Other Looking Ahead to Gen VI Mark II (SEE POSTS #818 & #858)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about mega Charizard? He'd probably b the new ninetales
That's not too likely, in my eyes. Mega Evolution doesn't activate on the switch in, so neither would Drought. Since Ninetales can often be switched in to change the weather AND survive some water attacks because of Drought activating right away, Zard is at a disadvantage there. On top of that, Charizard still takes 50% from Stealth Rocks, which allows damage to build up against it much faster than on Ninetales, and since Mega Charizard can't run another item (like leftovers), it can't heal the damage effectively either. In summary, I'm not saying Mega Charizard would be particularly bad as a sun setter, but compared to OU's existing one, it will most likely be outclassed.

That's not too likely, in my eyes. Mega Evolution doesn't activate on the switch in, so neither would Drought. Since Ninetales can often be switched in to change the weather AND survive some water attacks because of Drought activating right away, Zard is at a disadvantage there. On top of that, Charizard still takes 50% from Stealth Rocks, which allows damage to build up against it much faster than on Ninetales, and since Mega Charizard can't run another item (like leftovers), it can't heal the damage effectively either. In summary, I'm not saying Mega Charizard would be particularly bad as a sun setter, but compared to OU's existing one, it will most likely be outclassed.
yea guess so

It doesn't have access to egg moves............ at the moment speed boost + baton pass are illegal on torchic + evos
Yea, but as long as at least 1 event Torchic is female, we will have Baton Pass+Speed Boost. They might end up all male again idk, but I hope not.

Edit: Gary I do understand that, but Torchic(Little Cup), Combusken(UU?) and Blaziken(say you want to use it on a sun team and give the megastone to Charizard instead) would be better (NOT talking about MegaKen) with Baton Pass Speed Boost.

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, but as long as at least 1 event Torchic is female, we will have Baton Pass+Speed Boost. They might end up all male again idk, but I hope not.
It doesn't have access to egg moves............ at the moment speed boost + baton pass are illegal on torchic + evos
What you guys don't understand is that no matter what, Mega Blakizen will be able to get Speed Boost + Baton Pass. Why? Simple. You start off with a Blaze Blaziken that knows Baton Pass, you set up an SD, Mega Evolve, BOOM, then you have Speed Boost. So yeah, Mega Blaziken will be amazing. It may be not end being as powerful as standard Blaziken with Life Orb, but the ability to Baton Pass a boost to something like Gyarados, Kyurem-B, Dragonite, Lucario, etc. will be absolutely amazing. On top of that, it could sweep itself if it wanted to. Standard Speed Boost Blaziken would be used primarily to sweep on its own, while Mega Blaziken could also punch holes in teams before Baton Passing +2 Speed and +2 Attack to its teammates to against Jellicent or something. Damn.

If you lead with Charizard over Ninetales though, would you not beat any weather inducer your opponent sends out, and avoid Rocks?

Let's say your opponent sends out TTar and you send out Charizard. Sandstorm is instantly activated by TTar. Then, on the first turn, Sandstorm is removed when you Mega-evolve, plus you get to attack.

I mean, ignoring that fact that both TTar and Politoed will probably kill Charizard (I know that's a lot to ignore) from the perspective of setting weather, are you not better off in this situation being the person who sets weather 2nd?

Sorry, I don't battle competitively much at all, I've just been reading a lot about X&Y and have found this thread interesting.

^^I was just gonna say that. If you use it as a lead, you'll get your weather up. In a hypothetical scenario, imagine you send out Charizard and your opponent sends out Politoed/Tyranitar/Hippo. First turn you'll just Protect as they do whatever they want, and you'll have sun up. This has three downsides, however- One, you'll probably give Tyranitar/Hippo the chance to set up SR as you don't want to overpredict and lose your weather setter early on. Two, Rain Dance Politoed and Sandstorm Tyranitar/Hippo might be usable sets (just like Sunny Day Ninetales) that shit all over this strategy if MegaCharizard's stats are good enough to warrant use over Ninetales. Three, MegaCharizard's moveset will probably be confined to two attacking moves only, as you definitely need Roost/Protect.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
^ Or you could just Attack and OHKO (or almost OHKO) all of them, as MegaCharizard is faster and Solarbeam / Fire Blast / Focus Blast hit all three of them for huge damage. We already know that MegaCharizard will get a SpA boost, so let's assume it gets a 20 SpA boost and goes to 129 SpA and uses a Modest nature:

