Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a metagame submission in the works, so I can't submit the idea myself at the moment, but would anyone be interested reviving VoltTurn Mayhem by Rumors? There are four new Pokemon that I think will be particularly good:

Golispod seems like it was made with VoltTurn Mayhem in mind. Not only does it have a very powerful priority move, but First Impression's drawback gets negated by VoltTurn, and Emergency Exit negates opposing VoltTurn.

The mechanics of Battle Bond pressure the opponent to hard switch. Hydro Cannon and a powerful priority move is just icing on the cake.

Fake Out, and priority in general, was incredibly popular last gen. Psychic Terrain shuts that down.

This thing basically just has Huge Power now.
in "random other metagames" you can play it

small problem i just came across, there are megas in small cup, or is this okay?

small problem i just came across, there are megas in small cup, or is this okay?
Pinsir, heracross, sableye, kanghaskan, aerodactyl, mewtwo, mawile, lati@s and rayquaza come to my mind. I think banning megas in general is the way to go.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Okay, so today in the shower thinking about cool OM ideas, one that I'm pretty sure is unique to others, atleast to my knowledge since I checked.
Sorry in advanced if it's too familiar to something else.

So the general idea is that when the Pokemon on the field uses a move that forces them to switch, the next Pokemon to come in is granted the last Pokemon's ability along with their own ability. So, for example, if Landorus-T uses U-Turn and Greninja comes in afterwards, Greninja will have both Protean and Intimidate. The list below states all the rules in more detail:
  • When a Pokemon uses U-Turn, Volt Switch, or Parting Shot, the Pokemon's ability gets transfers to the next Pokemon with their own ability.
  • Abilities can stack, meaning if a Pokemon has two abilities and uses one of the aforementioned moves, the next Pokemon to come in will have three abilities, two from the last Pokemon, and one of their own.
  • When a Pokemon switches out manually, the abilities passed down are removed and return to the original Pokemon the turn afterwards, meaning if a Pokemon that passed down their abilities comes in after the abilities are passed, it would only come into play the turn after. For example, if Landorus-T passed Intimidate before and the Pokemon that has its Intimidate gets manually switched out, if Landorus-T decides to come in after, Intimidate will not activate, but it will regain it back the next turn for it to pass it off again.
  • Abilities do not stack, so if you end up with two Intimidates, you will not lower the opponents Attack by 2. Duplicates of abilities still count as being part of the Pokemon, but one of them will be ineffective.
  • If a Pokemon with passed down abilities faints or is effected by anything that effects abilities like the way Worry Seed and Mummy do, the passed down abilities are gone, meaning the Pokemon that passed down abilities will have no ability for the rest of the match. The Pokemon on the field will still have their main ability after they switch out. This is to ensure that players will be careful when their Pokemon on the field is stacked with abilities, where in the event it faints, the entire team is without abilities.
That's the main parts to it. There are of course a lot more interactions that need to be looked at like how Trace gets passed, but I'd rather not look into it too much in fear that this won't gain a lot of traction.

I think this OM would bring about a lot more Pokemon with U-Turn, Volt Switch, and Parting Shot that aren't really used in OU, however it still comes up to a fairly small list. With that I lead into this question: Should the moves that can pass down abilities be expanded upon? The two that come up for me are Memento and Healing Wish, both self-fainting moves. Assuming it would, it would give the fainted Pokemon's ability to the next Pokemon to come out, but after that Pokemon faints or switches manually, that passed ability will be lost. Or perhaps, should more Pokemon gain access to U-Turn, Volt Switch, and Parting Shot?

That's all for now, but I'll probably put up some threats in this mock-up OM along with some other things that might need a ban. I'm interesting in seeing what you guys think, though!

Persian-Alola would be really good there as it has Fur Coat and Parting Shot. Diggersby could be as well, as it has U-Turn and Huge Power. Mega Beedrill might even get some use as that has Adaptability. Honestly this is one of the more interesting ideas I've seen recently.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Glad you take interest in it!

I might as well use this post to list the abilities that can actually be passed (only the abilities that are usable and Pokemon that can have at least little use in OU) (also note that abilities that have no use or can't be passed due to issues like RKS System are omitted):
Volt Absorb (Zeraora, Jolteon, Lanturn, Thundurus-T)
Static (Raichu, Electrode, Emolga, Ampharos, Manectric)
Lightning Rod (Raichu, Manectric, Zebstrika, Togedemaru)
Surge Surfer (Alolan Raichu)
Magnet Pull (Alolan Golem, Magnezone, Probopass)
Sturdy (Alolan Golem, Magnezone, Forretress, Probopass, Togedemaru)
Galvanize (Alolan Golem)
Analytic (Magnezone)
Soundproof (Electrode)
Aftermath (Electrode)
Motor Drive (Electivire, Emolga, Zebstrika)
Vital Spirit (Electivire)
Quick Feet (Jolteon)
Synchronize (Mew)
Water Absorb (Lanturn)
Cheek Pouch (Dedenne)
Mold Breaker (Mega Ampharos)
Overcoat (Forretress)
Pressure (Raikou)
Inner Focus (Raikou)
Intimidate (Mega Manectric, Luxray)
Rivalry (Luxray)
Guts (Luxray)
Sand Force (Probopass)
Levitate (all Rotom forms, Elektross, Vikavolt)
Sap Sipper (Zebstrika)
Compound Eyes (Galvantula)
Unnerve (Galvantula)
Swarm (Galvantula)
Clear Body (Klingklang)
Justified (Cobalion)
Prankster (Thundurus-I)
Defiant (Thundurus-I, Thundurus-T)
Dry Skin (Heliolisk)
Sand Veil (Heliolisk)
Solar Power (Heliolisk)
Iron Barbs (Togedemaru)
Electric Surge (Tapu Koko)
Beast Boost (Xurkitree)
Soul-Heart (Magearna)
Notable Standouts: Magnet Pull from Magnezone will continue to trap Steel-type Pokemon after it passes it, allowing for the Pokemon to come in after to keep them trapped and set up easily based on the situation. Rotom-Wash is already a pretty good Pokemon in OU, and it would become better here considering each time it pivots it will pass on Levitate. Beast Boost from Xurkitree may also work well when passing it on to sweepers. Soul-Heart is similar, but is much better for special sweepers, as well as the fact that Magearna is much preferred over Xurkitree. Although it would be difficult to perform, passing Electric Surge and Surge Surfer onto the same Pokemon can ensure double the Speed for them to sweep. Other good abilities to pass includes Volt Absorb, Sap Sipper, Water Absorb, Intimidate, Mold Breaker, and most certainly Galvanize. However, besides Volt Absorb from Zeraora, many of the Pokemon that have these abilities are really obsolete in the OU metagame, but perhaps some might rise due to their now present utility. EDIT: Due to the issues that chartung17 has brought up, Magnet Pull has been quickbanned for now.

