Pet Mod Megas for All v7 - Kalos concluded! | Please read the first post! | Fully playable through Kalos Slate 10!

Karnachar

Banned deucer.
:swsh/articuno:
1. NANI?!
2. okispokis
3. KeroseneZanchu
4. Regic Boat
5. ausma and Violettes
6. The Damned
7. Hematemesis
8. jazzmat
9. Tgtz8920
10. SimpyShrimp

:swsh/virizion:
1. War Incarnate
2. ARandomPerson
3. Rosiario
4. XzvzX
5. ViZar
6. ausma and KeroseneZanchu
7. SimpyShrimp
8. BlueRay
9. okispokis
10. Hematemesis and Paulluxx

:swsh/guzzlord:
1. DarkFairy
2. jazzmat
3. Pika Xtreme
4. BlueRay
5. ry4242
6. Vipotis
7. Clastia
8. earl
9. KeroseneZanchu
10. Ludicrous

Tarionate

Banned deucer.
Articuno:
1. KeroseneZanchu
2. Violettes and ausma
3. BlueRay and Paulluxx

Virizion:
1. Hematemesis and Paulluxx
2. KeroseneZanchu and ausma
3. BlueRay

Guzzlord:
1. BlueRay
2. Clasmia
3. EeveeGirl1380 and Hematemesis and Lord Pxperto

Going to be more than a bit "lazy" on this one by "only" doing Top 5...for the first two. Guzzlord gets Top 10 just because I'm that tired and lazy it's that big. I'm also foregoing the first poll on balance since I don't think I have enough experience to decide any of that save for maybe Starmie-Mega:

:articuno: Articuno-Mega:
1. Z-nogyroP
2. Violettes and ausma
3. Paulluxx and BlueRay
4. okispokis
5. KeroseneZanchu

:virizion: Virizion-Mega:
1. Z-nogyroP
2. Rosario
3. SimpyShrimp
4. War Incarnate
5. BlueRay

:guzzlord: Guzzlord-Mega:
01. depressed lion
02. KerosenseZanchu
03. StarFalcon555
04. BlueRay
05. Z-nogyroP
06. NANI?!
07. Ludicrousity
08. War Incarnate
09. Pika Xreme
10. EeveeGirl1380, Hematemesis & Lord Pxperto

KakkarrotCake

Banned deucer.
I guess it's our slately votin' time, so here's the laydown on what's actually factually fine -

We got Kerosene's freezy fiend in the first scene
with ausma and Violet's Kyurem check next, next-
there's BluPaul's blue haul of blue balls from all stall

First strike, first place, Zanchu and ausma, arms race
Glade Blade, Simpy Shrimp, second spot, he's no wimp
Last yes, least no, Okis third, Okay go

Guzzle lord by jazzy mat takes and eats the cake (it's fat)
the second dragon isn't draggin' far behind it's earl's man smackin'
and the last of the last of the slate there's no fast, just a buffet of BlueRay's when its Guts are on blast.

:Articuno:
1) Paulluxx & BlueRay
2) Regic Boat
3) KeroseneZanchu

4) Violettes & ausma
5) NANI?!
6) jazzmat
7) Hematemesis

:Virizion:
1) Z-nogyroP
2) BlueRay
3) Rosiario
4) ARandomPerson

5) Hematemesis & Paulluxx
6) KeroseneZanchu & ausma
7) War Incarnate
8) TGTz8920

:Guzzlord:
1) BlueRay
2) jazzmat
3) EeveeGirl1380, Hematemesis & Lord Pxperto
4) LordThemberchaud

5) okispokis
6) ARandomPerson
7) NANI?!
8) Clasmia

Okay, voting time. First, All the subs this slate are talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before, unafraid to reference or not reference, put it in a blender, shit on it, vomit on it, eat it, give birth to it.

But i have my personal tops D:

:articuno: (regular abilities propaganda)
1. Paullux and BlueRay
I was just starting to edit a technician Articuno sub at sandbox when you two came with this! Love how useful this is!

2. Violettes and Ausma

3. okispokis

1. The Damned

2. War Incarnate

3. SimpyShrimp

1. BlueRay

2. StarFalcon555

3. me (depressed lion) D:

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
:articuno:
1: Violettes & ausma
2: KeroseneZanchu
3: Paulluxx & BlueRay
4: okispokis
5: Z-nogyroP

:virizion:
1: SimpyShrimp
2: KeroseneZanchu & ausma
3: ARandomPerson
4: Z-nogyroP
5: War Incarnate

:guzzlord:
1: BlueRay
2: Z-nogyroP
3: LordThemberchaud
4: NANI?!
5: Ludicrousity
6: KeroseneZanchu
7: Pika Xreme
8: DarkFairy
9: EeveeGirl1380 & Hematemasis & Lord Pxperto
10: jazzmat

Articuno
1. Ausma & Violettes
2. KeroseneZanchu
3. Paulluxx & BlueRay
4. Okispokis
5. Z-nogyrop

Virizion
1. Ausma & KeroseneZanchu
2. SimpyShrimp
3. ARandomPerson
4. Okispokis
5. War Incarnate

Guzzlord
1. Z-nogyrop
2. BlueRay
3. LordThemberchaud
4. Ludicrousity
5. KeroseneZanchu
6. EeveeGirl1310, Hematemesis, Lord Pxperto
7. DarkFairy
8. Pika Xreme
9. NANI?!

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
This vote is in a certain someone’s style, out of Jealousy to the votes above me. And what people were describing in the discord. No I’m not petty,
:Articuno:
1) Paulluxx & BlueRay
2) Hematemesis
3) Okispokis

4) Violettes & ausma
5) Regic Boat
6) jazzmat
7) KeroseneZanchu

1) Hematemesis & Paulluxx
2) BlueRay
3) Rosiario
4) Okispokis

5) War Incarnate
6) KeroseneZanchu & ausma
7) TgTz

1) BlueRay
2) Okispokis
3) Bolivia Triple Collab(Eeveegirl, Lord Pxperto and Hematemesis)
4) LordThemberchaud

vote time :)

1. KeroseneZanchu
2. Hematemesis
3. ausma & violettes
4. jazzmat
5. TGtz8920
6. okispokis

1. jazzmat & EeveeGirl1380
2. Hematemesis & Paulluxx
3. War Incarnate
4. TGtz8920
5. Z-nogyroP

1. jazzmat
2. DarkFairy
3. EeveeGirl1380 & Hematemesis & Lord Pxperto
4. KeroseneZanchu
5. Pika Xreme
6. War Incarnate
7. StarFalcon555

1. Z-NogyroP
2. KeroseneZanchu
3. Violettes and ausma
4. jazzmat

1. jazzmat and EeveeGirl1380
2. Hematemesis and Paulluxx
3. BlueRay
4. NANI?!
5. SimpyShrimp
6. KeroseneZanchu and ausma

1. DarkFairy
2. jazzmat
3. Pika Xreme
4. NANI?!
5. Z-nogyroP
6. LordThemberchaud
7. ry4242

Rosiario

Banned deucer.
OMIGOSH sorry Hema and thank you so much for adding in my sub anyway DDD:

Anyway, onto my votes~
For Articuno's first place I'm picking Hematemesis! I like this one more than the other Rock immunity abilities because it also helps out allies in double and triple battles which is really cool, but might be a little too strong with really good partners. It and Volcarona seem like they would be great Fire & Ice buddies :O
Second place is Kero~ I think this ability does a really nice job turning a weakness into a strength rather than just ignoring the weakness entirely, and the numbers are super satisfying.
And third for the bird is Ausma and Violettes! This has a similar but indirect interaction when switching into enemy special attackers on Rocks, but it's definitely a solid and more flexible idea all around, and I like to see Ice Scales on something with similar weaknesses to Frosmoth but generally stronger and can use it better.

