Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trick Room would probably be a bit better. Trick Room setters very frequently run sacrifice moves, so this meta basically gives them an extra move slot with no drawbacks.

Pocket Moves

The idea behind this new Metagame is very simple:

Each Pokemon have access to normal 4 moves with their normal pp amounts... no tweaks to abilities, just standard OU format for the most part...
And then there is a twist: Each Pokemon have also have access to fifth (5th) move with just a single pp use.

The so called Pocket Move, stored in there just in case for that one special occasion which otherwise would not be used in any normal circumstance.
It would still have to come from Pokemon normal movepool - we are not introducing new moves into Pokemons movepool like in STABmons.

I heard that Pokemon as a game was balanced and designed with each pokemon having only 4 moves in mind and that giving them more would lead to less interesting metagames... And if we were to just allow having five moves with no restrictions attached to it? That might have been the case...

What this metagame is trying to achieve is to answer the question:
Could fifth move with even just a single use break the game?

Every Pokemon have access to their Pocket move of choice (from their movepool) in fifth slot. You have to insert it manually in Import/Export section and at the moment there is no other elegant way of doing that...

I'm not aware of any other similar suggestion from this Thread... But also I was not looking through (at the time of writing) 57 pages filled to the brim with post of other users mixed with feedback.
If there were any ideas like this - I will link those in this post, just please let me know.

Here are few examples of movesets utilizing those new Pocket slots:

Hawlucha @ King's Rock / Power Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Fling / Sky Attack

Normally when running Unburden set, Hawlucha have to sacrifice one of it's limited 4 slots for Fling, which limits it's moveset greatly...
With Pocket Moves however, Fling could be put in that Pocket Slot instead, giving it only one use... but you also have only one item anyway so you don't lose much by it being only one use.
Alternatively, you can swap Pocket Fling and King's Rock for Pocket Sky Attack and Power Herb - replace guaranteed Flinch on a weak attack with Powerful Flying Attack without any special effects.

Now I don't know if this specific set would be good in that Metagame - I just made it as an example. Maybe Iron Head would be better at countering Fairies. Maybe Drain Punch could be better for longer survivability? Perhaps Substitute could provide great utility in preventing most status effects from affecting your Hawlucha? Sword Dance for setting up with already boosted speed? There are few options and Hawlucha is not the only Pokemon with those options either!
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs / Anticipation
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Explosion

What you can see here is an example of Ferrothon Utility moveset.
The only difference is that now... this guy also have Pocket Explosion.
Normally Explosion have 8 uses, but... it's not like you are going to survive after using it once, can you?
In this case Explosion adds a very destructive option on possibly eliminating opposing Pokemon who you can't eliminate in any other way.
Opponent switches in his sweeper, you didn't predicted that would happen here and there or maybe there was a key U-Turn switch... Just swapping Pokemon might be already too late, so... knowing all this you decide that what have to be done MUST be done.

Also as a bonus:
You could consider running Anticipation in order to scout out those super effective moves from opponents. Maybe wouldn't be too good in this example since for the most part you are switching into foes with the Ferrothorn which you are confident don't have said moves, though sometimes scouting that Pocket Flamethrower or other coverage move you didn't accounted for might be a life savior.

A very similar idea would be sets with Memento or other moves which turns your own Pokemon into Fainted one. Sacrifices must me made sometimes.
Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Defog / X-Scissor

You could also just include one additional coverage move for very specific pokemon OR a utility move.
This specific set is basically Paper Plane with both Smart Strike (STAB move) and Defog (Pocket Move) for those emergency hazard removals.
Alternatively you can include a move which would counter a very specific group of Pokemon with niche weakness. Not a move which you would normally run, but rather something which would only win you one specific KO if you had the move.
Mind you, in this example after using that one move YOU WILL be locked into Struggle since you will be locked into a move without any uses left.

