Status
Not open for further replies.
doggo

Lycanroc-Midday

Pokedex Number.: #745
Type - [Rock]
Base Stats* - 75 HP / 115 Atk / 65 Def / 55 SAtk / 65 SDef / 112 Spe

Abilities

Ability 1 - [Keen Eye]: Opposing Pokemon cannot lower this Pokémon’s accuracy. The Pokémon ignores evasion boosts of the opponent.
Ability 2 - [Sand Rush]: The Pokemon's Speed is doubled within a sandstorm
Hidden Ability - [Steadfast]: Speed raises by one level every time the Pokémon flinches.
Level Up

L1 - Tackle
L1 - Leer
L4 - Sand Attack
L7 - Bite
L12 - Howl
L15 - Rock Throw
L18 - Odor Sleuth
L23 - Rock Tomb
L26 - Roar
L29 - Stealth Rock
L34 - Rock Slide
L37 - Scary Face
L40 - Crunch
L45 - Rock Climb
L48 - Stone Edge

TMs

TM05 - Roar
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM12 - Taunt
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM27 - Return
TM32 - Double Team
TM31 - Brick Break
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM49 - Echoed Voice
TM69 - Rock Polish
TM71 - Stone Edge
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM95 - Snarl
TM100 - Confide

Egg - Crush Claw
Egg - Fire Fang
Egg - Thunder Fang
Egg - Sucker Punch
Egg - Thrash

Lycanroc possesses a blazing fast Speed tier, making it one of the fastest Rock-types available, and an acceptable Attack stat backed up by Swords Dance. On top of that, Lycanroc is the only Pokemon to have access to a Rock-type priority move, one of the most valuable offensive typings in the game. While it doesn't have too much else going for it, I think that alone might make it a niche choice in some aspects of the OU metagame.

Potential Movesets

Lycanroc @ Life Orb / Stone Plate
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Accelerock
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang

I don't see many uses for Lycanroc outside of a Swords Dance sweeper. Under the Sand, don't expect to outrun this thing. Swords Dance in combination with Accelerock and a very powerful Stone Edge is certainly nothing to scoff at. Accelerock is one of the prime reasons to use Lycanroc. While at first, it may look weak as it only has 40 BP, at +2, it's able to KO a ridiculous amount of weakened targets that might be faster. It's a shame it doesn't get many other coverage options, but Fire Fang lets it do heavy amounts of damage to Ferrothorn and other Steel-types like Mega Scizor. While Jolly is the better nature outside of Sand teams as it allows it to beat the crowded 110 Speed tier, Adamant can be used with Sand-setters to give it much more power and still retain a high Speed tier thanks to Sand Rush.

Conclusion!

I don't believe Lycanroc will be metagame-defining by any means, but I think it has a possibility of being good enough to at least hold its own. With a fantastic Speed tier, decent Attack and a very valuable priority Rock-type STAB move in Accelerock, Lycanroc can make a pretty potent late-game sweeper and revenge-killer. It also makes a very unique Sand Rush abuser and hits like a truck at +2 while outspeeding pretty much everything. Sadly, a lack of coverage moves means you're going to be stuck using nonsense like Fire Fang. Overall, not a great Pokemon, but one I believe might see some scattered play.

Lycanroc-Midnight

Pokedex Number.: 745
Type(s) - [Rock]
Base Stats* - 85 HP / 115 Atk / 75 Def / 55 SAtk / 75 SDef / 82 Spe

Abilities

Ability 1 - [Keen Eye]: Opposing Pokemon cannot lower this Pokémon’s accuracy. The Pokémon ignores evasion boosts of the opponent.
Ability 2 - [Vital Spirit]: The Pokémon cannot be Asleep while having this ability.
Hidden Ability - [No Guard]: The accuracy of all moves known by this Pokémon and all Pokémon targeting this Pokémon raises to 100%.
Level Up

L0 - Counter
L1 - Counter
L1 - Reversal
L1 - Taunt
L1 - Tackle
L1 - Leer
L1 - Sand Attack
L1 - Bite
L4 - Sand Attack
L7 - Bite
L12 - Howl
L15 - Rock Throw
L18 - Odor Sleuth
L23 - Rock Tomb
L26 - Roar
L29 - Stealth Rock
L34 - Rock Slide
L37 - Scary Face
L40 - Crunch
L45 - Rock Climb
L48 - Stone Edge

