Mamoswine (Revamp) (GP 2/2)

QC: fleggumfl / bludz / Tokyo Tom

GP: The Dutch Plumberjack / frenzyplant

[OVERVIEW]

Mamoswine is a solid wallbreaker in OU thanks to its great Attack combined with an excellent offensive typing, that makes it difficult for many teams to switch into. Its typing coupled with decent overall bulk allows it to work as a great check to common Electric-types in the tier. A decent ability in Thick Fat also gives it valuable resistances to Ice- and Fire-type moves and grants it more opportunities to switch in. However, Mamoswine sits at a low Speed tier that, in tandem with relatively low bulk, leaves it a glass cannon that can't outpace premier OU threats. It also faces competition from Weavile, which boasts a better Speed tier as well as STAB Knock Off, though Mamoswine has a more useful Ice / Ground typing as well as more power and bulk. Mamoswine faces further competition from Kyurem-B, which has much more bulk and versatility in addition to much wider movepool and a solid niche as the only specially based Ice-type in OU. Lastly, Mamoswine struggles to break past certain Steel-types, such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor.

[SET]
name: Wallbreaker
move 1: Ice Shard
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Icicle Crash
move 4: Superpower / Freeze-Dry / Stealth Rock
item: Life Orb
ability: Thick Fat
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Ice Shard is mandatory, as it allows Mamoswine to revenge kill Flying-, Dragon-, and Grass-types such as Tornadus-T, Mega Altaria, and Serperior and pick off weakened threats. Earthquake is Mamoswine's most powerful STAB move and offers nice coverage in tandem with its Ice-type attacks. Icicle Crash is its preferred Ice-type option, coming with a decent flinch chance with imperfect accuracy. Superpower allows Mamoswine to eliminate more physically defensive Ferrothorn variants which otherwise wall Mamoswine. Knock Off is a decent option, as it allows Mamoswine to remove items from its few switch-ins to aid in wallbreaking and cripple said switch-ins for the rest of the match. Freeze-Dry gives Mamoswine the ability to lure in and KO bulky Water-types that it otherwise struggles with. Stealth Rock can be used for Mamoswine to act as an offensive entry hazard setter, due to its ability to threaten common setters such as Garchomp, Heatran, and Landorus-T.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed investment allows Mamoswine to hit as hard and fast as possible. A Jolly nature allows Mamoswine to outspeed Bisharp, Breloom, and Timid Heatran. An Adamant nature can be run for a considerable increase in power, exemplified by a high chance to 2HKO Skarmory with Icicle Crash, Mega Scizor with Earthquake, and OHKO Tornadus-T with Ice Shard after Stealth Rock, but this comes at the expense of failing to outspeed the aforementioned threats. Thick Fat is the ability of choice, as it gives Mamoswine the ability to work as a check to certain Electric-types and switch into some Ice- and Fire-type moves. Life Orb bolsters Mamoswine's overall power. If running Freeze-Dry, a spread of 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe along with a Naughty or Naive nature gives Mamoswine the ability to 2HKO Rotom-W and Slowbro, which it otherwise struggles with.

Usage Tips
========

It's best to utilize Mamoswine as an early- or mid-game wallbreaker. Mamoswine can be used to pressure common entry hazard setters, such as Landorus-T and Heatran, as well as hazard removers, through its STAB combination and power. Bring Mamoswine in through use of Volt Switch and U-turn or double switching, as its bulk is decent at best. Good prediction is necessary to maximize Mamoswine's potential due to its below average Speed.

