May 7* Raid Event: Tera Rock Chesnaught

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
View attachment 516134
I've been playing the online circuit lately and Azumarill has been doing pretty well at not dying, with more tolerant lobbies than I expected. I have noted that a lot of setuppers are usually self sufficient in setting up their own debuffs so I've gone Charm over Tickle for more burst, but I've also still preferred keeping Mud-Slap around. The problem plaguing failed teams in my experience is that some frail mons can just die very easily and so Mud-Slap can give them at least a fighting chance to not get chipped down over time. I ended up switching my Azumarill around to Water Tera for the extra damage contribution just in case I need to be self sufficient, but still haven't re-EV'd it yet so it's still at mostly minimum SpA.

I wanted to make note of this because I just played a very passive raid squad with Sableye (Will-O-Wisp/Taunt/Hex/?) and Vaporeon (Acid Armor/Stored Power/Hydro Pump/Waterfall) with an AI Mudsdale where Azumarill did need to go into action as a DPS. I did manage to get a Fake Tears up early seeing that the others had it handled on the physical side, but Sableye and Vaporeon ended up dying pretty soon and the shield went up early. I got 3 Mud-Slaps off and then went for tera Chilling Water spam while Sableye spammed Hex and Vaporeon started pushing out some tera Hydro Pumps to also help chip the shield. Against all odds we somehow broke through the shield, I put up the last Fake Tears while Sableye put up burn again, and he also managed to Taunt Chesnaught's Bulk Up.

View attachment 516135

At this point it was pretty much a DPS race with very little offense to speak of on our end. Vaporeon kept using Waterfall instead of Stored Power, and I think the Sableye ended up running out of Hex PP, but in the end we managed to watch the final blow land as the timer drained to nothing. Overall I would say Mud-Slap was a reason we won this raid and also having (special) tera STAB can kind of make up for low offenses as long as you can survive to use it.
View attachment 516136View attachment 516137
Been thinking, what do you think of Tera Fighting Tera Blast > Mud Slap (or Chilling Water)?

Gives you the power kick to DPS and I think Fighting is Arguably better than Grass because Azu has Sap Sipper to eat Wood Hammers on all but the wipe turns and you still get neutral to Ground/Fighting but gain Rock Resistance. Only downside is not getting Terrain boosted when people bring Arboliva but that’s pretty minor.

Been thinking, what do you think of Tera Fighting Tera Blast > Mud Slap (or Chilling Water)?

Gives you the power kick to DPS and I think Fighting is Arguably better than Grass because Azu has Sap Sipper to eat Wood Hammers on all but the wipe turns and you still get neutral to Ground/Fighting but gain Rock Resistance. Only downside is not getting Terrain boosted when people bring Arboliva but that’s pretty minor.
In my experience tera Fighting was slightly helpful to blunt Stone Edges occasionally, but I usually found that Azumarill could survive well enough without it anyway unless you got some unfortunate double crits, so for DPS purposes I would still prefer Tera Water just for the extra tera STAB boost in general, and then you also have the choice of Surf or Liquidation from there for more flexibility. I wouldn't count it out but you need to spend a few turns supporting/attacking to tera, so you won't have the defensive boost for when you're taking the most damage in those early turns anyway.

As a sidenote, for a little while the HOME calendar accidentally revealed that the next raid was supposed to be Delphox this week. Oh well.
1684781056856.png

Is it just physically impossible to fix the paradox raids while running other raids??

what is going on over there at gamefreak

Is it just physically impossible to fix the paradox raids while running other raids??

It's likely that they want Chesnaught to get its rerun before they send out the next one, because I'm pretty sure the game isn't designed to accept 2 7 star raids at once.

It's likely that they want Chesnaught to get its rerun before they send out the next one, because I'm pretty sure the game isn't designed to accept 2 7 star raids at once.
They should have just pulled the Paradox raids and left the Chesnaught raid since it was working as normal. Or, if they HAD to pull everything, just push Chesnaught out again right away

i mean honestly that just has me say this again:

Sounds like their goal is to have both Paradox raids and Chesnaught run at the same time, no matter what. It's stupid, just run Chesnaught again so we can get to Delphox already. The Paradox Donphans are non-essential.

