Metagame Mega Evolution in Sun & Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Mega Evolution
*approved by Subject 18

Mega Evolution, a mechanic introduced in the previous generation, is still a potent tool in Sun & Moon. Having one Pokemon with massive stats and usually a powerful ability to boot can be the difference between winning and losing. Teams can be built around Mega Pokemon, or they can be the glue that just makes an already good team work that much better.

However, there were a few changes to Mega Evolution this generation. The most notable and obvious one being that some Mega stones are currently unavailable in Sun and Moon. Since items cannot be transferred through PokeBank, even come January when our XY Pokemon can be migrated to SM, their Mega Stones won't follow. Here is a list of available and unavailable Mega Pokemon:

Absol, Aerodactyl, Alakazam, Audino, Beedrill, Blastoise, Charizard (X&Y), Garchomp, Gengar (banned), Glalie, Gyarados, Heracross, Houndoom, Kangaskhan (Banned), Lucario (Banned), Mawile, Medicham, Metagross (banned), Mewtwo (X&Y)(banned), Pidgeot, Pinsir, Rayquaza (banned), Sableye, Salamence (Banned), Scizor, Sharpedo, Slowbro, Steelix, Venusaur

Abomasnow, Aggron, Altaria, Ampharos, Banette, Blaziken, Camerupt, Diancie, Gallade, Gardevoir, Latias, Latios, Lopunny, Manectric, Sceptile, Swampert, Tyranitar

The other big change we saw this Generation was how turn order is decided in relation to Mega Evolution. Before, Speed (and therefore turn order) was determined before Pokemon Mega Evolved. This meant Pokemon like Sableye could still have their status moves go first with Prankster, yet maintain Magic Bounce for the turn that they Mega Evolve. However, in Sun and Moon, Pokemon Mega Evolve before the turn order is determined. That means Mega Sableye won't have access to priority status moves on the turn that it Mega Evolves, and other Pokemon will automatically gain their Speed tiers the same turn that they Mega Evolve. This has some pretty big implications for certain Mega Evolutions; however, many of the Pokemon who benefit from this change the most (Lopunny, Beedrill, Diancie) aren't actually available in-game.

With that said, which Mega Evolutions do you think are the best in Sun and Moon so far? Discuss different Mega Pokemon, cores, and sets you've been using on the ladder below.​

Last edited:
So disappointed with the ones they cut out many of them would benefit immensely from the changes to mega evo mechanics (speed and ability on first turn now) or from the terrains. The ones they left in on the other hand are pretty boring, they're mostly things that were already good or bad and aren't really made significantly better by the new additions. Of the bunch we got I guess Mega Zam is probably the biggest beneficiary of the mega evo changes, he gets that ridiculous speed right away now and should be very deadly with Tapu Lele though I haven't tried it personally yet.

I have tried Sharpedo and Psychic Fangs on him is pretty nice, he's arguably been hurt by the mega evo mechanics changes though, you can't protect and go mega on the same turn now if you want a speed boost. Same with mega Sableye and prankster, if you want to prankster wil-o-wisp something you have to not mega evolve that turn.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
mega garchomp got fugged even harder than before ecks dee

anyways, from the available mega evolutions, metagross and alakazam gained the most from this mechanics change. metagross can safely mega evolve against threats that outrun its base forme (e.g.: non-scarf garchomp and keldeo) without worrying about getting bodied and body them in turn with a super-effective hit, whereas metagross had to either tank an attack or force something out to mega evolve safely. in contrast, alakazam no longer has to worry about certain fast revenge killers (tapu koko, tornadus-therian, weavile) killing it before it can even mega evolve, which is a nice change. of course, this doesn't mean much since aegislash is still in ou, but it's something. the real big winners from this change (swampert, diancie, beedrill, lopunny) don't have their mega stones available though...

Wait so assuming things don't change in terms of mega stone availability, we won't get to use many of the XY/ORAS mega stones in the entirety of S&M ladder/tournaments?

