Lure That Threat [That's All, Folks! (Paused For BSPL)]

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
nah that challenge is too hard for me

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head / Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Fire

Ferro checks Meta all day, so slap on a HP Fire to kill them, and Sub because it's free and avoids Leech Seed. You can run Naive or something but it's not worth losing bulk against everything only to hurt Ferro a little more:

0- SpA Mega Metagross Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 76-92 (41.9 - 50.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs

4 SpA Mega Metagross Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 88-104 (48.6 - 57.4%) -- 40.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not a 'lure' per se, but an interesting anti-Ferro/Kartana tech for stall. It doesn't quickly enfeeble a common check or counter, rather peforms over a longer period. It could be seen as a lure at team preview in some regard, though I'm aware that's not how we're using the term here. Whether it counts or not, it's an interesting set I've been using for quite a while now and thought it'd be worth posting.
Leech Seed + SR can be pretty annoying for some stall varients when Ferro has the right partners to take advantage of the team being worn down and forced to switch around.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 236 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Iron Defense
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

So the Ferro-Skarm matchup would normally start with Skarm taunting the Ferro. After which the Ferro is fairly free to throw out Bullet Seeds with little to no worry. For the Skarm to win the exchange it would have to stall out 48pp worth of Bullet Seeds, which would mostly be Iron Defense and Taunt PP in exchange (have to keep an eye on the timer too). As Drill Peck makes contact it's not a strong option for Skarm here as the Iron Barbs damage would quickly build up and start depleteing Roost PP. This is where HP Fire allows you too wear down the Ferro efficiently. Eventually leaving it in an uncomfortably low amount of HP to perhaps be picked off by a Gliscor EQ, Chansey SToss etc.
Of course this doesn't often play out as Skarm and Ferro stubbornly facing each other down refusing to switch. More often it's many short skirmishes as parts of the longer battle.
It also KOs 4/0 Kartana after Helmet damage which is where the main appeal is, but I've used it this way numerous times before as well.

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Toxic
- Hammer Arm

Why run HP Fire, which only hits Ferro and the somewhat rare Scizor when you can run Hammer Arm and still hit Heatran while also getting Porygon2?

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 98-116 (54.1 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Toxic
- Hammer Arm

Why run HP Fire, which only hits Ferro and the somewhat rare Scizor when you can run Hammer Arm and still hit Heatran while also getting Porygon2?

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 98-116 (54.1 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
#6 Hammer Arm 28.59072533156435%

:psysad:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon

Here's one for the sadists who like to play with their food :c Come in on Ferro, trap it, sub on the Leech Seed and start to boost. Even CB Ferrothorn can't break the Substitute with anything other than the rare Bulldoze so you'll win the 1v1 in most situations, and ideally, you'll be at a ridiculous Special Attack stat with a sub. HP [Ice] allows Zone to lure Gliscor and Landorus-T with Substitute but sure you can run HP [Fire] if you really want to, I'm just going for the challenge on this one :] Protect is also possible over Flash Cannon if you really wanna be a dick.

252+ Atk Choice Band Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Magnezone: 45-53 (25.5 - 30.1%) just dodge fam
252+ Atk Choice Band Ferrothorn Knock Off vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Magnezone: 33-39 (18.7 - 22.1%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Ferrothorn Bullet Seed (4 hits) vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Magnezone: 36-48 (20.4 - 27.2%)

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Mimikyu @ Fightinium Z
Adamant Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Claw / Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

+2 252+ Atk Mimikyu All-Out Pummeling (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 164-194 (90.6 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

The mon that Ferrothorn beats the most of is Mimikyu, so why not use one that beats it? +2 AoP into Sneak is a guaranteed OHKO, and sometimes you won't even need the Sneak. Also hits Tran and Kartana who usually think they're safe hard.

All out pummeling Tapu lele

Set

Tapu Lele @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
Focus blast for kartana ttar and Ferrothorn [obviously] and all out pummeling okos all three
Psychic and moonblast for stab
Thunderbolt for varied coverage
Calcs

252+ SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 398-470 (113 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
All out pummeling Gardevoir

Set
Gardevoir @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
Focus blast to get rid of kartana ttar and of course Ferrothorn and with the all out pummeling okoing Ferrothorn
psychic and moonblast for stab
And Thunderbolt for some good coverage
and I did the challenge so I get some Style points lol

Calcs

252 SpA Gardevoir All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 354-418 (100.5 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Edit Focus blast is number 5 on the usage stats but fightiniuim z is less than 1% used if this is a problem I can find something else
Hi! Although the concept itself is alright, base form Gardevoir isn't very viable, if viable at all. I would highly suggest replacing Gardevoir with Tapu Lele, who does almost everything, if not everything this Gardevoir set does, but better.

