Little things you like about Pokémon

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
One thing I've always liked about the PMD series is how it's one of the few instances where we get to see Pokemon themselves really be fleshed-out characters with their own story arcs, dialogue and more. Team Charm, Grovyle and Dusknoir, Wigglytuff, Munna, Hydreigon, god damn Nuzleaf even get an entirely new lease on life through these games

One thing I've always liked about the PMD series is how it's one of the few instances where we get to see Pokemon themselves really be fleshed-out characters with their own story arcs, dialogue and more. Team Charm, Grovyle and Dusknoir, Wigglytuff, Munna, Hydreigon, god damn Nuzleaf even get an entirely new lease on life through these games
Absol, Chatot, Xatu, Emolga, Virizion, Gardevoir...the list goes on and on and on.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Throughout playing the Sword and Shield DLC extensively, there are a few things that I think are really neat.

The first has to do with TRs and their placements in the IoA and CT. There are quite a few places where you find the Legendary Pokemon, but the main thing I like is that across Legendary locations, you can find TRs that correspond with the type of the Legendary you can get there.

- The Towers of Two Fists. Behind each of the Towers is a TR. The Tower of Darkness allows Kubfu to become Single Strike Urshifu. Behind this Tower is the TR for Throat Chop, a Dark-type move. The Tower of Waters allows Kubfu to become Rapid Strike Urshifu. Behind this Tower is the TR for Liquidation, a Water-type move.
- Right outside of the Crown Shrine, where you catch Calyrex, is the TR for Psychic. Since Calyrex is a Psychic-type, this fits super well.
- Right outside each of the Regi Ruins. Regirock's ruin has the TR for Stone Edge. Regice's ruin has the TR for Ice Beam. Registeel's ruin has the TR for Flash Cannon. Regieleki and Regidrago's ruin has two TRs that contain Thunder (for Eleki) and Outrage (for Drago).
- Right by the Dyna Tree Hill where you first meet the Galarian Birds, there is a TR for Brave Bird. Fitting considering they're all birds.

The next thing is about the roaming concept with the Galarian Birds. Not only is roaming more interesting this time around, but the specific way you chase each of the birds corresponds with their typings really well.

- Articuno is a Psychic-type. It challenges you to a game of wits. You chase it, then it will settle down and it will create two shadow copies, the real one waving its wing, then challenge you to catch which one is the real one. If you guess wrong, it will laugh and then encourage you to try again after chasing it more. But if you guess right, it will challenge you. True to the Psychic-type, it plays a mind game: can you identify the correct Articuno?
- Zapdos is a Fighting-type. It runs fast as lightning, and what you have to do is chase it down relentlessly as it keeps running. After a while of chasing it, it will slow down and stop, and stare at you, seemingly now declaring you a worthy opponent. True to the Fighting-type, this is a test of stamina: can you keep going even in the face of a physically demanding situation like this?
- Moltres is a Dark-type. It basically is the type that plays dirty and has no sense of honor. It won't do anything if it doesn't see you, but the moment it sees you, it attacks from behind like a hostile wild encounter. You can also use a whistle or the bike bell if you're in front of it, and signal it to attack you, which basically is a "Bring it on!" noise.

They really nailed it here with these three in particular.

:ss/meowstic-m::ss/meowstic-f:

Pokemon has a handful of male/female counterparts, and in many of them, the male is offensive and the female is defensive. Latios/Latias, Indeedee, Nidoking/Nidoqueen, Braviary/Mandibuzz (less direct counterparts, but still follows). Even Voltbeat/Illumise follow this trend despite their near-identical stars (just Attack and Special Attack switched) with Volbeat learning Tail Glow and Illumise learning a variety of support moves like Aromatherapy and Wish.

Meowstic bucks this trend, however. While their stats are identical, the males have a defensive hidden ability in Prankster, while the females have the more offensive Competitive. The males also get some exclusive support moves (Imprison, Mean Look, Misty Terrain, Quick Guard) while the females get some exclusive attacks (Extrasensory, Future Sight, Magical Leaf, Stored Power).

And, uh, I think the biggest loss regarding the Galar fossils is that we're unlikely to ever get the full fossils for each of the halves.
It's a loss, but I kinda like knowing that Draco, Arcto, Zolt, and Vish, all existed in the past, but their true forms elude us. They're like those dinosaurs that we only know about because of like, a single femur. Sure, finding more information about them is exciting, but so is the mystery.

It's a loss, but I kinda like knowing that Draco, Arcto, Zolt, and Vish, all existed in the past, but their true forms elude us. They're like those dinosaurs that we only know about because of like, a single femur. Sure, finding more information about them is exciting, but so is the mystery.
I could have just found incorrect info, but interestingly enough, we've only ever found dunkleosteus skulls (which is what the inspiration for the Vish fossil clearly is). A bit of continuity between the real world and the Pokémon world, and at least a small reason why we won't be getting the full fossils :psywoke:

I like the history and thought that goes into the design of each Pokémon. For example, the reason the Galarian fossils look so weird is a reference to scientists playing mix 'n match with fossils.

