately, that combination is very, very rare. Ice Beam and Blizzard are powerful moves, but there are no good Ice-type special attackers. There exist Ice-types with high Attack, but no (non-signature) high-power physical Ice-type moves. Exceptions do exist, of course, but they tend to be badly hemmed by a lack of Speed and/or coverage moves.
You’re forgetting Kyurem-White. There’s a reason it’s Ubers. (Search me why Pokemon GO calcs show that it will be better than Rayquaza. Oh well Rayquaza will get it back when it gets it’s Mega...)

You’re forgetting Kyurem-White. There’s a reason it’s Ubers. (Search me why Pokemon GO calcs show that it will be better than Rayquaza. Oh well Rayquaza will get it back when it gets it’s Mega...)
I'm pretty sure anything with those stats and the movepool to back it up would be Ubers. I think it's more telling that Kyurem-Black is allowed in OU. Even if you disregard the lackluster physical movepool, I'd be willing to wager there's a good chance it would have stayed in Ubers if it wasn't part Ice, at least back in B2W2 when Dragon STAB was still good.

737373elj

Banned deucer.
I'm pretty sure anything with those stats and the movepool to back it up would be Ubers. I think it's more telling that Kyurem-Black is allowed in OU. Even if you disregard the lackluster physical movepool, I'd be willing to wager there's a good chance it would have stayed in Ubers if it wasn't part Ice, at least back in B2W2 when Dragon STAB was still good.
That’s quite true. It really suffers from a lack of a usable Ice-type Physical move, without a need to mention a lack of Earthquake (it seems against flavor though...).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
As part of the GameInformer Pokemon issue for Sword & Shield, they had two "Top #" lists. They didn't really fit on the Sword & Shield discussion thread so thought to mention them here.

Top 10 Gym Leaders (23):
First list is a rather sudden Top 10 of Gym Leaders. There's nothing explaining any criteria or who and how many people were asked. Just says "top ten", "Gym Leaders", author is Brian Shea, and then the Gym Leaders with a quick blurb about them (and barely explains why they were picked, more telling you about them). So, without further ado:

10. Wulfric
9. Maylene
8. Misty
7. Brock

6. Korrina
5. Sabrina
4. Volkner

3. Clair
2. Blue

1. Giovanni

The Scariest/Creepiest Entries In the Pokedex (Page 96):
The classic "wish Pokemon was real? Well think again!" article, but to be fair it is the month of Halloween so let's see what picked:

Gengar (Sun): Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up.
Gyarados (Emerald): It is an extremely vicious and violent Pokémon. When humans begin to fight, it will appear and burn everything to the ground with intensely hot flames.
Houndoom (Gold): If you are burned by the flames it shoots from its mouth, the pain will never go away.
Tyranitar (Black & White): If it rampages, it knocks down mountains and buries rivers. Maps must be redrawn afterward.

Carvanha (Ruby): Carvanha's strongly developed jaws and its sharply pointed fangs pack the destructive power to rip out boat hulls. Many boats have been attacked and sunk by this Pokémon.
Banette (Ultra Sun): It's a stuffed toy that was thrown away and became possessed, ever searching for the one who threw it away so it can exact its revenge.
Gorebyss (Ultra Moon): It sucks bodily fluids out of its prey. The leftover meat sinks to the seafloor, where it becomes food for other Pokémon
Drifloon (Sun): Stories go that it grabs the hands of small children and drags them away to the afterlife. It dislikes heavy children.

Froslass (Sun): When it finds humans or Pokémon it likes, it freezes them and takes them to its chilly den, where they become decorations.
Gurdurr (Black 2 & White 2): With strengthened bodies, they skillfully wield steel beams to take down buildings.
Thundurus (Black): Countless charred remains mar the landscape of places through which Thundurus has passed.
Honedge (Y): If anyone dares to grab its hilt, it wraps a blue cloth around that person's arm and drains that person's life energy completely.