For Virizion, no surprise, but I'm voting mine first! I really really like how this one turned out with Blue's help, and I would love to spread Heavenly Techniques to more mons that can use it without overlapping with Samurott so that it can be seen more as just a one-off gimmicky ability. It's really cool!
Second, again, is Kero - slashing moves as a whole deserve to be used more as a category because there's a lot of cool stuff in them and use in more abilities makes it seem less like something created specifically for Heavenly Techniques alone. Maybe we can get a crit-focused ability that works with slashing moves in the future!
Third is Hematemesis and Paulluxx! I was really sad when Zen Mode Torterra didn't win (abismal's Torterra is still cool!) and I love that you guys took the idea and expanded upon it and made it better to resub with Virizion! I think it fits even better here and I would love to see it in action.

Finally with the ULTRA BEAST - Blue's kind of a beast as well when it comes to making cool stuff :3. Guts on a tank and a mega evolution who can't hold orbs is such a cool idea! It reminds me of Violettes' Electivire a while back, but this has the bonus benefit of being on a mon that enemies want to Toxic and not just burn, so bonus points!
Second is jazzmat! Knock Off is a move that already has a lot of power in it but struggles long-term, so it's nice that you gave it both bonus immediate use to play to its strengths, but that bonus also helps out Guzzlord's longevity, even if it doesn't help out Knock Off's long-term usefulness.
Lastly, Porygon-Z backwards! Dragon/Poison/Purify is an amazingly cool moveset for a Pokemon that gets Stomping Tantrum! Gunk Shot to kill fairies and Stomping Tantrum to kill Steels who deny the Gunk Shot. Purify to heal up off of enemies you've Toxic'd with Corrosion, and Stomping Tantrum for a Ground-type Giga Impact without recharge if the enemy switches out to a non-Poisoned mon in an attempt to deny the Purify. All in all, a really fun idea!

WHY DO I LOVE SO MANY OF THESE
HELP

I have very positive feelings about, uh, far too many of these :'D This was insanely hard to order as always; I think it would be difficult for my vote to reflect just how much I like some subs that I was stuck putting in, like, eighth just because I can't have an eight-way tie or anything,,
I did my best to settle on a placement!!! but you guys should be proud : D
:articuno: Mega Articuno
1) KeroseneZanchu
2) Z-nogyroP
3) NANI?!
4) okispokis
5) Violettes and ausma
6) Hematemesis
7) jazzmat
8) The Damned
9) TGtz8920
10) Regic Boat
11) Paulluxx and BlueRay

:virizion: Mega Virizion
1) BlueRay
2) Hematemesis and Paulluxx
3) SimpyShrimp
4) Rosiario
5) NANI?!
6) jazzmat and EeveeGirl1380
7) TGtz8920
8) Z-nogyroP
9) depressed lion
10) The Damned
11) KeroseneZanchu and ausma
12) ARandomPerson
13) okispokis
14) ViZar

:muk-alola: Mega Muk (Alola Fo... wait hang on
:guzzlord: Mega Guzzlord
1) jazzmat
2) Z-nogyroP
3) BlueRay
4) LordThemberchaud
5) EeveeGirl1380, Hematemesis and Lord Pxperto
6) NANI?!
7) earl
8) depressed lion
9) Vipotis
10) DarkFairy
11) okispokis
12) ry4242
13) KeroseneZanchu

inkbug

Maybe the real mega pokemon were the friends we ma
is a Community Contributor
Hi folks!

Before I get started, a quick run-down of how this works:
  • Each vote contributes one point to its first-place choice
  • The candidates are ordered based on both the number of first-place votes and the number of total votes, and eliminated from the bottom
  • Any vote whose first choice has been eliminated instead gives its point to its second choice, or whatever its next ranking is. (On the sheet, points that have moved in this manner are highlighted in yellow.)
  • The elimination and re-ranking process continues until there are two remaining, upon which the one with more points is the winner.
  • You can view the whole thing on this spreadsheet.
With that out of the way...

:articuno: Mega Articuno: KeroseneZanchu !!
Mega :swsh/articuno: Articuno
Type:
Ice/Flying
Mega Stone: Articite

Ability: Snowflake - When this Pokémon takes Rock-type damage, it sets Aurora Veil.

Stats:
HP - 90 (+0)
ATK - 85 (+0)
DEF - 156 (+56)
SPA - 101 (+6)
SPD - 125 (+0)
SPE - 123 (+38)

New Moves: Healing Wish, Taunt

Description:
Dex Entry: Articuno's ability to freeze the air and create blizzards becomes supercharged with Mega Energy - the air around it drops to such a low temperature that even the slightest bit of moisture clings and freezes to its body, creating a coat and shield of snowflakes that protects it when struck.

Mega Articuno's snowflake coat breaks off when hit, absorbing the impact much like the front of a car is designed to crumple. This also shatters the crystallized ice into a fine powder, dispersing through the air and forming the Aurora Veil.
There were two main questions I wanted to answer with Articuno’s Mega - how could I incorporate Articuno’s heavy snow and aurora flavor without forcing it to compete with the saturated pool of hail megas, and how would I get around its weakness to Stealth Rocks when it couldn’t hold boots?

This quite effectively does both - and in a rather interesting way. We’ve already had a few abilities suggested to activate upon being hit by hazards in the past, and while those usually included immunity to those hazards, it’s very important that I didn’t here. One, for balance - Aurora Veil on entry without any drawbacks would be entirely broken, even if it relied on the precondition of the enemy setting hazards. Two, for mechanical neatness. Neatness holding true for both of the meanings - clean and tidy, and just plain cool.

See, this ability will only be activating on stealth rocks and not any other hazard - which means Articuno will be losing exactly half of its health every time this procs. And losing half of your health to set an effect that doubles your bulk is… a pretty obviously really cool synergy and interaction. As long as as Articuno stays under its Aurora Veil, it effectively negates the damage it took from the rocks, and it can take a turn to Roost to receive the full benefit of its Veil.

And here comes the second balancing measure - Roost. Taking half health on entry means that you’re basically forced to either heal or use Articuno as a suicide setter. It’s obvious why the latter is a pretty big drawback - there’s a lot of potential for reward with this HO style to sacrifice Articuno in order to pass a near-instant veil to your teammates, but there’s inherently a ton of risk in doing that as well. If you go the likely more mainstream and safe route, it becomes much harder for allies to abuse the Veil - the turn it activates, the turn to Roost back up, and then the turn to either hard switch or U-turn takes up three of Veil’s five turns. So even if you bring in Articuno for no reason other to set Veil, you’re only getting a very predictable two turn window to try and use it. While there will certainly be playstyles that incorporate both of these strategies, this goes a long way towards encouraging Articuno to utilize its Aurora Veil for itself and act as a bulky special breaker/utility mon.