Sounds like their goal is to have both Paradox raids and Chesnaught run at the same time, no matter what. It's stupid, just run Chesnaught again so we can get to Delphox already. The Paradox Donphans are non-essential.
Probably because they wanted to run the Volcaronas alongside Delphox.

• Wow
Reactions: CPU
Chesnaught’s coming back. Now that we have Pokémon from Home to use for raids, what are your new strategies?

Iron Defense Magearna’s likely gonna be an easy solo pick.
Personally, I plan to use a Normal-type Pokemon that has the letters A, R, and U in its name to send Chesnaught off for good.

Chesnaught’s coming back. Now that we have Pokémon from Home to use for raids, what are your new strategies?
Personally I think I'll just have some fun looking at what kind of legendary failures people will come up with....
People were already just randomly bringing miraidon/koraidon to raids and expecting to win just off BSTs, can't wait to see the random mewtwo/rayquaza/etc...

That said... I think I may try my luck with Palkia here. Great bulk, stab that hits supereffectively, what can go wrong.

I cannot believe it took them 3 weeks to fix this issue.

It was beyond stupid that they didn't just rerun Chesnaught separately too, no they had to delay EVERYTHING

Since I already caught one the first time around I'm going to see if I can solo this with Galarian Zapdos, because I like Galarian Zapdos.

I don't think I have any good recovery options, but if I get an Intimidate partner Bulk Up + Thunderous Kick might do the trick.

I got Chesnaught last time and built an Espathra that could Solo it, so I'll probably go raiding with that for loot. That said, it's a drag to KO even with consistency, so I see myself focusing more on Tusk and Treads since I don't have Battle-able versions of either yet and they definitely benefit from a variety of Tera options

Since I already caught one the first time around I'm going to see if I can solo this with Galarian Zapdos, because I like Galarian Zapdos.

I don't think I have any good recovery options, but if I get an Intimidate partner Bulk Up + Thunderous Kick might do the trick.
Thinking of it, I think Galarian Zapdos and Galarian Articuno are likely to have some insane potential for raids. Defiant / Competitive go brrrrrr (and Articuno even has stab stored power + recovery, basically a better slowbro)

Thinking of it, I think Galarian Zapdos and Galarian Articuno are likely to have some insane potential for raids. Defiant / Competitive go brrrrrr (and Articuno even has stab stored power + recovery, basically a better slowbro)
I’d say both Mew and Galarian Slowking are the best Stored Power users in the game since they also have Acid Spray. You AS 3 times which immediately puts you in Tera range. -6 SpDef on the enemy Pokémon and +6 SpA on yours also results in Stored Power dealing more damage than a Stored Power at +6 SpA and +6 SpDef against a neutral SpDef enemy.

I caught and trained up a shiny appletun I never got to use for this raid, and by god I'm gonna use it DAMNIT.

Magearna with just about any raid solo seems absolutely insane. Soul Heart boosts for days! Once I've had enough apple pie, I might give mine a break from the infinite money turbo controller factory (seriously: magearna is AMAZING for the turbo controller tournament farm) and let her solo a Chesnaught.

Also, this fella got hatched once home dropped and I had my old friend ball Chespin from USUM, so I guess I ought to counter Chesnaught with Chesnaught sometime before it ends.

1686188264625.png

I cannot believe it took them 3 weeks to fix this issue.

It was beyond stupid that they didn't just rerun Chesnaught separately too, no they had to delay EVERYTHING
It didn't though? The event was on the 19th/20th of May, it took two weeks, not three.

