Little things you like about Pokémon

I think if they were trying to do an anti-softlock measure, especially for one where you'd only have one Pokémon; they really should have made it Level 25 or 30 or something. Regardless, this is really awesome! I love it when people can find previously-unknown things in old games we all love, and I never expected it to happen for something as picked apart as a mainline Pokémon game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TruePokemon/comments/ih1w4x

So this is pretty cool, all this time HGSS has had an anti-softlock feature in Cianwood, seemingly undiscovered all this time.

With all the dives into the game I'm surprised this has never been found until now. I wonder if ORAS has this....
ORAS forces you to take the Eon Flute, a key item that let you fly around at any time without being tied to a Pokemon in your party knowing Fly, before you ever set foot in Mossdeep/Sootopolis/the league. It also prevents the issue of "I threw away all my money and can't get more" by unlocking Super Training early in the game, which you can grind from anywhere to stock up on sellable items if you need to.

ORAS forces you to take the Eon Flute, a key item that let you fly around at any time without being tied to a Pokemon in your party knowing Fly, before you ever set foot in Mossdeep/Sootopolis/the league. It also prevents the issue of "I threw away all my money and can't get more" by unlocking Super Training early in the game, which you can grind from anywhere to stock up on sellable items if you need to.
You get the Eon Flute at Sootopolis itself, immediately after catching/defeating the cover legendary.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
One more thing. I like the C-Gear in Gen 5. This occurred to me as I have gone back to playing the Gen 5 games this year. The C-Gear didn't do everything, but it had some really useful features. It sort of paved the way for the gadgets in future generations, and I think it was the first one to allow you to trade outside of Pokémon Centers or the GTS. One thing I particularly like is how it always displays the current time and battery level on the bottom screen - even in battle! This is something I miss in other generations. On the whole, the C-Gear feels like a predecessor to the PSS to me, while the PSS feels like a very natural improvement from the C-Gear.
Another feature I like about the C-Gear that no other "PokeApp" has done is you can change the background. I used the Victini Background for my White version and the Keldeo Background for my White2. The only thing that stinks about the backgrounds that to change them you needed to access the Global Link... which is no longer active. So even if you got many different backgrounds, well, they're all gone now and you're stuck with the one you have last chosen before the site changed over to XY Global Link. And if you start a new game you can't change the background at all (and they're not in the game's code so you can't hack them). You could also change the shape and placement of the icons via the C-Gear Settings but that was rather minor compared to the backgrounds.

However, and even though I know they were all gimmicky, I really liked the Poketch and all the fun little apps it had.

However, and even though I know they were all gimmicky, I really liked the Poketch and all the fun little apps it had.
To quote from this very thread, years ago:

That awkward moment when you realize the Poketch was basically the Apple Watch of 2006....and it didn't suck.
Plus, it has some extremely useful functions: Checking Friendship on the go, an in-game step counter for egg hatching or managing poison damage, monitoring the Day Care for Eggs, map markers that also kept track of Roaming Legendaries, in-game type effectiveness calculation...

One thing that I have liked about Sword and Shield is how ribbons give you unique titles to use ingame/ in battle stadium. It gives a more tangible benefit to transferring pokemon over to Sw/Sh, with unique titles accessible for the achievements in previous games. Some titles are interesting in how rare they can be, as some were only given out in unique events.

The title "the Victor" or "the World Conqueror" is only given out to certain pokemon that won the Pokemon Fiesta tournaments, which is a extremely rare tournament to have pokemon have a title from, but its very cool that there is still some benefit to transferring the pokemon to modern consoles. More rarer but possible example is the Earth and National ribbons, which with the "Battle Ready" mark can have pokemon from Colosseum or XD have rare marks but usable, which can be especially interesting going to battle stadium and having a pokemon with "the 100x Victorious: as a title.

I find the VGC titles very interesting, as the regional, national, and world champion ribbons appear to be designed to be given out to tournament winning pokemon, but only the World Champion ribbon has been apparently given out once, to Ryota Otsubo's Krookodile. I would love to have this pokemon, as it is pretty cool that this is the only pokemon that can apparently legally have "the World Champion" as a title.