But this is Rock-type damage and not Stealth Rocks, so what's the deal with that? See, Stealth Rock isn't a problem for no reason, obviously, it's because Articuno has a 4x weakness to the Rock-type. Since we have precedent for abilities to interact with Rock-type damage (thanks Hema), I chose to go this route (thanks Hema). While many people are going for the easy solution of just making it entirely immune (again, thanks Hema for giving Diamond Dust to a not 4x weak mon :P ), I chose to make this much more of a risk-reward situation. Weaknesses are weaknesses and Articuno can't ignore that fact entirely, but it generates a really nice incentive to playing intelligently around those weaknesses using Articuno's huge bulk and, ironically, type advantage over many of the common Rock attacks seen in the meta. Many strong STAB users will outright destroy Articuno, which is a good thing, but in doing so they still have to worry about setting up a free full-length Aurora Veil for the enemy team and giving them a chance to turn the game around and stop the mon in their tracks. However, the most common instances of Rock moves you see aren't on STAB users at all - they're on mons like Lando-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp. Notice a pattern? Articuno hard punishes the Rocks set by these mons and the Stone Edges commonly wielded by Lando-T and Garchomp. Articuno's physical bulk is enough to let it always live a non-crit Stone Edge from Lando-T on entry with max HP but no defensive investment, and then proceed to outspeed and threaten the OHKO non-Scarf Jolly sets by running Timid itself without any EV investment in that either. Due to the great synergy and cleanliness of its ability, this is also true for whether Stealth Rocks were set up or not as well. Articuno can use this position to go in for the kill, or take advantage of the inevitable switch to Roost or Defog for free. It also takes Stone Edges from Garchomp extremely well - the only way for Chomp to break it is either hitting it with Rockium Z or an already Swords Dance boosted SEdge on the switch. In either case, this is still a good momentum kill for the Articuno user as now Chomp effectively loses its Swords Dance boost into Veil (and has to click it twice more to get it back instead of once) or is now facing a Veiled team without its Z-move.

Articuno's ability in combination with its moves and stats make it an incredibly versatile defensive or offensive mon that can not only generate hard synergy teams built around it but work effectively in many other teams as a later slot-in and glue.
1639519620150.png

:virizion: Mega Virizion: KeroseneZanchu & ausma !!
Mega :swsh/virizion: Virizion
Type:
Grass/Fighting
Mega Stone: Virizite

Ability: Lethality - This Pokemon's slashing moves deal double damage against targets with full health.

Stats:
HP - 91 (+0)
ATK - 120 (+30)
DEF - 72 (+0)
SPA - 120 (+30)
SPD - 169 (+40)
SPE - 108 (+0)

New Moves: Psycho Cut, Aerial Ace, Aura Sphere, Heal Pulse

Description:
Dex Entry: Mega Virizion's speed, wit, and blades are all honed to a razor edge - this allows it to dance around opponents with ease, waiting to find the enemy's weak spot before striking with lethal precision and power, taking them out in a single blow.
Cool Kero sub? Strong ausma sub? Why not both?

Behold, Mega Virizon, the magnum opus. Mega Virizion has a terrifying ability on paper and in practice, but with a drawback that's much more nuanced and important to the balancing of this submission than it may first seem.

I first created this ability for Zangoose to highlight the brutality and efficiency of its claws, as a mon to excel at taking out squishy mons in a single blow but losing momentum against walls. This didn't work out for various reasons, but in searching for a replacement, I have found something far, far cooler as an application for this ability, and enlisted ausma's help in perfecting the concept. While there still is room for a squishy-killer using Lethality in the future, Virizion uses this ability in a much more interesting way - as a wallbreaker.

It seems counterintuitive to use the ability for the exact purpose that the first version was specifically meant to struggle with, but there are many differences here. First, we kept the speed low - any mon Virizion can outspeed will have a hard time beating it without type advantage. For squishy mons this matters less because they hit hard and get hit hard no matter what, and so even something like Cinderace would get shrekt if Virizion were allowed to outspeed them. Virizion can still counter many of the common special glass cannons (with varying levels of glass and cannon) in the meta such as Greninja and even Tapu Koko if it can come in safely, due to not only keeping but furthering its naturally high special defense even more in Mega. However, it's quite vulnerable to physical mons and Flying-types alike, which places a lot of checks on the board right off the bat to keep it in line. Two, it's typing - Water and Steel are insanely common defensive types, which means Virizion excels at taking them down, and has loads of good coverage even outside of its STABs. Comparatively, Zangoose had a bad offensive STAB and limited coverage especially inside of the ability's movepool, which made it entirely reliant on the enemy being squishy to tear them apart.

However, now to elaborate on its true strength - wallbreaking. This ability allows Virizion to achieve 2HKOs on many mons that would otherwise be a 3HKO, breaking past them and avoiding the stall scenario that would occur when any of these fat mons have access to recovery. In addition, this burst of damage allows it to skip a turn's worth of leftovers, leech seed, poison heal, or any other passive effects that would otherwise edge those mons out of a 2HKO/3HKO range. Because this burst of damage also happens at the start, the walls in question would have to properly predict and hit their recovery on the first hit in order to avoid dying, since Virizon outspeeds them on the second turn. If they do, however, now they can stall out Virizion since now they're safe from the double damage boost...

Or are they? You see, this is where the full health requirement of Virizion's ability really shines as a tool for interaction, and why it makes such an effective and interesting wallbreaker. Most squishy mons don't recover - any sort of chip from hazards, U-turn/etc., or simply switching into a low-power resisted move when they have a free in will all take them out of Virizon's ability's range, likely permanently. However, walls on the other hand always take recovery to function. While it's still discouraged to run hazards on the same team as Mega Virizion because it makes things harder for it, basic chip is simply unavoidable and becomes increasingly moreso as the game progresses. However, targeting walls for this mon and ability is perfect as these are the mons that are going to be the ones healing off that chip with their recovery moves, and may often be forced to do so with the leftovers or poison heal that they've brought with them. This means that walls will always be in danger of overhealing, and something for both sides to keep an eye on - while they obviously want to stay healthy, going all the way up to completely full HP immediately puts them into the danger zone, and going too close to it can inadvertently cause their passive recovery to top them up as well. This balancing act is a fun dance between both users that keeps everyone on their toes until Virizion gets worn out, or it finds the perfect opening and strikes. These mindgames can be especially dangerous with Virizion having access to moves like Swords Dance and Agility - clicking on one of these instead of an attack can easily catch a wall trying to stall stuck in a loop and tricking them into full health at the same time it gets another double damage boost. Then it's night night to the wall, and possibly the rest of the game. In addition, ausma had the FANTASTIC suggestion of Heal Pulse - allowing Virizion to force the enemy back to full in order to break them (a statement that sounds hilariously counterintuitive). The move is most often troll in singles - while it does achieve the doubled damage from the ability, Swords Dance does the same thing just a lot better. However, it's still a potential anti-meta option if you're looking to counter Haze Toxapex or Mega Empoleon, for instance. Its true power lies in doubles - there, Heal Pulse is an excellent role compression option that provides valuable team support on a mon with great special defense while also being able to function as a slightly worse Swords Dance in the same move slot against any enemies Virizion needs to break that have gotten chipped.

