Megamons

Mega Slowbro has been one of my favorite 'mons to use in this metagame. It's so bulky, checks a bunch of threats, and now gets even better with Leftovers. Better team support also allows it to easily set-up with things like CM, Iron Defense and Amnesia. It is walled by PDon though, so that's pretty annoying. Other than that, it's an absolute pain to face.

Also, still taking any suggestions for whether or not PDon and POgre should be restricted to only holding their Orbs.

Also, still taking any suggestions for whether or not PDon and POgre should be restricted to only holding their Orbs.
Either bar them from holding items, or unlock Mewtwo X/Y. I don't see why the Mewtwos are considered too dangerous when the Primals are just as strong, stat-wise (780 vs 770 BST), and arguably have more dangerous implications (Scarf/Specs POgre, Band/LO/Shuca Pdon). Pdon is S+ in Ubers while still holding Red Orb -- without an item restriction, it would probably be their second ban after Mega Rayquaza.

Alright, based off of more posts, I have decided to bar Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre from items. As Jajoken pointed out, PDon is already S+ in Ubers with a Red Orb -- here, it gets access to things like Leftovers, Life Orb, and wonderful team support. As for POgre, the ability to hold a Scarf is only going to lead to an extremely difficult Pokemon to stop.

Alright, I think that's it for the banlist (for now). The banlist from the old thread was very old (made before OR/AS) so it's good to update it with new Pokemon and barring certain Pokemon from items.

Oh man. I love this meta.

Metagross-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Grass Knot
- Hammer Arm/Ice Punch

Hey, fellow Megabro. Do you think you can wall this? Think again.

0 SpA Life Orb Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Slowbro: 211-250 (53.5 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

LOOK!!! You just got rekted. Even max SpDef can't be handled.

Mega Aggron?

252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Mega Metagross Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 117-138 (34 - 40.1%) -- 38.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Uh yeah. Mega Aggron kind of walls this, but it doesn't have recovery, so you can wear it down.

Medicham-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Thunderpunch
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch/Zen Headbutt

THE POWER!!! Seriously. This thing 2HKOs everything in the meta, though it's kinda frail. But if you hate stall (like me), use it.

Edit: One more set.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Thunderpunch

Who uses Heatran in Ubers just to wall this? Without Heatran, Dragon/Fire coverage is pretty much unresisted, so you can use the last moveslot to hit Mega Slowbro or something.

Last edited:
Oh man. I love this meta.

Metagross-Mega @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Grass Knot
- Hammer Arm/Ice Punch

Hey, fellow Megabro. Do you think you can wall this? Think again.

0 SpA Life Orb Tough Claws Mega Metagross Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Slowbro: 211-250 (53.5 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

LOOK!!! You just got rekted. Even max SpDef can't be handled.

Mega Aggron?

252 Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Mega Metagross Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 117-138 (34 - 40.1%) -- 38.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Uh yeah. Mega Aggron kind of walls this, but it doesn't have recovery, so you can wear it down.

Medicham-Mega @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Thunderpunch
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch/Zen Headbutt

THE POWER!!! Seriously. This thing 2HKOs everything in the meta, though it's kinda frail. But if you hate stall (like me), use it.

Edit: One more set.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Thunderpunch

Who uses Heatran in Ubers just to wall this? Without Heatran, Dragon/Fire coverage is pretty much unresisted, so you can use the last moveslot to hit Mega Slowbro or something.
Once again, I think Roost should be slashed with Thunder Punch. Thunder Punch is fine and dandy coverage, yes, but I think Roost is the superior option, as like LO Megazard Y, it will get worn down quickly between hazards and Life Orb recoil.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
ChariArd might not need the LO with Tough Claws boost, so Leftovers could be a viable option for its DDance set.

A Swords Dance wallbreaker set would want LO though.

ChariArd might not need the LO with Tough Claws boost, so Leftovers could be a viable option for its DDance set.