I hope you like the idea for Metagame! I'm curious what other cool sets people will bring there! :D
A major problem with 5th move idea is that it requires the user to use Import/Export to add in an extra move.
Another problem with the meta itself and is that by design a sweeper can just suddenly take out what ever would wall it with its normal coverage. Like Garchomp can suddenly pulls out Poison Jab against Clefable or Tapu Fini. They can “just protect” but they are in a dangerous situation checking Garchomp since they could let Garchomp set up another Sword Dance. If Protect was their pocket move so they could use 4 other moves, they just wasted their emergency stop, now Garchomp can sweep so long as there aren’t additional revenge killers. Defensive answers are important to prevent gameplay from just being revenge killing and guessing, and Defensive answers to many sweepers are deliberately neutered.

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
A major problem with 5th move idea is that it requires the user to use Import/Export to add in an extra move.
Another problem with the meta itself and is that by design a sweeper can just suddenly take out what ever would wall it with its normal coverage. Like Garchomp can suddenly pulls out Poison Jab against Clefable or Tapu Fini. They can “just protect” but they are in a dangerous situation checking Garchomp since they could let Garchomp set up another Sword Dance. If Protect was their pocket move so they could use 4 other moves, they just wasted their emergency stop, now Garchomp can sweep so long as there aren’t additional revenge killers. Defensive answers are important to prevent gameplay from just being revenge killing and guessing, and Defensive answers to many sweepers are deliberately neutered.
garchomp never really needs to run pjab cuz it already hits faires almost as hard with eq

They could alternatively just bait it like one would bait a Z-move. The situation of slotting a coverage move in the fifth slot to get past an otherwise troublesome check sounds a lot like Z-moves, except they're significantly weaker and "based" on a completely unrelated attack (as in, instead of Poison Jab getting powered up to Acid Downpour, it's functionally equivalent to whatever move you would have run in Poison Jab's place being "powered up" to Poison Jab), which on the one hand means you're not stuck running a move type just for one target, but on the other hand if you blow your one-time coverage you're fucked because because you don't have a weaker move of the same type to fall back on.

Pocket Moves

The idea behind this new Metagame is very simple:

Each Pokemon have access to normal 4 moves with their normal pp amounts... no tweaks to abilities, just standard OU format for the most part...
And then there is a twist: Each Pokemon have also have access to fifth (5th) move with just a single pp use.

The so called Pocket Move, stored in there just in case for that one special occasion which otherwise would not be used in any normal circumstance.
It would still have to come from Pokemon normal movepool - we are not introducing new moves into Pokemons movepool like in STABmons.

I heard that Pokemon as a game was balanced and designed with each pokemon having only 4 moves in mind and that giving them more would lead to less interesting metagames... And if we were to just allow having five moves with no restrictions attached to it? That might have been the case...

What this metagame is trying to achieve is to answer the question:
Could fifth move with even just a single use break the game?

Every Pokemon have access to their Pocket move of choice (from their movepool) in fifth slot. You have to insert it manually in Import/Export section and at the moment there is no other elegant way of doing that...

I'm not aware of any other similar suggestion from this Thread... But also I was not looking through (at the time of writing) 57 pages filled to the brim with post of other users mixed with feedback.
If there were any ideas like this - I will link those in this post, just please let me know.

Here are few examples of movesets utilizing those new Pocket slots:

Hawlucha @ King's Rock / Power Herb
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Fling / Sky Attack

Normally when running Unburden set, Hawlucha have to sacrifice one of it's limited 4 slots for Fling, which limits it's moveset greatly...
With Pocket Moves however, Fling could be put in that Pocket Slot instead, giving it only one use... but you also have only one item anyway so you don't lose much by it being only one use.
Alternatively, you can swap Pocket Fling and King's Rock for Pocket Sky Attack and Power Herb - replace guaranteed Flinch on a weak attack with Powerful Flying Attack without any special effects.