Pokemon designs are often more clever than people realize and its something I think they keep getting better at as the series moves forward. It’s a lot of fun just reading about the potential origins for each pokemon design on bulbapedia. You can always learn something cool about even the most ‘generic’ of pokemon.

On a related note, i love how aesthetically pleasing official artwork of most pokemon designs are. Its so clean and strikes a perfect balance between being overly simplistic to the point of being forgettable, and overly complicated to the point of being hard to remember.

Other monster catching games completely miss the mark in this respect. I look at a game like Temtem and their creature designs and I struggle to remember a single one 5 minutes later. I think this is a major reason pokemon continues to have so much success and staying power and has never really been threatened by similar games.

Another TCG shoutout. The newest set is a reprint set, and this time it's doing new full arts for some of the trainers, particularly Marnie & Piers. Marnie gets out her semifinals outfit but Piers gets.....

One based on his younger self, the one you see on his rare league card! I like his linoone there too. It's always fun to see the alternate designs get some use.

It'd be cool to get a similar one for Kabu (who isn't in the set), Rose (who IS in the set) and Opal (who doesnt have a card at all yet) some day
Though I'm guessing if Rose gets a full art it'll be based on the climax, in front of the cocoon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What art style are you referring to?
They have a very simplistic style to them make the mix-and-match "work"/easy to do; they almost look like they're made from solid plastic. Like they look like something I'd find in those cheap bin of plastic dinosaurs toys. If you compare them to past Fossil Pokemon they look more detailed in body shape and less vibrantly colored (not saying some weren't brightly colored, but the colors they had felt purposely picked to blend with the design and make you think this was an actual creature).

And, uh, I think the biggest loss regarding the Galar fossils is that we're unlikely to ever get the full fossils for each of the halves.
Which is an odd thing because with the other Fossils we've gotten complete Pokemon with only a small piece of them. Omanyte, Kabuto & Tirtouga from their shell, Lileep from its flower bud, Anorith from its claw, Crandidos & Shieldon from their cranium, Archen from its feather, Tyrunt from its jaw, and Amaura from its eyelid. Aerodactyl is possibly even more extreme as the original implication is that it's revived from blood that was drunk by a mosquito which got caught in tree resin; though nowadays they'd probably say it was tree resin that Aerodactyl liked to eat and thus most Old Ambers likely contain Aerodactyl genetics.

Yet it seems like these fossils can ONLY be revived when combined. I always wondered why there aren't a slew of Fossil Pokemon, was the ancient Pokemon World only filled with these handful of Fossils. But now I'm wondering if the case isn't that these were the only Fossil Pokemon but these were the only Fossil Pokemon able to be revived. There are probably hundreds if not thousands of prehistoric Pokemon, but just something about them makes them un-revivable (maybe has to do with all Fossils before now being Rock-type, maybe they were Rock-types before becoming Fossils thus able to be revived from rocks rather then being Rock-type because their DNA was mixed with rocks!). And maybe originally the Galar Fossils were this, unable to be be revived because they're not Rock-types thus too much of their genetic material decomposed except for the parts of them that become fossilized (and we'll just pretend all species fossilize the same way, or at least for those that can be revived). However, just like how the in Jurassic Park they used frogs to replace any missing DNA, there was enough genetic material in certain parts that when combined together let them be revived... with horrific results.

Seriously, Cara Liss needs to be charged with Pokemon cruelty. Like in future games the only way I can see being able to get the Galar Fossils if they're even directly given to you as Gifts or there's a shady scientist you can speak with instead of the scientist who usually revives Fossil Pokemon that'll agree to combine the Fossils.

I look at a game like Temtem and their creature designs and I struggle to remember a single one 5 minutes later. I think this is a major reason pokemon continues to have so much success and staying power and has never really been threatened by similar games.
Well it has, but what you say about design comes into play and let's Pokemon keep going. I would use Temtems as an example as that's a fanmade game. The example I would go to would be Pokemon's old rival, Digimon, and newest rival, Yokai! Watch. Now to be fair to Digimon the "classic" Digimon are still remembered by many even today, however Digimon doesn't have a rigid monster designing rules like Pokemon does so Digimon designs are all over the place. Yokai! Watch designs meanwhile did feel like they had some designing rules and for a while in Japan they were more popular than Pokemon among kids... but then someway along the way Yokai! Watch seemed to trip up. But aside from that, I also recall Yokai! Watch having many similar designs to one another and share generally the same aesthetic. Meanwhile Pokemon range from looking cute, strong, creepy, scary, cartoony, realistic, etc..

Another TCG shoutout. The newest set is a reprint set, and this time it's doing new full arts for some of the trainers, particularly Marnie & Piers. Marnie gets out her semifinals outfit but Piers gets.....

One based on his younger self, the one you see on his rare league card! I like his linoone there too. It's always fun to see the alternate designs get some use.