It didn't though? The event was on the 19th/20th of May, it took two weeks, not three.
Sorry my bad it took 2.5 weeks, for a rerun of the event that wont hit until next week.
Which will wind up being 4 weeks out from the time the initial issue occurred!

not great on any front, and I'm choosing to be optimistic that they'll announce Delphox tomorrow or something so there isn't a full 3 weeks where event raids were dead because we HAD to, we must, have the chesnaught rerun & the paradoxes before doing anything else.

Kyogre 2TK vs Chesnaught

:Kyogre:
Kyogre @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse

:girafarig:
Girafarig @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Skill Swap
- Helping Hand

:girafarig:
Girafarig @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
Tera Type: Normal
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Power Swap

:leafeon:
Leafeon @ w/e
Ability: Leaf Guard
Tera Type: Grass
Bold Nature
- Fake Tears
- Helping Hand

T1: Girafarig Skill Swaps Sap Sipper onto Kyogre, other Girafarig Nasty Plots, Leafeon Fake Tears, Kyogre Attack Cheers (wait for Sap Sipper Skill Swap)

T2: +2 Girafarig Power Swaps Kyogre, other Girafarig / Leafeon Helping Hand Kyogre, Kyogre Water Spouts Chesnaught. If AI accounts for Sap Sipper and uses Hammer Arm or Stone Edge, use Origin Pulse.

+2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Helping Hand Atk Cheer Water Spout (150 BP) vs. -2 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Rock Chesnaught in Rain: 15324-18030 (138.1 - 162.5% of 35x hp boss) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Helping Hand Atk Cheer Origin Pulse vs. -2 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Rock Chesnaught in Rain: 11238-13224 (101.2 - 119.1% of 35x hp boss) -- guaranteed OHKO

Dialga 1TK vs Chesnaught

:dialga:/ :dialga-origin:
Dialga @ Adamant Orb / Adamant Crystal
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Steel Beam

:perrserker:
3x
Perrserker @ Focus Sash
Ability: Steely Spirit
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Tears

252+ SpA Adamant Orb Dialga with 3 Steely Spirits Steel Beam vs. -6 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Rock Chesnaught: 11568-13610 (104.2 - 122.6% of 35x hp boss) -- guaranteed OHKO​

Last edited:

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I caught and trained up a shiny appletun I never got to use for this raid, and by god I'm gonna use it DAMNIT.

Magearna with just about any raid solo seems absolutely insane. Soul Heart boosts for days! Once I've had enough apple pie, I might give mine a break from the infinite money turbo controller factory (seriously: magearna is AMAZING for the turbo controller tournament farm) and let her solo a Chesnaught.

Also, this fella got hatched once home dropped and I had my old friend ball Chespin from USUM, so I guess I ought to counter Chesnaught with Chesnaught sometime before it ends.

View attachment 523912
Whats this?

Whats this?
It's literally put yourself at the "league" tournament with a lead pokemon that can stomp all the trainers with a spammable move in first slot (es, draining kiss for magearna), put turbo controller to spam confirm, enjoy free money

I use Sylveon as my dedicated ACE farmer. OHKOes almost everything outside some bulky resists and SpDef tanks like Penny's own Sylveon:

:sylveon:
Sylveon @ Amulet Coin
Ability: Pixilate
Tera Type: w/e
EVs: 56 Def / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice

Outspeeds Penny's Jolteon.

Oh, look. It's everyone's favorite cat:

:landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Mud-Slap
- Sandsear Storm
- Rain Dance

We finally have an Intimidate mon that matches up well into Chesnaught, with all the ones before it being weak to at least one of Chesnaught's moves (Gyarados weak to Stone Edge, Arcanine weak to Stone Edge and Earthquake, etc). This Lando-T set revolves around completely bullying the boss for your teammates in random raids. The boss will automatically start at -1 Attack thanks to Intimidate, Mud-Slap will lower its accuracy, Taunt prevents it from using its setup moves, and Sandsear Storm will burn Chesnaught through shield. The 80 accuracy on Sandsear Storm sounds bad until you realize it has perfect accuracy in Rain, which is what Rain Dance is for. You could alternatively drop Taunt or Mud-Slap for Nasty Plot to boost Lando's SpA and run a Modest nature for a more offensive approach to this set if you want.