U-Turn (WIP)

Iron Fist (Pangoro)
Mold Breaker (Pangoro)
Scrappy (Pangoro)
Fur Coat (Alolan Persian)
Technician (Alolan Persian)
Rattled (Alolan Persian)
Notable Standouts: Out of the six possible options, none of them stand out like Fur Coat does. Like what ChrystalFalchion said, Alolan Persian might see a lot of use with its ability to give double the Defense of the Pokemon to come out after it uses Parting Shot, which is even more useful as it hinders the opponent even more, allowing a possible free turn for you. It also has Technician, but so does Scizor and its Mega form. All of Pangoro's abilities can have some use, though, so perhaps it can have some utility with keeping the opponent guessing on what ability it will pass on.

If it's decided to include them:
Natural Cure (Chansey, Blissey, Celebi, Shaymin)
Serene Grace (Chansey, Blissey, Jirachi)
Synchronize (Gardevoir, Musharna)
Trace (Gardevoir)
Pixilate (Mega Gardevoir)
Levitate (Chimecho, Latias, Mega Latias, Mesprit)
Limber (Lopunny)
Scrappy (Mega Lopunny)
Hydration (Alomomola)
Regenerator (Alomomola, Audino)
Filter (Mr. Mime)
Soundproof (Mr. Mime)
Technician (Mr. Mime)
Forewarn (Musharna)
Chlorophyll (Lilligant)
Own Tempo (Lilligant)
Leaf Guard (Lilligant)
Notable Standouts: Many of these Pokemon are not really good in the first place, and those that are actually decent would rather stay alive. Regardless, there's not too many possibilities for abilities to be passed by Healing Wish. Mesprit might be good as a setup Pokemon where it would Healing Wish to pass on Levitate, but since you'll usually lead with it, the actually healing won't be utilized, but Levitate is still an overall great ability to snag. Once Mega Gardevoir has ran its course, it can Healing Wish to pass Pixilate, a very powerful ability. Again, other Pokemon are too obsolete in OU or the Pokemon would rather stay alive than kill itself to pass its ability.

Memento (WIP)

Last edited:
Notable Standouts: Magnet Pull from Magnezone will continue to trap Steel-type Pokemon after it passes it, allowing for the Pokemon to come in after to keep them trapped and set up easily based on the situation.
Magnet Pull needs to be banned. Here's why:

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Crunch
- Waterfall

If Magnet Pull can be passed to Mega Gyarados, then almost all steel types without a pivot move are going to be unviable, since sending them out before your opponent's Magnet Pull mon is dead could easily result in Gyarados sweeping you. You don't necessarily even have to send them out - Golem-Alola can run Roar if it wants to try to force your steel type in. Even steel types with Volt Switch could be risky, since your opponent could simply Volt Switch from their Magnet Pull mon to Zeraora and then to Gyarados. And while Gyarados might be the most dangerous abuser of this mechanic, he's certainly not the only option.

Trapping moves/abilities normally can't be passed, and for good reason - changing this mechanic could break the game. So if this meta allows abilities to be passed on via pivoting, I think the only reasonable option is to ban all trapping abilities.

Astra

talk to me nice
Magnet Pull needs to be banned. Here's why:

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Crunch
- Waterfall

If Magnet Pull can be passed to Mega Gyarados, then almost all steel types without a pivot move are going to be unviable, since sending them out before your opponent's Magnet Pull mon is dead could easily result in Gyarados sweeping you. You don't necessarily even have to send them out - Golem-Alola can run Roar if it wants to try to force your steel type in. Even steel types with Volt Switch could be risky, since your opponent could simply Volt Switch from their Magnet Pull mon to Zeraora and then to Gyarados. And while Gyarados might be the most dangerous abuser of this mechanic, he's certainly not the only option.

Trapping moves/abilities normally can't be passed, and for good reason - changing this mechanic could break the game. So if this meta allows abilities to be passed on via pivoting, I think the only reasonable option is to ban all trapping abilities.
Very good points here. I wasn't really worried about the overpowered abilities being passed like Arena Trap since they're banned in OU, but as you put it, bringing a Steel-type without a pivot would put you at a big disadvantage. It probably would be easy to pull off, and again like you said a lot of Pokemon can abuse it. So with that, I'll be quickbanning Magnet Pull for now and see how that goes.