TMs

TM05 - Roar
TM06 - Toxic
TM08 - Bulk Up
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM12 - Taunt
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM27 - Return
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM49 - Echoed Voice
TM69 - Rock Polish
TM71 - Stone Edge
TM75 - Swords Dance
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM95 - Snarl
TM100 - Confide

Egg moves

Egg - Crush Claw
Egg - Fire Fang
Egg - Thunder Fang
Egg - Sucker Punch
Egg - Thrash

Lycanroc-Midnight clearly got the short end of the stick here. With some stats moved from its Speed to its Defenses (which means nothing when it's still too frail to be taking any strong hits), Midnight Lycanroc no longer outspeeds a huge portion of the metagame. While No Guard Stone Edge is fantastic, that's pretty much all it has going for it. It can serve as a powerful breaker with Choice Band, but it's hard to justify over most other offensive Rock-types, especially something like Tyranitar or Tyrantrum. It doesn't even get Accelerock, which might give it some sort of chance, and is instead stuck with... Counter? Alright.

Potential Movesets

Lycanroc-Midnight @ Choice Band
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Fang
- Brick Break

Yeah, I don't really know what sets Midnight Lycanroc can even run well. This was the one I had the most success with when laddering yesterday, but even then, I was always wishing I had Midday. While Stone Edge does hit like a truck, everything else in its movepool is too weak.

Conclusion

Midnight Lycanroc is pretty bad, just your standard early-game Pokemon and is generally outclassed, nothing really to see here. The focus should mainly be on Midday as that's the much better version.

I've found both variants to be quite good anti-leads in a pre-bank meta. Will more than likely change when January comes.

Lycanroc @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly
- Stone Edge
- Accelerock
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

This variant is the one I was using for a while before I switched over to the other one since it meshed better with my team. But Stealth Rock and a fast Taunt almost play like Aerodactyl back in the day. Accelerock serves as a nice check to breaking Mimikyu's Disguise, DD Dragonite chip damage and Pinsir. Stone Edge for obligatory STAB.

Lycanroc-Midnight @ Focus Sash
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Counter

This one I'm having more fun with, particulary since Zygarde is rampant at the moment. Enough speed to out run + Speed base 80, Max attack to make the most of Stone Hit and enough HP Ev's to knock out Zygarde with Counter while sash is intact. I tend to be a bit more conservative with this lead if I see a Zygarde, since I don't like having to predict around it.

Edit: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-480125862

Counter against Zygarde

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't really see the merit of the Sash Lead set tbh, for the same reason Sash Lead Terrakion isn't good: it just plain loses to Lando-T and Garchomp. It has higher speed than, which I guess is nice, but at that point you might as well go with Sash Aerodactyl, which, much like Terrkion, sports way better coverage.

And that's really the problem with Lycancroc: its coverage is just not good at all. Fire Fang does help vs Steel-types, but it's so, so weak, and other common rock resists like Keldeo, Garchomp, Lopunny and Lando-T (not technically a rock resist, but still a switchin) still laugh at it. It's also pretty damn frail, Weavile of all things has better overall bulk, and although you can argue that its typing lets it set up over stuff like Heatran and Torn-T and I really don't see it getting many oppotunities to do that.

That being said, I could see it work pretty well vs offense thanks to its good speed and power, and because offense generally doesn't carry too many Rock resists. I do actually think a Choice Band set could be pretty good, it would function like Terrakion, but forgoing the wallbreaking capabilities for a better matchup vs offense. Something like Stone Edge / Accelrock / Fire Fang / Crunch as long as Aegi is around, probably Toxic or Rock Slide one it gets banned. This could seriously cause problems for offense once Keldeo/Garchomp/Lando-T is gone, and can do decently vs certain balanced teams, now that I think about it, since most Rock switchins on those kind of teams are weak to fire (Ferrothorn, and as of now, Aegislash, though it's realistically not breaking past Aegi). But overall, it's kind of a worse albeait slightly faster Terrakion to me.

Oh and Midday Midnight is unviable, this should go without saying lol.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Albacore I think you really meant to say Midnight is unviable; Midday is the one with Accelrock.