:mewtwo:
Mewtwo @ Sitrus Berry / Light Clay
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Guard Swap
- Taunt
- Helping Hand / Life Dew / Reflect / Will-O-Wisp / Earth Power

See a lot of Annihilape, Iron Hands, and other physical mons being used against a Defense-boosting boss like Chesnaught? Cool, just steal that initial Iron Defense boost to help your physical teammates out. Using Mewtwo as a support just sounds funny af

While people are bringing Arceus and Ursaluna to the Chesnaught raids, personally I prefer the mons that have to push the limits of their performance, and that's why I'm welcoming Chesnaught back with an Azurill solo to bring it full circle and show that even the mon with the 3rd lowest BST in the game can win just as well as any other mon when it comes to this raid event.

1686877036226.png
1686877042885.png

My Azurill set is very similar to my Marill set but with some slight differences. Like Marill, Azurill runs Eviolite with max Def/SpA EVs and the remainder in HP. Sap Sipper was bred from my Azumarill but Azurill doesn't have the same grass weakness so it's less vulnerable when abilities are disabled. The main difference is that I went for the natural Fairy tera and Draining Kiss over Rain Dance instead of running the same water tera + Rain Dance multiplier stacking. I went this harder route because Azurill would take a longer time to KO Chesnaught either way without the natural Water STAB boost, and Draining Kiss provided a consistent source of strong healing that prevented random crits from ending the run.

Compared to Marill, Azurill has the same 20 in both offenses but is less bulky and slower overall. Even with 20 base speed, my uninvested Azurill ended up outspeeding Chesnaught after -4 speed drops. Chesnaught still seems to open up with Wood Hammer either way so Azurill can get at least a Charm in early on and that's usually enough to get going.

1686877496818.png

The scariest threat Chesnaught has is a crit Stone Edge, but Azurill has room to survive it and make a comeback with Draining Kiss in return. Terastallization puts Draining Kiss up to 60BP, and the super STAB boost lets it heal fairly well through the shield and 75% healing allows it to almost fully heal even when coming from the red.

-6 0 Atk Tera Rock Chesnaught Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Azurill on a critical hit: 153-180 (63.2 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tera Fairy Azurill Draining Kiss (60 BP) vs. -6 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Rock Chesnaught: 284-336 (2.5 - 3% of 35x hp boss) -- possibly the worst move ever
1686877253799.png

Azurill's performance was consistent enough, but the success of the solo actually came down to the AI's contributions. On my first run I had an entirely physical team and ran out of PP by the end. On my second run I had both Clodsire and Dudunsparce wasting most of their time spamming their status moves against the shield and I ran out of time instead. The third and successful run featured Haxorus, Corviknight, and most importantly Arcanine who was one of the most important supporters with Leer, Intimidate, and a burn through shield early on that helped to lessen the death threshold of Stone Edge.

1686877636979.png

252+ SpA Tera Fairy Azurill Surf vs. -6 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Rock Chesnaught: 426-502 (3.8 - 4.5% of 35x hp boss) -- possibly the worst move ever

My general game plan was to get all Charms and Fake Tears off and then just chip away at Chesnaught's HP. Against the shield, Draining Kiss does more damage after the 0.3x/0.7x non-matching/matching tera multipliers, but it also takes more ingame time to play the HP drain messages and the tera animation, so generally I tried to spam Surf. I used 2 attack boost cheers on the shield phase and saved one for afterwards since I felt like the multiplier would add the most damage after the shield, but also the shield phase felt like it was taking the most effort to break through. I had used some PP Ups after the first attempt, but in this run I didn't even need them since the base PP of each move was enough for the kill, which goes to show the variance that AI can have on runs when their damage output is actually relatively helpful.

1686877652435.png

Goodbye Chesnaught.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)