No Espeed, Quiver Dance, Belly Drum, Shell Smash, or TArrows.
Don't wait for Kyu-B. It needs to be quickbanned. Maybe also something to stop phazing? Which you just described.
I probably should be cautious of these moves now. But I'm not too sure about Kyurem-Black. Anything else that Kyurem works well besides with Mamoswine's moveslot? As for Komala, that was mostly just me joking around. While Sleep Talk + Roar/Whirlwind can be potentially dangerous, having an extra moveslot to work with means that Sleep Talk's chances of getting Roar/Whirlwind will be less frequent.

Necrozma should also be pretty good in VoltTurn Mayhem, thanks to Prismatic Laser. Prismatic Laser is not only stronger and more accurate than Hyper Beam, but it's also boosted by Psychic Terrain, which as previously noted would be amazing in VTM.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
First Served*
*name may subject to changes
Metagame Premise: The first Pokemon in the team shares its moveslot with the rest of the party. As in, they gain access to their own and the first Pokemon's moveslots. The top moveslot will be its own while the bottom belongs to the first Pokemon. And yes, the first Pokemon doesn't get the sharing moveslot feature.

Basically, a single version of Partner in Crime except without the ability sharing part.

Banlist:
OU clause

Banned Pokemon:
None yet

Moves banned from sharing (these moves will not show up at the bottom moveslot):
Belly Drum
Chatter
Extreme Speed
Final Gambit
Geomancy
Lovely Kiss
Quiver Dance
Shell Smash
Shift Gear
Sticky Web
Spore
Thousand Arrows
Transform

Potential bans and threats:
Smeargle gets access to almost any move in the game with Sketch, so it might be a huge threat as the first Pokemon. Seems like something that I should just straight out ban it, but its low stats states otherwise.

Another dangerous threat to keep an eye on would be Zygarde. In addition to Thousand Arrows, it can give Dragon Dance and Extreme Speed to the rest of the team, as well as getting other nifty stuff such as V-create or U-turn if it isn't the first Pokemon.

Kyurem-Black would appreciate getting Icicle Crash and Earthquake from Mamoswine, along several others. I feel like it's best to see it in action first before taking any action.

want to see komala using roar or whirlwind with sleep talk over and over again

Question for the community:
Should the moveslot sharing part last until the first Pokemon faints or till the battle ends?
Anything else that's missing on the banlist? What else shouldn't be banned in the first place?
I personally think you should ban Smeargle despite the stats, and here’s why.

It can learn any move.

Sure, the low stats mean it’s basically useless in terms of anything but support, but its contribution to the rest of the team is enormous.

Give Smeargle Moongeist Beam, Focus Blast, Spectral Thief and Sacred Sword and you have a hyper-offense team with perfect neutral coverage on every Pokémon.

Want a more special-oriented offense team? Why not switch out Spectral Thief and Sacred Sword for Blue Flare and Psystrike?

Setup sweepers? Slap Coil, Dragon Dance, Tail Glow and Cotton Guard on it.

Stall team? Give everyone Strength Sap, Cosmic Power, Leech Seed and Infestation, and then they get four more moves each.

If it’s not banned, Smeargle is going to be pretty much the only thing anyone uses as a lead.

Other threats I can see:

-Vespiquen
Very lackluster as an actual Pokémon, but its access to Defend Order and Heal Order are a phenomenal boon to stall.

-Pyukumuku
Can give Soak, Block and Recover to teammates, or benefit from access to actual attacks if it’s not in the front slot.

-Celesteela
Has great synergy with balance, offense and stall already, and now can pass on Leech Seed, Fire Blast, and Autotomize.

-Regigigas
Oh boy, where to start with this absolute monster. Remember how Regigigas doesn’t learn Protect, because then you can burn half of your Slow Start turns? And how it doesn’t have recovery (not even Rest) because something that bulky and hard-hitting would be busted with any form of recovery, Slow Start notwithstanding? And how it usually has to use up half its moveset to try to survive 5 turns? Yeah, now you see where I’m coming from. In this meta, it can get Protect, Dragon Dance and Roost from something like Dragonite or Mega Altaria. Fantastic synergy with Pyukumuku’s Protect/Recover/Substitute/Toxic set, so it can be a deceptively powerful option to add to a mainly stall-based team.

-Mega Pidgeot
No Guard + anything from the first slot. Zap Cannon? Hypnosis? Sing? Up to you.

-Zoroark
Harder to predict, since every teammate shares four moves.

-Victini
Can give away V-Create and Bolt Strike for physical attackers (and Serperior), and Blue Flare for special attackers (or Searing Shot if accuracy is a concern).

-Beat Up
If you put Beat Up on the first Pokémon in the party, you can just mess around with King’s Rock all day long. Jirachi with a King’s Rock, Serene Grace and a move that always hits six times basically completely shuts down any Pokémon slower than it. Even without Serene Grace, that’s still six 10% chances the opponent has to flinch (which works out to around a 50% chance that the opponent can attack, because of how probability works). Because of how weak Beat Up is, this likely shouldn’t be problematic, but if it becomes popular it should be looked at, since it essentially turns the game into a coin flip for the opponent.

-Dragon Dance
Just give it to everything. Mega Medicham, Mega Mawile, Alolan Marowak, whatever.

-Certain Status Z-Moves
Unfortunately, you can only use the Z-Move with one Pokémon, but a move like Forest’s Curse is actually useful on any Pokémon because it adds a terrible defensive type to your opponent. Z-Conversion and Z-Forest’s Curse can give an instant +1 to everything on any Pokémon you choose—but choose wisely, you can only do it once.

-First Impression
Put Golisopod in the first team slot to make Mega Beedrill practically unstoppable.

-Araquanid
With Crawdaunt in the front slot, Araquanid can get Dragon Dance, Crabhammer and Aqua Jet, with Water Bubble. And it learns Sticky Web naturally, so it can serve as support at the same time.

