Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metagame premise: Bloodline Cup. A tier where the only pokemon you can use is of one species, male and female variants are both counted as one species each and not a species together and if a pokemon has more than one evolutions, you can pick which path to go.
Potential bans and threats: Cosmog Line, Zygarde line (10% and 50%), Urshifu Line
Questions for the community: What do you think will be a cool pokemon line that will shine in this tier like no other and why?
Could you give more detail on what this metagame is supposed to be? I don't really understand what you mean by one species.

Could you give more detail on what this metagame is supposed to be? I don't really understand what you mean by one species.
so basically if you wanted to have a team with nidoking, it can only consist of nidoran-male, nidorino and nidoking, and if you want a team with nidoqueen, it can only consist of nidoran-female, nidorina and nidoqueen, if you want to have something like poliwag though, your team can only consist of poliwag, poliwhirl, and you can choose from either poliwrath or politoed

so basically if you wanted to have a team with nidoking, it can only consist of nidoran-male, nidorino and nidoking, and if you want a team with nidoqueen, it can only consist of nidoran-female, nidorina and nidoqueen, if you want to have something like poliwag though, your team can only consist of poliwag, poliwhirl, and you can choose from either poliwrath or politoed
Thanks gor the clarification, since species in Pokemon typically means individual Pokemon (which is why you can use Magneton and Magnezone on the same team without it breaking species clause).
A glaring issue with that idea is that the meta is 100% match-up dependent and heavily favors certain lines over others.
Like a Blissey team will win against most special attacker teams besides Gengar and Aegislash, where it auto loses to them.

Thanks gor the clarification, since species in Pokemon typically means individual Pokemon (which is why you can use Magneton and Magnezone on the same team without it breaking species clause).
A glaring issue with that idea is that the meta is 100% match-up dependent and heavily favors certain lines over others.
Like a Blissey team will win against most special attacker teams besides Gengar and Aegislash, where it auto loses to them.
of course there will be some bans :))

of course there will be some bans :))
And how will bans solve the underlying issue of matches being determined turn 1 because it's so heavily match up dependent.
It also doesn't particularly sound like a fun concept either. You just have 2-3 Pokemon with 1 being the main Pokemon and the other parts of the team being just a worse version of that Pokemon. If there is no species clause, then the game is using 6 of the same Fully Evolved Pokemon with a large movepool or spamming one set, which isn't very interesting.

And how will bans solve the underlying issue of matches being determined turn 1 because it's so heavily match up dependent.
It also doesn't particularly sound like a fun concept either. You just have 2-3 Pokemon with 1 being the main Pokemon and the other parts of the team being just a worse version of that Pokemon. If there is no species clause, then the game is using 6 of the same Fully Evolved Pokemon with a large movepool or spamming one set, which isn't very interesting.
thats more of a coding thing where people have to make it so that it does not have species clause, but you cant have the pokemon with the same name, also to answer the question about it being heavy match up dependent, thats the same case with monotype no? sometimes you have bad matchups, sometimes you dont.

thats more of a coding thing where people have to make it so that it does not have species clause
So like I said where people just use 6 of the same Pokemon, or maybe something like 5 Scizors and a Scyther?
I think you need to take a step back and look at how your meta will play out as a whole. Concepts can be fun until you start thinking about how they actually play out.
also to answer the question about it being heavy match up dependent, thats the same case with monotype no? sometimes you have bad matchups, sometimes you dont.
Not at all. Monotype teams will have Pokemon to deal with the types they would be weak to. Like Scizor is good for Bug because it deals with Mono Rock and Mono Flying, and is good for Mono Steel because it can deal with Mono Fighting and Mono Ground.
In this metagame, your team is Mono Scizor-line. There is no Water/Bug type to help you against Fire types or Volcarona to help you against Mono Corviknight/Skarmory, while something like Mono Tyranitar-line can only scream in agony as 1 or 2 Scizor Bullet Punch and Super Power through 6 Tyranitars.

And Shared Power is an Other Metagame that is very match-up dependent, it at least has a fun concept. I really don’t see the fun in this type of Metagame where you just bring 6 of the same Pokemon.

to answer the question about it being heavy match up dependent, thats the same case with monotype no? sometimes you have bad matchups, sometimes you dont.
There's a difference between:
"oh no I loaded Water into Dragon welp time to spam Ice Beam like there's no tomorrow and play around Kyurem carefully so it doesn't Freeze Dry my entire team"
and
"ah shit I loaded 6 Excadrill into 6 Corviknight, well I lose lol"
I already suggested Monomons a year or so ago for a joke, and the comment was "it's not monotype, it's 1v1 with no Team Preview on acid".