Now I don't know if this specific set would be good in that Metagame - I just made it as an example. Maybe Iron Head would be better at countering Fairies. Maybe Drain Punch could be better for longer survivability? Perhaps Substitute could provide great utility in preventing most status effects from affecting your Hawlucha? Sword Dance for setting up with already boosted speed? There are few options and Hawlucha is not the only Pokemon with those options either!
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs / Anticipation
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Explosion

What you can see here is an example of Ferrothon Utility moveset.
The only difference is that now... this guy also have Pocket Explosion.
Normally Explosion have 8 uses, but... it's not like you are going to survive after using it once, can you?
In this case Explosion adds a very destructive option on possibly eliminating opposing Pokemon who you can't eliminate in any other way.
Opponent switches in his sweeper, you didn't predicted that would happen here and there or maybe there was a key U-Turn switch... Just swapping Pokemon might be already too late, so... knowing all this you decide that what have to be done MUST be done.

Also as a bonus:
You could consider running Anticipation in order to scout out those super effective moves from opponents. Maybe wouldn't be too good in this example since for the most part you are switching into foes with the Ferrothorn which you are confident don't have said moves, though sometimes scouting that Pocket Flamethrower or other coverage move you didn't accounted for might be a life savior.

A very similar idea would be sets with Memento or other moves which turns your own Pokemon into Fainted one. Sacrifices must me made sometimes.
Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Defog / X-Scissor

You could also just include one additional coverage move for very specific pokemon OR a utility move.
This specific set is basically Paper Plane with both Smart Strike (STAB move) and Defog (Pocket Move) for those emergency hazard removals.
Alternatively you can include a move which would counter a very specific group of Pokemon with niche weakness. Not a move which you would normally run, but rather something which would only win you one specific KO if you had the move.
Mind you, in this example after using that one move YOU WILL be locked into Struggle since you will be locked into a move without any uses left.
Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Transform

I thought I would mention Ditto and Transform move for a moment since it get's buffed in this Metagame.

By transforming into other Pokemon you gain access to all their moves - usually 4 different moves - with 5 uses on each one of them.
In this meta however... we also have Pocket Moves which for everyone else only have one use. For Ditto and Mew (I will get to Mew in a moment) which would transform into other Pokemon however... that Pocket move would also have 5 uses.
Already by simply transforming you obtain key information on enemy set including that one Pocket move they are holding... but you also can use those moves without same restriction!

Mew @ Item of your choice
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: EVs of your choice, preferably with max Health
Nature of your choice
- Imprison
- Transform
- Move of your choice
- Move of your choice
- Move of your choice / Imprison / Transform

Mew is soo flexible because of insane movepool it have access to, but one tactic that might stand out especially is Imprison + Transform tactic.
... or even just Transform on it's own.

You could just run any Mew set you want and slap Transform into their Pocket Move Slot OR you could run Transform in one of the main 4 slots and fit Imprison in Pocket Slot... Or you might decide to run both Transform and Imprison in main slots and take another move in that slot.

I feel like a variant with Transform in Pocket Move might be one of better ones for the simple reason that you can become enemy Pokemon quicker all while keeping other usual movesets this Pokemon might have run.
Blissey @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Teleport
- Rest

Here is an example of Defensive Moveset with addition to Pocket Rest - just to allow emergency recovery.
Normally running two healing moves might be considered not the best if you are limited by amount of moves you can carry...
But if you gain access to one move with single use? There are only few actions which might be worth the slot.

I have chosen Rest as it allows for immediate refilling of your Health Bar, while for more standard slot I left Soft-Boiled in order to stay engaged with the opponent. In case of Rest, Blissey does have access to ability Natural Cure which let's her cure status effects when switching out. That of course would include Sleeping Status caused by Rest.

That being said - you could probably fit in many other move for different effects.
- Counter is a very specific move which might allow you to take out one Physical Attacker not strong enough to OHKO you.
- Any move which applies status on enemy Pokemon while keeping other one in main movepool.
- You could consider Wish as one-time healing move for another Pokemon OR to allow this one to survive next turn easier.

I hope you like the idea for Metagame! I'm curious what other cool sets people will bring there! :D
I did include two more ideas in the post worth mentioning about Metagame! Thought I could mention in there too!