A Swords Dance wallbreaker set would want LO though.
Tbh, It probably would still want life orb. Leftovers might be good on a bulky dragon dance, but the standard offensive wouldn't get much benefit much from it and would sorely miss the power (it'd be a (mostly) unchanged ou in a buffed ubers environment)

umm shouldn't mega kangaskhan be banned? or atleast required to use kangaskhanite? an already solid pokemon that can hit twice with damaging set up shouldn't be allowed to use an item. atleast, in my opinion. if this thing gets to plus two, almost nothing can stop it.

252 Atk Life Orb Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Latias: 363-429 (102.5 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Lugia: 379-447 (91.1 - 107.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 421-499 (83.6 - 99.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I really don't see why such a monster isn't banned. then again if it is banned, and I'm just missing something then ignore this. but I'm looking at the bans and only gengar mewtwos and primals and banned. so yeah, has no one thought that this monster should be banned?

umm shouldn't mega kangaskhan be banned? or atleast required to use kangaskhanite? an already solid pokemon that can hit twice with damaging set up shouldn't be allowed to use an item. atleast, in my opinion. if this thing gets to plus two, almost nothing can stop it.

252 Atk Life Orb Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Latias: 363-429 (102.5 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Lugia: 379-447 (91.1 - 107.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 421-499 (83.6 - 99.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I really don't see why such a monster isn't banned. then again if it is banned, and I'm just missing something then ignore this. but I'm looking at the bans and only gengar mewtwos and primals and banned. so yeah, has no one thought that this monster should be banned?
Its actually still kinda underwhelming. It beaten by megablaze, by mega slowbro, by mega sableye, by char-x, by salamence, basically- basically all of the bulky/offensive megas. Even your latios calc isn't vs the mega stone, and Lugia doesn't have multiscale, and I'm not sure how Kangaskhan got to +2 vs giratina.

Its actually still kinda underwhelming. It beaten by megablaze, by mega slowbro, by mega sableye, by char-x, by salamence, basically- basically all of the bulky/offensive megas. Even your latios calc isn't vs the mega stone, and Lugia doesn't have multiscale, and I'm not sure how Kangaskhan got to +2 vs giratina.
oh whoops I'm kinda new here but I do seriously think mega kang should be banned and it got to +2 against another mon then giratina came in.

After playing for a bit, I think this meta promotes a better teambuilding than Ubers considering there are more threats and (most imposrtantly) NOT too pdon centralized, though pdon is still very good.

oh whoops I'm kinda new here but I do seriously think mega kang should be banned and it got to +2 against another mon then giratina came in.
If you switch in Giratina immediately in front of Mega Kanga, it won't get +2 boost.

Mega Kanga is fine. I think it's not stronger than most threats here, due to having Normal STAB and average 100 Speed. It's very stoppable compared to something like, Specs Mega Gardevoir (which rekted me once, VERY HARD to switch into, though maybe it's just my team).

Also I've swept some teams with standard Geomancy Xerneas. It's underprepared. Same goes for Mega Diancie. Maybe it's just first day so people are trying out random things.

I think this meta is very fun. People should play it more.

Why exactly? Would be the much needed boost to make them viable and not entirely outclassed by their original forms with soul dew. Is it any more broken than LO Blaziken, Lucario? They're still really easy to pursuit trap
No, like soul dew is banned period. You cant run soul dew latios.

People have been discussing an unban for Soul Dew. That was taken from the original banlist so I am not opposed to unbanning it for now, and if it proves to be broken we can ban it again. Thoughts?

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok so since this became LCotM for the month of April, I decided to provide a guide of sorts with Megas and their possible sets as well as a small explanation about each set.