While physical sets are obviously the better iteration due to double STABs and more coverage that can use its ability (plus SEdge), we did our best to make special sets both viable and mechanically interesting/distinct. Due to its high special defense and low defense, it has potential to actually run max defense/max special attack for a bulky Calm Mind set - running Giga Drain for longevity, Aura Sphere as a reliable secondary STAB, and Air Slash as its special tool to get help from its ability in order to break through Bug/Poison/Flying type walls that would otherwise give it trouble. One of the benefits of being special is not having to worry about Intimidate which could gimp your ability proc's damage, but even more importantly ignoring burns. While Virizion has a high special defense, resists water, and wants to kill waters, most specially offensive walls are commonly Water-types running Scald, which can make it very susceptible to being Burned if the Virizion user plays poorly and can't properly capitalize on the times it comes in safely, forcing it to roll Scald more often until it gets neutered. Special Virizion has no such problems and can switch in on these mons for days, as well as having access to recovery via Giga Drain and being able to completely heal off the chip.

I could talk about specific matchups all day (and all night, considering what time it is for me right now :P) - Mega Empoleon, Toxapex, Gliscor, Lando-T, Greninja, Koko, etc. However, this mon performs such a fantastic balancing act that this post could go on forever discussing its relationships with all of the meta Pokemon. Instead, I'm going to leave you all with the most Legendary Mega ever made, and leave you to bask in its glory. You're welcome.
1639519652904.png

:guzzlord: Mega Guzzlord: BlueRay !!
Mega Guzzlord

Ability: Guts

Type: Dark | Dragon

New Stats:

HP: 223
Attack: 101 → 149 (+48)
Defense: 53 → 61 (+8)
Special Attack: 97 → 101 (+4)
Special Defense: 53 → 83 (+30)
Speed: 43 → 53 (+10)
BST: 570 → 670 (+100)

New moves:
Gunk Shot, Spikes

Description:
1) Concept
Guzzlord's Guts is a word play. On the one hand, it refers to bravery; on the other hand, it alludes to entrails.

And that is the start of a sob story. If you played through USUM, you might have come across a futuristic Hau'oli City. Among the ruins of the city, you can encounter a sole Guzzlord. Some fans have theorized that Guzzlord is, in fact, a mutated form of Alolan Muk as a result of removing nuclear waste. But something must have gone wrong; the Pokémon and people who have once inhabited the town are now gone, seemingly leaving behind only Guzzlord. With no new source of nuclear waste available to them anymore, they now have to eat whatever they find in the ruins. That's quite a sad story. Abandoned, these Guzzlord must brave out their situation, with no solution in sight.

2) Competitive
This Guzzlord uses its dualtype to comfortably switch into types that commonly inflict status issues, thereby boosting its power to a terrifying level.

Generally speaking, Guts users rely on an item like Flame Orb or Toxic Orb to trigger their ability. Since that is not possible on a Mega Pokémon as they have to run a Mega Stone, you need to look for some ways to activate the ability. Enter Guzzlord, which comes with a dual Dark and Dragon type. This allows it to resist Scald from the many bulky Water Pokémon we have in our metagame, Discharge from Zapdos, and Lava Plume from some Heatran and Mega Magmortar. As you can see, Guzzlord has a very beneficial defensive typing as a Guts user, which none of the current ones have. Moreover, people often run Toxic or Sludge Bomb on their Water, Fire, and Grass Pokémon, like Empoleon, Toxapex, Heatran, Amoonguss or Tangrowth. So, there are plenty opportunities for Guzzlord to get a status problem.

While Guzzlord mainly draws its defensive potential from a Dragon type, the Dark type can be used to apply offensive pressure as it is one of the best offensive types. This can be seen with Slowbro or Galarian Slowking who are often fishing for burns or poison. Since they are weak to Dark, Guzzlord's typing would be very appealing here to deal with these Pokémon.

If you look at its movepool, you will notice it has many good contact moves, like Knock Off or Heat Crash. In a metagame filled with Static, Flame Body, and Poison Point users, starting from Zapdos to Moltres and Nidoqueen, Guzzlord is really incentivized to use these moves if it wants to activate the ability. Furthermore, the addition of Spikes makes sure the opponent will have to send out a Defogger like Zapdos or Moltres sooner or later. And that's when you can send out Guzzlord to make sure it can attack these Pokémon to potentially trigger its ability.

Using contact moves and relying on its defensive profile are not the only ways to take advantage of the ability; in fact, thanks to its good special bulk, Mega Guzzlord can try to pull off a Rest + Sleep Talk set, which synergizes well with Guts. Between Knock Off and Gunk Shot, Guzzlord should be able to hit a wide range of targets.
1639519673276.png
Kero, my dude, my man, calm down, you're making everyone else look bad!

I think someone else is posting after me with the balance change results, so I'll leave that to them, but for now I do have the results of the poll for the next slate:
:ss/lickilicky: :ss/tsareena: :ss/grapploct:
We're taking a short break before we open submissions proper, so one of us will be back sometime this Friday to open Slate 41, which will be :lickilicky: Mega Lickilicky, :tsareena: Mega Tsareena and :grapploct: Mega Grapploct!

See yall then!​

Hi! I'm here with another poll on Balance Changes. The previous one mainly focused on revamping the speed tier of our custom Mega Pokémon. The new one, on the other hand, tries to buff some of M4A's Mega Pokémon. At the end of this post, you'll find a link where you can vote on each balance changes. Bear in mind you need to sign in. But don't worry, no one can see your email account.

:Electrode:
Camouflage is for flavour as Electrode is a mimic, and can potentially create a fun experience; after all, this move can turn the user into a Normal type Pokémon, giving M Electrode thus STAB on Explosion. This would allow M Electrode to become more threatening once its checks and counters are gone or weakened.
:Regice:
Life Dew can potentially give players a reason to use it in VGC; in fact, the combination of Hail + Aurora Veil + Life Dew is pretty unique and allows both M Regice and its partner to stay relatively long on the field. Meteor Beam is more of a useful tool for Regice’s base form because it could pull off a Rock Polish much more efficiently in Singles or apply immediate offensive pressure in VGC.
:Eelektross:
Currently, M Eelektross favours a special or utility set due to their efficiency. So, there’s not much reason to expand on M Eelektross’s other potential strengths, like a Coil set or a mixed set as its physical movepool is rather mediocre. Gunk Shot would improve it significantly because of its high power and the fact that it gives Eelektross a valuable Poison type defensively. This can be very useful against metagame defining Fairy Pokémon like Tapu Fini or Clefable.
:Cinccino:
Kero and I were planning on giving M Cinccino a dualtype (Normal / Fairy) to improve its resistance profile, making it less easy for the opponent to take it down. That’s important to note as M Cinccino is supposed to click multi-hit moves several times throughout the game to enable its team by wearing down opposing Pokémon. Stat wise, this is what we would suggest: 75 HP, 95 Atk, 80 Def, 65 SpA, 140 SpD, 115 Spe. This approaches M Toxtricity-Low-Key’s bulk level, especially on the special side and allows M Cinccino to strengthen defensive cores and check Specs Tapu Koko, Specs Grenina, Kommo-o, among many other special or mixed attackers.