Hi! Although the concept itself is alright, base form Gardevoir isn't very viable, if viable at all. I would highly suggest replacing Gardevoir with Tapu Lele, who does almost everything, if not everything this Gardevoir set does, but better.
I was going to do that but I didn't want to look like I was copying you're set from the last round but if it's okay I will change it

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon

Here's one for the sadists who like to play with their food :c Come in on Ferro, trap it, sub on the Leech Seed and start to boost. Even CB Ferrothorn can't break the Substitute with anything other than the rare Bulldoze so you'll win the 1v1 in most situations, and ideally, you'll be at a ridiculous Special Attack stat with a sub. HP [Ice] allows Zone to lure Gliscor and Landorus-T with Substitute but sure you can run HP [Fire] if you really want to, I'm just going for the challenge on this one :] Protect is also possible over Flash Cannon if you really wanna be a dick.

252+ Atk Choice Band Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Magnezone: 45-53 (25.5 - 30.1%) just dodge fam
252+ Atk Choice Band Ferrothorn Knock Off vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Magnezone: 33-39 (18.7 - 22.1%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Ferrothorn Bullet Seed (4 hits) vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Magnezone: 36-48 (20.4 - 27.2%)
After some discussion with cant say, we decided that Magnezone isn't a very good lure to Ferrothorn, as few players would switch their Ferrothorn into Magnezone considering the risk of Magnet Pull and/or HP Fire, and that, really, it's the other way around in this case, the Magnezone user switching into Ferrothorn. However, feel free to make another submission!

Last edited:

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 68 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Smack Down / Gravity
- Swords Dance

Most Landorus nowadays are either Scarf, Sash Lead or defensive, so Sub SD can be a nasty suprise for opposing Ferro who just expect Lando to switch out or to explode.

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 244 HP / 4 Def Landorus-T: 87-103 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- 26.2% chance to 2HKO
-1 0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 244 HP / 4 Def Landorus-T: 58-70 (29.7 - 35.8%) -- 38.6% chance to 3HKO

+2 68+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 108-127 (59.6 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 68+ Atk Landorus-T Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 193-228 (106.6 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

EVs nab the OHKO on the given Ferrothorn set, as well as the 2HKO on PhysDef Celesteela and AV Landorus-T.

On a sidenote, uh, luring Ferrothorn without resorting to a Fire-type move is a lot harder than I thought, lol. Superpower Mega Scizor crossed my mind but I realized Ferrothorn's beaten anyways because Roost heals off Leech Seed and Gyro Ball chip.

All right, submissions are now closed! There are to be no edits of your own Pokemon, nor are there to be any new submissions A few quick things to note;
  • Voting will close on Sunday, where the next Lure That Threat will also be announced.
  • You can't vote for your own submission
  • You can only change your vote once, so think carefully before doing so
  • You can vote even if you haven't made a submission. It is expected that you vote if you did submit yourself, but not compulsory
nah that challenge is too hard for me

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head / Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Substitute
- Hidden Power Fire

Ferro checks Meta all day, so slap on a HP Fire to kill them, and Sub because it's free and avoids Leech Seed. You can run Naive or something but it's not worth losing bulk against everything only to hurt Ferro a little more:

0- SpA Mega Metagross Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 76-92 (41.9 - 50.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

vs

4 SpA Mega Metagross Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 88-104 (48.6 - 57.4%) -- 40.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Not a 'lure' per se, but an interesting anti-Ferro/Kartana tech for stall. It doesn't quickly enfeeble a common check or counter, rather peforms over a longer period. It could be seen as a lure at team preview in some regard, though I'm aware that's not how we're using the term here. Whether it counts or not, it's an interesting set I've been using for quite a while now and thought it'd be worth posting.
Leech Seed + SR can be pretty annoying for some stall varients when Ferro has the right partners to take advantage of the team being worn down and forced to switch around.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 236 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Iron Defense
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

So the Ferro-Skarm matchup would normally start with Skarm taunting the Ferro. After which the Ferro is fairly free to throw out Bullet Seeds with little to no worry. For the Skarm to win the exchange it would have to stall out 48pp worth of Bullet Seeds, which would mostly be Iron Defense and Taunt PP in exchange (have to keep an eye on the timer too). As Drill Peck makes contact it's not a strong option for Skarm here as the Iron Barbs damage would quickly build up and start depleteing Roost PP. This is where HP Fire allows you too wear down the Ferro efficiently. Eventually leaving it in an uncomfortably low amount of HP to perhaps be picked off by a Gliscor EQ, Chansey SToss etc.
Of course this doesn't often play out as Skarm and Ferro stubbornly facing each other down refusing to switch. More often it's many short skirmishes as parts of the longer battle.
It also KOs 4/0 Kartana after Helmet damage which is where the main appeal is, but I've used it this way numerous times before as well.
Mimikyu @ Fightinium Z
Adamant Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Claw / Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

+2 252+ Atk Mimikyu All-Out Pummeling (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 164-194 (90.6 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

The mon that Ferrothorn beats the most of is Mimikyu, so why not use one that beats it? +2 AoP into Sneak is a guaranteed OHKO, and sometimes you won't even need the Sneak. Also hits Tran and Kartana who usually think they're safe hard.
All out pummeling Tapu lele

Set

Tapu Lele @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
Focus blast for kartana ttar and Ferrothorn [obviously] and all out pummeling okos all three
Psychic and moonblast for stab
Thunderbolt for varied coverage
Calcs

252+ SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 398-470 (113 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 68 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Smack Down / Gravity
- Swords Dance

Most Landorus nowadays are either Scarf, Sash Lead or defensive, so Sub SD can be a nasty suprise for opposing Ferro who just expect Lando to switch out or to explode.

