Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 68 Def / 248 HP / 136 Sdef / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Knock off/Toxic

I tried this set out as. Its bulky on both sides and is usually unexpected and can spam plenty of knock offs (or toxics). The speed evs are to outspeed 4 ev invested Rotom and the rest is to make it bulky from the special side while still being able to take a hit or two on the physical side. Anyone else tried a specially defensive version? any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I don't think Toxic should be slash with Defog on the main set in the OP, as Defog does wonders, and breaks Screens, very very good. Especially when combined with Roost and Foul Play.

I have a stall team and played against a Mandibuzz with Knock Off, it's a huge pain as they used it is a lead and I couldn't switch anything I had in comfortably from the off (Eviolite Chansey, Leftovers Klefki, two Choice users that I enjoy Switcheroo or Trick on). Knock Off really is quick nice, and Defog makes things even better.

So what is the recommended EV spread for a Specially Defensive Mandibuzz to help it take on the common Special attackers of OU? Thinking of running one alongside a Hippowdon with a moveset of Knock Off/Toxic/Roost/Taunt.

So what is the recommended EV spread for a Specially Defensive Mandibuzz to help it take on the common Special attackers of OU? Thinking of running one alongside a Hippowdon with a moveset of Knock Off/Toxic/Roost/Taunt.
Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 60 Spd / 248 HP / 56 Def / 144 SDef
Careful Nature
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Taunt

This is the spread I was using as a sort of special/mixed wall. It can tank hits from both sides and has enough speed to taunt slower walls and enough bulk to take out physical threats with foul play and special hits all day and roost off the damage

Is there any particular reason a Bold nature is used over an Impish one?
If you use Foul Play, use Bold. If you're using Knock Off, use Impish. TBH you can run Impish with Foul Play, it doesn't make a big difference since Mandibuzz's Atk is so low anyway. On Wifi I use Impish even though I use Foul Play simply because I bred Knock Off onto it as well so if I ever want to try out Knock Off, I won't have to breed another one.

Its true mandibuzx is a great friend to stall and balance teams alike such as Ajwf's daunting dreadnaughts earlier stages and also it is the only pokemon i have found that can reliably come in and clear hazards against rhyperior who in my opinion is the best SR setter right now (as evidenced in my RMT defensive doge hidden mountain shameless promotion aside) and can easily wall a majority of the physical threats in the meta.

I am personally a bit uneasy about using Mandibuzz as the defogger though, may be it better fits a pure tank instead of a more support-oriented position.

I am personally a bit uneasy about using Mandibuzz as the defogger though, may be it better fits a pure tank instead of a more support-oriented position.
Its only threatening attacks are Foul Play (because it doesn't use its own terrible attack stat) and Knock Off (because it removes items, not from the damage) and since Roost is practically mandatory it'd be insane to run both of them at once, and it requires at least one of them to not be complete taunt/set-up bait.

Really, its two support moves should be determined by what your team needs. If you don't have a Spinner or a Defogger, you'd want Defog, if you don't have a phazer (or would just enjoy a second) you'd want Whirlwind, and Taunt is also useful.

Is there any particular reason a Bold nature is used over an Impish one?
It minimizes damage from confusion.

...Extremely situational, but since it doesn't hurt, people generally grab it. I use Chlorophyll on my Mega Venusaur, Whirlwind on Skarmory(for soundproofers), and black sludge on my Tentacruel for the rare but possible occasions that they'll come in handy. Even if there is is only a tiny upside, it still outweighs and non-existent downside.

It shouldn't matter in Wi-Fi too much if it makes breeding more difficult for you.

This is my Mandibuzz set:

Satsuki (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spd
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Toxic
- Foul Play

I have a MegaAbsol on my team so I decided to forgo Taunt on Mandi. Replacing it with Toxic made her a lot more anti-wall and I love the results. Nothing wants to switch in on a Knock Off or Toxic! I recently played a 92-turn match where I won against the cheapest team in the world (Harvest Trev, Klefi w/ Swagger, Heatran, and a resttalk Poliwrath). I only won because of Toxic.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-72841503

That team didn't seem particularly cheap aside from Klefki. I'd like to point out, though, that Taunt shuts down RestTalk Poliwrath a lot faster than Toxic...?

Gimmicky Set coming in:

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP | 208 Def | 52 Spd or 248 HP | 252 Def | 8 Sp. Def
- Nasty Plot
- Snarl
- Air Slash
- Roost

That's all I can think of. Yep.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There are 75 other Pokemon that can learn Nasty Plot. You can literally use every single one of them and they'll do better than Mandibuzz.

If you want a bulky Nasty Plot user you're much better off with Mew or Togekiss.

Mandibuzz just has no business using attacks that aren't Knock Off or Foul Play.

This is my Mandibuzz set:

Satsuki (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 Spd
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Toxic
- Foul Play

I have a MegaAbsol on my team so I decided to forgo Taunt on Mandi. Replacing it with Toxic made her a lot more anti-wall and I love the results. Nothing wants to switch in on a Knock Off or Toxic! I recently played a 92-turn match where I won against the cheapest team in the world (Harvest Trev, Klefi w/ Swagger, Heatran, and a resttalk Poliwrath). I only won because of Toxic.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-72841503
That team is not cheap. All Pokes on his team use perfectly viable sets. Klefki did not play parafusion. His playstyle is semi stall so you bash him at the end is not exactly nice of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)