Meta Man

Approved by Eevee General and The Immortal

Meta Man is an OM that takes inspiration from the Mega Man series. In the original NES games, you gain access to the armor and weapons of defeated robot masters. These "power-ups" then stick with you for the rest of the game. Now, if you swap out "armor" for "ability" and "weapon" for "move," and you've got this meta! Your opponent's strengths could become your own -- and vice versa!

Bans: OU banlist (for now)
Clauses: OU clauses
Mechanic: When a Pokemon faints, the opposing Pokemon replaces its current ability with the fainted Pokemon's and gains its last-used move in a new slot (for up to 9 total moves). These changes last the entire match. If a Pokemon faints before using a move during the match, no move is gained by the opponent.

Example:

Here's how this mechanic might play out, in a match-up of Life Orb Tornadus (assuming a Mega Venusaur teammate) versus a Choice Specs Keldeo:

Poor plays were made on each side. While Keldeo definitely should have switched, Tornadus also should've made the safe switch into Mega Venusaur. Now, Keldeo can easily 2HKO that Venusaur, and it gets a great ability in Regenerator to boot.

Implications:

For one, Pokemon that get kills gain more options over the course of the match. Pokemon that lack setup, coverage or recovery might gain these moves from their fallen foes. On the other hand, you might gain something useless, like Swords Dance on a special sweeper.

Additionally, the ability stealing mechanic both encourages Pokemon with terrible abilities (like Archeops) and discourages Pokemon that only succeed based on their broken abilities (like Azumarill), while leaving the Pokemon with just-okay abilities the opportunity to possibly do better. Something like Regigigas doesn't become instantly great like it does in metas that let you change the ability straight up -- you still need a kill (which is easier said than done). However, you have both a chance at redemption as well as the opportunity to sandbag your opponents by dying and passing off your ability. Meanwhile, Pokemon like Mega Medicham not only risk losing their ability if they gets a kill, but they also risk giving its ability up to an opponent.

In the end, the agency rests with the player -- if you don't want your opponent to take a certain move, you can stall by using a less-useful one before you fall. If you want to nab a certain ability on your late-game sweeper, predict the sac of that 'mon to Stealth Rock and double switch in to nab it.

Indeed, a sac becomes a much more meaningful action than in standard. Imagine this scenario:
  • You have a banded Scizor (on the field) and mega-evolved Diancie in the back, both at full health
  • Your opponent has a Mega Tyranitar, also at full health, as his last
  • You know for a fact that it has Fire Punch and EQ, along with likely DD + STAB
In standard, this is a no-lose scenario -- you click Bullet Punch. It doesn't OHKO, but if TTar attacks you, you put it in range of Moonblast. If it DDs, you kill it next turn. However, in this OM, you need to be wary of giving up your moves -- Scizor's death would mean TTar gains Bullet Punch and Technician, easily taking care of Diancie afterwards. So it becomes a 50/50 -- do you switch in to Diancie to take the Fire Punch with the risk that he could EQ/DD, or do you stay in on the predicted EQ/DD and kill with Bullet Punch? Maybe these Pokemon have gained additional moves and abilities across the span of the match, how does that change the match up? This adds another layer of thought process to matches and spices up gameplay, despite the fact that this meta lacks any pre-match changes to the Pokemon themselves.
Unlike a lot of OMs, this meta is rooted strictly in the gameplay and isn't especially theorymon-heavy. However, I think its easy to see the potential craziness that can ensure from this OM, like a revenge-killer that has a total of nine moves by the end of the game, or an ability/move getting swapped back and forth between teams across the match.

Q&A:

Q: Why don't you gain the affects of all the abilities you've taken, not just the most recent one?
A: There was too much potential for bugs, abuse and insane snowballing, with one Pokemon possibly having the abilities of most of its enemies and even most if its teammates if their abilities had already been stolen. Multiple ability metagames have also been historically difficult to code.

Q: If you gain Hidden Power, what type is it?
A: The type your IVs are set to, not the opponents. This is how it works for Ditto, etc.

