Little things you like about Pokémon

Speaking of artbooks, they should release a book filled with concept art for previous games, and maybe even concepts for unmade Pokémon. Game Freak would probably just say "We can't do that, what if we decide to use those unused designs eventually?" but I think it would be nice.
Plus, revealing unreleased designs themselves mean they can't be leaked by hackers.:psysly:
The funny thing is they have gone on record saying they just wouldn't re-use a design; that if it gets dropped it was dropped for a reason.

The character design in pokémon has been incredible recently. this isnt counting just the pokemon, but the human designs too.
I redesign pokémon for fun, and I often have to research to keep up with the inspirations, lore and little neat things added to designs in the current gens vs the older gens

redesigning the kanto starters was a pain in the ass because of it tho

I don't have any pictures, but if anyone feels like Zinnia got off easy, she gets stabbed in the stomach by Rayquaza and then gets hit by a point-blank Hyper Beam after being rejected in the Pokemon Adventures manga. She gets better afterwards.
Guess who found pictures!
Credit to this reddit thread. I don't want to make out that the Adventures Manga is a bloodbath massacre, and the thread notes it doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's all you remember it for.

But that doesn't mean they won't recycle the concept and make a new design from scratch, we see plenty of evidence of that from the Gen I and Gen II beta leaks.
Also they've literally said some pokemon were going to be in one generation but got dropped. Off the top of my head Shellos & Gastrodon (gen 3) and Sawk/Throh (gen 4).

So there's some clear wiggle room in play here, or by that statement they just meant "we're not going to reuse werid floppy eared torchic for anything else"

#FreeKotorra

Credit to this reddit thread. I don't want to make out that the Adventures Manga is a bloodbath massacre, and the thread notes it doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's all you remember it for.
see also: the period of like 12 years where everyone always rushed to bring up how charmeleon sliced agitha's arbok in half and use that to prop up what Adventure as a whole is like (beforeprobablyadmittingtheydidntreadpastthatorrememberedearlier)

I am a bit surprised they got to do that these days, though. Dipping into some violence here & there or taking some liberties with characters is one thing (see: blasting wit hthe hyper beam, that feels pretty every green for the former and the compelte & utter nonsense that is Archie & Maxie for the latter) but modern Pokemon letting a pokemon (much less a highly marketable legendary) explicitly stab anyone, much less a named important NPC, causing her to very expressly bleed out on multiple pokemon is....a bit off model, we'll say, for a series as tightly controlled as Pokemon.
Pikachu can barely go on promotional material unless it shows off its ears but rayquaza out here stabbing zinnie in the stomach

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Wait, I knew Zinnia got stabbed by Rayquaza, but she also got close-up HYPER BEAMED? I can believe she survived the stabbing, but how in the world did she survive getting blasted by a Legendary's energy blast? Also you could try saving your master anytime there, Salamence...

Wait, I knew Zinnia got stabbed by Rayquaza, but she also got close-up HYPER BEAMED? I can believe she survived the stabbing, but how in the world did she survive getting blasted by a Legendary's energy blast? Also you could try saving your master anytime there, Salamence...
ORAS arc is known as being a BIG mess. Kusaka had to rush this one out because he was working with BW2, XY and was having to get ready for the SUMO arc (he didnt know it was sumo at the time, but he knew the new games were coming soon and he'd get more material). To this day i dont know what the hell went on with zinnia

ORAS arc is known as being a BIG mess. Kusaka had to rush this one out because he was working with BW2, XY and was having to get ready for the SUMO arc (he didnt know it was sumo at the time, but he knew the new games were coming soon and he'd get more material). To this day i dont know what the hell went on with zinnia
When you're juggling this many series at once you'd think the answer would probably be "its okay to not start immediately"

BW2 took years into gen 6 to finish didn't it? ...gen 7??

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I've heard things here and there about the scheduling mess that was the BW2 chapter of Adventures. Can I get the lowdown on what exactly happened there for it to only wrap up 7 years after the game its based on released

I've heard things here and there about the scheduling mess that was the BW2 chapter of Adventures. Can I get the lowdown on what exactly happened there for it to only wrap up 7 years after the game its based on released
Pokéspe used to be run in 3 magazines at the same time. For example the RS, Emerald and FRLG arcs were running at those 3 magazines at the same time back in the day
However, around 2012, in the middle of BW2 arc, pokéspe downgraded to two magazines. Soon after, XY came and they lost their second magazine, changing to sunday webry, so Kusaka and Yamamoto had to choose between starting XY and finishing BW2. This is theory, but most belive the pokemon company gave priority to the new arc for the new set of games, and this was the first bw2 hiatus.

They eventually could fit their schedule to continue the BW2 arc, but ORAS launched while XY were in their middle-end, and so they had to give priority to the new games once again. This is the era of them working at BW2, ORAS, SUMO (hasn't released, but was being worked on) and XY at the same time that I mentioned before btw.
XY ended a bit after ORAS. This gave two slots for the SUMO/USUM (considered the same arc) arc, and also to finally continue bw2

The second hiatus happened in the middle of USUM arc, around april 2018. Some say this was the time where Kusaka and Yamamoto were starting the early drafts to the SWSH arc, but no one knows. BW2 picked up back for the last time in april of last year, and was finally finished in april of this year, where we already had 6 volumes of the SWSH arc.

edit: man, now this makes me want to have a thread to discuss about the manga. i love talking about them lol

Last edited:
Recently I've grown to appreciate how good the introduction to Zacian/Zamazenta is in SWSH. You don't get some brief hint about it right before the end game, you just straight up encounter it in a mysterious fog and find out that none of your pokemon's attacks can connect with it.
Imo demonstrating how out of your league a legendary is through an unwinnable battle is pretty fresh and new for pokemon and I appreciate little stuff like that

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It'll never not be amazing how Pokemon as a franchise has made nearly 25 years of designs and all of them feel completely consistent, a Gen 8 mon feeling no less like a Pokemon than one of the original 151 despite the massive timegap and the big differences in design/art direction that entails
Hmm... is it that OR is it that they're able to adapt their old designs to match the modern day style? (Or I guess it could be a combination of both, Ken Sugimori likely laid out the ground work of what Pokemon design should and shouldn't be and nay changes done are also applied to older Pokemon to keep everything consistent)

Hmm... is it that OR is it that they're able to adapt their old designs to match the modern day style? (Or I guess it could be a combination of both, Ken Sugimori likely laid out the ground work of what Pokemon design should and shouldn't be and nay changes done are also applied to older Pokemon to keep everything consistent)
This implies they keep updating the old designs to match the modern style but they really haven't since gen 3-ish where they finally ironed out what The Look for every Pokemon will be (started in gen 2 but you still had some stragglers by the end of crystal). Gen 6's 3D models are still the same old designs and as we are all well aware of, those have not been updated outside of universal texture work. And sprites got an art style shift from gen 3 to 4 but 4 stuck on through the end of 5, but the designs themselves: still abotu the same (as were poses)

Alola anime & Journeys have to adapt a little but thats a universal change due to the art shift those animes went through.

I was thinking about the time in my CT playthrough when I came across the Frigid sea area while it was raining and how I really liked that I could hear the rain, so I started playing around with Pokemon camp in rainy areas. After finding the music a bit distracting and turning it off and then playing around with various combinations of Pokemon, I made a minor discovery: Spectrier comes equipped with a built-in eerie horror movie sound effect. :psynervous:

I feel like there's a lot of attention to detail in the sound effects in camp (and while Pokemon are following) that we just haven't properly paid attention to and appreciated yet.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)