Team Options
========

Mamoswine is often found on offensive teams that appreciate its ability to threaten bulky Ground- and Water-types and pressure Heatran with its mixed set. Magnezone can trap and eliminate Skarmory, Scizor, and Ferrothorn while also offering Volt Switch support. Flying-types such as Mega Pinsir and Talonflame appreciate Mamoswine's ability to lure in and KO Rotom-W and Quagsire and eliminate checks such as Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Heatran. Mega Charizard X appreciates Mamoswine's ability to pressure bulky Ground-types such as Hippowdon and Landorus-T and its ability to eliminate Slowbro and Quagsire with Freeze-Dry. In return, Mega Charizard X can beat the Steel-types Mamoswine struggles with. Serperior benefits from Mamoswine's ability to threaten Tornadus-T, Mega Altaria, Heatran, and Amoonguss and can break down bulky Water-types in return. Heatran can pressure the Steel-types that wall Mamoswine while taking advantage of its ability to lure in and KO threats such as Rotom-W and Slowbro. Klefki provides speed control to alleviate Mamoswine's Speed issues and forms an entry hazard-stacking core with it if you run Stealth Rock. Ferrothorn provides a switch-in for foes such as Mega Gyarados and Azumarill while providing Stealth Rock or Spikes support to aid Mamoswine in its wallbreaking.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Icicle Spear can be run to bypass Focus Sash and Substitute users as well as Multiscale Dragonite and Yache Berry users. Choice Scarf gives Mamoswine better revenge killing capabilities and a surprise factor at the expense of power and the ability to change its moves. A dedicated Stealth Rock lead set utilizing Focus Sash and Endeavor can be used with Oblivious as its ability.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Priority Move Users**: Azumarill, Scizor, and Breloom can all threaten Mamoswine with their super effective priority moves, though Breloom is a more situational threat because it needs to run Focus Sash and Mamoswine must be an Adamant variant. Mamoswine also takes a large chunk of damage from Bisharp's Sucker Punch and Talonflame's Brave Bird.

**Revenge Killers**: Due to its low Speed tier, Mamoswine is easily outsped Pokemon on more offensively oriented teams and fast, hard-hitting Pokemon that can tank an Ice Shard, such as Mega Lopunny, Conkeldurr, Starmie, Keldeo, and Mega Diancie.

**Bulky Water-types**: Slowbro, Rotom-W, Manaphy, and Quagsire can easily tank either of Mamoswine's typical STAB attacks and wear it down with their own STAB attacks or status effects. However, they can be eliminated through the use of Freeze-Dry.

**Steel-types**: Skarmory and Ferrothorn are big trouble for Mamoswine. Skarmory is immune to Earthquake and can tank an Icicle Crash and retaliate with Iron Head or Counter, and while Ferrothorn is hit neutrally by Mamoswine's STAB attacks, it can wear it down with Leech Seed or KO it with Gyro Ball. Mega Metagross can outrun Mamoswine and KO it with Meteor Mash, and Klefki can use Magnet Rise to avoid Earthquake and chip away at Mamoswine. Scizor can weaken it with Bullet Punch, and Excadrill and Jirachi can outspeed it and KO it with Iron Head.

Last edited:

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Freeze-Dry is better than Other Options. Having a solid chance to 2HKO Rotom-W and Slowbro after Stealth Rock is a big deal and I have absolutely no clue what changed to suddenly make it no longer slash-worthy. Beating those Pokemon is kind of a big deal.

Actually, to be completely honest, it seems a lot like you've copy-pasted the set from the UU analysis and refashioned the set comments to discuss OU threats. For example, Icicle Spear isn't mentioned at all even though it's a slash-worthy option in OU as it deals with Substitute Gliscor.

Last edited:
If you're going by the current OU analysis and comparing what I've got to the UU anaysis then of course it's gonna look like that since imo it's a drastic change to go from the mixed set that been posted there for a long time to a completely physical Life Orb set which is arguably it's best set right now. Like I seriously wrote all of this myself from my own experience with Mamoswine

As for Freeze-Dry like that'd be several natures slashed as it only works with Naughty / Naive sets, and i really don't know where to mention the mixed set other than other options.

Last edited:

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I mean, at least slash Icicle Spear with Icicle Crash... Beating Sub Gliscor alone is enough to slash it.

I mean at the very least mixed could be made a separate set but I still don't know what changed that moved Freeze-Dry from set-worthy to Other Options. Rotom-W didn't stop existing and it's still a top 10 Pokemon so it's not like some incredibly niche move you're using for some relatively uncommon threat.

So yeah if anyone approves I'll go ahead and keep the mixorb set, not finished with it, but a basic skeleton

if anyone objects i'll remove it

e: removed it

Last edited:
dont really have time to read this that much but
mixorbs set name should be changed to "all out attacker" and make them one set anyways. they play almost exactly alike and one move shouldnt change this. seriously idgi

icicle spear shouldnt be slashed. like, at all. it's really bad. icicle crash is better like 95% of the time and the other 5% u beat the mon ur ysing it against anyways. icicle crash is way more reliable and way better

ill edit more in later but these are the things that most stick out

p2

Banned deucer.
MAMO ONLY DESERVES ONE SET

Overview
Mention something about Mamo being a decent electric check outside of focus blast thundy because thats one of its main selling points tbh