Go Moves
2022-06-28.png

Rules and Stuff:
Premise: Pokémon has quite a lot of moves. What if we got rid of some of those moves?
Mechanic: The only allowed moves are moves that exist in Pokémon GO (*including unused moves).
Clauses: OU clauses
Bans: OU bans, all moves not in unbans, all OHKO/accuracy lowering/evasion boosting moves (even if they got in unbans by accident)
Unbans: Acid, Air Slash, Astonish, Bite, Bubble, Bug Bite, Bullet Punch, Bullet Seed, Charge Beam, Charm, Confusion, Counter, Cut, Dragon Breath, Dragon Tail, Ember, Extrasensory, Feint Attack, Fire Fang, Fire Spin, Frost Breath, Fury Cutter, Hex, Hidden Power, Ice Fang, Ice Shard, Infestation, Iron Tail, Karate Chop, Lick, Lock-On, Low Kick, Metal Claw, Mud Shot, Peck, Poison Jab, Poison Sting, Pound, Powder Snow, Present, Psycho Cut, Quick Attack, Razor Leaf, Rock Smash, Rock Throw, Scratch, Shadow Claw, Smack Down, Snarl, Spark, Splash, Steel Wing, Struggle Bug, Sucker Punch, Tackle, Take Down, Thunder Fang, Thunder Shock, Transform, Vine Whip, Volt Switch, Water Gun, Waterfall, Wing Attack, Yawn, Zen Headbutt, Acid Spray, Aerial Ace, Air Cutter, Ancient Power, Aqua Jet, Aqua Tail, Aura Sphere, Aurora Beam, Avalanche, Blast Burn, Blaze Kick, Blizzard, Body Slam, Bone Club, Brave Bird, Brick Break, Brine, Bubble Beam, Bug Buzz, Bulldoze, Close Combat, Crabhammer, Cross Chop, Cross Poison, Crunch, Crush Claw, Dark Pulse, Dazzling Gleam, Dig, Disarming Voice, Discharge, Doom Desire, Draco Meteor, Dragon Claw, Dragon Pulse, Drain Punch, Draining Kiss, Drill Peck, Drill Run, Dynamic Punch, Earth Power, Earthquake, Energy Ball, Fell Stinger, Fire Blast, Fire Punch, Flame Burst, Flame Charge, Flame Wheel, Flamethrower, Flash Cannon, Fly, Flying Press, Focus Blast, Foul Play, Frenzy Plant, Frustration, Future Sight, Giga Drain, Giga Impact, Grass Knot, Gunk Shot, Gyro Ball, Heart Stamp, Heat Wave, Heavy Slam, Horn Attack, Hurricane, Hydro Cannon, Hydro Pump, Hyper Beam, Hyper Fang, Ice Beam, Ice Punch, Icy Wind, Iron Head, Last Resort, Leaf Blade, Leech Life, Low Sweep, Lunge, Magnet Bomb, Mega Drain, Megahorn, Meteor Mash, Mirror Coat, Moonblast, Night Shade, Night Slash, Ominous Wind, Origin Pulse, Outrage, Overheat, Parabolic Charge, Petal Blizzard, Play Rough, Poison Fang, Power Gem, Power Whip, Power-Up Punch, Precipice Blades, Psybeam, Psychic, Psycho Boost, Psyshock, Psystrike, Razor Shell, Rest, Return, Rock Blast, Rock Slide, Rock Tomb, Rock Wrecker, Sacred Sword, Sand Tomb, Scald, Seed Bomb, Shadow Ball, Shadow Bone, Shadow Punch, Shadow Sneak, Signal Beam, Silver Wind, Skull Bash, Sky Attack, Sludge, Sludge Bomb, Sludge Wave, Solar Beam, Stomp, Stone Edge, Submission, Superpower, Surf, Swift, Synchronoise, Thunder, Thunder Punch, Thunderbolt, Twister, V-create, Vise Grip, Water Pulse, Weather Ball, Wild Charge, Wrap, X-Scissor, Zap Cannon,

Likely Not Asked Questions:

Q: "Fissure, Mirror Shot, Leaf Tornado, Mud Slap, etc. are in Pokémon GO, so why aren't they in?"
A: "Fissure is an OHKO move. Mud Slap, Leaf Tornado, Mirror Shot, etc. lower accuracy. It should be obvious."