Aggron-Mega @

Ability: Filter
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Heavy Slam
- Roar / Earthquake

Mega Aggron is a really good wall in Megamons thanks to it now getting a form of passive recovery with Leftovers. Filter allows it to tank most supereffective hits as well as provide paralysis and Stealth Rock. It can also beat Mega Diancie as it lives a Life Orb-boosted Earth Power and proceeds to OHKO with Heavy Slam, allowing it to spam Thunder Wave and set up Stealth Rock more easily. While it can get worn down, it is a lot harder to accomplish with Leftovers coupled together with Filter.

Alakazam-Mega @
/

Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast / Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball / Thunder Wave

Mega Alakazam is absolutely scary backed by a Life Orb with its base 175 Special Attack as it can Trace the opponent's ability and use it against them. This means weather teams now fear Alakazam tracing Swift Swim or Sand Rush and proceeding to sweep them and absolutely blow them away. The Focus Sash set can be a nice anti-lead against Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie as they can no longer burn or set up Stealth Rock, allowing it to avoid hazards for the team.Trace is very useful in acting as a "blanket check" and Mega Alakazam doesn't mind not having a "more useful" ability as it already has blistering Speed and outrageous Special Attack.

Altaria-Mega @

Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost / Fire Blast

The Offensive set from standard is really potent here especially since Mega Altaria can use its typing to its advantage to check some threats. While it does get crippled by strong priority (Life Orb Max Attack Mega Lucario's Bullet Punch for example), this set is a force to be reckoned with as it has power backed by Life Orb as well as amazing neutral coverage with STAB Pixilate Return and Earthquake. It can even run Fire Blast to lure the inevitable Steel-types. Pixilate Return also means it can muscle past Giratina, a common Defogger.

Altaria-Mega @

EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Return
- Substitute / Heal Bell / Earthquake

Defensive Dragon Dance (King DDD if you will) is really good, now being able to run Leftovers as it allows Mega Altaria to run Substitute more effectively. This means it can avoid status, capitalize on its amazing bulk, and potentially sweep the opponent. This set isn't as ideal with the inevitable power creep of this metagame, but it is definitely worth a mention (also I ripped the EVs from standard play because idk Megamons enough to customize the EVs lol).

Altaria-Mega @

EVs: 248 HP / 168 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Earthquake / Heal Bell

Special Mega Altaria is a nice lure as most of its switch-ins will be physical walls, allowing Mega Altaria to break them down easier to help its teammates power through the opponent. Sadly, once this set is revealed, the ruse is up making it harder for Mega Altaria to lure in those physical walls and cripple them. Another EV spread I ripped from standard so idk what it does in Megamons, but that can change once this OM gets some gameplay.

Banette-Mega @
/

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
- Shadow Claw / Knock Off
- Destiny Bond

Thank goodness that this OM actually benefits Mega Banette. No longer having to deal with not having Prankster turn 1, this becomes similar to Sableye in standard play with the lack of a Dark typing and reliable recovery. Leftovers helps mitigate that issue, but not by much. I invested in its bulk as it doesn't need its Speed whenever the metagame is so offensively oriented. Destiny Bond is a nice little touch to guarantee that Mega Banette brings the opponent down with it in conjunction to Taunt. While Knock Off isn't STAB, it is nice support for stall and defensive teams in general.

Beedrill-Mega @
/

Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Mega Beedrill is a really good pivot in Megamons thanks to its Speed and the fact that its already powerful STABs are further boosted by Life Orb or a Choice Band. It set doesn't vary much from standard play, but it does have to watch out for the priority that may run rampant as it has paper thin defenses.

Blaziken-Mega @

Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Protect / Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Stone Edge / Knock Off

Mega Blaziken can be a nice sweeper as it has access to Speed Boost and potentially Swords Dance as well. While Mega Blaziken lacks any bulk, it has a great STAB combination and the ability to clean really easily. The last slot is mainly dependent on what coverage you want as Stone Edge hits Flying-types like Mega Salamence while Knock Off hurts Giratina and Mega Slowbro more than its other moves.