Moves
this is mainly nitpicking but I think the set name should be more along the lines of Wallbreaker rather than "life orb"
Icicle Spear deserves a mention for its ability to bypass Yache Berries, Subs and Focus Sashes on stuff like Garchomp, put it in moves, don't slash it though because i dont think its good enough to merit a slash, leave that up to other qc members
also remove freeze-dry and put it here too

set details
mention that you should run a naughty/naive nature when using freeze dry in order to 2hko rotom and slowbro because you struggle to otherwise

usage tips
this feels kinda off to me. i see mamo as more a early/mid-game wallbreaker
id say the dont stay in on threats you cant 1v1 is a given, so id just remove that part

team options
add a blanket mention to grass types and water types (grasses like birds weakened + can take water moves + hp ice electrics checked etc etc) (waters like grasses weakened + take water moves + annoy scizor with scald + waters and mamo really annoy stuff like ferro because it gets overloaded quickly)

other options
add choice scarf
add oblivious sash endeavor lead

c&c
remove status, everything hates status and thats kind of a given
add fighting types
change skarm+ferro into steel types and generalize how as a whole they can be annoying for mamo (scizor has priority, skarm/ferro/scizor are bulky enough to come in, megagross and jirachi are faster, klefki can magnet rise and chip mamo with dgleam/foul/flash cannon, jolly bisharp outspeeds adamant variants

1/3

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
TBH Freeze Dry and Icicle Spear are so team specific that they were fine in OO imo. Sub Gli aint anywhere near as common as it was in XY to warrant an unreliable move getting a slash and if ur worried about how to beat DNite when using Mamo u probably have bigger issues than Multiscale. Seriously it was only good on lead mamo cause it beat SashLoom (not common as a lead anymore) through sash. As for freeze dry, most teams inadvertently prep for Washtom it anyway so luring it shouldn't be ur primary concern. If anything I'd give it a strong OO mention saying that that its its strongest hit v.s. Gyara and the water/grounds in adidition to Rotom-W (dat 4x boyz).

Make sure to add Rotom-H to C&C for the reasons that Washtom is there. Also add Stone Edge to OO to hit Rotom-H, CharY and SpD Talon harder than its other moves.

rotom h isnt relevant enough to have its own mention in c&c

freeze dry in oo is ridiculous because its mamos best option vs 2 of its otherwise counters in washtom/slowbro so lmao

icicle spear is pure oo tbh i think any other spot for it is ridiculous based on how inconsistent in terms of damage and generally being worse than icicle crash outside of very few situations lmao

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Icicle spear is OO definitely. The days of Sub Gliscors and Dragonite are gone and the meta is hindered more by Crash than by Spear. I don't like Freeze Dry simply cause in practice it's pretty shotty at doing what it's suppose to be doing in the first place but w/e I'll let other QC decide on that one. Knock Off isn't really a "great" option, you're sort of exaggerating its effectiveness when it's pretty specific to an archetype such as the Pinsir / Magnezone builds so I'd tone that down a bit. Substitute should be in OO. Most countermeasures to Mamoswine include switching around it to put it into an unfavorable position. Sub alleviates these scenarios and works on more high octane teams, normally one with a Healing Wish user + hazard removal (think Latias). Mention volt-turn in usage tips, that's traditionally how you get frail wall-breakers in, Mamoswine included. Mention that Adamant nature Ice Shard KOs Torn-T after rocks which is another big reason why it's used.

Serperior breaks water types for Mamoswine. The boosted HP Fire point is moot here as Serperior shouldn't be your answer to what you mentioned for Mamoswine.

I'll put more later once you've done fleggs check and I've looked through it more.

**Bulky Water-types**:Slowbro, Quagisre, and Rotom-W can easily tank either of its STAB and wear it down through their own respective STAB or through Status.
It should be mentioned that none of them like Freeze Dry, particularly Quagsire who is OHKOd.

Rotom-W commonly runs 8 EVs of Special Defense, so 16 Special Attack EVs need to be run with a Naive Nature and Freeze Dry in order to 2HKO it after Stealth Rock.