Q: What happens if the opponent faints through passive means (Toxic, weather, hazards, etc.)?
A: You still gain the effects as long as you're on the field. This means even passive teams can benefit from the mechanic.
Q: If you defeat a Pokemon with Trace, how does that work?
A: Trace will remain your permanent ability (unless you defeat another Pokemon), but it will activate once your opponent sends out a new Pokemon to trace their ability. If you switch out, though, you retain Trace.

Q: If a Pokemon used a move earlier in the game, but not immediately before it fainted, do I still inherit that move?
A: Yes. It doesn't matter when or how a Pokemon used a move -- as long as it has one PP missing, you take the most recently used move.

Go onward, Super Fighting Robots! Save the world!

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This sounds really fun.

Quick question: if you copy Trace, do you lose the original ability upon tracing the opponent, or do you keepyour original ability and have Trace replaced?

If the Keldeo already KOed Tornadus and got Regenerator and Hurricane. Then it KOs another poke. Does it keep Hurricane and gain a new move, making it has 6 moves total? Or the Hurricane is deleted and replaced by the new move gained?

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If the Keldeo already KOed Tornadus and got Regenerator and Hurricane. Then it KOs another poke. Does it keep Hurricane and gain a new move, making it has 6 moves total? Or the Hurricane is deleted and replaced by the new move gained?
Based around the constant use of "abilities" and "moves" i think its safe to assume they stack. Also i think he mentions stacking in the op but there's no way im reading it all again to find it.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
This sounds absolutely fun. The idea of being able to steal abilities and the last used move is absolutely threatening no matter what you are facing. Being able to trace defensive abilities such as Regenerator, Natural Cure, or Magic Guard is going to be great mid to late game when you need to heal back some HP, get rid of status, or be immune to Life Orb recoil. Offensive abilities such as Sheer Force and Pixilate are going to prove to be very useful as well, giving Pokemon a one time shot of getting around a check or counter possibly. This sounds really fun. The cool thing is the playability of this as most of this isn't theorymonning since nothing is truly changed but rather the game itself is changed (if that makes sense). I am excited to see this grow! :)

Quick question: if you copy Trace, do you lose the original ability upon tracing the opponent, or do you keepyour original ability and have Trace replaced?
I just ran a test to see how Trace interacts if there's no valid ability to Trace on the turn the Pokemon is sent out (in this case, two Trace users), and it will Trace at the first opportunity. So yes, you'll Trace the next Pokemon that gets sent in, but because Trace is your permanent ability (until you get another kill), switching out will retain Trace.
Moves stack, abilities do not. You can have a potential nine moves by the end of the game, but only one ability -- it's explained in a little more detail in the Q&A.

Reactions: nv

Subjugator

Banned deucer.
Awesome idea for a metagame! I can see specially designed lures being built just to work around the mechanic where the "Man gets the opponent's armor".

It looks like careful placement of moves would be rather important in this meta.
Back to the example up top. If Tornadus didn't have Hurricane as move 1, Keldeo wouldn't have gained that as a weapon against M-Venusaur. If it got Heat Wave instead then it wouldn't be that much better off in the matchup.

bp scrub

rub a dub dub one scrub in a tub
honestly stuff like Slaking might be usable now. In previous metas, if you come in on the truant turn, you could setup and then OHKO slaking, which puts you at a lead, but here, if slaking gets killed, your opponent now gets truant.

Slaking also obviously can easily kill things, which means no more truant lol

Martin

I just ran a test to see how Trace interacts if there's no valid ability to Trace on the turn the Pokemon is sent out (in this case, two Trace users), and it will Trace at the first opportunity. So yes, you'll Trace the next Pokemon that gets sent in, but because Trace is your permanent ability (until you get another kill), switching out will retain Trace.
Thanks for clarifying that, as that was gonna be my next question, but what I meant was does the traced ability overwrite all abilities or just the slot that has Trace? For example, if I had Trace and Sheer Force, when Trace activates will I have the Traced ability on its own or do I retain Sheer Force on top of the Traced ability?

Another thing is does Trace only copy the default ability or does it copy the entire set of abilities that your opponent has?