Q: "A bunch of these moves don't exist in Gen 8. Who would get them?"
A: "I guess Pokémon that could get those moves before Gen 8 would get them for this OM (if applicable/possible)."

Viability:
Increased viability:
  • Due to Substitutes not existing, Mimikyu could gain viability due to its Disguise being the closest thing to a Substitute. (Eiscue could also benefit, but Ice Face is only really viable if you have a Pokémon with Snow Warning, as the move Hail is gone.)
  • Pokémon with Weather-making abilities are more viable as they are now the main way to get weather set up.
  • Mew learns most of the moves in this OM, including Drain Punch, Draining Kiss, and Giga Drain.
  • Other good Drain Punch Pokémon include Buzzwole, Golurk, and Conkeldurr.
  • Golurk gets Drain Punch and can abuse No Guard & Dynamic Punch to be very good for confusing.
  • Victini retains V-create, a powerful physical Fire-type move in an OM without Flare Blitz.
  • Raboot (hear me out here) can use an Eviolite, has Libero, and keeps Gunk Shot, Blaze Kick, Sucker Punch, and Low Sweep/Low Kick.
Decreased viability:
  • Pokémon such as Melmetal, Urshifu-Rapid-Strike, and Zeraora lose their potent signature moves.
  • Bisharp and other Pokémon reliant on Swords Dance (or other stat-boosting status moves) are going to be hurt by the removal of said moves. However, some of them can use Power-Up Punch as a stand-in.
  • Pokémon such as Ferrothorn, Landorus-T, and Toxapex, who are used mainly to set up Stealth Rock/Toxic Spikes/etc. are going to see much less use.
  • FEAR strategies no longer work due to the removal of Endeavor.
  • Aegislash loses King’s Guard, so after it attacks, it’s stuck in Blade form.
  • Some Pokémon such as Stakataka and Magnezone lose Body Press, and thus lose their ability to use their good Defense as a good Attack.

Questions for the communism I mean community:
  • Are there any Pokémon that you think may need to be banned?
  • Should we ban Shedinja and Ditto just because they’re banned from the GO Battle League? :kekW:
  • Do you think that Return returning would have a big impact?

First, including moves that aren't in Sword and Shield automatically disqualifies this as an OM.

Second, accuracy-lowering moves aren't banned in vanilla, and there's not much reason for them to be banned here. They're mildly annoying, but they're far from problematic.

Third, you're gonna need to list the allowed moves in a less-impenetrable format if you want anyone to give a shit.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...formation-announcements.3656519/#post-9260372
Following our schedule, OM Submissions are now closed for the remainder of the generation. Thank you everyone for submitting ideas throughout the generation!

This thread will remain open for people to still discuss ideas, but keep in mind that we are not taking any submissions until next generation.
Is it fine to come up with new ideas of OMs even if they wouldn't be considered for this but rather new generation?
Of course I don't see them being accepted now or anything, rather just to throw ideas around for preparation for next gen.

Metagame Premise: OU, but no Pokémon has an ability (this changes the viability of many Pokémon drastically)
Potential bans and threats:
- Regigigas (amazing stats, not hindered by slow start)
- Volcarona (heatran can no longer absorb it's fire moves, blissey is worse because of no natural cure, toxapex is worse because of no regenerator, and basically things that gave it issues are worse in general)
Questions for the community: Should certain Pokémon in Ubers be tested to see if they are still overpowered after losing their ability? Should these Pokémon, if deemed not op be allowed in this format? Things like Cinderace, Naganadel, Pheramosa, Darmanitan-G, Landorus-I, Magearna, and Zamazenta-C could all are much worse due to not having an ability.