I would also mention Bisharp as a teammate because it appreciates Mamoswine breaking bulky Ground-types, while in turn being able to put pressure on Slowbro and providing priority Sucker Punch to pick off weakened threats that Ice Shard would normally not KO.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview

Mention competition from Weavile as an offensive physical Ice type; disadvantage being lower speed (emphasize how big a difference this makes). Ground typing (in a meta where electrics are big threats), more power and fewer switchins with options like SR being its advantages.

Usage Tips

Mention that proper prediction is necessary to maximize Mamos full potential due to its low speed. Against something like Garchomp or Lando-T it is often a low risk play to go for EQ predicting Keldeo for example. This goes for all Ice Shard bluffs as well.

Team Options

Heatran pressures steel types that wall it, particularly enjoying Freeze Dry variants to weaken fat waters (or alternatively power herb Heatran to support non Freeze Dry Mamo)

Magnezone deserves its own sentence separate from Manectric imo since they function differently.

Other Options

Move Stealth Rocks and Icicle Spear as the top 2 in these bullets as they are the most viable alternatives. I would remove Substitute.

Checks and Counters

Mega Sableye is a very threatening check because it can tank any attack and Will-O-Wisp, but it is not switching in well.

Excadrill in steel types

Suicune in bulky waters

Kyurem-Black is notable for OHKOing with Ice Beam after SR damage as Teravolt ignores Thick Fat.

QC 2/3 when implemented

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Superpower allows Mamoswine to lure Ferrothorn who otherwise walls Mamoswine.
Make sure to specify that you are referring to more physically invested variants of Ferrothorn and/or jolly mamo, because an adamant EQ has a chance to 2HKO standard Ferrothorn after rocks.

252+ Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 157-187 (44.6 - 53.1%) -- 30.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Mamoswine does not necessarily need Spin support, but Starmie pairs well with a lot of Pokemon that Mamoswine is usually paired with, such as Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Mega Manectric, and Ferrothorn, so it should be mentioned in some form as a teammate. Mamoswine does also appreciate a Keldeo check, regardless of how shaky it is, and Starmie definitely appreciates a mon that can overload Ferrothorn in return.

Also Zard X absolutely adores the pressure on Landorus-T, Garchomp, Hippowdon, Quagsire, and Slowbro (the latter two if running Freeze Dry) and can put pressure on Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor in return.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
[OVERVIEW]

Mamoswine is a solid wallbreaker in OU thanks to its great Attack combined with a excellent dual STABs, making it difficult for many teams to switch into it. Its typing coupled with decent overall bulk allows it to work as a great check to common Electric-types in the tier. A decent ability in Thick Fat also gives it valuable resistances to Ice and Fire-type moves and grants it better opportunities to switch in. However, Mamoswine sits at a low speed tier, putting it behind numerous amounts of offensive threats. It also faces competition from Weavile, who boasts a better speed tier, but Mamoswine has a more useful Ground-typing as well as more power and bulk. Lastly, it struggles to break past certain Steel and Water-types.
Mention that is faces competition with Kyurem-B for the wall-breaker role as Kyurem-B can handle stuff like Waters. Mention which Steels specifically cause honestly this line seems a bit weird seeing as how I think off the top of my head it has issues with breaking past Defensive Skarmoy, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor only. Every other steel hates switching into this.

I'd mention Manaphy in the water section under Checks and Counters. Mega Metagross seems better in the steel type section. Mega Alakazam isn't exactly something I would call a check to Mamoswine.

Throughout the analysis make sure you explain specifics not just generalizations. Such as "Fighting types" should mention which ones exactly and should encompass relevant ones in the current metagame. Look over and edit the writing to make sure its up to date with current meta trends and to clean up these generalizations so that it's fuller and more precise. Let me know when you've done that.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Looks pretty good so far -

Overview
Nitpicking, but I'd also mention its relatively low bulk in relation to its low speed; one of its biggest issues is that it's a glass cannon that can't outpace enough of the metagame to truly be a premier offensive presence. The Weavile comparison is cool except I would mention STAB Knock Off as besides Speed that's one of the biggest things that separate the two. For Kyurem-B, I wouldn't necessarily say that the biggest difference is the handling of Water-types, since Mamoswine can do this to some extent by running Freeze-Dry. Rather, Kyurem-B is much more versatile (it has a lot of different sets and viable moves to choose from), has much higher bulk (and reliable recovery), and has a niche as the only specially-based Ice-type Pokemon in the tier. I also wouldn't say that Mamoswine's typing is any better than Kyurem-B's. The SR neutrality is helpful but not too applicable due to Mamoswine's subpar bulk, and the immunity to Electric is really the only thing its typing grants it (besides the pseudo resistance to Ice, which doesn't do much in practice, since most users of Ice-type moves can simply outspeed and KO Mamoswine after). On the other hand, Kyurem-B has resistances to Water-, Electric-, and Grass-type attacks, and carves a nice niche as a Dragon-type with a neutrality to Ice (allowing it to check things like Manaphy, for example). So essentially I would say that Kyurem-B actually has better typing than Mamoswine, and the stats/movepool to back it up.