There's a difference between:
"oh no I loaded Water into Dragon welp time to spam Ice Beam like there's no tomorrow and play around Kyurem carefully so it doesn't Freeze Dry my entire team"
and
"ah shit I loaded 6 Excadrill into 6 Corviknight, well I lose lol"
I already suggested Monomons a year or so ago for a joke, and the comment was "it's not monotype, it's 1v1 with no Team Preview on acid".
idk if i structured my thing weirdly but this whole thing is a bloodline and not the same mons, so its 1 evolution LINE and not 1 POKEMON but 6 in a team

idk, maybe it can beat other first stage pokemon from the opponent's line up without having to switch to excadrill
So wait, you're limited to 1 Drillbur and 1 Excadrill and that's your entire team to fight all 5 Slows or a 6 Eeveelution team ok that is dumb. Literally just play no Team Preview 1v1 instead.

So wait, you're limited to 1 Drillbur and 1 Excadrill and that's your entire team to fight all 5 Slows or a 6 Eeveelution team ok that is dumb. Literally just play no Team Preview 1v1 instead.
1 evolutionary line, you cant make 1 eevee turn into all 6 eeveelutions

Javi

Que no respiren, que no respiren!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
Do you all remember the wonder launcher from Pokémon BW? So i have thought that we could add a format in which it can be used.
The mechanic used to work like this: during the game you win points based on your actions, and you can trade those points to use healing/boosting items by losing a turn too. Imo it's a really cool format which adds a deeper layer of strategy.
The code about how points system work is already in BW games so i guess it should not be a huge issue to get it? Thanks in advance

Do you all remember the wonder launcher from Pokémon BW? So i have thought that we could add a format in which it can be used.
The mechanic used to work like this: during the game you win points based on your actions, and you can trade those points to use healing/boosting items by losing a turn too. Imo it's a really cool format which adds a deeper layer of strategy.
The code about how points system work is already in BW games so i guess it should not be a huge issue to get it? Thanks in advance
Wonder Launcher is apparently not very fun.
Funny you mention it. I had a few 6v6 competitive Wonder Launcher battles on the cartridge and the thing every one of them had in common is that each battle took HOURS (or at least it felt like it). Between Ethers and Max Revives it was very easy to get locked in infinite battles even with the craziness of items that give +3 attack (you can counter with +3 def).

It was neat but I think after doing it twice I can safely say I never want to do it again.

Metagame premise: Level 1 Mayhem. What would happen if a metagame is full of level 1 Pokemon. We have dealt with level 5 and in some places level 50 but what if we lowered it all to Level 1. Some pokemon are may finally run mixed attacks when they couldn't before. Such low stats and small evs can really Juice up a metagame.
Potential bans and threats: Smogon OU Clauses + Pokemon who can't be level 1 such as Kartana and Corviknight
Questions for the community: What do you think should be banned? do you think the concept would be fun an unique? show me some sets
I second this idea tbh. There was a metagame a while back that was this (I forget what it was called, Ijust know it was like an OM of the month kind of thing). Despite being very simple, it was some of the most fun I've ever had on showdown. Due to how damage works, everything at that level hit like a nuke.
I agree with DrPumpkinz that restricting it to just Pokemon that can exist at level 1 isn't a good idea. At that stage, most Pokemon will have roughly the same stats. Sure a single stat point difference makes a huge difference, but overall there isn't much separating Chimchar from something like Rillaboom in that department. This means most Pokemon rely on their typing, move set, and abilities for strategy. Evolved Pokemon usually tend to have more options in that regard, limiting in by excluding such Pokemon I feel restricts the potential of the metagame.

In regards to bans, I think the focus should be less on Pokemon and more on abilities. While something like Technichian isn't crazy due to the need for moves with 60 or less BP, and Sheer Force isn't that crazy, but huge and pure power are nutz, the boost they give is just insane. For example, a Pokemon with base 255 attack, something that doesn't exist, would have 12 attack at its max. Marill, with its 20 base attack, also has 12 with Huge Power. Stronger Huge Power mons like Medicham and Diggersby have 14 attack. I'm happy to discuss other potential bans, but as a general rule I think abilities that give really high damage increases but with no drawback should be banned.