As for Kyurem, ban it. The threat of that with Dragon Dance or any physical Ice move is too much.

Okay, so today in the shower thinking about cool OM ideas, one that I'm pretty sure is unique to others, atleast to my knowledge since I checked.
Sorry in advanced if it's too familiar to something else.

So the general idea is that when the Pokemon on the field uses a move that forces them to switch, the next Pokemon to come in is granted the last Pokemon's ability along with their own ability. So, for example, if Landorus-T uses U-Turn and Greninja comes in afterwards, Greninja will have both Protean and Intimidate. The list below states all the rules in more detail:
  • When a Pokemon uses U-Turn, Volt Switch, or Parting Shot, the Pokemon's ability gets transfers to the next Pokemon with their own ability.
  • Abilities can stack, meaning if a Pokemon has two abilities and uses one of the aforementioned moves, the next Pokemon to come in will have three abilities, two from the last Pokemon, and one of their own.
  • When a Pokemon switches out manually, the abilities passed down are removed and return to the original Pokemon the turn afterwards, meaning if a Pokemon that passed down their abilities comes in after the abilities are passed, it would only come into play the turn after. For example, if Landorus-T passed Intimidate before and the Pokemon that has its Intimidate gets manually switched out, if Landorus-T decides to come in after, Intimidate will not activate, but it will regain it back the next turn for it to pass it off again.
  • Abilities do not stack, so if you end up with two Intimidates, you will not lower the opponents Attack by 2. Duplicates of abilities still count as being part of the Pokemon, but one of them will be ineffective.
  • If a Pokemon with passed down abilities faints or is effected by anything that effects abilities like the way Worry Seed and Mummy do, the passed down abilities are gone, meaning the Pokemon that passed down abilities will have no ability for the rest of the match. The Pokemon on the field will still have their main ability after they switch out. This is to ensure that players will be careful when their Pokemon on the field is stacked with abilities, where in the event it faints, the entire team is without abilities.
That's the main parts to it. There are of course a lot more interactions that need to be looked at like how Trace gets passed, but I'd rather not look into it too much in fear that this won't gain a lot of traction.

I think this OM would bring about a lot more Pokemon with U-Turn, Volt Switch, and Parting Shot that aren't really used in OU, however it still comes up to a fairly small list. With that I lead into this question: Should the moves that can pass down abilities be expanded upon? The two that come up for me are Memento and Healing Wish, both self-fainting moves. Assuming it would, it would give the fainted Pokemon's ability to the next Pokemon to come out, but after that Pokemon faints or switches manually, that passed ability will be lost. Or perhaps, should more Pokemon gain access to U-Turn, Volt Switch, and Parting Shot?

That's all for now, but I'll probably put up some threats in this mock-up OM along with some other things that might need a ban. I'm interesting in seeing what you guys think, though!
I like the idea of using memento and healing wish, i think that alone would make a lot of pokemon more viable, altough they need to die to pass an ability. The same can be applied to final gambit, explosion and self destruct if they are considered as self fainting moves.

Other effects that can be considered are eject button and emergency exit, though they are not moves, they are self inflicted effects that make the user switch out. Emergency exit is hilarious, since then you can start an emergency exit passing chain (regenerator would need to be banned if this is used).

Shedinja has to be looked down, he can get both sturdy and magic guard to make him almost unkillable. Magic guard can be safely passed down by clefable healing wish (do hazzards affect him when shed switch in if it gets passed magic guard?). It can also pass wonder guard (unless it is hardcoded) via final gambit if it is allowed. The downside of using shed is its weaknesses to mold breaker users (mega ampharos for example) who can force it out easily.

I personally think you should ban Smeargle despite the stats, and here’s why.

It can learn any move.

Sure, the low stats mean it’s basically useless in terms of anything but support, but its contribution to the rest of the team is enormous.

Give Smeargle Moongeist Beam, Focus Blast, Spectral Thief and Sacred Sword and you have a hyper-offense team with perfect neutral coverage on every Pokémon.

Want a more special-oriented offense team? Why not switch out Spectral Thief and Sacred Sword for Blue Flare and Psystrike?

Setup sweepers? Slap Coil, Dragon Dance, Tail Glow and Cotton Guard on it.

Stall team? Give everyone Strength Sap, Cosmic Power, Leech Seed and Infestation, and then they get four more moves each.

If it’s not banned, Smeargle is going to be pretty much the only thing anyone uses as a lead.

Other threats I can see:

-Vespiquen
Very lackluster as an actual Pokémon, but its access to Defend Order and Heal Order are a phenomenal boon to stall.

-Pyukumuku
Can give Soak, Block and Recover to teammates, or benefit from access to actual attacks if it’s not in the front slot.

-Celesteela
Has great synergy with balance, offense and stall already, and now can pass on Leech Seed, Fire Blast, and Autotomize.

-Regigigas
Oh boy, where to start with this absolute monster. Remember how Regigigas doesn’t learn Protect, because then you can burn half of your Slow Start turns? And how it doesn’t have recovery (not even Rest) because something that bulky and hard-hitting would be busted with any form of recovery, Slow Start notwithstanding? And how it usually has to use up half its moveset to try to survive 5 turns? Yeah, now you see where I’m coming from. In this meta, it can get Protect, Dragon Dance and Roost from something like Dragonite or Mega Altaria. Fantastic synergy with Pyukumuku’s Protect/Recover/Substitute/Toxic set, so it can be a deceptively powerful option to add to a mainly stall-based team.

-Mega Pidgeot
No Guard + anything from the first slot. Zap Cannon? Hypnosis? Sing? Up to you.

