Magic: The Gathering

I would hope that people wouldn't make terribly unfair decks, no matter the format we use... This is a tournament that's meant to be played for fun. :/

So far, it seems that Standard is out of the question (yay) and EDH would be too luck-based.

So the real question is: Legacy or Modern/Extended?

Fig

Needs to stop disappearing.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Standard could work if we all agreed to ban Caw-Blade from use. There are plenty of other decks in the format that are actually fun to play with and against.

Legacy would probably be the best choice as Modern would be fun too but the format needs more time active so the banned list can be more definite and see how 'fun' the format is.

modern please. the fact that it's a young format means everyone will hopefully be creative and have fun rather than play whatever stupid decks turn out to be the best

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Not Extended.

Modern is a younger format, but it has less "broken" decks. It's a more aggro-centered format with a prototype ban list, so to speak. It probably has the most room to brew since it's so new.

Legacy is fine too, but it has the High Tides and Dredge decks that you may not like if you're just playing for fun.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So lets have a big pow wow OR we get a headcount of people that would like to play. Then we have an informal vote on the tier we want to play; hell we can even do two tournaments should this work well.

I mean here's the compromise. The players get together, decide on however many decks that we feel are "unfair". A suspect test so to speak (kidding).

Again, like asim said, lets have fun first and foremost.

I'm more than happy to organize this. Others are more than welcome to help/take over the reins. No skin off my teeth.

Yes, Matty can have all rights to organizing this. I'll be leaving soon and won't be back until tomorrow afternoon, so if there's a headcount/vote,
I'm in and vote for Legacy.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I would prefer if we did modern, or edh in pods of 3 or 4 (winner and second place advance to the next round). I dont want to play any format where turn 1 hymn to tourach is a strong play. Besides, im not familiar with legacy, and I would just be playing dredge, or natural order.

I will also vote for Modern. The fact that it's a new metagame allows everyone to just play whatever they feel is fun, and there is also no real point in netdecking. I really like Legacy, but I know for a fact that Im in the minority of individuals who love to dredge combo out by turn 2 and still find that fun.

Or I'd be so down for a multiplayer style Swiss EDH, with some proper rules created.

Fig

is a Contributor Alumnus
Temperantia: Every set from 8th edition onwards is legal in Modern, including Time Spiral's "timeshifted" cards. Cards from special sets like Duel Decks and the Commander Decks are only legal if the card is printed in a regular set that is currently legal, so that would mean no Sol Ring for example (and no Fireblast either. QQ. Brainstorm is not legal either.).

Modern Banned list:

• Ancestral Vision
    Ancient Den
    Bitterblossom
    Chrome Mox
    Dark Depths
    Dread Return
    Glimpse of Nature
    Golgari Grave-Troll
    Great Furnace
    Hypergenesis
    Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    Mental Misstep
    Seat of the Synod
    Sensei's Divining Top
    Skullclamp
    Stoneforge Mystic
    Sword of the Meek
    Tree of Tales
    Umezawa's Jitte
    Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
    Vault of Whispers

On topic: My vote would go to Legacy if Modern is not being considered as an option.

no love for sealed? :c

i'd be down for modern. i can't be fucked dredging through god knows how many cards to play legacy.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
My vote is for Modern but I also like the idea of EDH Pods with the top 2 moving on.

Also willing to host/help host.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
One 'problem' i see with making it pod edh, is that who gets 2nd is kind of random sometimes. Like if i am way ahead, I basically choose who gets what place, just something to consider.

I dont play as much anymore, but last time i saw, jace and stoneforge were banned but i didnt know of valakut being banned

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
But its only in the valukut deck that scapeshift becomes an instant win button. And with valukut already being good in standard, I guess wizards didn't want to take any chances and headed straight for the source.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Wizards banned Valakut for the same reason they banned Bitterblossom. They wanted to nerf extremely powerful strategies that have existed recently in Standard or Extended. They wanted to be proactive to ensure that they got a good metagame, and Valakut is a very powerful card, especially with all the relatively easy ramping available. Scapeshift just happens to be one component of a very powerful strategy centering around Valakut. It can do things without Valakut that Wizards think are interactive. Valakut is just "drop lands, do damage." You can read about it in more detail here, along with the rest of the recent bans.

I would not play if it was EDH because I do not like EDH, but I will play in any Standard, Modern, or Legacy tournament. I am not a huge fan of Legacy, but I do think it is fun, and will probably run dredge or some kind of common control strategy. Vintage is retarded and I have no desire to play it.

Fig

is a Contributor Alumnus
Pretty much what Vader said on the banned list. Everyone hated Valakut when it was the boogeyman in the closet and Wizards is trying to prevent the Modern format from being the same two or three decks dominating it. They tried to reign in Caw-blade by banning Jace and Stoneforge and it worked...for like a week. The grinders will still find the best two or three decks to play and everyone (generally speaking) will gravitate to them. I still think it's awesome they're at least making proactive attempts to keeping a meta healthy and diverse. It's just the players tend to ruin it.

Vintage is indeed retarded. All Vintage is is 1. Aquire Power Nine. 2. Run some broken T1 kill strat. 3. ??? 4. Profit.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If our tournaments are in the interests of fun rather than all out winning, unless we play Modern which I have not had time to get used to, then every format will need a "this deck cannot be used". EDH will want Hermit_Druid.dek to be locked away, Legacy does not want to see High Tide, etc.
However, if I do have a say in this, EDH pools is my top choice followed by Standard and Modern. What would be interesting is 'gimmick' metagames, such as "mono color only" or "your deck must have no more than 2 of a card not counting basic lands" etc.

In an unrelated story, I borrowed a Riku deck today and was stupid enough to Rite Of Replication, kicked and copied.... Targeting Riku.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll vote for Modern

I PM'd Billy and he said that whenever we are ready to submit the tournament rules and format we are more than welcome too.

So far it looks like Modern is winning followed by EDH Pools (Top 2 move on).

OK I'll let voting keep happening for the next couple of days.

Let us also start trying to figure out the format we want for the tournament.
Do we want to do a Swiss Round (You play everyone or half of everyone competing and the Top 4 or 8 move on). Or we do we want to play single elimination starting from what looks like 8 players who are voting currently?

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
If specific decks get banned, count me out. I like running dredge in Legacy and I'm sure that would be banned for being "unfun." You'd might as well ban Force of Will too because as much as I love control I think FoW is retarded as hell. Keeping the integrity of the formats is important imo and arbitrarily banning decks for being unfun is scrubby as hell. Everyone has a different idea of fun. I think Aggro is boring as hell to play as and Combo is boring as hell to play against, but that doesn't mean they should be banned. WotC makes the game, not us.

That said, if we could somehow do a superhuge cube draft with low-power cards, I would be SO down d:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)