Max Raid Discussion Thread

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
So many people are going to get witness the glory of seeing Magikarp using Max-Geyser. XD
It does a flip, freezes in mid air facing away from the opponent, and fires out of the corner of its mouth backwards to somehow hit the target.
By the way, congrats to anyone that somehow looses to this raid by accident. I'm not sure if there's anything more pathetic you could ever do, but if there is, I bet you can do it.

How common is the shiny Magikarp raid event? I’ve gotten 4 so far, 3 of mine and joined another. Not complaining though
According to Serebii, dens that have an event raid have a an 8% chance of having a Shiny Magikarp and a 52% chance of having a normal Magikarp, so 2 in 15 are Shiny. (This isn't counting the odds of a "Non-Shiny" Magikarp happening to be shiny, which I'm guessing can happen.) The Guarantee Shiny Magikarp all have Square Sparkles, so if you get one with Star Sparkles you got lucky but no one will think it's special.

So many people are going to get witness the glory of seeing Magikarp using Max-Geyser. XD
It does a flip, freezes in mid air facing away from the opponent, and fires out of the corner of its mouth backwards to somehow hit the target.
By the way, congrats to anyone that somehow looses to this raid by accident. I'm not sure if there's anything more pathetic you could ever do, but if there is, I bet you can do it.

According to Serebii, dens that have an event raid have a an 8% chance of having a Shiny Magikarp and a 52% chance of having a normal Magikarp, so 2 in 15 are Shiny. (This isn't counting the odds of a "Non-Shiny" Magikarp happening to be shiny, which I'm guessing can happen.) The Guarantee Shiny Magikarp all have Square Sparkles, so if you get one with Star Sparkles you got lucky but no one will think it's special.
Gotcha. I just think it’s cool how they have 5 perfect IV’s and they’re shiny.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Gotcha. I just think it’s cool how they have 5 perfect IV’s and they’re shiny.
5 IVs? I thought 4 was the max guarantee. (It can be more than the 4 guarntee ones if the random ones happen to also be 31.) It wouldn't surprise me if they made these Magikarp have 5 to make them even more special or to make up for being a Magikarp.

Something I just realized is I think this is the first Shiny Pokemon event that lets you get multiple Shiny Pokemon per save file. Now I kind of want to catch four shiny Magikarp just for collection purposes. (Two to keep as Magikarp and two to evolve into Gyrados and the reason I want two of each because of gender differences.)

Ok, I just had extra bit of luck. I caught 5 star Magicarp (sadly non-shiny). Nothing special, right? Well, it turns out it has 6 IVs AND it´s hidden ability. Shininess would just be icing on the cake, but I guess you can´t have all. It´s Sassy, so Mint would be needed, but he is now training to become super-strong Gyarados.

And will probably in the future father many babies.

Ok, I just had extra bit of luck. I caught 5 star Magicarp (sadly non-shiny). Nothing special, right? Well, it turns out it has 6 IVs AND it´s hidden ability. Shininess would just be icing on the cake, but I guess you can´t have all. It´s Sassy, so Mint would be needed, but he is now training to become super-strong Gyarados.

And will probably in the future father many babies.
I had the opposite: minimum raid rewards in candy and the big nugget. No other nuggets. You are about 4x more likely to get a natural shiny than getting only a big nugget from a 5 star event magikarp raid according to serebii’s odds and my math.

5 IVs? I thought 4 was the max guarantee. (It can be more than the 4 guarntee ones if the random ones happen to also be 31.) It wouldn't surprise me if they made these Magikarp have 5 to make them even more special or to make up for being a Magikarp.
I think these event ones are 5IV guaranteed for 5* raids. I got a bunch of 5IV Delibirds from that event too... not sure if it applies to the G-max events though. I haven't done enough 5* of those to notice, I guess.

Has there been much research done with the catch rate of Max Raid Battles? I've seen some tables from Serebii and Youtube, but those don't seem to match what my actual experience was. For instance

• Event GMax Pokemon (Host) are said to have the ~20 catch rate -> or ~30% chance of catching it with a Repeat Ball. Though I usually am able to get them like 60+% of the time (haven't recorded them, but just from empirical experience). In the beginning I would soft-reset too, and 90+% of the time would get it in the 2nd try. Only once did I ever have to do 3 times.
  • Event GMax Pokemon (Guest) are said to have the 3 catch rate -> or a ~9% chance of catching it with a Repeat Ball. I've done quite a few, and have been able to catch them well over half the time
  • Non-Event GMax Pokemon (Guest) are said to have the 3 catch rate. That's pretty consistent, I haven't actually been able to catch even one out of the few I've done.
  • Serebii also shows that for non-event GMax, it's not guaranteed catch if you invite other players, but is guaranteed if you solo. Has anyone hosted a non-event GMax that broke out after inviting players?
    • Issue is that I would love to give other players a chance to fight the GMax I find, but I also can easily solo them, so it's not worth the risk if there is any at all.