It'd be cool to get a similar one for Kabu (who isn't in the set), Rose (who IS in the set) and Opal (who doesnt have a card at all yet) some day
Though I'm guessing if Rose gets a full art it'll be based on the climax, in front of the cocoon.
Well if they do special cards for each character:

Milo: Show him working with his younger brother.
Nessa: She's a model so have it be a collage of her in different clothes. Or maybe she a younger Nessa hanging with a younger Sonia when they were competing in their first Champion Cup.
Kabu: As said, show him as his young self in his rare card.
Bea: School clothes from her concept art.
Allister: Maskless.
Opal: Her young self you see in her concept art.
Gordie/Melony: Like Milo, show them with their other family members.
Raihan/Leon: Like my second suggestion with Nessa, show young Raihan & Leon from their first Champion Cup.

scary resemblance
Which is why I wished it was its own Pokemon...

Fun thing about Allister is his full art looks like he's about to take off the mask

Guessing if he ever gets a reprint he'll take it off in the full art. Likewise I expect Sonia to put on her professor coat when she inevitably gets a reprint (or will replace Magnolia as the Professor's Research supporter).

Also I was wrong about Opal not having a card, though like all the other supporters its "just" her default outfit

Still cool artwork, though. Secret Rare supporters continue to stay winning.

Seems like the only leaders missing right now are Gordie, Melony and Raihan. guessing they'll come in the next "real" set. Which I think is an Isle of Armor themed set so we'll probably get cool Klara, Avery & Mustard artwork too

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
It's no secret that I love Gen 7 and will defend it to my dying breath. But the more I think about it the more I realize it's not just a great Pokemon game, but a borderline perfect anniversary game

To illustrate my point I'm going to compare it another game that while not necessarily an anniversary title falls into what I consider the "tropes" of one: Sonic Mania.

I like Sonic Mania. I really, really like Sonic Mania. I got no hot takes on that front, it's a good-ass game and tied for my favorite game in the Sonic series out of the ones I've played. But one common criticism of the game that I definitely agree with to an extent its it overly derivative nature: When only 4 out of 12 stages are completely original with the rest being recycled from the original Genesis trilogy + CD, even with the new level layouts it can still feel overly safe and like a big missed opportunity, especially since those handful of original stages are some of the game's finest (looking at you Press Garden).

As the big 20th anniversary game, Sun and Moon could've easily fallen into that trap. Hell, the generation just before already kind of did with Kalos' identity as a region being heavily weighed down by the suffocating focus on old Pokemon, particularly Kanto classics. SM at a glance goes a step further: A bunch of character cameos from older generations? Regional variants of Gen 1 Pokemon? This sounds like we could have a region with a very similar identity crisis to Gen 6.

And yet... It strikes the balance just right. Unlike XY, unlike Sonic Mania even, Sun and Moon keeps its purpose as a celebration of the series' history in mind, but at no point lets it completely cloud its other purpose, that of just being a new, exciting region for players to discover for the first time. The character cameos are never too intrusive, just being nice surprises along the main journey that don't overstay their welcome. The Alolan forms are a masterstroke of bringing back old Pokemon into the public conscious: Rather than feeling like cheap pandering as Megas sometimes did, they are instead skillfully incorporated into the region itself and feel completely natural, like the devs are saying "Yeah, we're gonna do Kanto fanservice, but it's going to keep to Alola's style and lore first and foremost." And of course there's all the interesting twists, turns and additions Alola itself brings: A small but fascinating new cast of Pokemon who are all specifically designed to have something special to their name no matter how gimmicky, including the deliberately strange and alien Ultra Beasts, a vibrant and memorable host of new characters, and just the whole identity of being a series of tropical islands being something fresh and distinct no other region has really touched upon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So checked James Turner's Twitter and saw him post this:
Later tweets has him confirming that he drew all the characters and oversaw the design of the clothing designs.

If the poses look familiar, these are early drawing of the Young Boy and Young Girl model. Since the Colosseum Leaders used the default models, you're probably remembering Terrell of Magma Colosseum and Marina of Waterfall Colosseum:

James Turner was also the art director for Pokemon Trozei:

I've been pleasantly surprised just how active Turner is on Twitter and how casually he's able to share concept art like this. It's a great contrast to how tight-lipped and closed off Pokémon usually is and I was surprised there was no kind of contract rule forbidding he do this, but he's just out here showing us interesting parts of the design process.

I've been pleasantly surprised just how active Turner is on Twitter and how casually he's able to share concept art like this. It's a great contrast to how tight-lipped and closed off Pokémon usually is and I was surprised there was no kind of contract rule forbidding he do this, but he's just out here showing us interesting parts of the design process.
Course does seem like he sometimes shares too much. Dr Lava's twitter, which usually compiles stuff like this, has noted that a lot of Turner's older design tweets have since been deleted.

I imagine these days he still has to get approval for some things, though I imagine concept art like this is probably fair game.

Oh man, I already loved Trozei's art style, but I hadn't seen that lineless scene before. Beautiful.

Trozei has such an interesting artstyle for Pokemon. It's oozing with that late 90s/early 2000s cartoon network vibe, like Powerpuff Girls or something.
Yeah, I always describe it as a mix of Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, and Danny Phantom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)