Metagame Premise: OU, but no Pokémon has an ability (this changes the viability of many Pokémon drastically)
- Volcarona (heatran can no longer absorb it's fire moves, blissey is worse because of no natural cure, toxapex is worse because of no regenerator, and basically things that gave it issues are worse in general)
Questions for the community: Should certain Pokémon in Ubers be tested to see if they are still overpowered after losing their ability? Should these Pokémon, if deemed not op be allowed in this format? Things like Cinderace, Naganadel, Pheramosa, Darmanitan-G, Landorus-I, Magearna, and Zamazenta-C could all are much worse due to not having an ability.
Eh, the only sort-of-interesting thing this meta does it make Aegislash a pure defensive Pokemon, and even then Aegislash's movepool isn't very optimized for pure defense, and it's arguably less interesting than it was in vanilla. For everyone else, it's just the same mon but worse (with the obvious exception of mons with hindering abilities), and they're all less interesting than they are in vanilla (including the ones with hindering abilities).

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Honestly this would largely just be OU but smaller and more centralized. Stuff like Clefable, Nidoking, and weather go away completely while there isn't much that's going to rise up and take their place. There aren't many new strategies to explore

It reminds me of MonsJustMons, a metagame without abilities, items, natures, EVs, or IVs which is now defunct due to lack of interest.

Winning Move

This metagame is basically normal OU metagame in which players have a new, optional win condition: Use move of every type in the game!
As soon as player uses moves of all 18 different types, no matter if Physical, Special or Status... player wins immediately.

In this metagame, usually bulkier or quicker Pokemon are valued a lot as they can survive many of the moves or execute moves quicker than others.
Moves with Priority, ones which let's you switch faster or which let's you prevent opponent from using their moves are highly valued.
Abilities which grant you Priority or which resist certain strategies will be of great help!

However... you may also decide that the best strategy for this Metagame is to simply eliminate opponents Pokemon. If they can't play move of every type, their only other way to win is to defeat your Team, but what if their team was not made for that?

This metagame will reward teams which can both include this new wincondition as an option while being good enough to handle other teams outside of it.

Some of the moves which might or will help greatly in filling the list of types:
- Protect [Normal] / Detect [Fighting] / Spiky Shield [Grass] / Baneful Bunker [Poison] / King's Shield [Steel]
Protecting moves have high priority and ensure that their user survives whatever opponent will throw at them.
Both Protect and Detect are more common to most Pokemon, while the other, more exotic moves may allow to fill lacking types.

- U-turn [Bug] / Volt Switch [Electric] / Flip Turn [Water] / Parting Shot [Dark] / Teleport [Psychic]
Moves which allow users to fill the list of used types all while allowing to switch to the next Pokemon - accelerating the progress on filling said list.
Especially U-Turn, Parting Shot and Teleport will come in handy as they either have no or little to no immunities and their effects will not be interrupted.
I think a honorary mention should be given to Explosion as once you play all other moves, there is little to no reason to switch back to the Pokemon anyway...

- Moves applying Paralysis or Flinch like Thunder Wave [Electric] or Fake Out [Normal]
You can prevent opponent from playing moves in order to get ahead in the game. Paralysis have this great benefit of slowing down the opponent and is more permanent than one-time Flinch, but both are incredibly useful.
Because of this, having Pokemon immune to those effects or moves - while won't prevent opponent from filling their list, it will at least prevent them from stealing those precious turns.

- Taunt [Dark], Encore [Normal], Trick [Psychic] + Choice item, Imprison [Psychic]
Anything which can prevent opponent from playing moves will be appreciated greatly.
I didn't mentioned Disable in this list, because that move can only be used after a move have been used already. Outside of this strategy it will be still very useful move, but it's value got reduced in this metagame.

- Self-stat dropping moves like Close Combat [Fighting] and Leaf Storm [Grass]
Since swapping between Pokemon will be common, Stat Drops will also not be as big of a problem as they tend to be otherwise.
This type of moves also have usually a high Base Power which may allow you to KO opponents Pokemon. That might completely ruin their chances of utilizing this win-condition.