Charizard-Mega-X @

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost / Earthquake

This thing is a monster. Life Orb Tough Claws Flare Blitz has a ton of damage output and couple that with Dragon Dance and Mega Charizard X becomes a really big threat. Thankfully there are things like Giratina and Mega Slowbro to keep this in check, but the former lacks reliable recovery and can only dare to phaze it out.

Charizard-Mega-Y @
/
/

Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast / Earthquake
- Roost / Flamethrower
Mega Charizard Y is a really nice advantage for Sun teams as it has a very powerful Eruption when backed by Choice Specs. It also has great Sun support from Chlorophyll users (no Mega users sadly) and a Solar Power Mega in Mega Houndoom. Focus Blast / Earthquake is a preference as Earthquake will only hit Heatran harder and is uninvested while Focus Blast has a good chance to miss, but still nets coverage on Heatran while hitting Rock- and Dark-types harder.

Diancie-Mega @

Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Fire / Psyshock

Mega Diancie is an absolute threat in Megamons thanks to it no longer having to rely on Protect to guarantee the safe Mega Evolution. Calm Mind capitalizes on this by making Diancie a powerful sweeper and only after one boost with its nice base 110 Speed.

Diancie-Mega @
/

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Stealth Rock

This set just puts Mega Diancie out on the full offense with it firing off powerful Diamond Storms. Focus Sash can be used over Life Orb if you prefer a powerful lead that can reliably avoid Taunt and opposing hazards while setting up Stealth Rock of its own.

Garchomp-Mega @

Ability: Sand Force
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast / Dragon Claw

While Mega Garchomp is almost never used in standard play, here it is actually a force to be reckoned with. When supported by sand, its STAB and normal coverage is now boosted by Sand Force, which is very scary when coupled with Swords Dance. This thing is an absolute beast at wallbreaking, leaving no stone unturned.

Heracross-Mega @

Ability: Skill Link
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed / Knock Off

This hidden gem is the wallbreaker to beat all wallbreakers. While it has very exploitable weaknesses and an average base 75 Speed stat, Mega Heracross is absolutely frightening. its base 185 Attack coupled with a Choice Band and Skill Link makes it an astounding wallbreaker. Its coverage is also really nice allowing for little to no switch-ins meaning that if the user happens to predict, something switching into Mega Heracross is going down.

Houndoom-Mega @
/

Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot / Destiny Bond / Sucker Punch

Mega Houndoom is a great Mega to pair with Mega Charizard Y as it appreciates the Sun support. It can actually abuse its Mega ability as Solar Power absolutely wrecks anything in sight, especially if it coupled with Nasty Plot. Mega Houndoom can also run Solar Beam reliably now for amazing Grass coverage, making a potent asset to sun teams.

Kangaskhan-Mega @
/

Ability: Parental Bond
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch / Crunch
- Return / Double-Edge / Body Slam

This thing is seemingly threatening thanks to Parental Bond, as it can hit harder than most Megas. That being said, it is still walled or beaten by quite a few other Megas such as Mega Slowbro, Mega Sableye, and Mega Blaziken. This means it isn't as big of threat in Megamons as it is in standard play as it has to watch out for a ton more threats now, most of which force it out rather than it being able to get around them.

Lucario-Mega @

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Iron Tail

Mega Lucario power is striking. Life Orb gives it the ability to boost a very powerful 80 BP Bullet Punch as well as a 240 BP Close Combat. Adaptability + Life Orb is insane, giving this thing immense power backed by a really good setup move in Swords Dance.

Lucario-Mega @

Timid Nature
- Aura Sphere / Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse / Flash Cannon

Nasty Plot Lucario is a really neat lure as most players will expect the SD / physical set. This can punish the opponent even moreso by capitalizing on their switch into their physical wall and proceeding to nail it with a +2 Aura Sphere. This set in particular has an easier time dealing with Mega Slowbro thanks to hitting on its weaker defensive stat.