Gourgeist (Y): It enwraps its prey in its hairlike arms. It sings joyfully as it observes the suffering of its prey.
Bewear (Moon): This Pokémon has the habit of hugging its companions. Many Trainers have left this world after their spines were squashed by its hug.
Palossand (Moon): Buried beneath the castle are masses of dried-up bones from those whose vitality it has drained.
Mimikyu (Ultra Moon): A gust of wind revealed what hides under this Pokémon's rag to a passing Trainer, who went home and died painfully that very night.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Gurdurr I also find as an odd inclusion. Nothing particularly scary or creepy about its Dex entry. Just saying how strong it is.

If they want a creepy Fighting-type dex entry how about Primeape's from Sun: "It has been known to become so angry that it dies as a result. Its face looks peaceful in death, however."

Some of the Mega Pokemon's descriptions aren't pleasant, especially the ones where it mentions the Pokemon's body breaking being unable to take the Infinity energy like Tyranitar's back bursting open or Glalie's jaw breaking open.

I never found the Mega dex entries that crazy. If we take that the Mega form is biologically a temporary state for the biggest fights (something that, contests notwithstanding, holds up for the most part in game), than some degree of pain or high aggression is not unexpected.
I think the problem is the ethics. Do you think its Ok for hurt your Pokemon for the sake of competition and entertainment? I feel like whoever wrote these must have been completely alien and wrote them while GF was on break.

I think the problem is the ethics. Do you think its Ok for hurt your Pokemon for the sake of competition and entertainment? I feel like whoever wrote these must have been completely alien and wrote them while GF was on break.
isn’t that kinda the whole thing with Pokémon though? You’re literally fighting your so called friends until they faint or are no longer able to battle. The mega Pokémon ethics debate should take a back seat to the actual Pokémon fighting ethics debate if we’re considering ethics at all (it’s a video game, let’s not haha).

isn’t that kinda the whole thing with Pokémon though? You’re literally fighting your so called friends until they faint or are no longer able to battle. The mega Pokémon ethics debate should take a back seat to the actual Pokémon fighting ethics debate if we’re considering ethics at all (it’s a video game, let’s not haha).
Not really. To them, it's like a sport. Sure, it has a huge likeness to cockfighting, but in recent entries (BW as earliest IIRC) it's implied they like doing that.

Last edited:
True. When you get down to the fundamentals of it, Pokémon is a complete cock fight: The breeding and the battles. Animal Right groups have accused Pokémon of that in the past: PETA’s Black and Blue remember?

I'm not sure if this is a little thing, since it's essentially the very premise of the franchise, but...

I like to compare and interpret Pokémon in relation to other JRPGs, because it makes it seem like Pokémon is a game where every single enemy you encounter in your adventure is playable.

Like, in most RPGs you generally play as a party mostly composed of humans, when all regular enemies have really bizarre and diverse designs that just seem more interesting, but Pokémon not only lets you play as anything you can encounter, but also gives them a full moveset, so that even the simple monsters you fought in the early game can be used in the rest of the game if you want.

Imagine if, for example, Final Fantasy let you recruit the random Goblin you found at the start of the game, or the really cool dragon you fought on a boss battle in the mid-game, and let you bring them all the way to the final boss. This is pretty much what Pokémon does, and it's really neat when you really think about it, specially if you're a fan of monster designs.

I think that's why designs like Impidimp's just seem so interesting to me, they really enphatize this feeling of "a JRPG where all enemies and bosses are playable".