- Copycat [Normal], Metronome [Normal], Nature Power [Normal]
Those are probably not the strongest moves in the game, but they have one niche in this OM - they allow players to play TWO moves in a single turn.
Copycat could allow you to fill in some moves which your team lacks because of unexpected KO.
Metronome would be possibly a good early move option to knock out two types before you filled the list with said types. I don't expect it to be too strong because of it's randomness, but it's still worth mentioning.
Nature Power could allow you to knock two consistent types - being Normal and whatever terrain happens to be present during usage of said move.

It might also be also worth mentioning Weather Ball which doesn't play another move after itself, BUT it does adapt to weather. This move could on it's own - with right timing - fill by itself multitude of various types.

What you think of this OM idea? Which Pokemon might be best in this new exciting game mode?
How new generation of Pokemon could possibly affect this metagame?

I hope you like the idea for the metagame!

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
My problem with this is that it’s really, really hard to trigger the wincon. You need to dedicate 3/4 of your team’s moveslots for possibly suboptimal choices and you probably get locked out of it once a single Pokemon faints. So this would just be OU with a handful of gimmick teams thrown in there that try and fail to win using the mechanic.

(This idea started out as a shower thought so it might have problems but it's mostly functional)

Better typing
(placeholder)

Introduction:
What if primary and secondary typing actually mattered? In normal play you get the same STAB, and both matter equally when DMG calcs are done.This OM would change these fundamental pokemon rules, in a format based in OU.

Rules:
The primary type of a pokemon would be more important when weakness and resistance are being defined, but STAB would be weaker for pokemon with dual typing (the dmg bonus would be 25%, not 50%), meanwhile a mon's secondary typing would receive full STAB boosts. Adaptability would boost primary typing to 1.5 and secondary typing to 2.
If a pokemon's primary type resists an attack that its secondary type is weak to, the attack is resisted by the defending mon.
If a pokemon's secondary type resists an attack that its primary type is weak to, the attack is neutralized.
Inmunities work the same, but a mon with an ability preventing damage from a type it's 4x weak to (like Rotom-Heat's levitate) will receive 1/2 resisted damage from a move of that type.

Bans:
Standard OU banlist.

An example:
If Corviknight (Flying/Steel) gets hit by a Fighting type move, it receives resisted damage as it's primary typing (Flying) resists the attack even though it's secondary typing (Steel) is weak to it.
However, if Corviknight were hit by an Ice type move (which Flying is weak to and Steel type resists damage from), the attack would deal neutral damage to Corviknight.
If Corviknight were attacked with a ground type move, it would keep it's inmunity.

Potential changes:
-The name of the metagame needs to be changed.
-The changes to inmunities may be changed for balance or just comfort.
-STAB damage boosts might be changed.
-Stall might be very strong so implementing resistances to status effects and hazards might help.

Predictions for how the meta would be:
-The meta would be stally but some important stall mons are nerfed.
-More use of coverage moves, and Water and Fairy type moves (they're the most common secondary types in OU apart from Steel which is bad offensively), so Ferro becomes more commonly used even though it's primary grass typing would probably nerf it (it loses important resistances and can't use Power Whip or the rarer Grass Knot effectively)
-Crawdaunt could see more use due to Adaptability.
-Weavile becomes slightly less viable due to it's Knock Off losing 1/6 of it's current damage, also Alolatales just gets nerfed.
-Blacephalon's best move is now officially Shadow Ball.
-Lando becomes an exclusively support pokemon.
-Mons with Ice or Rock as their primary type are less used.
-Secondary Steels with a defensively bad primary typing probavly fade out in use, as their better STAB options only hit Ice, Fairy and Rock for super-effective damage.
-HO is pretty much useless.