There are a lot of other interesting titles, like "the Tried and True," a title exclusive to Gen VI, or "the Champion." a title exclusive to beating the Pokemon League in Gen III, but I really like these titles as a way to reward transferring pokemon to new generations while keeping what they accomplished in the older generations intact. For a final example, "the Model for Paintings" title is restricted to pokemon that win the Hoenn Contests in master rank (and shown in the Lilycove Museum,) which in my opinion is cool to have, and a great way to illustrate the time that people have spent playing pokemon, without restricting substantive content.

(Edited, "the Tried and True" title is exclusive to Gen VI, not IV.)

Last edited:
I think if they were trying to do an anti-softlock measure, especially for one where you'd only have one Pokémon; they really should have made it Level 25 or 30 or something. Regardless, this is really awesome! I love it when people can find previously-unknown things in old games we all love, and I never expected it to happen for something as picked apart as a mainline Pokémon game.
Not sure if this is the right place to say this... but after reading this now, it feels to me like the soft-lock Tentacool might be just another victim of the HG/SS level curve.

But even so, I think this is really cool. Even if I don't like HG/SS on the whole, I like how something new about them was just recently discovered, 10/11 years after they were first released!
Another feature I like about the C-Gear that no other "PokeApp" has done is you can change the background. I used the Victini Background for my White version and the Keldeo Background for my White2. The only thing that stinks about the backgrounds that to change them you needed to access the Global Link... which is no longer active. So even if you got many different backgrounds, well, they're all gone now and you're stuck with the one you have last chosen before the site changed over to XY Global Link. And if you start a new game you can't change the background at all (and they're not in the game's code so you can't hack them). You could also change the shape and placement of the icons via the C-Gear Settings but that was rather minor compared to the backgrounds.

I agree, changing the background was cool but the execution wasn't perfect. Though that's more because of the closing of Wi-Fi and the PGL/Dream World. I also liked being able to change the background. If anything, I'm happy I played Gen 5 so much when it was new so I was able to get a special background before the PGL closed down. I have a Keldeo background on both Black and White, then I'm pretty sure I have a Reshiram background on Black 2 and a Meloetta background on White 2. And being able to customize the C-Gear even further by placing the buttons where you wanted them was really cool too, even if it was minor.

Regarding the Pokétch, I want to say something about it too. It was cool and a good first step for how to use the touch screen and two screens in Pokémon. While not all of the apps were super useful, it had several good ones. My favorites are the following:
Digital watch: Similar to the C-Gear, I really liked having the current time being displayed at the bottom screen outside of battles. I always used this one when I wasn't using another one.
Pedometer: (which I prefer to call the "Step Counter", but whatever!) Great in combination with the VS. Seeker, knowing exactly how many steps you had to walk to recharge it.
Day-Care Checker: I always used this when breeding in D/P/P, it was a great way to check if there was an egg at the Day-Care without having to be near the Day-Care Man.
Marking Map: Great for marking things on the map (though not as great as the way the map marking in HG/SS), and amazing when hunting down roamers, especially in Platinum.
Coin Toss: Good if I wanted to make a decision but couldn't make up my mind, also great for confirming if I hit my seed when RNGing.

Those are my top 5 favorites, but there were few others which could be useful as well even if I didn't use them as much.

While we're at it, I guess I'll continue by talking about another thing I wanted to mention here. A mechanic which might not be the most fun to utilize even if it is necessary if you are a competitive or semi-competitive player. EVs and EV-training.

To start with, I really like how EV-training has gotten better, easier and more convenient throughout the generations. I have been EV-training since Gen 3, and I really like how it has constantly been getting better. I have EV-trained in every game from Gen 3 and on except HG/SS and technically Sword (depends on how you count). Either way, it had a very rough start in Gen 3. Apart from using vitamins, the only real way to get more EVs was through the Macho Brace, and Pokérus if you were lucky enough to find it or have a local friend who had it. Gen 4 did a big improvement with the Power Items, letting you get much more EVs than with the Macho Brace. Wi-Fi also meant that getting Pokérus was easier than before. Gen 5 was the same as Gen 4, but Gen 6 improved further in two ways. The first is Hordes, which allowed the defeat of five Pokémon in the same battle, letting you gain EVs faster. The second is Super Training which was basically just an alternative but it was also great to let a Pokémon gain EVs without gaining Exp. at the same time. Starting using a team at level 1 that was already EV-trained was something I really liked.