Mawile-Mega @
/

Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance / Substitute

Mega Mawile is another powerful Mega in Megamons thanks to its ability to hold a Life Orb as it makes Play Rough and Iron Head even more powerful than before. Sucker Punch mitigates Mawile's lack of Speed while Swords Dance can turn Mega Mawile into a terrifying sweeper. Substitute coupled with Leftovers can capitalize on Mega Mawile's ability to force switches and give it a free hit against the Pokemon sent in to revenge kill.

Medicham-Mega @
/

Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Trick / Thunder Punch

Mega Medicham is able to act as a wallbreaker or revenge killer that can cripple walls thanks to its access to Trick. Its STAB coverage is decent, but not the best, meaning it is forced to find some way around them despite its massive power. Trick mitigates this weakness somewhat as Mega Slowbro is a common wall.

Metagross-Mega @
/

Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Grass Knot / Ice Punch / Bullet Punch / Pursuit

Mega Metagross is a really good wallbreaker thanks to Tough Claws and its nice plethora of contact moves to take advantage of. Grass Knot means Mega Slowbro can't wall it like it should while Bullet Punch can give it priority. Expert Belt is a nice option over Life Orb as Mega Metagross has decent coverage and Ebelt allows it to make use of its decent bulk, but it isn't as reliable as Life Orb.

Pinsir-Mega @
/

Ability: Aerilate
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Earthquake / Swords Dance
- Close Combat / Swords Dance

Mega Pinsir is scary af in Megamons. Being able to hold Choice Band makes it extremely powerful. Quick Attack and Return are just for powerful STAB while Earthquake and Close Combat provide decent coverage. While Choice Band is nice, you can still run the standard set of SD, but now with a Life Orb attached, Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack hits even harder than it did in standard play, making it a nice win condition for offensive teams.

Sableye-Mega @

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

This is a really nice win condition in Megamons thanks to its immunity to status and phazing moves, meaning it can set up freely and be able to threaten the opponent as it can burn physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp and boost up to take on special attackers.

Sableye-Mega @

EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Foul Play

This Sableye is going to be a staple on stall teams as it has amazing bulk and reliable recovery. Despite it losing pre-Mega Prankster, Sableye can still wall, cripple, or wear down the opponent thanks to Knock Off, Will-O-Wisp, and Foul Play. The mixed bulk also helps it take special hits fairly well.

Salamence-Mega @
/

Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe OR EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Double-Edge / Return
- Earthquake / Substitute / Refresh

Mega Salamence is a really massive threat in Megamons as its nice physical bulk, usable power, and access to Roost + Dragon Dance makes it a really good setup sweeper. Max Speed may not be necessary as Mega Salamence has base 120 Speed which is why I included a bulkier set to ensure better setup. With the ability to run a Life Orb and hit super hard with STAB Aerilate Return or run Leftovers with Substitute / Refresh to not worry about burns or paralysis makes this a pretty big threat to watch out for. Mega Salamence is definitely one of the better Megas in Megamons for sure.

Scizor-Mega @

Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off / U-turn / Superpower

Again, with EVs ripped from the analysis, this set aims to use Mega Scizor's bulk to its advantage. Leftovers helps keep Scizor healthy while being able to set up and have powerful priority thanks to Technician and STAB. The problem with this set may be its lack of coverage, but the bulkiness and SD makes up for it by being able to power through frail resists and Knock Off provides okay coverage.

Scizor-Mega @

Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit / Knock Off

This set aims to give Mega Scizor more immediate power while using its bulk to take a hit against 2HKOs and other priority. The HP investment is really nice with the new bulk and U-turn makes it a slow pivot, which can potentially bring in frail threats such as Mega Salamence or Mega Alakazam.