Link to a poll on Balance Changes: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...ZhcfUhYhKB923UAZg/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0

Mega Lickilicky.png

:Lickilicky: Mega Lickilicky
New Ability
: Own Tempo/Oblivious/Cloud Nine => Smartenate (This Pokemon's Normal-type moves become Psychic-type moves and have their power multiplied by 1.2. This effect comes after other effects that change a move's type, but before Ion Deluge and Electrify's effects.)
Type: Psychic
Mega Stone: Lickilickite

New stats:
HP: 110
Attack: 85 => 95 (+10)
Defense: 95 => 115 (+20)
Special Attack: 80 => 130 (+50)
Special Defense: 95 => 125 (+30)
Speed: 50 => 40 (-10)
(615 BST)

New moves: Psywave, Glare, Boomburst
Description: Behold the smarter Lickilicky! This is more made to be unique than anything else. It makes great use of its wide special coverage options and two NUKE options: Smartenate (Couldn't think of a better name) boosted Boomburst and Explosion. I don't think it will be a metagame superstar, but it is still a unique option.
Dex Entry: Its brain is flowing with Mega Evolution energy and it got smarter as a result. Mega Lickilicky controls the acid saliva from its tongue so it can use it to finish off a weakend foe.
The others might come soon!

View attachment 392681
:Lickilicky: Mega Lickilicky
New Ability
: Own Tempo/Oblivious/Cloud Nine => Smartenate (This Pokemon's Normal-type moves become Psychic-type moves and have their power multiplied by 1.2. This effect comes after other effects that change a move's type, but before Ion Deluge and Electrify's effects.)
Type: Psychic
Mega Stone: Lickilickite

New stats:
HP: 110
Attack: 85 => 95 (+10)
Defense: 95 => 115 (+20)
Special Attack: 80 => 130 (+50)
Special Defense: 95 => 125 (+30)
Speed: 50 => 40 (-10)
(615 BST)

New moves: Psywave, Glare, Boomburst
Description: Behold the smarter Lickilicky! This is more made to be unique than anything else. It makes great use of its wide special coverage options and two NUKE options: Smartenate (Couldn't think of a better name) boosted Boomburst and Explosion. I don't think it will be a metagame superstar, but it is still a unique option.
Dex Entry: Its brain is flowing with Mega Evolution energy and it got smarter as a result. Mega Lickilicky controls the acid saliva from its tongue so it can use it to finish off a weakend foe.
The others might come soon!
Capture.PNG

Hey there, submissions are currently closed due to the above, but it'll probably be open soon! You can sub once submissions are open :)

Hello!

I’m here with a report on the second team tournament called M4Auction, which, after eight to nine exciting weeks, finally reached its conclusion on December 25. For those unfamiliar with the event, M4Auction stands for Megas for All Auction and is led by four managers, each one of them nominating players that signed up to bid on. Furthermore, each manager starts with a set amount of money and must fill all nine slots with players. Additionally, if there’s enough money left, more players can be bought to substitute a player unable to participate in a certain week, for instance.

The nine slots I was talking about refer to eight different formats. OU (which exists twice), UU, VGC, Monotype, Generation, Super Smash Bros Brawl (SSBR), Report Card, and Regional Roundup Dittos. In Generation, each player can only choose one of the Mega Pokémon from a slate, which varies from week to week. In SSBR, each player receives two Pokémon with an unusual set, like Choice Specs Gyarados for instance, and they have to use one of them in a match. As for Report Card, each player has to submit three Mega Pokémon from different rankings, and the receiver must use one of the chosen Mega Pokémon. This is interesting in so far as you could submit three Mega Pokémon weak to Fighting and then build a team to take advantage of this weakness. Regional Dittos, on the other hand, only allows Pokémon from a particular generation. If, say, this week were gen 7, then, only new Pokémon from that generation would be allowed to be used, such as Decidueye or Alolan Ninetales.

As you may guess from the formats, there is a huge emphasis on gimmicks and having a fun time. Even more serious formats like VGC are not exempt from them; in fact, VGC in M4Auction is like a carousel. You first start with Standard in game 1, but you then have to play either Restricted (which usually contains Uber Pokémon like Zacian) or Dynamax in game 2 and 3.

Now, in this post, I will talk about my experiences as a participant and player. Afterwards, I will briefly focus on the state of the metagame. Towards the end, there will be a huge shoutout to some selected individuals and my teammates.

When M4Auction was announced, I was pretty excited as I had lots of fun in the last team tournament, which was the M4A Premier League. As a manager, I got to know my players on a more familiar level, and I had an amazing time contributing to the lore that the community, as a whole, had started to create. So, by the time M4Auction begun, I hoped I would experience this again. Also, since I only signed up as a player, I thought there would be less stress for me, and it would be interesting anyway to experience this sort of tournament from the lens of a player rather than a manager.

Now, in hindsight, I’m not sure if there’s much of a big difference between these two perspectives as I ended up helping my teammates more than I expected anyway, but I’d say I noticed a much greater awareness of a format’s metagame. When I was manager, my attention was split among my players, making sure they were well prepared. So, I could not deeply immerse myself in a metagame. But as a player, I had more time and energy to focus on myself since my manager was taking care of all of his players. So, there was much less of a burden on me.

I have to say the more weeks passed and the more sets were discovered, the more difficult it was trying to account for all huge threats in the teambuilder. Some of the most impactful discoveries made were a result from Paul’s experiments and rich metagame knowledge in and outside of M4A, and in indulging his creative mind, he really managed to turn the metagame upside down, in my opinion. For instance, he introduced the Substitute + Calm Mind set on Mega Slowking, which took advantage of the high offensive teambuilding preference. After all, with a much higher speed tier and power level, traditionally safe team styles like Balance were no longer as effective as they used to be, thereby leading Bulky Offense to one of the best play styles in our current metagame. This came with a notable weakness in that Bulky Offense relied less on defensive options and usually could not withstand high offensive pressure for a long time. This meant that, once defensive Pokémon like Toxapex were severely weakened or out of the picture, Mega Slowking could try to safely set-up behind a Substitute and launch some powerful Scald, burning attackers and making them less effective in the process. As Mega Slowking outspeeds most offensive attackers and can recover before getting hurt most of the time, you had to find some ways to deal with it and preserve some of your key Pokémon.

Another set that proved to be quite effective and ingenious by Paul was the Substitute + Toxic set on Mega Empoleon. Due to its high bulk, good resistance profile, and useful ability, this Pokémon could well force out Pokémon. By running Substitute, the user could make sure that, whatever Pokémon the opponent would send out, it would have to destroy the Substitute first before it could attempt to hurt Mega Empoleon. And this is where Mega Empoleon can simply click Toxic or fish for burn to wear down the target and switch out. What’s more, Mega Empoleon also takes advantage of some trends, such as Slowbro which is used to check Cinderace. Usually, Slowbro would switch into Mega Empoleon’s Scalds and then bring in safely a Pokémon through Teleport. Now, behind a Substitute, Mega Empoleon could simply Toxic both Slowbro and, possibly, the new target being brought in. You can imagine how much of a pain this set is to deal with if you aren’t running specific Pokémon or aren’t running specific strategies to discourage the user from abusing this set.

As a player, I have a lot of respect for Paul’s discoveries which challenge our knowledge about the metagame. After all, Mega Slowking and Mega Empoleon have already existed long before M4Auction, and it is only during the second team tournament when people were made aware of these sets. If there was an award for the most creative, diverse, and impactful teambuilding, I’d give it to Paul without a doubt. Chapeau, if you are reading this, Paul! :]

Some other impactful changes to the metagame were the rise of Kyurem and its diverse sets from OU (like Never-Melting-Ice, Choice Scarf or Dragon Dance) applied to our metagame. When, before, you could get away with soft checks, you now had to run sturdier options, like Scizor or Corviknight, the latter being required to run a high amount of Special Defense. Then, after my manager Sticky Fingaa (re)introduced us to the threat of Prankster Will-o-Wisp on Mega Clefable in combination with a set-up move like Nasty Plot, people were forced to take into account Pokémon that could somewhat get around Prankster Will-O-Wisp while still being able to threaten it, especially if they relied on very offensive inclined teams. This proved to be a challenge as Dark Pokémon, while immune to the effects of Prankster, were threatened by Mega Clefable’s Fairy type. Thus, there were less options to deal with this Pokémon.