Last edited:

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
I don’t love it. Sure, it shakes up the metagame, but it forces players to remember or constantly check primary/secondary types. Something like Sketchmons or AAA doesn’t add a whole new thing to have to remember, only rearranges existing elements in an interesting way. Something like Godly Gift or Crazyhouse does add a new element, but it’s a universal change that doesn’t make you check how it effects each and every Pokemon. For this reason, I feel this meta would be quite tough to learn play, due to the fact that it effects every Pokemon differently and isn’t as easy to remember as a type change or something, and it would be very easy to forget matchups and make misplays. Also, this can’t really be explained in a single sentence, given it’s making two separate changes and neither are small side things like Mix and Mega’s “and you can use more than one mega”.

I do quite like the idea to do something with secondary types. I would go for something simpler, maybe even as simple as “Pokemon lose their secondary types”.

Last edited:
Sure, it shakes up the metagame, but it forces players to remember or constantly check primary/secondary types.
I had thought about changing the /weak output (like in Inverse Battles) could help reduce the effort for a player to know how to hit an opponent correctly. It might be hard or outright impossible though as I don't know how exactly /weak's output is coded.

this can’t really be explained in a single sentence, given it’s making two separate changes and neither are small side things like Mix and Mega’s “and you van use more than one mega”.
That's true too.

Rules:
The primary type of a pokemon would be more important when weakness and resistance are being defined, but STAB would be weaker for pokemon with dual typing (the dmg bonus would be 25%, not 50%), meanwhile a mon's secondary typing would receive full STAB boosts. Adaptability would boost primary typing to 1.5 and secondary typing to 2.
If a pokemon's primary type resists an attack that its secondary type is weak to, the attack is resisted by the defending mon.
If a pokemon's secondary type resists an attack that its primary type is weak to, the attack is neutralized.
Inmunities work the same, but a mon with an ability preventing damage from a type it's 4x weak to (like Rotom-Heat's levitate) will receive 1/2 resisted damage from a move of that type.
A lot of the differences between primary and secondary types feel really arbitrary and hard to explain concisely, and the thing with immunities is just stupid. I think a better ruleset would just be "every multiplier related to the primary type is applied twice".

:ss/volcarona:

Volcarona has Bug as its primary type, so its Bug STAB is boosted by 1.5 * 1.5 = 2.25

Defensively, all its weaknesses and resistances associated with its Bug typing are doubled. It takes 1/4 damage from Fighting attacks, it takes 1/8 damage from Grass attacks (since Fire also resists Grass), and it takes 1/2 damage from Ground attacks (since Fire is weak to Ground). It also takes 4 times damage from Flying attacks, 2 times damage from Fire attacks, and 8 times damage from Rock attacks (which also means it instantly dies from Stealth Rock). And while Volcarona doesn't have an immunity ability, if it did, it would still take no damage from those attacks no matter its typing, because that's what happens when you multiply by 0.

I don't know if this would necessarily be a good OM, it would definitely be a lot easier to explain and conceptualize, which is a huge benefit.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
A lot of the differences between primary and secondary types feel really arbitrary and hard to explain concisely, and the thing with immunities is just stupid. I think a better ruleset would just be "every multiplier related to the primary type is applied twice".

Volcarona has Bug as its primary type, so its Bug STAB is boosted by 1.5 * 1.5 = 2.25

Defensively, all its weaknesses and resistances associated with its Bug typing are doubled. It takes 1/4 damage from Fighting attacks, it takes 1/8 damage from Grass attacks (since Fire also resists Grass), and it takes 1/2 damage from Ground attacks (since Fire is weak to Ground). It also takes 4 times damage from Flying attacks, 2 times damage from Fire attacks, and 8 times damage from Rock attacks (which also means it instantly dies from Stealth Rock). And while Volcarona doesn't have an immunity ability, if it did, it would still take no damage from those attacks no matter its typing, because that's what happens when you multiply by 0.

I don't know if this would necessarily be a good OM, it would definitely be a lot easier to explain and conceptualize, which is a huge benefit.
I am interested in this version. It would be full of 4x weaknesses and some 8x weaknesses but that’s not necessarily a bad thing, it makes coverage still important despite the big boost to a stab.

that fixes both the stall problem and the explaining issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)