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I never found the Mega dex entries that crazy. If we take that the Mega form is biologically a temporary state for the biggest fights (something that, contests notwithstanding, holds up for the most part in game), than some degree of pain or high aggression is not unexpected.
I always had a bit of a problem with the Mega descriptions that implied the Pokemon was in pain or an unhealthy level of aggression for this reason. If all true you're a terrible trainer letting your Pokemon, who you're supposed to see as friends and partners, go through a horrific transformation. I kind of wish they had something additional somewhere that all the negative dex entries was result of a Mega Evolution done "forcefully" by someone who the Pokemon didn't have a close bond with meanwhile trainers with a close bond with their Pokemon had something like an energy flow going between trainer and Pokemon which negated the terrible effect.
Instead of Glalie's jaw breaking off it's able to dislodge its jaw naturally.
Instead of Tyranitar's back suddenly bursting open from so much energy the controlled energy flow allowed Tyranitar to focus on the energy onto its back and has its spikes jet out to channel it.
Instead of Kangaskhan being worried its child is now a monster, with their trainer carefully directing it, it knows its baby is safe and capable .
Etc., etc..

I'm not sure if this is a little thing, since it's essentially the very premise of the franchise, but...

I like to compare and interpret Pokémon in relation to other JRPGs, because it makes it seem like Pokémon is a game where every single enemy you encounter in your adventure is playable.

Like, in most RPGs you generally play as a party mostly composed of humans, when all regular enemies have really bizarre and diverse designs that just seem more interesting, but Pokémon not only lets you play as anything you can encounter, but also gives them a full moveset, so that even the simple monsters you fought in the early game can be used in the rest of the game if you want.

Imagine if, for example, Final Fantasy let you recruit the random Goblin you found at the start of the game, or the really cool dragon you fought on a boss battle in the mid-game, and let you bring them all the way to the final boss. This is pretty much what Pokémon does, and it's really neat when you really think about it, specially if you're a fan of monster designs.

I think that's why designs like Impidimp's just seem so interesting to me, they really enphatize this feeling of "a JRPG where all enemies and bosses are playable".
Funny you should mention that, because James Turner actually talked about that in his interview with GameInformer. He told the crew that while the team is allowed to design scary Pokemon, they have to have some friendly vibes to them. He used Buzzwole for an example. While Buzzwole is intimidating, its flexing is supposed to give a "friendly" vibe to it. This does cause some problems though with the portrayal of Necrozma in USM, where they try to make it a bad guy by fusing with Nebby and stealing the light of Alola, but its ends up falling flat because they don't give Necrozma a voice, and Lillie insists that we have to help it. Heck, even Nebby is willing to fuse with Necrozma for the sake of helping it.

On a related leaker who got Dynamax and Gigantamax forms as well as Sirfetch'd right also mentioned that the legendary Eteraneous or something is going to be the antagonist of SwSh. I'm hoping its not true because of the reasons mentioned above, but consider that leaker been right so far, I'm not holding my breath.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Funny you should mention that, because James Turner actually talked about that in his interview with GameInformer. He told the crew that while the team is allowed to design scary Pokemon, they have to have some friendly vibes to them. He used Buzzwole for an example. While Buzzwole is intimidating, its flexing is supposed to give a "friendly" vibe to it. This does cause some problems though with the portrayal of Necrozma in USM, where they try to make it a bad guy by fusing with Nebby and stealing the light of Alola, but its ends up falling flat because they don't give Necrozma a voice, and Lillie insists that we have to help it. Heck, even Nebby is willing to fuse with Necrozma for the sake of helping it.

On a related leaker who got Dynamax and Gigantamax forms as well as Sirfetch'd right also mentioned that the legendary Eteraneous or something is going to be the antagonist of SwSh. I'm hoping its not true because of the reasons mentioned above, but consider that leaker been right so far, I'm not holding my breath.
If I recall correctly, the Affleck leak mentioned Eternatus but did not state its role in the story if any. The main antagonist thing comes from one of the likely false piggyback leaks

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So GameInformer had another series of questions on their coverage for SwSh. BUT these questions aren't about SwSh but rather just random Pokemon questions. Here's the link so you can read the "Burning Questions For The Pokemon Series" yourself, but here my takeaway:

• Masuda doesn't think Ash exists in the games. So either he forgot about Ash-Greninja and the Ash Cap Pikachus or those Pokemon dropped into the games from another dimension.
  • Delia x Professor Oak is swept aside. They hang out a lot because they're from the same town, that's probably it...
  • Yoshi is not a Pokemon, though GF did make a Yoshi game.
  • Kirby isn't a Pokemon either. However GF staff member Koji Nishino had the nickname "Kirby" because he ate a lot. For those who know their Pokemon trivia, Nishino is the basis for Snorlax so Snorlax's Japanese name was made similar to Kirby's: Kabigon. They also brought up the sad news that the namesake of Kirby, John Kirby who was Nintendo's Lawyer that defended them against Universal Studios for using the name "Kong" and won, recently died.
  • There may be other trainers using older version of the Pokedex. But the player character will always be using the latest model thus have the most up-to-date information.
  • Professor Willow isn't to be (fully) trusted... though Masuda dodged the question what Willow does with all the Pokemon sent to him (hmm, since the previous questions were about Team Rocket, maybe he's giving them to Team Rocket to create Shadow Pokemon!!1!).
  • Most music is probably only heard in the player's head. Guessing they're listening to an iPod... or they're insane. Though music like the Pokemon Center theme is probably playing over the loudspeaker.
  • Dodged the "What's Inside a Pokeball" Question, mostly, said it's like a high-end hotel.
  • If a human eats a Rare Candy they possibly become better at something like studying!
  • Masuda isn't sure what the Professors would do if they met up. So there's no big Pokemon science conferences that happen every few years the Pokemon Professors go to? Like all the research they do is just published in science journals, they don't ever do a live presentation of their work to other scientists from across the Pokemon world?
  • Masuda & Ohmori would rather fight 100 Psyduck-sized Rapidash instead of a Rapidash-sized Psyduck. Their reason is Psyduck already has explosive psychic powers in its normal size. Guess they're completely ignoring there's plenty of ways to easily deal with Psyduck even it it was big and they now have 100 little fire horses running around and setting things on fire.
  • Masuda would be an Electric-type Gym Leader and use Pikachu, Yamper, and Morpeko. Good job jobbing for the recent generation there, Masuda, now mind telling us what your actual choices are?
  • Ohmori is a bit better. Says he'll be Grass-type and use Alolan Exeggutor, Grookey, and Oddish.

I will say this is something that gets overlooked generation to generation, but I like how GF is trying to add features that make each region unique. While it can be annoying when we lose things like z-moves and mega forms each generation, they're fun and make a region unique to play through. Hopefully this newest mechanic doesn't end up a total flop to keep the hype going.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Speaking of ridiculously cute, this trailer for the newest TCG is adorable:
0:05:
Igglybuff: Oh...
Cleffa: My...
Togepi: Gods
0:06:
Igglybuff: Today's a good day to die.
Togepi: It was an honor fighting with you both.
Cleffa: Tonight we dine in the Distortion World.
All Three: BRING IT!
0:11
Igglybuff: We have made a terrible mistake...
0:14:
Igglypuff: We're... still alive?
Cleffa: WE'RE ALIVE!
Togepi: Good work team, I knew we could face them!

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Speaking of ridiculously cute, this trailer for the newest TCG is adorable:
0:05:
Igglybuff: Oh...
Cleffa: My...
Togepi: Gods
0:06:
Igglybuff: Today's a good day to die.
Togepi: It was an honor fighting with you both.
Cleffa: Tonight we dine in the Distortion World.
All Three: BRING IT!
0:11
Igglybuff: We have made a terrible mistake...
0:14:
Igglypuff: We're... still alive?
Cleffa: WE'RE ALIVE!
Togepi: Good work team, I knew we could face them!
You know what makes this even better?

Notice how it's Palkia, Dialga and Arceus-Dragon specifically. And the three little ones? They are all Fairies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)