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
so factoring in viability and legality the total list of usable megas is something like this (viability based on how they did last gen):

Aerodactyl, Alakazam, Charizard (X&Y), Garchomp, Gyarados, Metagross, Pinsir, Sableye, Scizor, Sharpedo, Slowbro, Venusaur

Venu is feeling promising. Checking Magearna, Tapu Koko, rain (kinda), manaphy, keldeo, non esens greninja, tapu bulu, and xurkitree in one slot is just fantastic. Its a pretty mediocre mon by itself but its such an anti-meta mon right now that it works pretty well. I've been pairing it with stuff like celesteela to take on the ground and psychic types (psychics in aegi meta LUL) that can give venu trouble.

Some of these megas are used in the battle tree, like Ampharos, so I'm gussing once bank rolls out they'll start doing events to give them away. It's not like they're completely removed from the game so it's just a matter of when & how.
Still a really really stupid thing for them to do but I guess this is game freak we're talking about here.

From what I can tell, every single mega that isn't available is a Pokemon that isn't available in Alola, and every single mega that IS available is a Pokemon that IS available with the exception of Rayquaza and the Kanto starters. I don't know why they decided to do this, but I guess we'll see what happens when Bank is updated.

If you want to limit Megas make them all unavailable

Including and excluding some are ridiculous, and looking at the list there is no pattern or reason at all they included some and rejected others

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think they allowed Kanto due to having RBY from Bank.

Mega Garchomp really got dicked on the new changes. I might sound insane but poor Mega Garchomp needs a buff. Gamefreak pls.

The Speed increase is awesome for many other Megas. Mega Manectric has to be loving it when finally comes out.

Remember the Diancie hype we had at the demo? Good times, those. Anyway I've been having some fun experimenting with the Megas. MegaGross will be useful as a Fairy counter that doesn't rely on Bullet Punch, and Mega Saur is pretty much the best AntiKoko so far. Case in point: Max attack(unboosted, attack neutral nature) can't 2HKO the regular ORAS Venusaur, and Sludge Bomb/Earthquake returns the favor.

For one, Beedrill isn't listed in the OP, please fix. Speaking of Beedrill its one of the main winners of the changed mega speed mechanics and looks like a solid ou threat. It will become the premier momentum buggo once Pheromoshit and Genesect are gone. The extra moveslot is really helpful, makes it much harder to wall, and lets it run stuff like the buffed Fell stinger which I can't wait to try. Mega Metagross seems really good too, Steel is a good type what with all the influx of Fairy types. No one's mentioned Banette yet but it could possibly make waves as soon as it comes out, even with the nerf to Prankster in general, at least it can use it on the turn it goes Mega unlike Sableye.

I have tried Sharpedo and Psychic Fangs on him is pretty nice, he's arguably been hurt by the mega evo mechanics changes though, you can't protect and go mega on the same turn now if you want a speed boost.
You were never able to do that? If you're not Mega at the end of the turn you get a speed boost, simple as that, I don't think that changed at all. Mega Sharpedo benefits from the mega speed mechanics because it lets it protect up against stuff like Scarf Genesect, Scarf Lele, Scarf Hydreigon, etc. And if an opposing Charizard X predicts your Protect and Dragon Dances, you will still be able to outspeed on the next turn. Mega Sharpedo is actually really great, Psychic Fangs is prefect coverage for Keldeo, Venusaur, Toxapex, etc. and is actually stronger than Waterfall.

Also, my favourite theory is that you will be able to obtain the other Mega Stones through Pokemon Global Link when it goes live in a few months. Seems to make sense to me.

Wait so unless something changes with the availability of the mega stones for the current unavailable megas, we will never be able to use those megas in S/M? (the ones on the unavailable list)

Despite the burn nerf, I find Mega Charizard an amazing blanket check to a lot of dominant Pokemon in the current metagame. This includes the UB Beasts such as Buzzwole, Kartana, Celesteela, and even Pheromosa. It also checks the hardest hitting Tapu Bulu and the ever controversial Aegislash.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze ---> Tough Claws
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 Spe
Impish nature
-Will-O-Wisp
-Roost
-Flare Blitz
-Earthquake

This is the set I am currently using. It can take their hard hits thanks to its great bulk and fantastic defensive typing the proceed to use Will-O-Wisp to weaken physical attackers. The set is the 6th gen standard Bulky Will-O-Wisp check because I still have no idea about the crucial Speed tiers in the current meta.