Moves
I'm seeing Superpower as the primary slash in the fourth slot, as it hits the most relevant things for the most relevant damage (Ferrothorn, Washtom). In fact, I (and the general QC consensus) would like to see Knock Off removed as a slash and simply mentioned in moves, as its targets are very specific (limited to blanket over Shed Shell Skarmory and non-Mega Slowbro and...Bronzong?). If you're looking for a second slash, I'd honestly say Freeze-Dry is the best option for that since it's more general coverage (Washtom / Slowbro / Gyarados / Quagsire / pre-Mega Swampert) that also carries a lot of both stand-alone and luring capability. Unlike what Dice and Astroboy have said, I think SR deserves a mention in Moves (perhaps at the end); it's perfectly viable in the fourth slot for teams that can't fit SR elsewhere.

"Ice Shard is mandatory as it allows it to..." A grammar nitpick but the second "it" should be replaced w/ "Mamoswine" to make the sentence run more smoothly.

Set Details, Usage Tips
Looks good. Just mention that another big draw of Adamant is the ability to guarantee an OHKO on Tornadus-T after Rocks with Ice Shard. I would add a mention of double switching to the mention of VoltTurn.

Team Options
This is what I think - Additions in green, removals in red.
Mamoswine is oftenly found on offensive teams that appreciate its ability to threaten bulky Ground and Water-types if its running its mixed set, as well as pressure Heatran. Electric-types such as Mega Manectric and Thundurus appreciate its ability to pressure Ground-types, who in turn can threaten faster Grass-, Water-, and Steel-types. Magnezone can trap and eliminate Steel-types that wall it, such as Skarmory, Scizor, and Ferrothorn, while also offering Volt Switch support. Flying-types such as Mega Pinsir and Talonflame appreciates its capability to lure Rotom-W and Quagsire, while being able to and eliminate their checks such as Garchomp, Landorus-Therian, and Heatran. Mega Charizard X appreciates its ability to pressure bulky Ground-types such as Hippowdon and Landorus-T and its ability to lure Slowbro and Quagsire with Freeze-Dry. In return Mega Charizard can beat the Steel-types it struggles with. Grass-types such as Serperior appreciates its ability to remove Heatran while threatening weakening Flying-types (I'd specify here, stuff like Tornadus-T, Heatran, Altaria Togekiss, Amoonguss). It in return can break down bulky Water-types. Latios and Latios appreciate Heatran being removed, while they offer hazard removal to help Mamoswine avoid being worn down too quickly as well as take on some of its checks. Water-types such as Azumarill, Starmie, and Keldeo appreciate its ability to take on Grass-types and over their checks such as Scizor and Ferrothorn. Starmie also offers hazard removal, as well as working as a Keldeo check. (Of these, the most relevant is probably Keldeo, which can check Steels while Mamoswine lures Slowbro and threatens 'Mons like Amoonguss and Tornadus-T. Mamoswine doesn't handle Heatran any better than any other Ground-type, and definitely can't switch into Heatran.) Heatran can pressure the Steel-types that wall Mamoswine, while in turn appreciating its Mamoswine's ability to lure threats such as Rotom-W and Slowbro. Klefki provides speed control to alleviate its speed issues and forms a hazard-stack core with it if Stealth Rock is ran on it. Ferrothorn provides a switch-in to threats toward Mamoswine such as Mega Gyarados and Azumarill and Mega Scizor (Scizor beats both Ferrothorn and Mamoswine), while providing Stealth Rock or Spikes to aid in its wallbreaking.
Other Options
Remove the mention of SR here due to adding it to Moves, but write "A dedicated Stealth Rock lead set..." at the end. Also mention the surprise value of Choice Scarf in addition to its RKing capabilities.