Sucks that Band only does like 55% to Zard X with Accelrock, but you can probably wear it down to the point Lycanroc can revenge it. I'd also keep Crunch after Aegislash gets booted if only because it's consistent against Slowbro, Def drops are nice, and it's a filler move anyway.

I definitely see Midday Lycanroc getting some usage - 115 attack and 112 speed is nothing to laugh at. Rock is also a pretty good offensive type, if I understand things right. Accelrock is absolutely a good move, and could be a powerful counter to Quiver Dance Volcarona (x4 damage on the weaker defensive stat, coming off a STAB + 115 Attack? Ouch). It could also serve as an offensive Stealth Rock lead - again, 112 Speed is pretty fast for an Alolan Pokemon. The pure Rock typing does open up some problems, though. It's vulnerable to Aqua Jet and faster Pokemon with SE moves like Alolan Dugtrio (Scarfed EQ), especially since Dugtrio got buffed to 100 Attack.

I'm still a noob to this, so sorry if my assessment is kinda spotty.

totally inferior no guard stone edge at least gives midnight a reliable strong stab attack.

Sand Rush is the best ability, if only because accuracy reducing moves pretty much don't exist, and the only Mon that consistently flinchs is Jirachi. Who will kill you because Iron Head is SE.

Lycanroc-Midday can even run a Choice Band to rectify that low base power of its moves, because 112 Spe is really good. Too bad that it has to run Jolly to outspeed that pokemon with 110 Spe tier.
Too bad that it stacks the same weaknesses in a Sandstorm team with the weather setter(s).
UU material in my opinion; a good ability could have changed this.

Once the tiers settle and it's not up against all these monsters running around in OU, I'm definitely going to try a Rock Polish set.

Lycanroc-Midnight @ Life Orb
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang
- Thunder Fang

This set lets Lycanroc outspeed everything in the current UU tier after a rock polish and I can't think of any gen 7 mons that will be UU that outspeed. Just a theory craft at this point though since I'm not trying this in a tier with Pheramosa.

Can't see Midday Lycanroc being viable in OU or even UU with it's terrible coverage options. Accelrock and 112 Speed are the only 2 good things about Lycanroc. 115 attack is fairly good nowadays, though without an SD it will struggle to sweep anything. This is made even harder with shitty coverage moves. Midnight Lycanroc is LOL, no one should even consider running it. No Guard Stone Edge is not worth the speed loss.

Can't see Midday Lycanroc being viable in OU or even UU with it's terrible coverage options. Accelrock and 112 Speed are the only 2 good things about Lycanroc. 115 attack is fairly good nowadays, though without an SD it will struggle to sweep anything. This is made even harder with shitty coverage moves. Midnight Lycanroc is LOL, no one should even consider running it. No Guard Stone Edge is not worth the speed loss.
shhhhh, don't say things like that to my precious rock wolf. Jokes aside, yeah, being a dog means you can't even pull punches, so that kinda sucks. It will likely be good at the lower tiers tough.

Midnight Lycanroc should improve, at least slightly, once Gen 7 Pokemon get access to tutors.

Since Midnight Lycanroc stands on two legs, it should be able to learn punching moves.

Why the Midday form doesn't learn Ice Fang baffles me. It's probably the best coverage move M-Lycanroc would have got had it learn it. I know it still does zero to Bulky mons like Hippowdon, though it wouldn't be complete fodder to Ground types. +2 Ice Fang stings Hippo and does good damage to Lando and Chomp. Alas, it doesn't learn it which makes Lycanroc complete fodder against most ground types.

Can't wait for move tutors. With a more varied movepool the midday form can be quite versatile. With stuff like Iron head Zen headbutt and hopefully Superpower. I'm disappointed it doesn't get ice fang or psychic fangs.

How about giving a Choice Scarf set to Midnight-form? You know, most Choice Scarfers in the game have around 80~95 Speed, so why not giving Midnight-boy a choicy-doicy little scarf for xmas?

Once the tiers settle and it's not up against all these monsters running around in OU, I'm definitely going to try a Rock Polish set.