Also, if I have Trace+Trace, how will it work? Will the first Trace activate normally and the second activate when the opponent switches out, will it copy the ability twice, or will the first Trace copy the default ability and the second copy the opponent's copied ability?

This links into my last question now. If you copy the ability that you already have (e.g. if you copy Sheer Force on top of Sheer Force), does it stack (i.e. multiplier of 1.3^2) or is the second ignored (multiplier of 1.3)? Ik that Abilities like Intimidate will (activates twice on switch-in), but idk how other abilities will work.

It looks like careful placement of moves would be rather important in this meta.
Back to the example up top. If Tornadus didn't have Hurricane as move 1, Keldeo wouldn't have gained that as a weapon against M-Venusaur. If it got Heat Wave instead then it wouldn't be that much better off in the matchup.
Moveslot placement doesn't matter -- it's the last move used during the match. If Tornadus used Heat Wave instead of Hurricane (predicting a Skarmory switch?) then Keldeo would have gotten Heat Wave.
Thanks for clarifying that, as that was gonna be my next question, but what I meant was does the traced ability overwrite all abilities or just the slot that has Trace? For example, if I had Trace and Sheer Force, when Trace activates will I have the Traced ability on its own or do I retain Sheer Force on top of the Traced ability?

Another thing is does Trace only copy the default ability or does it copy the entire set of abilities that your opponent has?

Also, if I have Trace+Trace, how will it work? Will the first Trace activate normally and the second activate when the opponent switches out, will it copy the ability twice, or will the first Trace copy the default ability and the second copy the opponent's copied ability?

This links into my last question now. If you copy the ability that you already have (e.g. if you copy Sheer Force on top of Sheer Force), does it stack (i.e. multiplier of 1.3^2) or is the second ignored (multiplier of 1.3)? Ik that Abilities like Intimidate will (activates twice on switch-in), but idk how other abilities will work.
A lot of your statements seem to be working under the assumption that Pokemon retain multiple abilities -- they do not. If you get Trace, all you have is Trace:

Q: Why don't you gain the affects of all the abilities you've taken, not just the most recent one?
A: There was too much potential for bugs, abuse and insane snowballing, with one Pokemon possibly having the abilities of most of its enemies and even most if its teammates if their abilities had already been stolen. Multiple ability metagames have also been historically difficult to code.
Confusing overlaps like these are part of the reason I kept it to one ability slot only. :P

Moveslot placement doesn't matter -- it's the last move used during the match. If Tornadus used Heat Wave instead of Hurricane (predicting a Skarmory switch?) then Keldeo would have gotten Heat Wave.
Ah, I misred it a litttle bit. My bad.
The use of Shedinja might honestly be somewhat of a liability here. Once it falls, the opposing Pokemon gains Wonder Guard...
Until something else on the Shedinja's team also faints, but it's still something I felt like pointing out.

Ah, I misred it a litttle bit. My bad.
The use of Shedinja might honestly be somewhat of a liability here. Once it falls, the opposing Pokemon gains Wonder Guard...
Until something else on the Shedinja's team also faints, but it's still something I felt like pointing out.
Shedinja is usually a liability. :P

But yes, don't use anything with Wonder Guard, Pure Power or Huge Power in this meta. Best case scenario is that you get one kill and then become useless, worst case scenario is that you make the opponent OP by fainting.

Shedinja is usually a liability. :P

But yes, don't use anything with Wonder Guard, Pure Power or Huge Power in this meta. Best case scenario is that you get one kill and then become useless, worst case scenario is that you make the opponent OP by fainting.
Then could there be a case for Mega Mawile being unbanned? Or not?

Subjugator

Banned deucer.
Regigigas can be a good crippler in this metagame, with Slow Start. With it's bulk, it can survive a hit or two, and use a Support Move. Once it falls, the opponent gets Slow Start, stopping rampaging physical attackers in their tracks.

Then could there be a case for Mega Mawile being unbanned? Or not?
Mega Mawile and Aegislash are two Pokemon I'd consider unbannning, because they entirely rely on their ability to function and tend to get a lot of kills, thus wiping their abilities in the process. Greninja and Mega Kangaskhan are other possibilities, but they're honestly still a little too scary to consider. Sticking with the OU banlist for now.