Checks and Counters
I'd remove the mention of "Fighting-types" as both Mega Lopunny and Keldeo are already mentioned under "Revenge Killers", which already encompasses faster Pokemon that can tank an Ice Shard. If you want to mention Conkeldurr it slots into the "Priority" section. Additionally, I'd remove the mention of Mega Sableye, since it can't safely switch into Mamoswine. Of course, neither can a lot of the revenge killers, but Sableye is not the Pokemon you would place on a defensive build when thinking of checking/countering Mamoswine. I wouldn't mention Kyurem-B either, sorry Bludz; there are more relevant "RK-type" Pokemon that can switch in better and OHKO without SR. Some small nitpicks; I would put something like Starmie rather than MegaGross, since you already mention it under Steel-types, I would mention Rotom-W second rather than fourth in the "Bulky Water-types" category, and if you're gonna mention stuff like Mega Metagross and Excadrill, also mention Jirachi as a Steel-type that can switch into an Ice-type attack and outspeed and KO Mamoswine.

After all of this, QC 3/3!

Threw

cohiba
Amcheck :toast:

Add
Remove Comment

[OVERVIEW]

Mamoswine is a solid wallbreaker in OU thanks to its great Attack combined with a excellent dual STABs offensive typing, making it difficult for many teams to switch into it. Its typing coupled with decent overall bulk allows it to work as a great check to common Electric-types in the tier. A decent ability in Thick Fat also gives it valuable resistances to Ice and Fire-type moves and grants it better opportunities to switch in. However, Mamoswine sits at a low speed tier that, in tandem with relatively low bulk, leaves it as a glass cannon that can't outpace premier OU threats. It also faces competition from Weavile, who boasts a better speed tier,(RC) as well as a STAB Knock Off, but Mamoswine has a more useful Ground-typing as well as more power and bulk. It also faces further competition from Kyurem-Black,(AC) who has much more bulk and versatility,(RC) while having a solid niche as the only special-based Ice-type in OU and having a much wider movepool. Lastly, it struggles to break past certain Steel-types such as Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Mega Scizor.

[SET]
name: Wallbreaker
move 1: Ice Shard
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Icicle Crash
move 4: Superpower / Freeze-Dry / Stealth Rock
item: Life Orb
ability: Thick Fat
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Ice Shard is mandatory,(AC) as it allows Mamoswine to revenge kill Flying-, Dragon-, and Grass-types,(AC) such as Tornadus-Therian, Mega Altaria, and Serperior,(AC) and pick off weakened threats. Earthquake is its most powerful STAB move and offers nice coverage in tandem with its Ice-type attacks STAB (redundancy/repetition). Icicle Crash has great coverage along with beside Earthquake with a decent flinch chance,(RC) but has imperfect accuracy. Superpower allows Mamoswine to lure more physically-invested Ferrothorn who that otherwise walls Mamoswine. (I'm assuming you're using the plural Ferrothorn) Knock Off is a decent option,(AC) as it allows Mamoswine to remove items from its few switch-ins to aid in wallbreaking and cripple said switch-ins for the rest of the match. Freeze-Dry gives Mamoswine the capability to lure bulky Water-types that it otherwise struggles with. Stealth Rock can be used for Mamoswine to act as an offensive entry hazard setter,(RC) due to its ability to threaten common setters such as Garchomp, Heatran, and Landorus-Therian.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and Speed investment allows Mamoswine to hit as hard and fast as possible. A Jolly Nature allows Mamoswine to outspeed Bisharp, Breloom, and Timid Heatran. An Adamant Nature could be ran run for a considerable increase in power,(RC) such as exemplified by having a high chance to 2HKO Skarmory with Icicle Crash and Mega Scizor with Earthquake,(RC) as well as OHKOing Tornadus-Therian with Ice Shard after Stealth Rock, but at the expense of failing to outspeed the aforementioned threats. Thick Fat is the ability of choice,(AC) as if it gives Mamoswine the capability to work as a check to certain Electric-types and come in on some Ice- and Fire-type moves. Life Orb bolsters Mamoswine's overall power. If running Freeze-Dry,(AC) a spread of 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe along with a Naughty or Naive Nature gives it the ability to 2HKO Rotom-W and Slowbro, whom Mamoswine otherwise struggles with.