0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 244 HP / 4 Def Landorus-T: 87-103 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- 26.2% chance to 2HKO
-1 0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 244 HP / 4 Def Landorus-T: 58-70 (29.7 - 35.8%) -- 38.6% chance to 3HKO

+2 68+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 108-127 (59.6 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 68+ Atk Landorus-T Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 193-228 (106.6 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

EVs nab the OHKO on the given Ferrothorn set, as well as the 2HKO on PhysDef Celesteela and AV Landorus-T.

Voting closes Sunday! I'm voting for Thick Fat Azumarill's SubSD Groundium Z Landorus-T.

Probably Badrat's Fightinium Z Tapu Lele. All other options actually end up hindering the premise of the 'mon itself to a degree, but this set actually has a decent use against good portion of the metagame, seeing people's tendency to use tran to check lele.

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi
Congratulations to Jhon for winning with HP Fire Skarmory! Your submission will be logged into the archive!

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- King's Shield
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball​

You have until Thursday to submit, good luck!​

Last edited:

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 244 HP / 172 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Foul Play
- Recover

SubToxic Aegi is the best P2 counter? Well, not anymore! While you can't Sub if Aegi is already on the field, you can Sub on the switch-in and watch Aegi's despair as it realizes it can't touch P2.

Tapu Lele @ Ghostium Z / Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

lele is normally aegislash food. sub lets you take advantage of stance change & makes beating aegi less reliant on prediction. ghost z can kill aegi after a +1 boost. can also kill a meta with no boosts if you sub on its switch in. life orb can let you 2hko aegi too which pretty much does the same job but its less good vs meta. plus ghost z is a better meme.

Darkinium

the mighty nuaguunibi

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed / Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance / Meteor Mash / Ice Punch

Usually Aegislash just hard walls Mega Lucario; even at +2 Meteor Mash doesn't always 2HKO, not to mention King's Shield mindgames and the fact that Mega Lucario is 2HKOed in return by Shadow Ball. However, with Earthquake in your arsenal, you can 2HKO Aegislash on the switch if you get off a predict. If you're using Swords Dance, the need to predict is even less because you can just set up a Swords Dance on a forced switch and OHKO the next turn! Earthquake also gives Mega Lucario a good chance against Toxapex, which would also win otherwise between Recover, Haze, and Scald.

(I was originally going to submit Focus Sash + Taunt + Shadow Ball Tapu Lele, which survives a hit, Taunts to prevent King's Shield, and OHKOs with Shadow Ball. Turned out that that set was more common than I had anticipated...)

All right, submissions are now closed! There are to be no edits of your own Pokemon, nor are there to be any new submissions A few quick things to note;
  • Voting will close on Sunday, where the next Lure That Threat will also be announced.
  • You can't vote for your own submission
  • You can only change your vote once, so think carefully before doing so
  • You can vote even if you haven't made a submission. It is expected that you vote if you did submit yourself, but not compulsory

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 244 HP / 172 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Foul Play
- Recover

SubToxic Aegi is the best P2 counter? Well, not anymore! While you can't Sub if Aegi is already on the field, you can Sub on the switch-in and watch Aegi's despair as it realizes it can't touch P2.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 28 Atk / 252 Def / 228 SpD
Impish Nature
- Yawn
- Whirlwind
- Earthquake
- Protect

[23:46] Aegislash: i want to leave this planet
Tapu Lele @ Ghostium Z / Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Substitute

lele is normally aegislash food. sub lets you take advantage of stance change & makes beating aegi less reliant on prediction. ghost z can kill aegi after a +1 boost. can also kill a meta with no boosts if you sub on its switch in. life orb can let you 2hko aegi too which pretty much does the same job but its less good vs meta. plus ghost z is a better meme.

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed / Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance / Meteor Mash / Ice Punch

Usually Aegislash just hard walls Mega Lucario; even at +2 Meteor Mash doesn't always 2HKO, not to mention King's Shield mindgames and the fact that Mega Lucario is 2HKOed in return by Shadow Ball. However, with Earthquake in your arsenal, you can 2HKO Aegislash on the switch if you get off a predict. If you're using Swords Dance, the need to predict is even less because you can just set up a Swords Dance on a forced switch and OHKO the next turn! Earthquake also gives Mega Lucario a good chance against Toxapex, which would also win otherwise between Recover, Haze, and Scald.

Vote by Sunday!

This week I'mma be going for Thick Fat Azumarill's Substitute Porygon2. For a Pokemon who detests Toxic, dodging it via Substitute is :sogood:

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
Darkinium's Lucario

Lucario is a mon that you can't predict what set it's running until it clicks a move. EQ is a nice tech option for Aegi and Pex, as mentioned already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)