As you may have now realized, there’s a lot of pressure on the teambuilder. As a result, the metagame has turned into a place where most games are decided by matchup. While you could try to build a team that can check some of the most common threats defensively and solidly, it might easily fall apart by other threats you didn’t or couldn’t take into account since there are simply too many threats and too many combinations possible to pick apart teams that are not quick or effective enough to make progress.

This is not to say the whole tournament was an unpleasant experience as far as OU is concerned; quite the contrary, there were some sets that, while not necessarily standard or viable, proved to be very effective or just fun to watch. I won’t go too much into details since I know there are some people from the community who want to work on a post describing these sets in detail, but I can give some brief mentions, such as Choice Scarf Weavile unexpectedly taking out a faster Mega Kricketune in Regional Ditto or Colbur Berry Glowking, which could punish opponents thinking they could rely on a Dark Pokémon to threaten it.

Now, I want to talk about my experiences as a player on a team, the Diggersbys which is led by the amazing Sticky Fingaa. I already knew him from M4A PL as he was one of my most trusted players. So, when he managed to bring me into his team, I was content to have one very familiar face at the very least. After all, there were some people I either didn’t know or wasn’t as familiar with as someone like Paul or Indigo. You could say it was pretty much unfamiliar territory for me. This was further stressed by the fact that the atmosphere was different from what I was used to on my own team in M4A PL. However, as with many other “encounters” in real life, you just need to get used to new situations and be patient, and with time, I can confidently say each one of us became a lot closer and silly x). Bacon power, hello? (This is more of an inside joke)

As a team, we worked very hard to get as many points as possible to make it into the finals. This often meant analysing our opponent’s team styles and thought process and discussing them in detail. Besides, we also focused a lot on training to make sure our Pokémon teams would work well enough. There was also trust in each other. If someone didn’t participate very much in conversation, that was simply okay as real life would and should always be your priority; we backed up each other, easing the burden on a single person, and made sure to cheer up each other whenever we lost or had a bad day. It was a very pleasant environment in which to grow and be a part of. This couldn’t have been possible without the efforts of Sticky Fingaa who really made sure we were well taken care of. :]

The players in M4Auction were all amazing. It became very much clear in the beginning that the competitive level had raised a lot. Meaning, the gap between the top players and the more unfamiliar players was significantly reduced. There was also much less of a gap among the top players, in my opinion. This led to some very exciting games where new or less experienced players could prove themselves to be formidable opponents.

Personally, the more weeks went by, the more challenging the games became for me. For instance, facing Paul who’s like one of my best friends on Smogon has always been very emotional to me in a tournament setting; I simply cannot think clearly and am a lot more sluggish, and he delivered one hell of a game, showing he has grown immensely as a player.

GekoKeso is another person I had to respect simply because I had to be very careful with my assessment of his moves (especially since he’s a chess player), and he had proven himself to be a very challenging opponent with his different team styles.

Then, there’s pupugugu who’s always been a very consistent player; he’s always making smart moves, and that always makes me question whether or not I should dare to take a risk.

The last two weeks of the tournament were probably the most challenging ones for me. In week 6, I had to face GravityMonkey who’s a superb builder in Regional Roundup Dittos as indicated by his great understanding of the metagame and success there. He also plays very well and is right in his element. So, I had to invest a lot more time into teambuilding and testing than usual before I was ready to face him

In the finals, I was facing Iso whom I personally consider one of M4A’s best players. To give you an example of how crazily good this guy is, he has beaten a very experienced and high-level player named pohjis in ST Bo3, a format he wasn’t super familiar with at all, to my knowledge.

As I had to face an opponent of such magnitude, I needed to invest even more time into teambuilding and testing than before. (To give you an example, a Pokémon team that had or would likely indicate a win rate below 75% was simply unacceptable for me to use in finals). Moreover, I had to recall some of our previous games and keep track of how each one of us played and which plays I could afford to pull off and which ones I couldn’t; after all, Iso is a very perceptive person and a quick learner as he rarely makes a mistake twice, if at all. Furthermore, I had to assess his thought process when it came to the choice of teams and their order, which only paid off to some extent; while I expected the possibility of Stall in the first round to test the waters and a team around Mega Empoleon in round 2, I did not consider a canon Mega Pokémon like Mega Latias on Stall at all. There was also Paul’s influence on him to consider, making Iso even more of an unpredictable and challenging opponent. This is stressed by the fact Paul is very familiar with my thought process.

Of the three games Iso and I had played, I only came to enjoy a bit the last one in terms of playing skills despite the few hax moments from both sides. That is because I had a very challenging match-up; it was my Hail team against his Mega Magmortar whose ability Neutralising Gas could shut down my team’s main power. Ngl, this matchup situation looked pretty hopeless to me, and I was tempted to just forfeit (and cry in a corner) before the battle had even started. But I had to calm myself down for the sake of my team and think about what I needed to do. I had to plan and set up my win conditions well ahead while also trying to correctly assess his thought process for the current turn and the next four to five ones. On top of that, I also had to hope I could manage to bluff and avoid some of his potential baits and tricks towards the end. This was a very deadly and mentally exhausting game, one I probably won’t forget for a very long time.

With that being said, I want to focus on my teammates now. A huge thank you goes to my manager Sticky Fingaa who managed this position very well as he always tried to cheer us up and make sure we were well prepared. I enjoyed the many games we played, some of which were more ridiculous and amusing than others. What’s more, it was a pretty amusing revelation when the both of us realized M4Auction pretty much turned us into tryhards. I wonder if Mossy’s presence (who’s like the embodiment of it in past times) had any influence on us x)

Another thank you goes to Ed.Capetinha. You’ve been very astounding in UU, and you’ve shown me in OU what material you are made of. You can be pretty brutal on the teambuilder, and I hope you can keep that creative mind! Thanks to you, I got the chance to think more outside of the box and expand on my teambuilding skills. Furthermore, I appreciated your support for the whole team!

Next, I want to talk about you, neon! I know you feel like you couldn’t contribute much to the team. However, without your presence in the server, it wouldn’t have been the same; in a way, you could say you were the soul of the Diggersby. It was always fun to see your reactions towards new SSBR sets. What’s more, you were always someone we could rely on; you were always there when we needed you!

Kha243. Although you were pretty much a new addition to our team in week 4 or 5, it was a pretty interesting experience to get to know you; after all, you are a very competitive person, always trying to improve yourself and help other people. In the few weeks, you’ve shown what a great player you are, and I am sure that you will be highly sought after in the next team tournament!

Mossy, Mossy, Mossy. I make it short; you are an amazing and funny person. What I could learn from you is Bacon power is real and op.

Superior Serperior, you are an astounding player. While you might have doubted yourself in training, you were very consistent and cool-headed in the actual games. These are rare qualities, in my experiences, and I hope you know you can be proud of them. :]

Bita, you are a pretty fun person, and I love how you are always trying to see the positive in a situation. Working with you was a very pleasant experience, and you’ve been pretty good throughout this tournament. I’ll be looking forward to more games from you!

