Local Doubles Tournament [Warstory]

(...sorta?)

This was a local Pokemon Platinum tournament that took place on 8/23/09 at Da Planet in Honolulu, HI.
I'd been at home for a few months working really hard on college, going to medical appointments (and recovering from them), and doing a lot of other projects so this was a good chance for me to actually have some fun.
Since I spend a lot of time at home, it was easy for me to RNG a few flawless and/or shiny Pokemon for the tournament :)
Check them out on my tradelist! You know you want that flawless shiny Garchomp ;)

Only 4 people showed up, so it was a 3 round tournament. :/

Rules:
-6 Pokemon per team.
-4 Pokemon will be used each round.
-Battles will be conducted using the Doubles (2v2) format.
-No Pokemon may be of the same species.
-No Pokemon may hold the same Item.
-Level 50 required.

My Team:

Jet Black the Shiny Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Nature: Jolly (+Speed, -Sp. Attack)
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
Moveset:
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide
~Dragon Claw
~Protect

Spike Spiegel the Zapdos @ Chesto Berry
Nature: Modest (+Sp. Attack/-Attack)
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp. Attack/252 Speed
Moveset:
~Discharge
~Heat Wave
~Thunderbolt
~Detect

Ein the Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Nature: Adamant (+Attack, -Sp. Attack)
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/252 Attack/6 Def
Moveset:
~Meteor Mash
~Bullet Punch
~Earthquake
~Protect

Vicious the Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid (-Attack, +Speed)
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Sp. Attack/252 Speed
Moveset:
~Blizzard
~Energy Ball
~Shadow Ball
~Hidden Power Ground

Edward
the Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Moveset:
~Shadow Ball
~Thunderbolt
~Destiny Bond
~Trick Room

XD008 the Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Moveset:
~Heat Wave
~Earth Power
~Dragon Pulse
~Explosion

Since I'm not really a Doubles battler, I basically looked around at winning teams on these here forums and chose one that looked good.
I liked this one (used by Zerowing) a lot so I copied it, except that I put Dragon Claw on Garchomp rather than Crunch. I figured that Crunch was mainly used as a Super Effective attack against Dusknoir, but since most Smeargle use Follow Me, I went for Dragon Claw, which is better against the Latias (due to STAB) and neutral targets (like Hippowdon) while Ghost and Psychic-type Pokemon already take 150 from EQ while Crunch is only 160. Besides, Ghosts and Psychic types hate Discharge and Bullet Punch, so overall, I felt that Dragon Claw would serve me better.

My subs for this tournament were Gengar and Heatran.

Gengar's purpose is deal with Latis that threaten Garchomp, thunderbolt waters like Lapras and Vaporeon, absorb Explosions, and has good synergy with Earthquake. It also Trick Rooms to that when Dusknoir Trick Rooms, the twisted dimensions are canceled.
Heatran was just filler, basically. :(

The names are Cowboy Bebop references, (Yeah...The day I name my Gengar after a Twilight character is the day I chop my own penis off and start wearing lipstick) but I won't use their nicknames in the "log" to avoid confusing my readers.

Heatran was traded to me by MattJ (<3) so I couldn't nickname it...if it was from my Platinum game, I would have named it Faye Valentine since Heatran kinda matches her perfectly :)

Also, this warstory is ALL off the top of my head, including the "log", so if things are in the improper order, aren't worded properly, or if moves/actions are wrong, I apologize in advance.

So I show up early with my little brother Maika in tow. I decided that we should spend some time together before I go off to college so we went to lunch before the tournament and I gave him the remaining time on my account so that he could use the internet. In exchange he was going to scout for me. Unfortunately, the tournament started really late while we waited for people to show up, so Maika ran off to play Halo and was nowhere to be found throughout the whole tournament, LOL >.>

One more thing, I'm Akira.
One more thing, enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1: (Kenton)

---
Akira sent out Zapdos and Garchomp! (Garchomp sparkles majestically. :P)
Kenton sent out Heatran and Yanmega!
Zapdos is exerting its Pressure.
---

=VS=

--100%-------100%-------------100%------100%

Well, I've never seen a team like this before in my extremely limited experience in double battles but I know enough about these Pokemon when they are used separately to predict two scenarios:
1) Protect+Explosion.
2) He predicts my double Protect and sets up a Substitute+Nasty Plot or something ridiculous like that.