-Zoroark
Harder to predict, since every teammate shares four moves.

-Victini
Can give away V-Create and Bolt Strike for physical attackers (and Serperior), and Blue Flare for special attackers (or Searing Shot if accuracy is a concern).

-Beat Up
If you put Beat Up on the first Pokémon in the party, you can just mess around with King’s Rock all day long. Jirachi with a King’s Rock, Serene Grace and a move that always hits six times basically completely shuts down any Pokémon slower than it. Even without Serene Grace, that’s still six 10% chances the opponent has to flinch (which works out to around a 50% chance that the opponent can attack, because of how probability works). Because of how weak Beat Up is, this likely shouldn’t be problematic, but if it becomes popular it should be looked at, since it essentially turns the game into a coin flip for the opponent.

-Dragon Dance
Just give it to everything. Mega Medicham, Mega Mawile, Alolan Marowak, whatever.

-Certain Status Z-Moves
Unfortunately, you can only use the Z-Move with one Pokémon, but a move like Forest’s Curse is actually useful on any Pokémon because it adds a terrible defensive type to your opponent. Z-Conversion and Z-Forest’s Curse can give an instant +1 to everything on any Pokémon you choose—but choose wisely, you can only do it once.

-First Impression
Put Golisopod in the first team slot to make Mega Beedrill practically unstoppable.

-Araquanid
With Crawdaunt in the front slot, Araquanid can get Dragon Dance, Crabhammer and Aqua Jet, with Water Bubble. And it learns Sticky Web naturally, so it can serve as support at the same time.

As for Kyurem, ban it. The threat of that with Dragon Dance or any physical Ice move is too much.
Yeah, probably should ban Smeargle and Kyurem Black later down the line. Though I do want to point out a few stuff:
  • Vespiquen: Why would you suggest Vespiquen when others (like Clefable) can simply share defense boosting move to those that have reliable recovery and vice visa?
  • Celesteela: Doesn't actually run Automize anymore.
  • Regigias & Mega Pidgeot: Yikes.
  • Dragon Dance: I don't think Mega Mawile and Alolan Marowak are good candidate since they are too slow. I suppose something like Kartana or Landorus would be more terrifying.
  • First Impression: Don't agree with this one since First Impression is only relevant for Mega Beedrill when the other is going to use priority move on its first turn, and Golisopod doesn't seem like a good fit to OU.
Perhaps the metagame idea doesn't sound too good, but at least people do understand the mechanic of it. I was kinda afraid that people won't get it.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Yeah, probably should ban Smeargle and Kyurem Black later down the line. Though I do want to point out a few stuff:
  • Vespiquen: Why would you suggest Vespiquen when others (like Clefable) can simply share defense boosting move to those that have reliable recovery and vice visa?
  • Celesteela: Doesn't actually run Automize anymore.
  • Regigias & Mega Pidgeot: Yikes.
  • Dragon Dance: I don't think Mega Mawile and Alolan Marowak are good candidate since they are too slow. I suppose something like Kartana or Landorus would be more terrifying.
  • First Impression: Don't agree with this one since First Impression is only relevant for Mega Beedrill when the other is going to use priority move on its first turn, and Golisopod doesn't seem like a good fit to OU.
Perhaps the metagame idea doesn't sound too good, but at least people do understand the mechanic of it. I was kinda afraid that people won't get it.
No, this meta actually sounds amazing. I honestly really want to play it, mostly because I really want to run a mostly-stall team with Pyukumuku/Regigigas synergy.

I probably should be cautious of these moves now. But I'm not too sure about Kyurem-Black. Anything else that Kyurem works well besides with Mamoswine's moveslot? As for Komala, that was mostly just me joking around. While Sleep Talk + Roar/Whirlwind can be potentially dangerous, having an extra moveslot to work with means that Sleep Talk's chances of getting Roar/Whirlwind will be less frequent.
Ok, your Komala argument here makes sense. I give you that. But for Kyurem-Black? Anything with Physical Ice moves. Weavile, for example.
Access to Beat Up, which was talked about, Knock Off, Icicle Crash, Ice Shard (I think?), Fake Out, Sucker Punch (?), and Poison Jab. There can also be Cloyster, with access to Shell Smash, Ice Shard, Icicle Spear, Icicle Crash and Rock Blast.
Both are very good 'mons, but with Kyurem-Black, it will be too much.
Also, for a name. Maybe Leader Of The Pack?

... Estronic's metagame (AbiliPass?) ...
No, Shared Power.

Some more AbiliPass mons.

While your mind might jump to Zap Cannon and Dynamic Punch, I think it would be better to pair with less situational moves like Sleep Powder, Stone Edge, and Thunder.

Guts is a great ability for physical attackers. Luxray can also pass Guts, but Luxray is trash, so...

Protean.

Both these mons can pass on the abilities of Technician and Skill Link. Both sound terrifying when paired with Pin Missile Mega Beedrill.

Prankster is nice, but the real weapon is Worry Seed, which stops long ability chains in their tracks.

I make it my mission in every OM to see how it can benefit Volcarona, and Simple Quiver Dance sounds pretty great.

Some more AbiliPass mons.

While your mind might jump to Zap Cannon and Dynamic Punch, I think it would be better to pair with less situational moves like Sleep Powder, Stone Edge, and Thunder.

Guts is a great ability for physical attackers. Luxray can also pass Guts, but Luxray is trash, so...

Protean.

Both these mons can pass on the abilities of Technician and Skill Link. Both sound terrifying when paired with Pin Missile Mega Beedrill.

Prankster is nice, but the real weapon is Worry Seed, which stops long ability chains in their tracks.

