Magic Bounce

If you ever used Pokesav to look at or make a Pokemon you'd notice that there is a flag on them to tell you what ability they would get. In gen 4 there was only 2 options, but apparently in gen 5 there will be 3 now.

So an Adaption Eevee would be flagged with #3 and he would evolve into an Espeon flagged with a #3 which would correspond with Magic Mirror.

If Espeon can have Baton Pass with this, it could be a very useful link in a Baton Pass team. Every time your opponent tries to Taunt/Phaze you, BP to Espeon and either Taunt them or force a switch.
Baton Pass in general isn't a bad move to have. If your opponent tries to switch out after having status reflected back at him, just create a substitute and either blast what's coming in or give it to a team-mate for a free switch-in. Maybe send some boosts along, in the case you've deflected paralysis.

It's a shame that since it's a Dreamworld ability, you can't make use of Wish or Heal Bell (Egg Move and Tutor Move respectively), as those could provide some great support options.

Are there really three flags, or are there two flags of one type and two flags of the other type, that currently only correspond to a total of three different abilities for each Pokemon?

This could be relevant. I've seen how it works in Gen 4, but how it works in Gen 5 could be different.

I was thinking, Espeon is completely immune to Taunt with this Ability, so it can set up whatever it wants without having to worry about it. So why not use a Dual Screen or Trick Room set? Focus Sash, Protect, and Magic Mirror would guarentee that it would get Trick Room off (Protect is for Fake Out). I suppose a slow Baton Pass to a sweeper would be good after that if Espeon doesn't get KO'd.

Does Magic Mirror reflect things if you use Protect and what happens if two Pokemon with Magic Mirror go against each other and one of them uses SR?

Wow, it sounds like a huge bane to set-up leads, who can't risk trying to do anything. Can't wait to see how this plays out...

So if I understand this correctly, if Espeon switched in on a Forry using Spikes, then Forry's Spikes would be invalidated and the Espeon user would get a free layer of Spikes?

Wow, Espeon might become an interesting UU stallbreaker. Of course it's never gonna cut it in OU, but whatever.

I don't see her making OU (which is sad since espy is my 2nd fav pokemon) but she will be useful. If they try to taunt they turn themselves useless as you come in. Then you attack and priority them. If they try a ser up you get it instead and still kill off their lead. I can see her in UU at least with a few guest appearances in OU or BL.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is going to radically alter the lead metagame and that's that. More attacking leads, many fewer suicide leads, and more mindgames. The first-turn threat of the opponent switching Espeon/Xatu into your SR will make players more cautious, and opponents can play mindgames with predicted Dark/Ghost-type attacks, which, in turn, can lead to more mindgames via counter-prediction. This may be the most game-changing ability in Gen. V in terms of affecting the way the metagame is played (the lead meta being the singularly most consistent). That's not to mention even the ability's overall stallbreaking abilities. I, for one, believe the hype is well-deserved and the ability will push at least Espeon into OU.

Espeon will now work great against leads with this new ability. It'll also be good to use just in mid-game, predicting status and getting a free switch in to break many walls that use status. (Blissey would still be a problem, however.) All in all this is a fantastic ability and Espeon will do amazing if it is put in UU. However it can easily soar up into OU or most likely BL.

Blissey is the least of Espeon's issues in (old) OU if it's running an 'anti-lead' mind set. Should you all be avoiding the tier discussion at any rate?

All Espeon has to do to function as an anti-lead is setup Substitute, or Reflect/Light Screen, given the situation. Baton Pass away after the threat of entry hazards has passed, or to a Pokemon that counters whatever is on the field.

This could be critical for a team using a Pokemon like Urugamosu, where Rocks must be kept off of the field at all cost.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If you ever used Pokesav to look at or make a Pokemon you'd notice that there is a flag on them to tell you what ability they would get. In gen 4 there was only 2 options, but apparently in gen 5 there will be 3 now.

So an Adaption Eevee would be flagged with #3 and he would evolve into an Espeon flagged with a #3 which would correspond with Magic Mirror.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Eevee's #3 ability is Anticipation, and it may be only those Eevees that evolve into Magic Mirror Espeons. For all we know Espeon's #1 and #2 abilities are both Synchronize and the #3 ability is Magic Mirror. I'll be testing it once I've worked out the Pokeshifter, but I doubt we can get Magic Mirror Espeons so easily.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Uh this seems like its going to be a bane for my Spikestacking + 3 Swimming Goggles speed shuffling team plans. This pretty much makes ScarfTar even more of a friend to Spikestacking teams.

Awesome ability. I like how GF was creative in making entry hazards less viable this gen- removing SR as a TM solves the "everything and their mother can use SR" problem and this ability actually punishes spiking by reflecting it back! Amazing.

Lead Espeon is tempting, but I'd rather put it in reserve and have it surprise the opponent with a first-turn switch-in against an obvious SR user. This will lead to some very interesting mindgames and will shake up the metagame quite a bit. Espeon should bounce up to BL or low OU, even with the influx of excellent Pokemon.

I'm more excited about Xatu's potential! But that's because I prefer the lower tiers :P
I don't really know whether it'd be better to invest EVs in defenses and use Night Shade to deal damage, or just go for a sweeper set.

hmm considering theyre both psychic They need to get past Ttar or else theyre use will not skyrocket.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Does magic mirror only reflect SR/spikes/TS on the turn it was used?

Like... if they're already on the field, this ability does nothing, right?

Its a great ability! Too bad the Pokemon who get it completely suck.
But its such an amazing ability that Espeon just went from completely sucking to legitimate OU threat...

seriously this ability just does too much. espeon is going to have soo many uses. Also, it has the special defense to take a hit, and after its done its work disrupting the opponent with magic mirror, it can either switch out and disrupt again later, or fire off an attack or two utilizing its 130 special attack and 110 speed (people forget that espeon's speed and special attack are this good) and then faint. Also how is espeon's movepool THAT bad? psychic (check how many good fighting types are in BW, psychic just became a more useful attacking type) shadow ball, signal beam, grass knot, hp fire for the steels that resist every move I've listed... point is Espeon can do enough in the attacking department. With this ability, he leapfrogs alakazam in terms of quality and shoots into OU.

Wait, does Magic Mirror actually Reflect entry hazards? If this is confirmed Espeon could almost have its niche. Its still frail as hell and can't really hurt anything but it could be funny to bounce back some things. If only it was useful in other ways..
130 Special Attack is clearly not good enough for hurting things.

Also, espyjump just got much much more dangerous.

Switch espeon's in on a predicted thunderwave or sleep powder. Opponent switches out, and on the switch, calm mind or sub and then BP out. The BP would possibly prevent scarftar's pursuit from OHKOing it (if CM was used and sub was not).

I agree. It's only Pursuit and Sucker Punch that keep Espeon and Alakazam from becoming more dangerous threats. In terms of Special Attack, Speed and movepool, they're nowhere near useless.

Espeon (252 Sp.Atk + Life Orb + Timid) Signal Beam vs. Tyranitar = 41.5 - 49.1 (2HKO with Spikes, which are easy to get)
Espeon (252 Sp.Atk + Life Orb + Modest) HP Fighting vs. Tyranitar = 85.4 - OHKO

More defensive variants might be safe, but offensive TTar isn't switching in any time soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)