Gen 7 improved further by doubling the effect of the Power Items and making sure SOS chains gave extra EVs. It also featured my personal favorite way of EV-training in the series so far: Poké Pelago. Once I found out how awesome it was for EV-training, I always used it. I set the amount of EVs I wanted a Pokémon to gain, then left them there while doing something else in the game or just turning off the game and doing something else altogether, then I could just come back and pick them up when the EV-training was done. I haven't looked into Gen 8 that much yet but I know that one very important thing it did was to allow for infinite use of vitamins, as opposed to in previous generations where vitamins could only be used until you had reached the first 100 EVs in a specific stat. On the whole, EV-training is one of many mechanics in Pokémon which has gradually improved over the generations, and I like that a lot.

Another thing related to EV-training that I like and that I already partly mentioned: the Power Items. They are great since they give more EVs than the Macho Brace. However, one issue with them is that they tend to be locked behind BP shops at Battle Facilities. So one other thing I like is when the games give you the Power Items for free. The games that do this are B2/W2 which give three of them for free (which I also think vary slightly depending on the version, not sure though) and US/UM which give out all of them for free. So that's good.

One last thing about EVs that I like is this: At Mt. Battle in Pokémon XD (I think), there are some trainers you can face in a row with teams of specific Pokémon that all give EVs for a single specific stat. I saw this mentioned on the internet many years ago and I remembered it now, it is a really cool and quite well-hidden mechanic, but one that was obviously intended.

The fact that DPPt doesn't feature the main Pokemon theme on their respective title screens, with it being heard only in the opening movie.

Instead you hear that mysterious sinister music making you think "wait did I put the wrong game in" with an ominous silhouette of the respective legendary. It helps make the games stand out a bit more and I wish the games wouldn't just stick to the title theme all the time.

BW2 does pretty good at this though - the title theme starts very ominous and is later reworked into Black / White Kyurem's battle theme (shame it only lasts like 30 seconds, very underrated track imo).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Anyone else has saucy noteworthy official artwork they want to share?
Oh, do I have a twitter thread for you.

Pretty sure that Joltik is still too big.
Who says it's the Joltik that's the wrong size?

1. baby Pokemon for sure
Now that they've made them available in the wild I think a few Baby Pokemon have become useful to allow early access for certain Pokemon like Magby, Elekid, Smoochum, Tyrogue, Mime Jr., Happiny, Munchlax, Bonsly, Mantyke & Wynaut. However, there's still kind of no point for Pichu, Cleffa, Igglypuff, Azurill, Budew, & Chingling as their evolution could just as easily be in Wild instead of their Baby evo (and because of this the Baby Evo has really low stats), even with them having 3 guaranteed 31 IVs. They still need to do more, like maybe allow them to learn a few move that their evolutions don't normally learn. For example Pichu could learn Parabolic Charge, Cleffa learn Fairy Lock, Igglypuff learn Boomburst, Azurill learn Life Dew, Budew learn Sludge Wave, and Chingling learn Clanging Scales.

Budew, & Chingling
For what it's worth, Roselia and Chimecho are decent in their own right. Certainly not things that one should be using by the time they make it to the end, but out of place in a context early into the game.
maybe allow them to learn a few move that their evolutions don't normally learn.
I don't think this would happen because of what appears to be a policy change where mons don't loose acess to a move upon evolving any more.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
For what it's worth, Roselia and Chimecho are decent in their own right. Certainly not things that one should be using by the time they make it to the end, but out of place in a context early into the game.
Hm, I guess the latter outweighed my consideration for the former. Looking at Roselia and Chimecho, yeah, their stats are higher than I remembered so probably would be that early of a Pokemon to get; making Budew and Chingling early game a nice way to get them early.

Honestly puchicorn, the scrapped Ponyta pre-evolution, should have stayed in the series, seeing it was going to be in not just GS but RB originally slotted everything into place for me because damn does Ponyta's statline make way more sense as a mid evolution.
410 BST (345 for gen 1) is quite high for something that evolves. For comparison, here is the company it shares:
-mid-stage pseudos (Fraxure, Drakloak, Gabite, Pupitar)
-"weak" final-stages (Bibarel, Magcargo, Azumarill [huge Power], Medicham [huge power]
-Random "single" stage pokemon (Pyukumuku, Corsola (now evolves if Galarian), Sudowoodo (later got bonsly)
-Other, non-special middle stage pokemon Carkol & Sealeo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)