I make it my mission in every OM to see how it can benefit Volcarona, and Simple Quiver Dance sounds pretty great.
You forgot a few, such as Toxapex and Tangrowth. Both can give Regenerator, which sounds so fun for Stall. There's also Chansey and Starmie's Natural Cure, which means Stall is almost unkillable. There's also the likes of Stamina and Beast Boost. I don't think Mudsdale would be that good though. Celesteela will be very good though.

As for physical attackers, There's Guts, from many 'mons. Quick Feet from Ursaring and Jolteon. Tough Claws, Adaptibility and Dazzling also work. Maybe Queenly Majesty over Dazzling?

By the way, think of bans. These are overall banned abilities though, not just banned from passing. I think of one right away, which is Huge/Pure Power. Even if you banned the passing, these 'mons would be very overpowered with access to Adaptability and so forth.

You forgot a few, such as Toxapex and Tangrowth. Both can give Regenerator, which sounds so fun for Stall. There's also Chansey and Starmie's Natural Cure, which means Stall is almost unkillable. There's also the likes of Stamina and Beast Boost. I don't think Mudsdale would be that good though. Celesteela will be very good though.

As for physical attackers, There's Guts, from many 'mons. Quick Feet from Ursaring and Jolteon. Tough Claws, Adaptibility and Dazzling also work. Maybe Queenly Majesty over Dazzling?

By the way, think of bans. These are overall banned abilities though, not just banned from passing. I think of one right away, which is Huge/Pure Power. Even if you banned the passing, these 'mons would be very overpowered with access to Adaptability and so forth.
Toxapex and Tangrowth have no way of passing regen because they dont have moves that force them out. Mienshao and Tornadus can pass it with u-turn, Audino and Alomomola can pass it with healing wish, and corsola and Reuniclus can use explosion. Chansey cannot pass natural cure unless it suicides.

I think of three ways for the user to force its pokemon out without using moves (though the premise don't include them so far):
1) via eject button
2) via emergency exit (which chains)
3) via blocking parting shot with magic bounce (and become inmune to parting shot).

1537209586180.png

Zebstrika @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Sap Sipper

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Serious Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Volt Switch

- Overheat

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [Ice]

With Sap Sipper you become immune to worry seed, adding some stability to the chain. Choice Scarf is to prevent ground types from switching via fast pivoting. You can also go for electric immunity, so your opponent may not click Volt Switch if it doesn`t know Zebstrika ability.

1537209604012.png

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Electrium Z

Ability: Volt Absorb

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Naive Nature

- U-turn

- Volt Switch

- Thunder

- Hidden Power [Ice]

Probably the premiere Volt Absorb passer since it can pass it with u-turn countering other Volt Absorbers (Pachirisu also works).

Other viable electric immunities are togedemaru (Lighting rod + u-turn), Manectric (Can pass two useful abilities like Lightning rod and Intimidate if it mega evolves, idk if that is allowed) and Zeraora.

1537209725639.png

Diggersby @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Huge Power

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- U-turn

- Return

- Earthquake

- Ice Punch

Diggersby has Huge Power, u-turn, electric imunity and good synergy with Sapp Sipper.

1537209549656.png

Xatu @ Leftovers/Red Card

Ability: Synchronize

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Relaxed Nature

- U-turn

- Heat Wave

- Defog

- Roost

Magic Bounce gives you immunity to Worry Seed, Roar and other negative effects like Leech Seed. Use Red Card to force a switch and break a chain.

I think Speed Boost will be a decisive ability since quick passing is really important for both offensive and defensive teams if your goal is to stack abilities quickly. However, slow passing can be very effective on offense to safely switch into a wallbreaker with a powerful ability like tinted lens or Adaptability who can get at least one kill and break a chain down.

Astra

talk to me nice
Thanks for your replies, everyone! I've looked them over and commented on some things that have been mentioned here:
I like the idea of using memento and healing wish, i think that alone would make a lot of pokemon more viable, altough they need to die to pass an ability. The same can be applied to final gambit, explosion and self destruct if they are considered as self fainting moves.
I'm pretty certain that I'll be including Healing Wish and Memento (and I guess Lunar Dance) for moves that can pass abilities. This would split them into two categories of effecting the opponent and effecting yourself, which I think would provide many options on how to approach team building. Final Gambit, Explosion, and Self-Destruct would fall under moves that effect both sides, so maybe they'll make a good inclusion as well. Plus, it amps up the possibilities for the OM overall.
Other effects that can be considered are eject button and emergency exit, though they are not moves, they are self inflicted effects that make the user switch out. Emergency exit is hilarious, since then you can start an emergency exit passing chain (regenerator would need to be banned if this is used).
Eject Button could see some use in this OM, however the small issue I have here is that I believe it would decrease the lack of diversity. For example, if you want to pass a really good ability in your team and you have a choice between a very good Pokemon without a passing move or a mediocre Pokemon with a passing move, you might be inclined to just choose the the better Pokemon and use Eject Button on it. The thing that I like about my OM so far that it provides many barely used Pokemon a very good utility option, thus increasing their viability, but I'm scared that Eject Button would ruin their chances through the item being slapped on already viable Pokemon.
Emergency Exit, like you said, could have very hilarious results. However, again like you said, Regenerator can be easily abused with it. It's hard to tell how exactly Emergency Exit would be, with the primary reason being it's the only abilities that has such effect besides Wimp Out, meaning there's hardly anything to compare it to. I'll still keep an eye on it, though.
Shedinja has to be looked down, he can get both sturdy and magic guard to make him almost unkillable. Magic guard can be safely passed down by clefable healing wish (do hazzards affect him when shed switch in if it gets passed magic guard?). It can also pass wonder guard (unless it is hardcoded) via final gambit if it is allowed. The downside of using shed is its weaknesses to mold breaker users (mega ampharos for example) who can force it out easily.
I'm considering to quickban Shedninja for basically what you said here. With the right passing, you'll be able to make it basically unstoppable. Passing Wonder Guard would be an issue too.
Also, to answer your question, passing abilities mean that the next Pokemon to receive it will gain it right as they swap in. However, if the Pokemon with passed abilities gets manually switched, if you decide to go into a Pokemon that passed its ability to the Pokemon out before, it will gain the ability the turn after, so it won't have an ability the turn it switches in. This is to ensure no dumb gimmicks like Intimidate spam are possible,
I'll definitely be looking at some abilities to straight up ban. I've already quickbanned Magnet Pull, and Huge Power and Pure Power seem to be the most likely candidates next. I'll be looking at them, but while trying not to ban too much at the start, since I don't want to limit a good chunk of the OM right off the bat.

