Little things you like about Pokémon

I guess red is meant to be "pumped up" and blue is meant to be "mellowed out".
Like if something turns red, uh oh, now its Mad and Stronger. But oh, its blue now, that means its much weaker and tired. Its why no one thinks its weird when you raise a stat you usually get some red effects (depending on the game, not just pokemon).

I think the issue is just when its applied to text, you see red as a demerit. You got this wrong on the test, that kind of thing.

Color theory: weird

I agree with RN, its probably the way we see the colors in the two contexts (a fight vs text). While blue being good stat and red being bad stat would make sense in the stat screen, it'd be a bit weird to have the stat raising animation be blue and the lowering be red, considering red is seen as powering up.

I dont know what other color combos could work without also fucking up color blind people though

I agree with RN, its probably the way we see the colors in the two contexts (a fight vs text). While blue being good stat and red being bad stat would make sense in the stat screen, it'd be a bit weird to have the stat raising animation be blue and the lowering be red, considering red is seen as powering up.

I dont know what other color combos could work without also fucking up color blind people though
Probably something like Gold and Gray, or something like that.
Also ideally you'd have a color blind mode for important things like this anyway, but Pokemon's hardly the only one without accessibility issues.

Or just have a little + and - next to the stats...

Which is pretty funny considering large majority of this forum was complaining that it's a feature that should never have happened because it makes the game too easy :) :) :) :) :) :)
I mean, it does make sense. Back then, people thought you could heal via PC and use it in say, Gyms and the E4 gauntlet.

If that was the case, it'd surely be yet another game-breaker.

I really like how it was implemented tho. Definitely mainstay material, but GF... Still hoping for the best.

Imagine Sinnoh Remakes without "Saving a lot of data..." whenever you need to get the old Bibarel out of the box. :psywoke:

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I mean, it does make sense. Back then, people thought you could heal via PC and use it in say, Gyms and the E4 gauntlet.

If that was the case, it'd surely be yet another game-breaker.
I remember once sort of doing this on Black when I traded my entire team mid-E4. You'd think they could make that feature inaccessible once you entered the Pokemon League, it's quite the oversight otherwise.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/kd9bg6
Had to take the initiative to post this. I was playing Y recently and I couldn't help but notice the little movements and gestures the Pokemon make during battle while they're idle. Like you can see Gogoat shaking its head and you can also see Goodra playfully frolicking which is reflective of its friendly and playful nature. I know people criticize X and Y's models, but honestly when you look past the default poses they have the models still have idle animations in battle and in this way you can see they're plenty vibrant in their own right. I'm sure other Pokemon have their own little idle animations you can see in battle but this was pretty neat to look at. The 3D models are more vibrant than people really give them credit for imo, it's just that everyone looks at the default poses and those are what's shown online and in PS!.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/kd9bg6
Had to take the initiative to post this. I was playing Y recently and I couldn't help but notice the little movements and gestures the Pokemon make during battle while they're idle. Like you can see Gogoat shaking its head and you can also see Goodra playfully frolicking which is reflective of its friendly and playful nature. I know people criticize X and Y's models, but honestly when you look past the default poses they have the models still have idle animations in battle and in this way you can see they're plenty vibrant in their own right. I'm sure other Pokemon have their own little idle animations you can see in battle but this was pretty neat to look at. The 3D models are more vibrant than people really give them credit for imo, it's just that everyone looks at the default poses and those are what's shown online and in PS!.
FINALLY!!!! FINALLY someone actually praises the 3d models where they shine, the idle animations. My favorites are Weavile looking at its claws and Scizor pinching the air

FINALLY!!!! FINALLY someone actually praises the 3d models where they shine, the idle animations.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Arguably the biggest problem with the 3D animations is that they're mostly standing there in almost a T-Pose for most of the time, but sure, I'll let you cook. :mehowth:

Didn't know they had the little idle fidgets like the 3D spinoffs/Orre games tho, but they kinda take too long to do them. I honestly wouldn't have ever seen them if it weren't for this post because seriously, why would I be looking at the idle screens for an extended period of time? Good stuff tho.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Arguably the biggest problem with the 3D animations is that they're mostly standing there in almost a T-Pose for most of the time, but sure, I'll let you cook. :mehowth:

Didn't know they had the little idle fidgets like the 3D spinoffs/Orre games tho, but they kinda take too long to do them. I honestly wouldn't have ever seen them if it weren't for this post because seriously, why would I be looking at the idle screens for an extended period of time? Good stuff tho.
Only like five flying mons are t-posing. The rest are standing in an idle stance. Because you know, it's an idle stance.

Only like five flying mons are t-posing. The rest are standing in an idle stance. Because you know, it's an idle stance.
There's a difference between standing idle like you're waiting in line at the market bored out of your mind and assuming any kind of fighting stance, which is what most of these mons should be doing if they're battling.

But I'll refrain from going into examples here because this is the "little things you like" thread. :mehowth:

Also, almost T-Posing. Not literally T-Posing. Though it's hilariously sad that some mons can be considered as if they're T-Posing.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
FINALLY!!!! FINALLY someone actually praises the 3d models where they shine, the idle animations. My favorites are Weavile looking at its claws and Scizor pinching the air
No, I've seen people praise the animations for the new Pokemon being top notch both in-battle and in Refresh/Amie/Camp.

The problem are with the older Pokemon which they stuck in boring default poses and don't really have idle animations. And yes, they probably gave a batch of older mons some notable idle animations, but that doesn't change the majority are only ever standing around and not even in a battle pose, especially notable with quadrupeds whom many should be in a pouncing/crouching/getting ready to charge pose:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Someone put N's Room theme in a major key,

and it sounds lovely, like it found it's natural harmonyia gropius.
Eh... not really. At parts it sounds sweet & innocent, but there is still plenty of parts where you can tell the keys are off and still give that unsettling child vibes. If I were to put what I'm imagining into words with each one:
  • Original version is how its presented in the game, you walk into this playroom of a young adult who has been emotionally manipulated and stunted. His playroom looks like something a kid younger than 10 would think is cool and be playing around in. But N is late teen/young adult, he is king of hundreds if not thousands of loyal followers, he takes command of a Legendary Pokemon and uses it to become Champion so that he can force his extreme beliefs on everyone else. He should be beyond all this stuff, yet when you interact with the toys they mention that they've recently been played with; sometime right before he humiliating Alder and took the Champion title, he was playing with an oversized trainset, throwing some hoops, and doing some skate tricks on a mini half-pipe...

• This version you walk in on N while he is playing with his toys. He acts like everything is normal, excitingly telling you about the model trains he has & shows you some of his trick shots and skating tricks. It all seems so innocent, but when he's not moving all around and is standing still you're always reminded he's a late teen/young adult, and your eyes can't help but notice the bright colors, bigger size & simplistic design of the toys, and even how low the hoop is and small size of the half-pipe. N makes it feel innocent, but the back of your mind is telling you this is off, that N and this room do not go together...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I love the novelty (sometimes life sized) sized pokemon plush for big, round pokemon and the upcoming $90 appletun plush
Was anyone else shocked when they learned Flapple & Appletun were only a foot tall? Like, yeah, now that I think about it it makes sense since they grew from an apple and still use parts of the apple (more Flapple than Appletun), but still I originally envisioned Flapple to be like a size of an eagle (though have a long length like a snake) while Appletun I imagined being as tall as the trainer. But no, you can easily fit each in the palms of your hand.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
This is what happens when all you desire is to be as close of nature as possible but your friend says "hey, you should try out that new Colosseum thing!".
On another note, Breloom is the odd one out, since it's based on fungal life rather than animal life (animals that are usually bred, at that). It's not like they would run of out candidates in Gen I-III, so I wonder why?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 2)