Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still relatively new to OMs as a whole. I don't even know if this is really a good idea or if it's too similar to Cross Evolution/Mix And Mega/some other metagame, but I just thought I'd toss it out here.

(i also don't have a name for this because godly gift was taken)
Metagame premise: Each Pokemon you choose can gain a set of stat buffs/nerfs that they gain that are based on a Legendary Pokemon of your choice's stats if the Pokemon is nicknamed the Legendary Pokemon's name. The Legendary Pokemon and the Pokemon you're giving the boosts must also share at least one typing, and in the case of a Mega Evolution, it must have said type before and after Mega Evolution. The stat buffs go (Legendary Pokemon's base stat - 100). So, if I were to give a Tentacruel the nickname Kyogre, since Kyogre has the stats 100/100/90/150/140/90, it'd gain 0 points in HP and Attack, lose 10 points in Defense and Speed, gain 50 in Special Attack and 40 in Special Defense. They can gain the abilities of the Legendary Pokemon if you choose. Also, it's OU based
Potential bans and threats: For bans, Huge Power, Pure Power, any stats that go below 0 or above 255.
Questions for the community: Is this too similar to the OMs mentioned before? What could be a good name for it? Could I add anything else to it?
I'm assuming its OU mons but the legendary can be Ubers (Might want to clear that up)
Deoxsys attack sounds complete ridiculous- but it does have the -80 atk/ sp.f - but if a mon has high enough both and good coverage it receives +80 atk and sp.atk along with +50 speed. There are alot of pokemon who this would work for. Including Blastoise and Meganium- going by gen 1 and gen 2 starters alone.
It would make many mons basically phero.

I also see regigas or kyurem black for mons like koko who need a boost in attack but have good speed.

As for a name how about PokePantheons or just Pantheons. (Referring to a set of gods)

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Wormhole Effect

Metagame premise
:

This metagame's idea has been derived from the mechanism of Ultra Beast, the ability Beast Boost, and the existing metagame, Gift of the Gods.

The only change is:

Every member of the party will have its highest stats replace the stats, depending on the order of the arrangement.

upload_2017-4-11_21-25-18.png

Image copied from this page

Example:

upload_2017-4-11_21-31-48.png

Original Stats:
50/63/152/53/142/35

Since Toxapex is in the first team slot, its HP stat will be replaced by its highest stat.

New Stats:
152/63/152/53/142/35

Original Stats:
72/95/67/103/71/122

Since Greninja is in the second team slot, its Attack stat will be replaced by its highest stat.

New Stats:
72/122/67/103/71/122

Original Stats:
109/53/47/127/131/103

Since Nihilego is in the third team slot, its Defense stat will be replaced by its highest stat.

New Stats:
109/53/131/127/131/103

Original Stats:
105/140/55/30/55/95

Since Darmanitan is in the fourth team slot, its Special Attack stat will be replaced by its highest stat.

New Stats:
105/140/55/140/55/95

Original Stats:
100/100/125/110/50/50

Since Tangrowth is in the fifth team slot, its Special Defense stat will be replaced by its highest stat.

New Stats:
100/100/125/110/125/50

Original Stats:
93/89/71/173/71/83

Since Xurkitree is in the sixth team slot, its Speed stat will be replaced by its highest stat.

New Stats:
93/89/71/173/71/173

Potential bans and threats:

Follows standard OU banlist, and the specific bans are:

Items:
Eviolite
Medichamite
Mawilite

Pokemon Ban:
Azumarill
Chansey
Blissey
Diggersby
Pheromosa
Kyurem-B
Shuckle
Araquanid
Toxapex

Ability Ban:
Huge Power
Pure Power
Water Bubble

Ultra Beast Clause:
No more than 2 Ultra Beasts in each team. The reason is quite self-explantory from sample team and also they can optimize the stat they wish to boost, such as by boosting Xurkitree's Speed even further using Beast Boost assuming it was place in the sixth slot.

I believe countless number of threats will be developed, so anyone who would volunteer to provide threat examples would be greatly appreciated.