I decide that the first case is the most likely, but I don't want to predict wrong and give him a chance to set up. I figure it's better to be 3-3 than 4-4 and forced to deal with a Sub and Speed Boost Nasty Plot.

My Garchomp uses Protect while Zapdos uses Discharge to break the sub and wreck Yanmega if Scenario 2 turns out to be the one Kenton chooses.

Here goes nothing:

---
Yanmega used Protect!
Garchomp used Protect!
Heatran used Explosion!
Yanmega protected itself!
Garchomp protected itself!
Zapdos lost 100% of its health.
Zapdos fainted!
Yanmega's Speed Boost raised its SPEED!
---

=VS=
(+1 Speed)
--0%---------100%--------------0%-------100%

So, my guess was right, his plan was to use a Choice Scarf Heatran's Explosion to make the battle 3 on 2 in his favor with a ridiculously fast Yanmega to put him at even more of an advantage. A cool strategy, but my prediction, while imperfect, meant that I'm only at -1 rather than -2.

Now I send out Abomasnow to kill off his Yanmega. I'm thinking he'll attack Chomp instead, expecting a Protect, so that even though it's faster than a Scarfed Abomasnow, I'll get the kill.

---
Akira sent out Abomasnow!
Kenton sent out Latios!
Abomasnow's Snow Warning whipped up a hailstorm!
---

=VS=
(+1 Speed)
---100% -----100%--------------100%-----100%

Right on. I can hit his Latios and Yanmega with Blizzard. Garchomp will Protect just in case he predicts a Scarf Abomasnow and uses Bug Buzz. Protect only has 50% to work, but if Abomasnow's Blizzard succeeds, Garchomp won't have needed to attack to KO both of his Pokemon, while if it gets killed, my Garchomp can't survive the faster Latios's Ice Beam anyway.

---
Garchomp used Protect!
But it failed!
Yanmega used Bug Buzz!
Garchomp lost ~50% of its health.
Latios used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
Abomasnow lost ~100% of its health.
Garchomp was hurt by the Hail!
Latios was hurt by the Hail!
Yanmega was hurt by the Hail!
Yanmega's Speed Boost raised its SPEED!
---

=VS=
(+2 Speed)
----0%--------46%--------------94%------94%

I predicted correctly - He didn't attack Abomasnow, but not because he was predicting Protect, but because his Latios is SCARFED. -___-
Abomasnow, return! You deserve a good...Wait, **** that, you didn't do anything so you don't deserve **** <.<

--
Akira sent out Metagross!
---

=VS=
(+2 Speed)
----100%------46%--------- ----94%-------94%

So yeah I'm kinda ****ed now.
It's basically 1.5 versus 3 and another Bug Buzz will kill my Garchomp, while Hidden Power Fire is super effective against Metagross. The best I can do is Bullet Punch Latias and Protect AGAIN for a 25% chance, because my Garchomp can't outspeed either opponent. Looks like being shiny and flawless doesn't mean **** against a good opponent :|

---
Garchomp used Protect!
But it failed!
Metagross used Bullet Punch!
Latias lost ~60% of its health.
Yanmega used Bugg Buzz!
Garchomp lost 50% of its health.
Garchomp fainted!
Latias used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
It's a critical cit!
Metagross lost 100% of its Health.
Metagross fainted!
Kenton wins!
---
=VS=
(+2 Speed)
----0%---------0%--------- ----94%-------94%

WTF?WTF?WTF?WTF?WTF?
:[
I lose x____________x

Post-game Reflections
1) I don't regret my decision in the first turn. I feel that the "set up" turn in anticipation of a double protect isn't far-fetched. Obviously it would have been better this time around to double protect, but what if he HAD used Sub+Nasty Plot or something? >.>

2) I should have switched Metagross in after Zapdos fainted. Bullet Punch would have been more helpful. Besides, what was I thinking sending out Abomasnow against Yanmega? He could have easily predicted Scarf and OHKOd it.

3) Rather than risking the second protect, I should have used Dragon Claw on Latios hoping to be faster rather than relying on 50% to succeed.

4) I checked my Abomasnow after the tournament out of curiosity, because when I said "Oh, it's Scarfed?" when his Latios outsped my Abomasnow, he gave me a confused look. Turns out...it had a NvrMeltIce attached.