Thank you everyone who provided comments on this, and especially those who theorycrafted as well, you'll contributions will be a great help for me to refine this OM the best I can!

is this already a thing?

Stat go round

pokemons stats are moved over by 1 from left to right and reverse if shiny
It's a cool idea, but i am afraid it is a bit similar to Nature Swap. Mixed walls like Toxapex might bacome Special Attackers. Does Hp count as stat? I guess not counting Hp is the best bet to keep things like Chansey unbanned.

I think of a new meta, i will think on more sets later.

Effect Fusion

Metagame premise: Single hit regular attacks of the same (original) type will have the lowest accuracy of those moves and all their effects combined, with the exception of effects that determine power, positive priority and typing.

For example: If you have a pokemon with knock off and pursuit, in case you click anyone of them you will remove the opponent’s item and pursuit trap them. If you click Knock Off you won’t be gaining the double power of pursuit when a pokemon flees but if you click pursuit you won’t be gaining the 50% boost of knocking off an item. If you add snarl, you will also be dropping your opponent special attack with any dark type attack you select. Since negative effects are also added, that means that adding sucker punch will make any dark type attack fails if your opponent doesn’t attack, and you don’t gain extra priority if you click other move besides Sucker Punch. If you add Foul Play, then your opponent's Attack will be used in damage calculation (even if you select an Special Attack!).

If you combine Thunderbolt with Zap Cannon you will get 100% chance of paralyze but Thunderbolt accuracy will drop to 50%, this can be compensated by using shock wave, since then your electric attacks will not check accuracy anymore.

Similar effects stack together. Ice Beam + Freeze Dry will turn into an attack with 19% chance of freezing that hits water types super effective.

Some combos:

Thousand Arrows + Thousand Waves + Bulldoze for Zygarde. Speed control, trapping and Smacking down within a single attack. Earthquake can be used for more power, but Extreme Speed might be better in a Choice Band set.

Zap Cannon, Shock wave and Charge beam create a 120 bp attack that never fails, always paralyzes and has a chance to raise your special attack even more.

V Create and Flame Charge combined create a 180 bp fire type attack with the same downside as Close Combat.

Fake Out + Body Slam: By clicking body slam in the first turn you switch in you will have guaranteed flinching and 30% Chance of paralysis, then Body Slam will always fail. Fake Out can be used for +3 priority, but the power is quite lower. Double Edge can be used for more power instead of Body Slam, but recall that in that case Fake Out will also have recoil.

Threats: Serperior can combine Leafstorm and Giga Drain. Weavile, Tyranitar and dark types in general might dominate due to the cool effects of their attacks; the latter can also try Bulldoze + Earthquake. Volcarona and Heatran can mix their fire types to create powerful weapons that trap, increase speed or special attack and/or burn.

Questions:

• Do you think it is ok to keep Z-moves out of the fused effect?
  • What should be done with the category of the move (Sound based, contact, etc.)?
  • Do you believe that the accumulation of moves of the same type will allow good defensive counterplay due to lack of coverage? Or do you think the multiple effects of a single attack might be too much taking into account that Choice items are viable options for mons with many moves with similar type?

Last edited:

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
It's a cool idea, but i am afraid it is a bit similar to Nature Swap. Mixed walls like Toxapex might bacome Special Attackers. Does Hp count as stat? I guess not counting Hp is the best bet to keep things like Chansey unbanned.

I think of a new meta, i will think on more sets later.

Effect Fusion

Metagame premise: Single hit regular attacks of the same (original) type will have the lowest accuracy of those moves and all their effects combined, with the exception of effects that determine power, positive priority and typing.

For example: If you have a pokemon with knock off and pursuit, in case you click anyone of them you will remove the opponent’s item and pursuit trap them. If you click Knock Off you won’t be gaining the double power of pursuit when a pokemon flees but if you click pursuit you won’t be gaining the 50% boost of knocking off an item. If you add snarl, you will also be dropping your opponent special attack with any dark type attack you select. Since negative effects are also added, that means that adding sucker punch will make any dark type attack fails if your opponent doesn’t attack, and you don’t gain extra priority if you click other move besides Sucker Punch. If you add Foul Play, then your opponent's Attack will be used in damage calculation (even if you select an Special Attack!).

If you combine Thunderbolt with Zap Cannon you will get 100% chance of paralyze but Thunderbolt accuracy will drop to 50%, this can be compensated by using shock wave, since then your electric attacks will not check accuracy anymore.

Similar effects stack together. Ice Beam + Freeze Dry will turn into an attack with 81% chance of freezing that hits water types super effective.

Some combos:

Thousand Arrows + Thousand Waves + Bulldoze for Zygarde. Speed control, trapping and Smacking down within a single attack. Earthquake can be used for more power, but Extreme Speed might be better in a Choice Band set.