Usage Tips
========

It's best to utilize Mamoswine as an early- to mid-game wallbreaker. Mamoswine can be used to pressure common entry hazard setters such as Landorus-Therian and Heatran,(AC) as well as hazard removers,(AC) through it's STAB combination and power. Utilize Accompany Mamoswine through with (think this is what you were getting at) use of Volt Switch and U-Turn or double switching, as its bulk is decent at best. Good prediction is neccessary to maximize Mamoswine's potential due to its below average speed.

Team Options
========

Mamoswine is oftenly found on offensive teams that appreciate its ability to threaten bulky Ground- and Water-types and pressure Heatran if its running with its mixed set,(RC) as well as pressure Heatran. Electric-types such as Mega Manectric and Thundurus appreciate its ability to pressure Ground-types, who in turn can threaten faster Grass and Steel-types. (this sentence really confuses me. who is theatening faster grass and steel types? ground types don't threaten faster grass types, pretty sure mamo loses to both of those and i don't think the two electrics handle them super well either. maybe it's just me but, again, super confused) Magnezone can trap and eliminate Skarmory, Scizor, and Ferrothorn,(RC) while also offering Volt Switch support. Flying-types such as Mega Pinsir and Talonflame appreciates its capability to lure Rotom-W and Quagsire and eliminate checks such as Garchomp, Landorus-Therian, and Heatran. Mega Charizard X appreciate's its ability to pressure bulky Ground-types such as Hippowdon and Landorus-T and its ability to lure Slowbro and Quagsire with Freeze-Dry. In return,(AC) Mega Charizard X can beat the Steel-types it struggles with. Serperior appreciates its Mamoswine's ability to threaten Tornadus-Therian, Mega Altaria, Heatran, and Amoonguss. It,(AC) in return,(AC) can break down bulky Water-types. Heatran can pressure the Steel-types that wall Mamoswine,(RC) while in turn appreciating Mamoswine's taking advantage of its (really just repetition stuff) ability to lure threats such as Rotom-W and Slowbro. Klefki provides speed control to alleviate its speed issues and forms a hazard-stacking (i'm gonna leave this because "entry-hazard-stacking" sounds weird D:) core with it if Stealth Rock is run ran on it. Ferrothorn provides a switch-in against foes that threaten to threats toward Mamoswine,(AC) such as Mega Gyarados and Azumarill,(AC) while providing Stealth Rock or Spikes to aid in its wallbreaking.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Icicle Spear can be ran run to by pass bypass Focus Sash and Substitute users as well as Multiscale Dragonite and Yache Berry users. Choice Scarf gives Mamoswine better revenge-killing capabilities and a surprise factor at the expense of power and the inability to change its moves. A dedicated Stealth Rock lead set utilizing Focus Sash and Endeavor can be used with Oblivious as it's ability.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Priority**:_Azumarill, Scizor, and Breloom can all threaten it Mamoswine with their super effective priority. Breloom,(AC) however,(AC) is more situational depending upon whether it's running Focus Sash and if whether Mamoswine is Adamant. Mamoswine also takes a large chunk of damage from Bisharp's Sucker Punch and Brave Bird from Talonflame Talonflame's Brave Bird.

**Revenge Killers**:_Due to it's low speed tier,(AC) it's easily outsped by more offensively-oriented teams,(RC) and fast, hard-hitting Pokemon that can tank an Ice Shard,(AC) such as Mega Lopunny, Conkeldurr, Starmie, Keldeo, and Mega Diancie.

**Bulky Water-types**:_Slowbro, Rotom-Wash, Manaphy, and Quagsire can easily tank either of its Mamoswine's typical STAB attacks and wear it down through with their own respective STAB attacks or status effects. However, this can be circumvented through the use of Freeze-Dry. (this might be overly subjective, but i don't like this use of "through" by itself, so i'm either replacing it with "with" or inserting "the use of" after it)

** Steel-types**: Skarmory and Ferrothorn are big trouble for it Mamoswine. as Skarmory is immune to Earthquake and can tank an Icicle Crash and retaliate with Iron Head or Counter,(AC). and Ferrothorn is hit neutrally by its Mamoswine's STABs attacks and takes a chunk of damage from them, but it can wear it down through with Leech Seed or KO it with Gyro Ball. Mega Metagross can outrun Mamoswine then KO it with Meteor Mash,(AC) and Klefki can use Magnet Rise to avoid Earthquake and chip away at it. Scizor can weaken it through with Bullet Punch. Excadrill and Jirachi can outspeed it as well as and KO it with Iron Head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)