WHAT? I WASNT USING MY SCARFSNOW?

fml...

Turns out I evidently had an Abomasnow in the same box that I stored my ScarfSnow in when I withdrew a Flyer to go battle tower and practice the night before...and withdrew the wrong Abomasnow >.>

Oh well, we're not playing for prizes :)

Round 2: vs Alex

---
Akira sent out Zapdos and Garchomp!
Alex sent out Weavile and Banette!
Banette frisked Garchomp and found a Lum Berry!
Weavile is exerting its Pressure.
Zapdos is exerting its Pressure.
---

=VS=

--100%-------100%-------------100%------100%

Lolwhat? Banette? Probably Scarf+Trick or something. I'm not sure what it's got planned, but a Weavile's STAB Ice Attacks are scary so I'll Discharge with Zapdos, which should hurt these fragile Pokemon and hopefully Paralyze them, and Protect with Garchomp to avoid Ice Shard or Ice Punch.

---
Alex withdrew Weavile!
Alex sent out Empoleon!
Garchomp used Protect!
Banette used Sucker Punch!
But it failed!
Zapdos used Discharge!
Empoleon lost 60% of its health.
Banette lost 70% of its health.
Banette was Paralyzed! It may be unable to move!
---

=VS=

--100%-------100%-------------40%---------30%

Lol, awesome. This battle is starting out nicely. He withdrew his Weavile probably expecting a protect/heatwave and ended up with two wounded Pokemon. Zapdos outspeeds Empoleon and probably Banette (assuming it didn't Sucker Punch while holding a Scarf, but even then, SP isn't a KO against my Zapdos) so I attack again.

---
Garchomp used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
Empoleon lost 40% of its health.
Empoleon fainted!
Banette lost 30% of its health.
Banette fainted!
---

=VS=

--100%-------100%--------------0%----------0%

Going good, no Aqua Jet/Sucker Punch this turn? :S Weird. Maybe he isn't a competitive player and that banette is just a stupid banette and not some pro tech >.>

---
Alex sent out Weavile and Electivire!
Weavile is exerting its Pressure.
---

=VS=

--100%-------100%-------------100%-------100%

Okay, I can't Discharge, because he's got Electivire out, and I don't care if I lose Garchomp, PLUS he might predict a Protect anyway.

---
Weavile used Ice Shard!
It's super effective!
Zapdos lost 20% of its health.
Zapdos used Heat Wave!
It's super effective!
Weavile lost 100% of its health.
Weavile fainted!
Electivire lost 60% of its health.
Garchomp used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
Electire lost 40% of its health.
Electivire fainted!
Akira wins!
---

=VS=

--100%-------100%-------------0%---------0%------

Post-Game Reflection
Well, this wasn't much of a game >.>
I guess it kinda reminded me that some Pokemon can have unexpected moves (What if Banette HAD been a TrickScarfer?) and what if he'd switched into Electivire rather than Empoleon, predicting a Discharge+Protect? Then, Electivire could have outsped my Garchomp and OHKOd it with Ice Punch while Zapdos would fail to OHKO with Heat Wave. Maybe I should be more careful about attacking with Zapdos!

Round 3: Vs Jarredd

Battle Video Number: 46-42997-19984

Wow, I'm glad I recorded this, I've been working on this warstory for like 2 hours -_____-

So yeah, watch this to find out the conclusion, and don't read the Post-Game Reflections until after you've seen it!

Post-Game Reflections:
Turn one, I should have switched to Gross instead of protecting.
I was hoping to paralyze Latios with Discharge, but for like the sixth time that day it failed to paralyze.

Other than that, there wasn't much else I could do. He countered me pretty much perfectly :( Oh well. Weather or not he scouted me, I lost. All that I can do is move on and try to play better next time!

So, I went 1-2 for the day. Not very good. But hey, there WERE prizes!

