Memorable NPCs and dialog

One thing I'm kind of curious about is which characters are actually the most memorable -- especially among the characters that are essentially nameless (at least in gen 1, before they started giving names to NPC trainers). It seems like there are a lot of characters/quotes that people remember, and some of these might even be more memorable than the gym leaders and other major characters in the series. A few examples from gen 1 that come to mind:
  • "I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear!"
  • "Yo! Champ in making!"
  • "You're still light years from facing Brock!"
  • "I'm a rambling, gambling dude"
  • "TM18 is Counter! Not like the one I'm leaning on, mind you!"
  • "Technology is incredible! You can now store and recall items and Pokemon as data via PC!"
And then some other NPCs who aren't memorable from dialog, but from their role in the game:
  • The old man who teaches you how to catch a Weedle
  • The leering old man outside of Erika's gym
  • The moron in Cerulean who wanted to use the Dig TM on his Diglett before the Rocket stole it from him
  • The dude who inexplicably drops the lift key when all his Pokemon are defeated

This is sort of an adjacent topic, but I feel like most of the series most memorable lines are memorable mostly because of repetition, rather than due to any inherent funniness. For example, there's nothing particularly funny about "Yo, champ in making" or "technology is incredible," but because those lines are repeated so much throughout the series, they tend to stick out in many people's minds. And on the other side of things, I found myself scouring the "funny NPC quotes" list and finding scarce few quotes that I actually remembered from the games (though admittedly I didn't spent a ton of time replaying the Pokemon games after gen 5 or so).

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Through rigorous training, people and Pokémon can become stronger! I've weight trained with my Pokémon! And that will never change! We will grind you down with our superior power! Hoo hah! ~Bruno, Kanto Elite Four member

It dosnt matter how much you live, all that it matters is how well you lived. ~Grovyle, from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of Sky; Special Episode: In The Future Of Darkness

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Some of my favorite quotes from Sun & Moon:

Guzma: "Wanna see what destruction looks like? Here it is in human form—it's your boy Guzma!"

Gladion On Uninvited Visits: "Get out."

Gladion On Pokemon Battles: "You know why being a Trainer is so great? Because when you're battling, it doesn't matter if you're a kid or an adult. Everyone's equal in Pokémon battle!"

Lillie Speech To Lusamine:
"I am the one who is sick of you, Mother!"
"Children... Children are not just THINGS that belong to their parents! Pokémon are not just THINGS that a Trainer can do whatever they want to!"
"I am alive!"
"Cosmog is alive!"
"We are not things for you to collect!"
"We're not made for you to just discard when you get bored with us!"
"That is terrible, Mother! You are terrible!"

Lusamine's Comeback: "Terrible? Me? How am I different from any Pokémon Trainer, like your little "friend" there? What do you do with a Pokémon you can't use? You remove it from your party, as you please."

And here's a quick general one: "When two Trainers' eyes meet..."

On Lusamine's note, I have to give credit to her scene with her husband in USUM.

"After all, the way he smiles now... It's quite lovely, don't you think?"

A way bigger improvement from the selfish, beauty centered Lusamine that charaterized both entire SM and early USUM story, finally showing that she cares for someone (her husband in this case) and she doesn't want to ruin his "new life" since he looks very happy, even if this means she doesn't get to stay with him anymore.

Her new line after you meet her in Aether Paradise post-E4 is pretty neat too

"I am Lusamine. I am the president of this foundation and mother to Gladion and Lillie. And while I will pour my love into protecting Pokémon and my children from pain... I will also try to be strong enough to watch over them without interfering from now on. That would be an even more beautiful kind of love, wouldn't you say? I learned to think this way after watching you... young <player>."

I know I'm probably the only person on planet who loves USUM Lusamine (which is very similar to the anime Lusamine as well), but I love the transformation she goes through.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I know I'm probably the only person on planet who loves USUM Lusamine (which is very similar to the anime Lusamine as well), but I love the transformation she goes through.
It's not that I don't like or want a nice Lusamine, just the transformation from selfish Lusamine was too fast. Like, had it be done with SM Lusamine where, instead of Lillie and her going to Kanto, she was able to slowly recover over time in Aether Paradise and when finally fully healed revealed she had come to her senses I would be alright with that. She would have gone through a major experience and then spent the healing time (maybe have it be a month) thinking what she had done (and maybe also finally getting the medical and psychological therapy she kind of needed).