[*]Serebii also shows that for non-event GMax, it's not guaranteed catch if you invite other players, but is guaranteed if you solo. Has anyone hosted a non-event GMax that broke out after inviting players?
  • Issue is that I would love to give other players a chance to fight the GMax I find, but I also can easily solo them, so it's not worth the risk if there is any at all.
[/LIST]
Even if you host and the mon escapes you can just hit tge home button and close the software without saving and reload. You can do it as many times as you care to invite people. You need to make sure that auto-save is OFF and that it's not about to roll over to the next day on your switch's clock and change the raid mon, but otherwise as long as you don't save after winning the raid (whether you catch or not) you're good.

Last edited:
I rarely see the purple beam ones and see a bunch of the red ones.
But how many purple beam den do u get in compare to red ones?
I disided to take all the red ones out first and the purple for last but it seems to have disapeared

I rarely see the purple beam ones and see a bunch of the red ones.
But how many purple beam den do u get in compare to red ones?
I disided to take all the red ones out first and the purple for last but it seems to have disapeared
It's actually a fixed ratio. Each respawn consists in 7 red + 1 purple.

You can force a respawn by taking out all your active raids.

It's actually a fixed ratio. Each respawn consists in 7 red + 1 purple.

You can force a respawn by taking out all your active raids.
Related to this, joining a raid via Y-Comm counts, and each completed raid done in this manner will clear one red beam (at random, as far as I can tell). It will not, however, clear a purple beam if one exists in your game (again, as far as I can tell), so you still have to hunt that one down the hard way. And if you've already done this so that there are only red beams left in your game, then spam Y-Comm raids, you'll eventually clear all your beams and make the game refresh the dens as usual.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Max raid battles were personally one of my favorite additions to the games. I have some reasons too!

For starters, if you end up under leveled like me, you can do some to get candies to help you catch up. Trust me, these candies saved me lot's of time and sanity. Granted, I only use them to stay at the level everyone else is. I don't use them to become over leveled.

I dunno if this happens with everyone, but Game Freak was so nice that they make more dyanamax dens have max raid battles after you do one. Which I'm glad they learned from their mistakes in the past (like for example, in gen 4 if you didn't get a Mon you wanted from a honey tree, have fun waiting for ANOTHER 6-24 real time hours!) Which of course makes it all the more convenient.

The whole difficulty option of stars is also a wonderful addition. It's kinda like a difficulty mode where you can choose how hard it'll be. 1 and 2 stars are pathetic (easy mode in a sense) 3 and 4 stars are moderate (normal mode in a sense) and 5 stars is always going to be annoying, but you'll want to keep trying anyways for the rewards. (Like hard mode in a sense)

The whole events thing was always pretty cool. Like the shiny magikarp event or gigantamax snorlax event! They make them all the more interesting and rewarding!

Lastly, the battles in themselves are awesome. You have 3 allies helping you take on a strong dynamax/gigantamax Pokemon, you have the option to dynamax/gigantamax your Pokemon yourself, they have a health bar, gimmicks to make it harder like barriers or removing stats (and who DOESN'T want challenge?), and you always have the option of catching the Pokemon you fought after beating it, but the game doesn't force you to. I usually catch them anyways unless I'm playing the game in a special way.

Of course though you don't have to agree... But I personally really like them.

About an hour ago, I saw a Max Raid invite featuring Necrozma at the Lake of Outrage, but was unable to participate when I tried to investigate. Was that a glitch or is there a new event going on now? It just seemed really weird to me.

About an hour ago, I saw a Max Raid invite featuring Necrozma at the Lake of Outrage, but was unable to participate when I tried to investigate. Was that a glitch or is there a new event going on now? It just seemed really weird to me.
Hacked raids, been going around recently apparently. Note that some, like many mythicals or shiny forms currently only available in cherish balls, won't even technically be legal if caught.

Well everybody wake up! We got raid overload!

Toxtricty is throwing a wild party and brought a ton of friends to run wild in the wild area. Kingler, Hatterene, Orbeetle, and Grimmsnarl are all out and about. Milcrey is also still around till the 16th. Orbeetle and Hatterene are shield exclusives while Grimmsnarl and Kingler are sword. Shield also gets low key gmax toxtricity while sword gets High key.

My main game is Shield. I jumped into my Sword game just to check if I can get some of the exclusives without needing to rely on low-catch-rate stamps.

Then I caught two Gigantmax Kingler and they're both perfect 5IV ones (no SpA), one with and one without the Hidden Ability. I am meant to use this GMax, clearly. Good, now I have something to build a team around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)