...Leftover Pokemon cards >__>

---
Akira used Tear Open!
It's Super Effective!
POP Pack lost 100% of its health.
Akira gained promo Croagunk, promo Turtwig, and water energy!
Akira grew to A New Level Of Disappointment!
(+5 apathy, +5 jaded-ness, +5 reconsider playing this stupid game)

Props:
-Prizes? ORLY?
-MattJ for his help with my team and Heatran! Even though I never subbed...
-Cowboy bebop <3
-ZEROWING of course for making this team! It's AWESOME in battle tower doubles (got me to 105 streak) but unfortunately I didn't do it much justice in the tournament, going 1-2 :(

Slops:
Maika for ditching me to play Halo <.<
Random box Abomasnow costing me round 1.
Jarredd using lead Latios and choice typhlosion for some ****ing reason :P

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed it at least 80x as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Yeah, not a very good warstory. You entered the wrong pokemon in one battle and decided to not say anything about another. A warstory is about sharing what you were thinking during a good match rather than telling us to watch something.

Also;

Heatran the Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
Moveset:
~Blizzard
~Energy Ball
~Shadow Ball
~Hidden Power Ground

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Akira used Tear Open!
It's Super Effective!
POP Pack lost 100% of its health.
Akira gained promo Croagunk, promo Turtwig, and water energy!
Akira grew to A New Level Of Disappointment!
(+5 apathy, +5 jaded-ness, +5 reconsider playing this stupid game)
You just made my day with that quote! :D

I'm glad it turned out decent for you. At least you weren't skunked! Great games overall and as you play more you'll be able to predict better. Great Job Man!

Oh and yeah, you accidentally pasted Abomanasnow's EVs and movesets on my *cough, er, ahem, YOUR ;D* Heatran! XD

I don't have Platinum, so I won't comment on the warstory.

Alex withdrew Weavile!
Alex sent out Empoleon!
Garchomp used Protect!
Weavile used Sucker Punch!
But it failed!
Zapdos used Discharge!
Should be Banette used Sucker Punch.

i personally love double warstorys but there were quite a few mistakes and the commetary is "meh"

5/10 its a medicore warstory overall....

Oh, brain fart. Definitely should be Banette used Sucker Punch.
And sry if it sucks? Doubles battles are short and I thought the video would be fun to watch. I don't really care enough to do the tags and images for the final battle so delete this or whatever. -_-

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Oh, brain fart. Definitely should be Banette used Sucker Punch.
And sry if it sucks? Doubles battles are short and I thought the video would be fun to watch. I don't really care enough to do the tags and images for the final battle so delete this or whatever. -_-
Nah, forget toaster. You said you were sorta new to doubles, so the events of this warstory fit your experience. Forgot to rate so here goes 8/10. Great job. Good details. Made some mistakes, but that's real life. I must say though, that battle video was REEEEEEEALLY depressing cuz I was all like "Yay! Battle Viedeo! I get to watch him cream some guy!" And then I was like...oh...dang... :(

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The best I can do is Bullet Punch Latias and Protect AGAIN for a 25% chance, because my Garchomp can't outspeed either opponent.
Protect's fail chance resets when it fails once. So it would be a 100% chance. Mediocre warstory TBH.

Also, this part confused me:

So Alex withdrew Weavile for Empoleon, yet later that turn Weavile attacked Garchomp? Unless Banette has double names, since at the end it says "BANETTE" was paralyzed.

---
Alex withdrew Weavile!
Alex sent out Empoleon!
Garchomp used Protect!
But it failed!
Zapdos used Discharge!
EDIT: Sorry for the double post just needed the quote :O

Alex withdrew Weavile!
Alex sent out Empoleon!
Garchomp used Protect!
But it failed!

I assume you mean banette used sucker punch? You better change that.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Jesus Christ, people... he knows about the Banette thing.
Hey mendokuse, did you know about the problem with your warstory about the bannete? Oh, really. K. Just thought I'd mention it again. Alright. Good. See ya.

XD

I liked the first warstory. You did a good job explaining why you did what you did. It didn't work out, but that happens to everyone.

What really stood out to me was the formatting you did. Good job on your comments though they were a bit on the skimpy side. then again, there really isn't too much you can say in VGC style fights because to think about all the plausible strategies someone's running would be like, a wall of text.

In the first battle:
Garchomp used Protect!
But it failed!
Metagross used Bullet Punch!
Latias lost ~60% of its health.
Yanmega used Bug Buzz!
Garchomp lost 50% of its health.
Garchomp fainted!
Latias used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
It's a critical cit!
Metagross lost 100% of its Health.
Metagross fainted!
Kenton wins!
You might want to change that to Latios. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)