Lycanroc-Midnight @ Life Orb
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang
- Thunder Fang

This set lets Lycanroc outspeed everything in the current UU tier after a rock polish and I can't think of any gen 7 mons that will be UU that outspeed. Just a theory craft at this point though since I'm not trying this in a tier with Pheramosa.
Rock Polish honestly kinda decent now tbh. I just went with a straight up 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe Adamant spread and with Crunch over Thunder Fang and it put in a bit of work. Rock Polish + Swords Dance would probably also be pretty good, especially if it got Earthquake. This will probably be a pretty threatening UU set or something.

Rockium Z might be worthwhile on the SD sets since these two are starved for coverage moves. Continental Crush is 180 BP with Stone Edge and allows them to break through some of the toughest physical walls better than any of their limited coverage options.

Calcs:
Adamant:
+2 252+ Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 336-396 (100.5 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 315-372 (103.6 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 364-430 (90 - 106.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Landorus-Therian: 345-406 (90.5 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Jolly:
+2 252 Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 306-361 (91.6 - 108%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 288-339 (94.7 - 111.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 331-391 (81.9 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Lycanroc Continental Crush vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Landorus-Therian: 313-370 (82.1 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Lycanroc-Midnight @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt / Brick Break / Fire Fang / Filler

Midday could run the same set with a Jolly nature, but it has more options for the last 2 slots thanks to its much higher speed. Midnight can afford to use an Adamant nature over Jolly since its speed is already subpar. Granted, I can't see why I would use either Lycanroc in OU but they both have potential in lower tiers.

I gave Lycanroc a try and was really unimpressed.

Even after a Swords Dance boost and maximum EV investment in attack, both Accelrock and Rock Slide barely left a scratch on most of the Pokémon in the meta. It just doesn't hit hard enough and dies too easily, even with focus sash equipped.

Yes I realise I didn't use Stone Miss, but I really wanted better accuracy and the flinch chance. But I doubt it would make much difference in making Lycanroc any good

i can't see a reason to use RP + SD lycanrock over terrakion lol. this mon really disapointed me, not sure if even midday will have a niche in OU :(

Its real problem is its frailty and typing. Pretty much everything 2hkos it and it's weak to three types of priority, so sweeps are few and far between.

I found it best to use it as a revenge killer and rock setter, personally. Accelerock is no joke, and it's surprising how much it scares out.

Talking about midday, of course. Midnight form is laughably bad.

Someone said No Guard Stone Edge is not worth the speed loss on midnight, and I absolutely agree. In fact the only move Midnight even has that significantly improves with No Guard is Stone Edge since the fangs have near perfect accuracy. Midday form is much better for sure, and even then it's not particularly great. I could see a band set working out with Accelerock btw for immediate power since Lyca is glassy and setting up SD without fear of being KO'd or status'd would be very difficult in many situations.

Alola Recreant,

The following set looks to be a viable option worth considering in lower tiers. It's access to Swords Dance [SD], Sucker Punch, and other coverage gives it the ability to play the role of a sweeper. That said, since Lycanroc-M lacks the raw power and defensive prowess needed, I believe this set to be limited to RU and lower tiers.

[RU Sweeper]
Lycanroc-Midnight (M) @ Life Orb

Jolly / Adamant Nature
Swords Dance
Stone Edge
Brick Break / Fire Fang
Sucker Punch

Set explanation and details:
Available On Request.

______

A Choice Band set is a viable candidate for OU as Lycanroc-Midday has both the speed and coverage to abuse it. The perks of this set is that it can revenge kill with a boosted Accelerock. This is most impressive when considering the offensive nature of Rock types i.e. they have limited resistances in Ground, Fighting, and Steel, and can score effective hits across the board on common Pokemon types (Fire, Ice, Flying, Bug etc).

[OU Revenge Killer]
Lycanroc (M) @ Choice Band

Jolly / Adamant Nature
Stone Edge
Fire Fang
Brick Break / Crunch / Toxic
Accelerock

Set explanation and details:
Available On Request.

P.S. What are your thoughts on the sets for their predicted tier? ^^

Last edited:
what were they thinking on mid-night form? lol
I know Counter is supposed to have it in conjunction with its history, but it's too damn frail to do it. i would be so cool to have those 20 stat difference of the midday form to be in attack, but alas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)