But in USUM? It was just way too fast. Lusamine loses to Necrozma, Lillie talks to her off screen, and now she's better? Granted, not impossible, if she took being defeated by Necozma hard which finally let Lillie able to reach her fine, but if that happened it did so OFF SCREEN. There's a difference between feeling satisfied about characters in a story getting a happy ending and the feeling satisfied the way it played out. Great, Lillie and Gladion has their mother back and Lusamine has learned the error of her ways, I am happy for their characters. But, I am dissatisfied the way it played out because I didn't see it. And there's no reason not to show the player either via a cutaway cutscene or while talking with Lillie or Lusamine post game we get a flashback of their conversation.

As for the anime, that's its own thing. We got Mother Beast in the end so I'm happy (well actually I'm not, but you just gotta draw some lines sometimes). Now bring on the Ultra Recon Squad.

However, and getting back on topic, this does remind me of one thing I wanted to do. Villain speeches is a long honored tradition so let's see if any villains (bosses and admins) had anything noteworthy:

Giovanni:
Rocket Hideout Before Battle (FRLG):
"I am the leader, Giovanni! For your insolence, you will feel a world of pain!"
Silph Co. Before Battle (Gen I): "Keep your nose out of grown-up matters... Or experience a world of pain!"
Before Gym Battle (Gen I): "This time, I'm not holding back! Once more, you shall face Giovanni, the greatest trainer!"
After Gym Battle Defeat (FRLG): "Having lost in this fashion, I can't face my followers. I have betrayed their trust. As of today, Team Rocket is finished forever! As for myself, I shall dedicate my life to training again. Let us meet again someday! Farewell!"
After Silver runs off saying he'll never be like him in the Celebi Event Flashback (HGSS): ".................. One day, you will understand."
Tohjo Falls Before Battle (HGSS): "My old associates need me... We will not repeat the failure of three years ago! Team Rocket will be born again, and I will rule the world!"
Pokemon World Tournament (B2W2):
Before Battle: "For your insolence, you will feel a world of pain!"
In Lobby After Defeat: "I'll tell you this now... No matter how strong you are, someday you'll lose."
Rainbow Rocket Episode (USUM):
Before Battle: "Having a kid stand in front of me like this... Such a thing should never happen. But for some reason, it also makes me feel nostalgic."
Post Event Cutscene: "Now...what new world shall I unleash my evil schemes upon...?" *teleports away*

Proton:
Slowpoke Well Before Battle (HGSS):
"What do we have here? I am often labeled as the scariest and cruelest guy in Team Rocket… I strongly urge you not to interfere with our business!"

Petrel:
Team Rocket HQ Before Battle (HGSS):
"Huh? I don't sound anything like Giovanni? I don't even look like Giovanni? How come? I've worked so hard to mimic him!"
Goldenrod Radio Tower After Defeat (HGSS): "Listen carefully. We stashed the real Director in the underground warehouse. It's at the far end of the Goldenrod Tunnel. I am a nice guy. I will give you the Basement Key to get to the underground warehouse. Take it with gratitude!"

Ariana:
Team Rocket HQ (HGSS):

"However strong you may be, if the two of us fight at the same time, you'll have no chance of winning. Don't you agree? Hee hee hee! Sorry, baby. Now, get ready to be thrashed."
"What? You had an accomplice? Where is your sense of dignity?
Goldenrod Radio Tower After Defeat (HGSS): "What a waste… not to use your strength to do bad things! Feh… People like you will never in a million years understand our brilliance! It's too bad… I've really come to respect your strength."

Archer:
Rocket Warehouse (FRLG):

Before Battle: "That's quite enough of you playing the hero, kid. Spreading lies about how Team Rocket has disbanded… It's such an obvious attempt to cause confusion in our ranks. Fortunately, we're not so ignorant to fall for the lies of a child! And now, I'll show you how scary an angry adult can be!"
When Defeated: "Urgh… You were too strong… … Th-that's Giovanni's Badge! So it's true? Team Rocket really has disbanded?"
After Defeat: "We will abandon this Warehouse… But don't think this is over. I won't let this be the end. I will find Giovanni. And I will resurrect Team Rocket! I will… Until then, farewell!"
Goldenrod Radio Tower After Defeat (HGSS): "How could this be…? Our dreams have come to naught. I was not up to the task after all. Like Giovanni has done before me, I will disband Team Rocket here today. Farewell…"

Tabitha (ORAS):
Presenting all the weird sounds Tabitha makes in ORAS:

Meteor Falls: "Hyuh?" "Ahyahyahya!" "Hyuhn?" "Hyuhn?!" "Hyahya!" "Ahyahya!"
Mt. Chimney: "Hyahyahya?!" "Unngh!" "Hyuhn!" "Ahya! Ahyahyahyahya!"
Weather Institute: "Ahyahya!" "Ahya." "Ahyahya!" "Hah... Hah... Ahya... Ahya..." "Ahya! Ahyahyahyahya!"
Delta Episode: "Uwaahhh!" "Ahyahya!" "Ahyahyahyahya!" "Ahyahya!" "Ahyahya!" "Ahyahya!" "Ahya! Ahyahyahyahya!"
Alpha Sapphire: "Ahyahya!" "Hummph!" "Ahyahya!" "Ahya!"
ORAS Demo: "Ahyahya!" Hyuhn?!" "Ahya!" "Ahyahyahya!" "Hyuhn?!" "Hah... Hah... Ahyahyah..."
Mt. Chimney Before Battle: D-d-do you intend to get in my way once more? Unngh! You're really... really, really, really, really, really, really... really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really... reeeallllyyyy... an obnoxious child, aren't you?! Ahh... Ah... I will...crush you. So that you..never get in my way...again.
Weather Institute Before Battle: Even I, Tabitha, am feeling all discombobulated. Leader Maxie! What are you trying to do?! ...To the world. ...To us. ...To Team Magma. This can never, ever be forgiven!
"I can't believe you're even following me around in my private life."
ORAS Demo: I have never been so humiliated! You compare ME, Tabitha, the next Chief Admin of Team Magma, to a Makuhita?! You'd better at least make it a Hariyama!"

Courtney (ORAS):
Southern Island:

Before Battle: "Deleting..."
When Defeated: "... Slurp. ♪"
After Defeat: "As anticipated. Unanticipated. You. Target lock...completed. Commencing...experiment. You. Forever. Aha... ♪"
"Returning home."
Mt. Pyre:
Before Battle: "...Ha.""... ...Analyzing.""...Hah. ♪"
When Defeated: "...Funny. ♪"
After Defeat: "I'm looking forward to... I'm looking forward to... When we...can meet again."
Team Magma Hideout:
Before Battle: "... ...There's still more...work for me to do. ...I must...stop you. ...Until Leader Maxie...departs... ...But... ...Now...I just...want to... ...With you... ...I want to...engage... ...You... ...I want to...analyze. Ahahaha. ♪"
When Defeated: "Hah hah... Uhn...hah hah..."
Mossdeep Space Station:
Before Battle: "...Ha ha. ♪ Ahahaha! ♪ Ahahahaha haha! ♪ ♪ ♪ Ahahahaha hahahahahahaha! ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ... My team...The team I put all hope into...Leader Maxie...was broken. He was broken! He was broken by this brat!"
"Grr...Shut up! Enough! I've have enough of this world!"
"Don't. Get. In. My. Way."
After Defeat: "Why? Why must...you always...Always, always, always, always...Get in my way!"
"Darn! Dang it..."
Alpha Sapphire: "...Ma'am?!"
"I'll...make him cry..."
"You...seem fun. ♪ Target...locked... Aha. ♪"

Maxie:
Maxie's laugh:
"Fufufu..." and "Fuwahahahahaha!"
Maxie's Nickname for player: "Child"
Oceanic Museum (Omega Ruby): "For us to continue growing and evolving, humans require a grand stage upon which to stand. A land upon which we can stride forward... A land we can explore...develop...exploit... This is the basis for the growth of all human endeavor."
Mt. Chimney Before Battle (Omega Ruby): "I will bury you by my own hand. I hope you appreciate this honor!"
Seafloor Cavern After Defeat (Omega Ruby): "A message from our members outside? What is it? So the sun has turned mercilessly fierce in its heat. I should expect so. That is what I have long— No, what WE have long wished for. What?! The heat is greater than simulations predicted? It will be a risk to our own safety if it continues?! That cannot be..."
Route 128 (Omega Ruby): "... I... I wanted... I wanted to make... It was supposed to be a world where the human race would attain new heights... The next stage... Of our new development... It was all... For humanity's future..."
Delta Episode Epilogue (Omega Ruby): "My... You certainly cry a lot."
Seafloor Cavern (Alpha Sapphire): "The "beginning" that Primal Kyogre brings about... The way that it resets the world... It starts by driving every living thing on this planet to death first!"
Battle Resort (Alpha Sapphire): "In another time, or perhaps another world, one only a fraction of an inch removed from our own, it seems very likely that it would have been us in Team Magma standing against you in that battle... Perhaps we would have been the ones trying to revive Groudon and obtain its terrible power for ourselves..."
"But of course it is pure fantasy. Talking about other worlds, or alternative realities... It is just a dream for those of us living in the present world. Fuhahaha..."
Rainbow Rocket Episode (USUM): "I had finally realized my grand design, only to be swallowed by a great fissure that appeared beneath me... When I awoke, I was in this world."