Last edited:

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
For one, Beedrill isn't listed in the OP, please fix. Speaking of Beedrill its one of the main winners of the changed mega speed mechanics and looks like a solid ou threat. It will become the premier momentum buggo once Pheromoshit and Genesect are gone. The extra moveslot is really helpful, makes it much harder to wall, and lets it run stuff like the buffed Fell stinger which I can't wait to try. Mega Metagross seems really good too, Steel is a good type what with all the influx of Fairy types. No one's mentioned Banette yet but it could possibly make waves as soon as it comes out, even with the nerf to Prankster in general, at least it can use it on the turn it goes Mega unlike Sableye.

You were never able to do that? If you're not Mega at the end of the turn you get a speed boost, simple as that, I don't think that changed at all. Mega Sharpedo benefits from the mega speed mechanics because it lets it protect up against stuff like Scarf Genesect, Scarf Lele, Scarf Hydreigon, etc. And if an opposing Charizard X predicts your Protect and Dragon Dances, you will still be able to outspeed on the next turn. Mega Sharpedo is actually really great, Psychic Fangs is prefect coverage for Keldeo, Venusaur, Toxapex, etc. and is actually stronger than Waterfall.

Also, my favourite theory is that you will be able to obtain the other Mega Stones through Pokemon Global Link when it goes live in a few months. Seems to make sense to me.
Beedrilite is not available in Sun and Moon.

Yup. It is incredibly lame and I don't understand why they would do this.
I forgot to take pictures of it, but I've also seen Mega Mawile and Mega TTar while messing around in Battle Dome, so they're definitely in the game, it's just whether or when we'll be able to gain access to them again.

H.M.N.I.P

https://youtu.be/pIr6TjG7Rko
is a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion

Since we have so few Mega Pokèmons right now in this meta, this is probably one of the best between the playable one. What makes it different from other Megas right now, is its incredible typing: in fact, in a meta dominated by Fairy types, Mega Venusaur just puts in a ton of work. Since this thing has been lacking of usage, people have literally forgotten how destroying this thing can be. Without any doubt it's easily one of the best checks of the majority of S&M new threats. Being a
type Pokèmon, Venusaur can be a great answer to overused (and overpowered) new and old discoveries like Aegislash, Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Kartana, Xurkitree, Pheromosa and Genesect. Even with the lack of investiments in any defense, with a simple spread of 248HP it can easily take 3 hits from a Blade-Form Quiet Aegislash Shadow Ball [(38.7 - 45.6% - guaranteed 3HKO) in a switching scenario it can easily recover all the damage, since it is even faster]. If you're wondering why this thing isn't really common at all, it's probably because it is quite passive: the huge absence of speed, in this crazy fast meta, makes Venusaur a 'dead slot' in some matchups: with all the volt-turn spams right now, in the worst cases scenario the opponents will keep turning on it, without letting Venusaur recover from all the damage. The only factor that can help this mon getting momentum is the use of status moves like Sleep Powder or Leech Seed, which with the right timing can force switches or gain some vital momentum. Since it is a very versatile Mega, you can pair both Offensive threats or defensive backbones for the like of your team. Notable members are mons that can help Venusaur completing the FWG core, such as: Heatran [(which is one of the best check for Celesteela, that is really annoying for Mega Venusaur) 0 SpA Celesteela Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Venusaur: 164-194 (45 - 53.2%) -- 32.4% chance to 2HKO] , Alolan Marowak, Mantine or even Tapu Fini. Talking about sets, Venusaur offers its presence both in a aggressive or defensive way, depending on what you think it fits better in your slots. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are its main STABs moves of choice, with, in most of the cases, Hidden Power Fire rounding off its coverage for hitting mons which it is supposed to check like Aegislash. Another pretty self explanatory move is Synthesis. When playing in this meta I found out that it's pretty vital to keep Venusaur healthy in order to not be knocked out by all the UltraBeasts and Tapus around.