Edit: In that Chimchar vs Rillaboom example I randomly picked out, Chimchar would actually have better bulk due to Eviolite, so allowing Pokemon that you can't get at level 1 won't just invalidate a lot of Pre-Evos, the Eviolite boost is very useful here.

I second this idea tbh. There was a metagame a while back that was this (I forget what it was called, Ijust know it was like an OM of the month kind of thing). Despite being very simple, it was some of the most fun I've ever had on showdown. Due to how damage works, everything at that level hit like a nuke.
I agree with DrPumpkinz that restricting it to just Pokemon that can exist at level 1 isn't a good idea. At that stage, most Pokemon will have roughly the same stats. Sure a single stat point difference makes a huge difference, but overall there isn't much separating Chimchar from something like Rillaboom in that department. This means most Pokemon rely on their typing, move set, and abilities for strategy. Evolved Pokemon usually tend to have more options in that regard, limiting in by excluding such Pokemon I feel restricts the potential of the metagame.

In regards to bans, I think the focus should be less on Pokemon and more on abilities. While something like Technichian isn't crazy due to the need for moves with 60 or less BP, and Sheer Force isn't that crazy, but huge and pure power are nutz, the boost they give is just insane. For example, a Pokemon with base 255 attack, something that doesn't exist, would have 12 attack at its max. Marill, with its 20 base attack, also has 12 with Huge Power. Stronger Huge Power mons like Medicham and Diggersby have 14 attack. I'm happy to discuss other potential bans, but as a general rule I think abilities that give really high damage increases but with no drawback should be banned.

Edit: In that Chimchar vs Rillaboom example I randomly picked out, Chimchar would actually have better bulk due to Eviolite, so allowing Pokemon that you can't get at level 1 won't just invalidate a lot of Pre-Evos, the Eviolite boost is very useful here.

The reason its being restricted to legal terms is to do things in a legal way. I agree stats will be equalish but if you can’t get it in the game it wont be legal. Treating this as if you can play on wifi. If you can’t get Rillaboom legally it won’t be eligible online. That can be Pet Mod territory which I wanna prevent. There’s a reason why Stabmons has move legality that is legal in game and not every move in existence

The reason its being restricted to legal terms is to do things in a legal way. I agree stats will be equalish but if you can’t get it in the game it wont be legal. Treating this as if you can play on wifi. If you can’t get Rillaboom legally it won’t be eligible online. That can be Pet Mod territory which I wanna prevent. There’s a reason why Stabmons has move legality that is legal in game and not every move in existence
Yeah fair enough. I'm fine either way, this concept was very fun last time it existed, and I'd love for it to become a permanent other metagame and give said meta more time to develop.

Javi

Que no respiren, que no respiren!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
Wonder Launcher is apparently not very fun.
While i see the point this user is making, i don't understand why one person's opinion is enough to dismiss it. I have played this gamemode with friends a lot of times and, while it's true that battles take a bit longer, they never extend for such amounts of time (not hours for sure but more turns). This mode gave 1 point per turn and objects like the boosters or revives took a lot of points. Plus the point system could be altered to give like a point every 2 turns or so. I think this mode can be pretty dynamic and add deeper strategy.
Also, i understand this can be more painful in tiers; but it has an immense potential in randbats.

Wifi already has an option to set all your Pokemon to a given level. All official competition uses the level 50 option, for example. This meta would just alter what level everyone gets set to.

Wifi already has an option to set all your Pokemon to a given level. All official competition uses the level 50 option, for example. This meta would just alter what level everyone gets set to.
Although I agree with the first point and see your latter point, I wouldn't describe it as just altering what level your pokemon is set to. The combination of closer together stats and the fact that pokemon are relatively less bulky when the level decreases, means that everything is a nuke.

For example, RU Tangela vs RU Curselax at level 100: 0 SpA Tangela Giga Drain vs. 12 HP / 252+ SpD Snorlax: 55-66 (11.8 - 14.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Now the same at level 1: Lvl 1 0 SpA Tangela Giga Drain vs. Lvl 1 12 HP / 196+ SpD Snorlax: 4-6 (28.5 - 42.8%) -- 17.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery .

That's a way bigger difference than one would expect from just a level difference, everything being a scary offensive threat while otherwise being normal I'd say is a fun time with some interesting implications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)