Zap Cannon, Shock wave and Charge beam create a 120 bp attack that never fails, always paralyzes and has a chance to raise your special attack even more.

V Create and Flame Charge combined create a 180 bp fire type attack with the same downside as Close Combat.

Fake Out + Body Slam: By clicking body slam in the first turn you switch in you will have guaranteed flinching and 30% Chance of paralysis, then Body Slam will always fail. Fake Out can be used for +3 priority, but the power is quite lower. Double Edge can be used for more power instead of Body Slam, but recall that in that case Fake Out will also have recoil.

Threats: Serperior can combine Leafstorm and Giga Drain. Weavile, Tyranitar and dark types in general might dominate due to the cool effects of their attacks; the latter can also try Bulldoze + Earthquake. Volcarona and Heatran can mix their fire types to create powerful weapons that trap, increase speed or special attack and/or burn.

Questions:

• What should be done with the category of the move (Sound based, contact, etc.)?
  • Do you believe that the accumulation of moves of the same type will allow good defensive counterplay due to lack of coverage? Or do you think the multiple effects of a single attack might be too much taking into account that Choice items are viable options for mons with many moves with similar type?
I really like this idea. The combination of moves might seem overwhelming to some, but considering it requires taking up multiple moveslots and sacrificing coverage, I don't consider it broken at all.

Some threats I can see:

-Xurkitree. That Shock Wave/Zap Cannon/Charge Beam combo is going to hurt.
-Jirachi. Zen Headbutt and Heart Stamp stack their flinch chances, which are then doubled by Serene Grace. Considering how dominant Dark-types are probably going to be, this isn't as much of an issue as it looks.
-Mega Pinsir. Close Combat/Storm Throw always crits and has 120 power, in addition to having to deal with the standard Aerilate nonsense.
-Machamp. No Guard Dynamic Punch/Power-Up Punch always confuses, has 100 power and gives you +1 Attack afterward.
-Mega Lopunny. High Jump Kick/Power-Up Punch has 130 power and gives +1 Attack, plus Scrappy means it can hit everything.
-Alolan Marowak. Flare Blitz/Flame Charge has 120 power, gives +1 Speed and has a chance to burn. Rock Head lets it avoid recoil.
-Mega Pidgeot. Hurricane/Air Slash has 110 power, a 30% chance to confuse, a 30% chance to flinch, and a 0% chance to miss because of No Guard.
-Comfey. Dazzling Gleam/Draining Kiss has 80 power and restores 75% of the damage dealt, and I think it would still gain +3 priority under Triage, since Triage is an ability and not a move effect. If that's not how it works, then Comfey is garbage and you can forget I ever said this.
-Mega Gardevoir. Pixilate Hyper Voice/Draining Kiss has 108 power and restores 75% of the damage dealt, if Pixilate lets Hyper Voice be treated as a Fairy-type move.
-Togedemaru. Zing Zap/Nuzzle has a 30% chance to flinch and a 100% chance to paralyze.
-Physical Togekiss. No, really. Extreme Speed/Headbutt/Body Slam has +2 priority with a 60% flinch chance and 60% paralysis chance thanks to Serene Grace.
-Alolan Ninetales. Blizzard/Frost Breath/Freeze-Dry has 110 power, always crits, always hits in hail, and is super-effective on Water-types. Oh, and it has an increased chance to freeze.

(And are you sure that Ice Beam and Freeze-Dry combine to give an 81% chance of freezing? That doesn't seem right.)

-Mega Gardevoir. Pixilate Hyper Voice/Draining Kiss has 108 power and restores 75% of the damage dealt, if Pixilate lets Hyper Voice be treated as a Fairy-type move.

(And are you sure that Ice Beam and Freeze-Dry combine to give an 81% chance of freezing? That doesn't seem right.)
No, it shouldn't since the ability happens afterwards.

Yes, keep the Z-Moves out of the fused effect. Way too much coding, and a little overpowered.
Maybe, in an effort to balance, keep the effects separate from status and physical/special.

Kate

Metamodernity
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
RBTT Champion
So I was thinking of an idea, and I came up with this...
Placeholder (I couldn't think of a name. Maybe Role Reversal)
Premise: Abilities and items are swapped
So at first you may be thinking, "this is stupid and barely changes anything." However, note that power herb as an ability will now infinitely execute on the first turn. Mental herb will now always prevent taunt.
So to give the basic idea, im going to give a list of some abilities/ items that will change.
Arena Trap: Traps a single pokemon. Single use
Beast Boost: Raises the pokemon's most proficient stat by one. Single use
Berserk:Boosts the pokemon sp. atk when hit by a move that cause its HP to be half or less. single use
Bulletproof: Protects the pokemon from ball and bomb moves. Single use
Clear Body: Prevents other Pokemon's moves or items from lowering its stats. Single use
This is just a starter list. It would be appreciated if any of you guys could add on to the list. I didn't do the whole thing because it would take a very long time. Anyway, onto some items that will change.
Absorb Bulb: Now acts as Storm Drain
Air Balloon: Immunity to Ground
Cell Battery: Now acts as lightning rod, except with an Atk. boost
Damp Rock/ Heat Rock/ Smooth Rock/ Icy Rock: All weather effects, regardless of whether the user has caused it, is boosted to 8 turns.
Electric seed/ Misty seed/ grassy seed/ psychic seed: Will always boost the given stat by one on the given terrain.
As with before/ adding on to the list is much appreciated!
Threats: Any pokemon that can take advantage of power herb is going to be better.
Bans: Z moves will either be one time use or banned. Sitrus, super sitrus berries lum berry, chesto berry
There's more I'll add if you guys sound interested in this idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)