- 252+ SpA Charizard Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar: 412-488 (101.98 - 120.79%) -- guaranteed OHKO
- 252+ SpA Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon in sun: 420-495 (100 - 117.85%) -- guaranteed OHKO
- 252+ SpA Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon in sun: 283-334 (67.38 - 79.52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
- 252+ SpA Charizard SolarBeam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Politoed: 286-338 (74.47 - 88.02%) -- -- guaranteed 2HKO

Of 'course the opponent can just switch out and deal with Charizard after it MEvos, making sure that when his Ttar / Toed / Hippo face Charizard agan, it won't be able to change the weather before attacking.

Oops, sorry about that then. So attacking right away is better as the only weather starters you lose to are SpDef Hippo with Stone Edge and ScarfTar (unless Charizard gets 174+ SpA or 117+ Speed respectively).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Just a question, does Mega Evolution seem to have any priority, or will it always activate alongside the attack?

Say for instance, that Charizard and a faster (yeah, I know...) Politoed is sent out. Charizards Mega Evolves and uses Solar Beam, Politoed uses Hydro pump. What is the outcome?

Scenario 1:
  • Charizard Mega Evolves, Drought activates and repels the Rain Politoed brought to the field. However, Charizard doesn't get to attack until later in the turn.
  • Politoed outspeeds Charizard, fires off a Sun-weakened Hydro Pump that Charizard survives.
  • Charizard uses SolarBeam, KOing Politoed.

Scenario 2:
  • Politoed outspeeds Charizard, KOs it flatly with Rain-boosted Hydro Pump before it can Mega Evolve and change the weather.
The first scenario would mean Charizard has an easier time switching in, but maybe a harder time winning a weather war. If Politoed had used Rain Dance, the strategy would fail.

The second would mean Charizard would ensure it had Sun up while attacking, as long as it survives the initial hit. If it had been able to hang on with 1 HP remaining, using some alleged new Pokémon Amie feature, it would Mega Evolve, activate Drought, and send Politoed to kingdom come with a SolarBeam. Sun would affect its attack, come Rain Dance, Sandstorm or Hail. However, unless it outspeeds its enemy, it would have to eat a hit boosted by the current weather, which it might not be able to survive very well.

Or, what would happen if the opponent was something else than Politoed, but switched into Politoed after Charizard chose to Mega Evolve? Would the Mega Evolution occur before the switch, thus giving Politoed the opportunity to change the weather back to Rain immediately after? Or would the switch occur first, Drizzle activate, then Mega Evolution would take place and Drought change the weather again just seconds after it got up?

Either way, both options open up for some interesting strategies. I can't wait to see what other fun things we can expect.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Megas have priority how much is yet to be seen though, afterwards normal speed based moves happen.

As far as speed passing i think this will be a great strategy and most likely auto ban.
You mean Speed Boost and Baton Pass? That's been around since Gen III with Ninjask, so I don't see why that would be auto-banned. Obviously Blaziken and probably Combusken would be better at it than Ninjask though.

You mean Speed Boost and Baton Pass? That's been around since Gen III with Ninjask, so I don't see why that would be auto-banned. Obviously Blaziken and probably Combusken would be better at it than Ninjask though.
Yea lol Ninjask has sucky STABs, 4xSR weakness and bad bulk+attack in exchange for that unnecessarily high speed. Blaziken speedpassing is on a whole different level by far.

Edit: Speed passing was a thing in gen 2 with Agility btw

I just want to say, I think we'll do megas like we do formes. I think, for example, that we can have a mega blaziken whenever we want, as long as it holds blazikenite. This is just like how we can have a arceus-water, for example, as long as it holds splash plate, or a girantina-o, as long as it holds griseous orb.

In terms of weather leads, Zard can set up Sun on Turn 1 even when leading against Hippowdon, which Tales can't do.

Mega garchomp has been announced.
Wonder which stats will be enhanced.
Either attack or speed would be good.
And I'm hoping garchomp would get dragon dance (of sorts) in 6.

In terms of weather leads, Zard can set up Sun on Turn 1 even when leading against Hippowdon, which Tales can't do.
Which (assuming Mega evolving has the highest priority) means Zard out out weather any of the other weather starters unless they switch in on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)