Shelly (ORAS):
Mt. Chimney Before Battle:
"To Archie... me... and all of Team Aqua, your existence is annoying!"

Matt (ORAS):
Southern Island After Defeat:
"I love interesting, strong dudes! That's why I love my bro, Archie! And that's why I'm gonna start loving you from now on, too!"
Team Aqua Hideout:
Before Battle: "My bro Archie's in the ship! Come at me!"
After Defeat: "My bro Archie is everything to me... I live to serve my bro..."
ORAS Demo:
Arguing with Tabitha: "You're pretty funny, little man! I love funny, interesting dudes! That's why I love my bro, Archie! That's it, bro! Let's smash it out with a battle! I'm gonna love you to BITS!"
"Sounds pretty fun! Come at me, little man!
Forming A Truce To Battle Player & Steven: "Good idea, bro! That's my funny little man! You, me, and our Pokémon are gonna have a real good time later!"
Secret Adventure: "And this time there's a girl! She looks worth pummeling, too!"

Archie:
Archie's Laugh:
"Bwahahaha!"
Maxie's Nickname for player: "Scamp"
Oceanic Museum (Alpha Sapphire): "So tell me, boyo..."
"We are creating a world in which innocent Pokémon suffer as a result of our actions... And that is something that I can't forgive! That's why I came to a decision, see? The foolish actions of my fellow humans, the seas we have blighted, nature itself… I will return everything to its unspoiled beginnings!"
Mt. Chimney (Alpha Sapphire):
Before Battle: "See, this Meteorite that I just got from good ol Professor High-an'-Mighty back there..."
"Look what I nearly went an' did! If I give away all my secrets, all the thrill'd be gone from our relationship! I think I'll just leave you hanging here."
When Defeated: "Oh! You went and did it, didn't you?"
After Defeated: "Scamp, I'm gonna have to ask you to hold that thought. I've gotta use my time-out."
"Sorry, scamp. When you're a grown-up, y'see, sometimes things crop up. Gotta put our battle on hold till next time. Take this. Should help keep ya busy till we settle the score. Have fun with it, hey?"
Mt. Chimney (Omega Ruby): "Get out of my blasted way, ye scurvy Team Magma knaves! Or face a keelhauling!"
"Confound the lot of you! Let me through, you bilge rats!"
Mt. Pyre (Alpha Sapphire): "...Ma-a-att!"
Slateport Harbor (Alpha Sapphire): "Ahhh... Ahhh... Testing, testing. One, two, three... OK. I hope you're listening out there..."
"But I know you gotta do what you gotta do, scamp."
"We'll see you there, then! My little scamp adversary! Grahahaha!"
Seafloor Cavern Before Battle (Alpha Sapphire): "Is that crew outside? What is it…? Oh? So the great deluge has begun… Bwahahahaha! But of course it has! That is exactly what I have- What…? What do you mean far more than we thought?! It can't be… Then if it completes its Primal Reversion… N-never mind that! Just keep an eye on it!"
Route 128 (Alpha Sapphire): "... I... I only wanted... I wanted to make... a world where Pokémon could live on... in peace... Where... that... Pokémon..."
Route 128 (Omega Ruby): "All of us, people and Pokémon... Every living thing on this planet... Everything's gonna die..."
Delta Episode (Alpha Sapphire): "I'll be keelhauled! How did I get beat by this little slip of a girl?"
Battle Resort (Alpha Sapphire): "You know, if we lived in a slightly different world, it might have been me and my crew that you'd had to stop... It's not a stretch to think that we might have tried reviving Kyogre to try to use its power for ourselves... You know?"
"Bwahahaha! It's nonsense, of course! It's not like there could be another world out there just like ours, eh? That's why we dream, right? Wahaha! 'Cause we know our dreams can't be real!"
Rainbow Rocket Episode (USUM): "Just when I completed my great plan, I got swallowed up by a giant wave... And when I came 'round, I was in this world."

Phew! I'll do the other's later.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)