Set(s) I Suggest.

Item: Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll -> Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpA / 20 Spe
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
Moves: Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb / Synthesis / Hidden Power [Fire]

Why do I think that this set is one of the best in this meta for Venusaur? Since we don't want a too passive Pokémon in the background for dealing with Offensive threats, Mega Venusaur really functions well as a Offensive tank: Giga Drain allows it to check Pokemon such as Keldeo, Azumarill, Toxapex, Landorus (both Therian and Totem), Mantine, Tapu Fini and Nihilego, while simultaneously recovering lost HP. Sludge Bomb is a more powerful STAB move that lets Venusaur check or hit
and
type Pokemon, including Clefable, Exeggutor-Alola, Dhelmise, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele and Tapu Bulu. In this meta, I think that as last move option Hidden Power
is the best coverage option since it allows you to hit those pesky Genesect and Aegislash. Synthesis gives Mega Venusaur semi-reliable recovery, which lets it continually tank hits. Honorable mention to Earthquake and Knock Off, which, in my opinion, can both be freely changed with Hidden Power Fire for your likes.

20 Speed EVs are used to outpace Adamant maximum Speed Azumarill accounting for Hidden Power Fire's IV drop. Maximum EVs are used in Special Attack to allow Mega Venusaur to hit as hard as possible. The rest of the EVs are put in HP so that Mega Venusaur can take hits as well as possible.

For now, that's all. I'm going to add some calcs when I'll have some time, and, probably, some replays. Thank you for spending some time reading my small thoughts on this mon. See ya :toast:

Last edited:
Absol, Aerodactyl, Alakazam, Metagross receives all a new buff with the new Spe mechanic.
I feel that Metagross can be really ban-worthy because its newfound Spe until the turn it megaevolves is very game breaking. It still has good power behind its moves (thanks to Though Claws and nice offences) and a nice typing (useful to fight many Megas including Mega Venusaur, which is so useful atm with Genesect around).
Mega Alakazam is just better than its LOrbed regular form because now it can even run a Modest nature for further craziness.
Absol can be the new offensive Magic Bouncer if Mega Diancie is released and it is banned, due the buffs it received about its Spe and Diamon Storm's boost.
Aerodactyl is now better than before, but its problems come from low power behind its moves.

Venusaur is overhyped atm because it has useful resistances to many playstyles (VoltSwitch/Electric Terrain, Rain, Sandstorm and so on).
I think that the set with Weather Ball is criminally underlooked in a meta with Torkoal, Pelipper and A-Ninetails (which can set Aurora Veil). With some bans, these things can definitely see the light. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
Mega Venusaur is really good right now as it has the bulk to take on a lot of threats on the ladder, like Pheromosa, Buzzwole and Kartana, and it's a decent answer to Aegislash as well.

However, once the meta settles down, I'm fairly sure Mega Scizor will emerge as the best like it was in ORAS.

If Lopunny get released at some point, it's going to be really good.

Mega Venusaur as it stands now reminds me of Mega Venusaur in early XY. Back then, it was seen as one of the best Megas since its great bulk and ability to blanket check so many things helped players to deal with the chaos of a young metagame. As the metagame settled down, its well-rounded nature became less valuable, and people started shifting to other Megas. Mega Venusaur is a great metagame transition Mega, and I imagine that it will continue to be a reliable pick until the metagame settles back down again. Plus, half of the existing Megas aren't even available, so having less competition certainly helps.

This sucks so much, I don't understand why they cut half the mega stones. Was looking forward to using Diancie since its buffs would make it an even bigger threat than it was in ORAS, not having to run protect is huge.

Atleast gamefreak left us with most of the viable OU megas anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)