Reactions: nv
Hmm...

Durant @ Focus Sash
Ability: Truant
Level: 1
- Endeavor
- Entrainment
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic

Okay, in the worst scenario, he give truant for oponent.
In the best - he kill one of six pokemon and instantly lose abillity.
And die later...

But seriosly, I have a question:
When pokemon use Explosion or other suicide move, and oponent survive... oponent gain ability from that "bomb"?
And Explosion too?

But seriosly, I have a question:
When pokemon use Explosion or other suicide move, and oponent survive... oponent gain ability from that "bomb"?
And Explosion too?
Yes, if you live, you'll gain Explosion (the opponent's last used move) and its ability.

Overall, I can see Intimidate being an ability that wouldn't be overly crippling to replace upon defeating an opposing Pokemon. On account of it doing absolutely nothing after the initial -1 Atk.
Therian Landorus would certainly enjoy that.

I have Idea:

Gigalith @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

AND

Dugtrio @ Lum Berry
Ability: Arena Trap
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Slide / Protect
- Frustration

Strategy is simple:
Stealth Rocks, Atacking move, CustapExplosion.
But... when target survive Ecplosion... he gain Sturdy.
After atack he already should lose some health, what means - that sturdy give nothing for enemy pokemon.
But for full HP Dugtrio - yes.
He have really low HP stats, but nice speed. Sturdy give for him new life.
What happen, when we knock out first pokemon?
I send set for F.E.A.R. Durant. When Dutant faint, we can trap a pokemon what now get Truant.
Just give for Dugtrio Protect/Hone Claws set. Every active turn Dugtrio just skip. After max boost, he knock oposit pokemon, gain propably truant, and because Truant get after first kill, truant effect he gain in second kill.
Oh... nevermind - we gain new abillity and new two atacking moves. Expect, when oponent have protect. But after kill, Truant back to oponent again.

Suicide/switch move ruin strategy, even when we use protect. Because we gain truant to fast (suicide) or we lose for free pokemon (switch from Baton Pass).

How about this? Maybe not the best strategy in the world, but... funny strategy, I think...

canno

formerly The Reptile
So when you say "last move used" does that mean the last move used by the user or overall?

Let me give an example.

Let's say I have a Banded Scizor and a Mega Manectric, and my opponent has a Waccan Berry Keldeo. I U-Turn with Scizor as it takes a Hydro Pump and go into Mega Manectric. I then Volt Switch (and fail to kill) the Keldeo into my Scizor, who dies to the Hydro Pump. What move does Keldeo get - Volt Switch, U-Turn, or none of those?

What about the same situation, except I hard switch my Mega Manectric out instead of Volt Switching - does Keldeo get U-Turn or nothing from killing the Scizor?

Different situation - My Tyranitar used Crunch earlier in the game. Terrakion just killed my Mega Diancie. I switch in TTar, thinking its faster. but I get outsped and killed because we're both scarfed. Does Terrakion get Crunch or nothing?

So when you say "last move used" does that mean the last move used by the user or overall?

Let me give an example.

Let's say I have a Banded Scizor and a Mega Manectric, and my opponent has a Waccan Berry Keldeo. I U-Turn with Scizor as it takes a Hydro Pump and go into Mega Manectric. I then Volt Switch (and fail to kill) the Keldeo into my Scizor, who dies to the Hydro Pump. What move does Keldeo get - Volt Switch, U-Turn, or none of those?

What about the same situation, except I hard switch my Mega Manectric out instead of Volt Switching - does Keldeo get U-Turn or nothing from killing the Scizor?

Different situation - My Tyranitar used Crunch earlier in the game. Terrakion just killed my Mega Diancie. I switch in TTar, thinking its faster. but I get outsped and killed because we're both scarfed. Does Terrakion get Crunch or nothing?
Probably should have clarified this more. You gain the last move used by the Pokemon that fainted, no matter how long ago they used it. If all a Pokemon did was set up Stealth Rocks 50 turns before it faints, then it gives up Stealth Rock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)