Banguela and Miojo. Woopersons hyped you up a lot, and you definitely lived up it. Banguela, you had very interesting and effective teams and generally played very well, so, I admired your work a lot! Miojo, you’ve been pretty astounding even though you weren’t familiar with M4A at all. You got pretty used to the metagame to the point where I have to say people likely wouldn’t realize you were new to it. Keep up the good work!

Delta, wherever you are, I hope you are doing fine at the moment. I mention you because, despite your short presence, you’ve been very helpful in training and kind.

Now that I’ve covered every active member of Diggersby, I would like to extend my gratitude towards some people outside of this group.

Paul, once again, we weren’t on the same team. If this happens again, I swear the M4A gods are just against us. Despite our different circumstances, we always managed to find some time to just talk to each other, letting the other know about our own experiences on a totally new team, among many other things. I don’t know about you but it was pretty relaxing and enjoyable, which was sorely needed in such an intense tournament setting! As an “outsider”, I got the chance to observe your team. The teams you provided with them were top-notch and, above all, interesting. Moreover, you’ve grown immensely as a player to the point where I can see you among the top players! I’m confident you will all impress us even more than you already do in the next tournaments!

GekoKeso, you’ve been a huge help to the team in the last week. Training and discussing with you was a very interesting experience. But what’s more important is you have a big heart and are quite patient and positive! I can only imagine how much of a positive force you are on your own team!

I have nothing more to do; it was a very interesting and fun tournament experience. Thank you to all the people who participated and organised the event. You are all amazing :]

:xerneas:

Hello, everyone!! It's been a bit since last we opened a slate because the holiday season is always busy, but we areee finally back! Thank you for your patience as always!!
My new year's resolution is to get through two slates this month...! Imagine that--

Right, so let's get to this...!
There are a couple of important announcements before we start!

:raichu::parasect::talonflame:

First of all, for anyone who missed it (apparently some people on Discord missed it--) DH is currently live through slate 40 and the balance changes from the end of last slate are all live!

- The full set of Speed reevaluations passed with 100% approval, and we publicly talked over all of the few comments that were made in the #balance-changes channel on Discord, where it was agreed that they did not need to alter the results;​
- 100% of voters agreed to remove Calm Mind from :starmie: Starmie;​
- 64.3% of voters (9 people out of 14) agreed to replace the effect of Summer Days on :sawsbuck-summer: Mega Sawsbuck - this one was notably a more lukewarm reception, but it was still above the established 60% threshold, and it's worth restating that this was planned as a temporary measure before a proper rework;​
- 92.9% of voters (13 people out of 14) agreed to change :hydreigon: Mega Hydreigon's Speed tier, which was done separately because it was notably less pressing as a balance change than other reworks but was still clearly supported by an overwhelming majority of people; and​
- while 1 person voted to give :meowstic-f: Mega Meowstic-F +10 Defense (maximum competitive benefit) and 4 voted to give it +10 Attack (minimum competitive benefit), a much greater majority in 64.3% of voters (9 people out of 14) voted to split the points evenly between Attack and Defense, giving it a final spread of 74 HP / 63 Attack / 96 Defense / 133 Special Attack / 96 Special Defense / 104 Speed.​

In short, all of those changes passed, and they have been playable on DH since the 26th along with slate 40! C:
I have also been informed that the more recent set of balance changes announced by BlueRay have all passed, so I will submit a pull request to make those changes live later tonight if I can!
The following changes are not yet live, but they have all been approved:

- 100% of voters agreed to add Camouflage to :electrode: Electrode;​
- 77.8% of voters (14 people out of 18) agreed to add Gunk Shot to :eelekross: Eelektross;​
- 88.9% of voters (16 people out of 18) agreed to add Life Dew to :regice: Regice, and 77.2% of voters (13 people out of 18) agreed to add Meteor Beam to it; and​
- 83.3% of voters (15 people out of 18) agreed to revise :cinccino: Mega Cinccino as described.​

All of these changes will go live as soon as possible! Thank you guys for your support! C:

:obstagoon::cinccino::zangoose:

Next up, we have dates to announce for the suspect test of :kyurem: Kyurem!
We have council members ready to run three different suspect tours:

- Friday, January 7th at 22:00 GMT​
- Saturday, January 8th at 15:00 GMT​
- Sunday, January 9th at 19:00 GMT​

All of those are this weekend! The times were chosen in an attempt to reach as much of our playerbase as possible, since there are people all around the world and it's hard for everyone to make the same time - you're still only expected to make it to one of the suspect tours if you want to vote!

In addition, we have revised the structure of our suspect voting process to be inclusive of more of the playerbase, since the last tours were structured in a way that didn't reeeally leave a deciding vote in the hands of anyone outside of the council, and that was something we regretted about them.

The short of it is: everyone who participates in the suspect tour will have a vote, but your vote will be weighted more highly based on how you perform (specifically the number of sets you win in your best performance of the three tours).​
Each member of our established competitive council (that's ausma, BlueRay, Bolivia, IsoCon, Paulluxx, ViZar, Mossy Sandwich, pupugugu and Exploziff) will have just one additional "point" added to their own vote.​
(Any competitive council members who do not participate in at least one of the tours will still be excluded from the vote unless they demonstrate that they have watched the replays from the tours themselves to establish as current and meta-specific as possible an understanding of Kyurem's role.)
Each qualifying member of the competitive council may also award just one additional "point" to any one other user based on participation during a public discussion after the suspect tours conclude - even if that user didn't participate in the tour, provided they show they spectated well enough to gain a complete and current understanding of Kyurem's role.​
One more constraint: there is considered to be a cap on the weight of any one vote, because we don't want one person having way more of a say than everyone else.​
As was previously noted, the number of sets won in your best tour performance decides how many "points" your vote has to start with. Whoever has the highest number of points from a suspect tour sets the cap - that user cannot keep getting more "points" than they won in the tour, and no other user can get more "points" than them.​

Whew, I hope that all makes sense! Ironing out the details was something of a team effort; we tried hard to cover all of our bases and make the process as inclusive and representative as possible! Particular thanks to Paulluxx, IsoCon and KeroseneZanchu!
Consider Kyurem's suspect a first test run of a more inclusive suspect format - we're hoping this will give more of the community a voice, and if it goes well, you can expect to see something close to it (give or take some tweaks based on trial and feedback) to come back for future suspect tours, which are planned to include :cinderace: Cinderace, :tapu-lele: Tapu Lele, :empoleon: Mega Empoleon, not necessarily in that order!

And finally, the moment you've been waiting for...!

Submissions for
Slate 41 - :lickilicky: Lickilicky, :tsareena: Tsareena and :grapploct: Grapploct -
are now open!
:sm/lickilicky::sm/tsareena:

Gen VII-style Grapploct render from this incredible project by DJTHED

One super small last piece of advice that's always worth having in mind and came up a bit last slate:
When you're doing stats for :lickilicky: a Pokémon with a high base HP, small increases to bulk often count for more than you'd expect! Just keep an eye on this and make sure you don't go overboard without realizing.

Edit: aaa I forgot to announce a closing time--
ahem.
I'm on top of this

You can expect to see the standard end-of-slate feedback and veto post some 96 hours from now (05:00 GMT on the 9th), and submissions will officially close 24 hours after that post goes up!