Slowbro-Mega @

Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind / Iron Defense / Amnesia
- Psyshock / Ice Beam / Thunder Wave / Toxic

Mega Slowbro is a really amazing wall in Megamons. While it loses Regenerator from its base form, it still has access to Slack Off and has passive recovery in Leftovers. Shell Armor means critical hits won't stop Mega Slowbro's sweep. Calm Mind is the obvious option, boosting Slowbro's Special Attack stat as well as its less than average Special Defense stat. Iron Defense or Amnesia can be nice to just tank hits, but doesn't put Slowbro in a sweeping position like Calm Mind does.

Slowbro-Mega @

Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast
- Thunder Wave / Toxic

While the first set is amazing, this set can be really nice as a general wall. This set aims to spread status and nail certain Pokemon, crippling them for the match. Scald for burns, Thunder Wave for paralysis support, and Toxic to cripple stall teams, which I am not sure how common they will be.

Swampert-Mega @
/

Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Superpower / Rain Dance

Mega Swampert is a really nice asset to rain teams as it can provide the much needed bulk to take on strong priority and still be able to fire off very powerful attacks very fast. While Life Orb cuts into its bulk, it provides it with power without locking it into Earthquake or Waterfall against immunities or resists thus being harder to force this out under rain. Damp Rock is nice if it is running Rain Dance since it can allow Swampert to not cut into its bulk and extend Rain turns. Superpower is nice for bulky Normal-types, but Rain Dance is nice so Swampert can set up its own rain and sweep.

Tyranitar-Mega @
/

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam / Fire Blast / Crunch

Mega Tyranitar is really nice for Sand support, allowing the Excadrill + TTar combo from standard play to have a niche here in Megamons. Mega TTar also appreciates the SpD boost from the sand as it gets a nice bulk boost being its Mega rather than its regular forme. Offensive sets may be plausible for Mega TTar, but the power creep means this may be its only niche. Again the EVs were ripped from the analysis so idk if they are any good, but it allows Mega TTar to be very bulky and provide Sand.

Venusaur-Mega @

Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire / Knock Off / Leech Seed

With Thick Fat and Black Sludge, Mega Venusaur is a really good fat wall in Megamons as its only weaknesses are somewhat uncommon and it can actually appreciate its new neutral effectiveness. That being said, Mega Venusaur has to watch out for Mega Salamence and Mega Alakazam as they can still hit it super effectively and are very powerful Megas.

Last edited:
Good list, good mons, and Charizard doesn't get eruption :p
Outside of that, your list lacks mega audino, mega camerupt, mega abomasnow, and mega glalie (possibly a few more).
Is this because you thought they were unviable, or did you just miss them?

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Good list, good mons, and Charizard doesn't get eruption :p
Outside of that, your list lacks mega audino, mega camerupt, mega abomasnow, and mega glalie (possibly a few more).
Is this because you thought they were unviable, or did you just miss them?
Honestly I didn't feel they were viable as the power creep was too much for them, their abilities didn't hold up to the new standard, or both. That being said, they may still have some niches like Mega Camerupt, Mega Audino, and Mega Abomasnow for TR teams. I also fixed the Eruption mishap :o

Yeah, and if need be the list can always be updated as the metagame progresses. All of the megas listed are the ones that you see on nearly every team so that is a good start.

nv Mega Glalie and Mega Gardevoir are certainly viable. They kind of lack switchins and pretty much have their own role. They both can Trick Band Specs to screw up walls. They're just really underestimated I think.

As for Mega Aerodactyl (which you didn't list), it can be a nice Mega Mence check, assuming Mega Mence doesn't carry Stone Edge.

Glalie-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Refrigerate
Jolly/Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Return
- Earthquake
- Switcheroo/Explosion/Freeze Dry

252 Atk Choice Band Mega Glalie Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 300-352 (90.6 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Adamant will get you guaranteed KO, though Jolly might be better for multiple purposes. If Mega Salamence already get even a little bit of Double Edge recoil (which is the standard Ubers move), it'll be dead. Also calc on Freeze Dry vs non SpD invested Mega Slowbro.

0 SpA Mega Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Mega Slowbro: 206-246 (52.2 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

If you don't like Freeze Dry on Band set, that's fine, but this move makes Mega Slowbro not able to switch in.