Edit 2: added in detailed results of the second balance changes poll!

Last edited:
:ss/grapploct:
Mega Grapploct
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ability: Prankster
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stats:
Hp
: 80
Atk: 148 (+30)
Def: 120 (+30)
SpA: 70
SpD: 120 (+40)
Spe: 42
New Moves: Recover, Mat Block
Description: Grapploct, while having a sick design, it was a bad pokemon. Being too slow, not strong enough, is not so bulky, and the wack move pool. With Octolock trapping, the opponent's Defensive stat will be lowered over time, letting it to wears down the opponent and killing them. It has access to Taunt, which is perfect for stallbreaking. Bulk Up is a great move too, letting it take physical attack more easily. Prankster Coaching is something new, that can only be seen on Riolu, which is too weak. Topsy Turvy, would help it by a lot against set-up sweepers, and in VGC it would be hilarious since Incineroar is still roaming wild there. Mat Block is a bad move, in double because it has no priority, and well in double there are a shit ton of priority moves, so prankster would give it the chance to being at least somewhat not bad. Prankster Recover works similarly to Clefable's Prankster Soft Boiled. And this is a fighting type, meaning that it wouldn't be afraid of dark type blocking its moves. Flavorwise, this thing is based on octopus, one of the smartest creatures ever existing on earth, so Prankster perfectly fits it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here comes the "coollaboration" between me and Bolivia Hematemesis
:ss/tsareena:
Mega Tsareena
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ability: Procession
- User and its ally receive x 0.75 damage until they move that turn.
Stats:
HP:
Atk: 160 (+40)
Def: 108 (+10)
Spa: 70 (+20)
Spd: 108 (+10)
Spe: 92 (+20)
New Moves: None
This ability is pretty simple. If you can't outspeed to deal with them, tank them better first. This is somewhat similar to Ausma's Sirfetch'd's Parry but more supportive. Queenly Majesty, its signature ability is a supportive ability too. This ability can be a tradeoff from fully blocking priority to taking less damage from priority moves + any faster opponent. About Mega Tsareena by itself, well it doesn't have any way to boost its attack stat on its own, nor damage boosting ability. It does have an excellent high bp movepool tho. About the uses of it:
+) Single: Not as good as double, but certainly not bad. I have some bad sample set here:

Code:
 Sweeper?
Tsareena (F) @ Tsareenite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Power Whip
- Triple Axel
- U-turn

Code:
 Utility
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin/Knock Off
- Power Whip
- Synthesis
- U-turn
+) Ok so here comes its double uses. Base Tsareena on its own is a great pokemon, providing a passive quick guard for itself and its ally with Queenly Majesty. Procession and Queenly Majesty can somehow work together if you know when is the best time for you to mega. If they hit you with a weak (most of the time) priority move while you aren't mega yet, you would block them. And if they decide to hit you as strong as possible with non-prioritized moves, you would tank them better. If they lower your speed, you'd tank them better. Tsareena can work well as an offensive role and a supportive role.

Code:
Offensive Role:
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Power Whip
- Triple Axel
- Protect/Taunt
Code:
 Supportive Role
Tsareena @ Tsareenite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Helping Hand
- Synthesis
- Power Whip
- Protect

Code:
 EXTREMELY COOL TR SWEEPER
Tsareena @ Tsareenite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Protect
- Triple Axel
- Power Whip
- High Jump Kick
- About the TR Sweeper specifically, it synergizes so damn well. On the first turn it can do whatever it wants, or just use protect, while its ally, who would be using Trick Room (a move with -7 priority, will most likely go last all the time) would tank even better. Its ability will less likely to activate when the TR is still on the field, but it's helpful at tanking some slower mon like Stakataka, or priority moves like Rillaboom's Grassy Glide.
1641832258806.png

Last edited:

Mega Tsareena
Grass/Poison
Ability
: Merciless

Stats:
Hp
: 72
Atk: 140 (+20)
Def: 120 (+22)
SpA: 62 (+12)
SpD: 115 (+17)
Speed: 101 (+29)

New moves: Blaze Kick, Stomping Tantrum, Poison Jab, Cross Poison

Dex Entry: Due to Tsareena's constant toxic personality whenever it wins, the energy from its Mega Stone causes it to become one with the poison. Though, it doesn't seem to mind as long as it continues dominating its opponents.

Since this is my first time doing an entry after stalking the forum for a few weeks, I didn't really have a good grasp of the metagame nor how to make actual good entries besides looking through the resources (and I am still lazy to do so like cmon im not a competitive player my competitiveness lasts like, a week or less. The resources were definitely helpful though.). Still, I got tempted and wanted to try! And knowing myself, I'll definitely do the future slates too because creating is fun :]

Now onto Tsareena. The reason why it has a Poison type added in is mainly because of this quote in Bulbapedia.

"Every time it lands a hit, it cackles at its opponent. It will even continue kicking or stepping on a downed opponent, laughing boisterously."

Yeah its terrifying. Anyway, Grass/Poison is also quite a good typing with Tsareena already having a solid movepool already. A physical Grass/Poison attacker seemed interesting too since the rest are special attackers. With the added Poison Jab and Cross Poison, it can take advantage of STAB poison if it wanted to. Blaze Kick and Stomping Tantrum are also up there for preference.

For the ability, it was originally either Moxie or Adrenaline from Mega Boltund. But I found out that they both seem so situational due to needing to knock out the opposing Pokemon. Sure they seem perfect flavorwise, but ehh. And so before I decide to make a custom ability (which no, i am not capable of yet), I went to check the whole list of abilities.

Merciless, attacks used by the Pokémon with this ability will always become critical hits against poisoned targets.

Haha, funky sadist pokemon mercilessly beating you up.

Yes, it still limits team building. You’d need to bring a Toxic Spikes setter for guaranteed poison on the opposing team. But if the tide is on Tsareena's side, then it could easily sweep teams or at least punch big holes for the rest of its team to clean up. And going against steel types? Boom, High Jump Kick or Blaze Kick. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tsareena's movepool is great. Perhaps it could be partnered up with a Pokemon with Corrosion for more poisoning. And even without the critical hits, it can still do big damage with its stats, especially its buffed up speed.

Mega Grapploct
Fighting/Steel
Ability
: Water Absorb

Stats:
Hp: 80
Atk: 118
Def: 130 (+40)
SpA: 70
SpD: 124 (+44)
Speed: 58 (+16)

New moves: Aqua Jet, Gyro Ball, Heavy Slam, Meteor Mash

Dex Entry: The energy from the Mega Stone hardens its muscle into pure steel, Raising its defenses drastically. With this though, it desires for more water due to Mega Evolution.

I have no flavor justification as to why it's muscles turned into steel, so aha— Fighting/Steel takes away all three of Fighting type's weaknesses at the expense of three others, to which Grapploct has the answer for with its Water moves in its movepool. New steel moves and Aqua Jet are now added too. Aqua Jet would probably be one of its main things going in its set.

Water Absorb is a nice ability for it to switch into Water moves for its teammates and to heal back HP. It also fits flavorwise since well, it goes back into the water after it fights. Lad needs to drink. Its defenses are raised so that it could take bigger hits, and can last in the field longer. It's a nice, tanky mon with an already solid attack stat from its original.

In short, haha metal octopus hydrate.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)