I would say unban Mega-Rayquaza - With all megas being able to hold an item it wouldn't be too prowerful tbh.
I'd have to disagree. It's still a 780 BST poke that can hold items. The reason that they're banned is, if they're allowed, there would be no reason not to carry them. Which means they kind of limiting teambuilding. Also, it's... actually still too strong when you compare to other megas, just because it gets SD, DD, Extremespeed and Vcreate, which means it's basically unwallable AND near unrevengable. Basically the same reason it was banned from Ubers still apply here, because the new megas doesn't offer new counters and checks to this thing. Maybe Mega Aerodactyl but, that's it.

runbabyrun regarding Soul Dew, I'm kinda on fence on this one but I'd say unban it for a while, because I haven't seen any of the Mega Latis do any good. So we don't actually have any theory OR proof that say they're broken. That's why I'd say test it for a while and then hear what the community says.

Soul Dew unban is kind of sketchy IMO. LO Mega Latios already does more damage than Soul Dew regular Latios.

252 SpA Soul Dew Latios Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 261-307 (40.6 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mega Latios Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 265-312 (41.2 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Then again, this is a meta where things are already kind of busted, so maybe unban it and see how it goes.

Also, I've only played one game, but I'd still like to share this monster:

Camerupt-Mega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Flamethrower/HP Electric

With Trick Room support, you just run through everything. The last slot is filler but you really only need 3 slots. Sash Mega Banette lead and Mega Slowbro are promising Trick Room setters as well. As a more offensive setter, min Speed Mega Gardevoir with Memento is also pretty cool.

Other Megas good on Trick Room teams:
  • Heracross
  • Scizor
  • Abomasnow
  • Ampharos
  • Blastoise
  • Garchomp
  • Tyranitar
  • Venusaur

nv Mega Glalie and Mega Gardevoir are certainly viable. They kind of lack switchins and pretty much have their own role. They both can Trick Band Specs to screw up walls. They're just really underestimated I think.

As for Mega Aerodactyl (which you didn't list), it can be a nice Mega Mence check.

Glalie-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Refrigerate
Jolly/Naive Nature
- Ice Shard
- Return
- Earthquake
- Switcheroo/Explosion/Freeze Dry

252 Atk Choice Band Mega Glalie Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 300-352 (90.6 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Adamant will get you guaranteed KO, though Jolly might be better for multiple purposes. If Mega Salamence already get even a little bit of Double Edge recoil (which is the standard Ubers move), it'll be dead. Also calc on Freeze Dry vs non SpD invested Mega Slowbro.

0 SpA Mega Glalie Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Mega Slowbro: 206-246 (52.2 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

If you don't like Freeze Dry on Band set, that's fine, but this move makes Mega Slowbro not able to switch in.

I'd have to disagree. It's still a 780 BST poke that can hold items. The reason that they're banned is, if they're allowed, there would be no reason not to carry them. Which means they kind of limiting teambuilding. Also, it's... actually still too strong when you compare to other megas, just because it gets SD, DD, Extremespeed and Vcreate, which means it's basically unwallable AND near unrevengable. Basically the same reason it was banned from Ubers still apply here, because the new megas doesn't offer new counters and checks to this thing. Maybe Mega Aerodactyl but, that's it.

runbabyrun regarding Soul Dew, I'm kinda on fence on this one but I'd say unban it for a while, because I haven't seen any of the Mega Latis do any good. So we don't actually have any theory OR proof that say they're broken. That's why I'd say test it for a while and then hear what the community says.
First off, nv did include mega gardevoir smh.
Secondly, your calc is wrong, as it should be 0- (adamant, remember?). Even leaving that aside, however, Megaray gains a ton of new checks- Megamence, Scarf Megacham, Mega diancie if not eq (or if adamant), MegaMetagross if not v-create, Scarf megagard, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)