Questions for the community:

* Is the complete ban of Ultra Beasts necessary?
* Should Dugtrio be banned?
* Is Huge / Pure Power acceptable in this metagame's mechanics and should be unbanned?
* Due to the stat spread making walls harder to penetrate, is the unban on Landorus-I and Genesect applicable?
* How can I make this not too similar to the existing metagame, Godly Gifts?

Last edited:
This could get very broken very quickly.
Defensively you could have regenerator intimidate on all Pokémon
Offensively you could combo Guts, Poison Heal, Quick Feet, adaptability, -ate to get the ultimate Facade.

I imagine Mold Breaker/Teravolt will be on most every team well as core enforcer and gastro acid

And of course this is another meta where Noivern gets STAB boomburst.
Yeah I but that was kind of what I was going for were teams would be focused on being able to counter different types of teams. For example you can run contrary to deal with intimidate teams and use mummy and ability changing moves to prevent them from using their abilities. Though maybe arena trap should not be band if regenerator is too good.
Maybe it could be that the first two slots have their abilities combined but only between those two. The same would happen to the other two pairs of two.
I would rather have it were the team is split in half and shares abilities within their half.
If you have both Drizzle + Drought on your team, or Electric Surge + Psychic Surge, am I interpreting it correctly as "the one that wins out initially is random, but from then on, every time you switch Pokemon, you are guaranteed to switch to the opposite weather/terrain unless you wait long enough for it to expire, in which case it's random again"?
I actually don't know maybe there would be some kind of priority biased on what spot on team the ability is coming from.

Illusion could be really interesting especially with regenetator to get Pokemon to a similar HP amount.

Another idea I had that is some what similar is a meta were some ability effects would be in play normally. Like all 60 or less bp moves are boosted, sheer force is in effect, etc but idk how to go about it.

Last edited:
Wormhole Effect
* Is the complete ban of Ultra Beasts necessary?
* Should Dugtrio be banned?
* Is Huge / Pure Power acceptable in this metagame's mechanics and should be unbanned?
* Due to the stat spread making walls harder to penetrate, is the unban on Landorus-I and Genesect applicable?
* How can I make this not too similar to the existing metagame, Godly Gifts?
1.UBS: Celesteela can remain legal. The rest will be broken most likely to a high single stat.
-100% Bans: Regice (200 sp.def and def) Regirock (Same reason) Cloyster (Shell smash high defenses)
2. No
4.Unban genesect for sure, and probably lando (145atk+145speed).
3.Mega Mawile is the only threat with huge/pure power.
5. Don't know. Seems fine as it is to me.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I thought of an interesting meta:

Insert Metagame Name Here
Metagame Premise: Pokemon are allowed to use moves learnable by the pokemon above it in alphabetical order. They also gain the first ability of that pokemon. Megas don't count.

For example:
Charizard is below Chansey. Therefore, it can use Softboiled, Egg Bomb, and Aromatherapy, and inherits Natural Cure. (It still can use Blaze or Solar Power)
Dhelmise is below Dewpider. Therefore, it can use Liquadation, Crunch, and Blizzard, and inherits Water Bubble. (It still has Steelworker)
Medicham is below Mawile-Mega. Mawile-Mega is skipped, so Medicham inherits Hyper Cutter instead of Huge Power.

Possible Banlist: Shelgon (below Shedinja), Aerodacyl (below Aegislash), Magearna (below Magcargo) maybe Shuckle (below Shroomish), maybe Mamoswine (below Malamar), idk what else

Possible Threats:

Alomomola (Alakazam): gains Recover, Trick, Taunt
Shuckle (Shroomish): gains Leech Seed, Synthesis
Crawdaunt (Cranidos): gains Head Smash, Earthquake, Superpower, Iron Head, Crunch, inherits Mold Breaker
Volcanion (Volbeat): gains Tail Glow, Tailwind, Roost, U-Turn, Thunder Wave
Serperior (Sentret): gains Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Baton Pass
Doublade (Donphan): gains Fissure, Head Smash/Stone Edge, Gunk Shot, Iron Tail, Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin, inherits Sturdy

Questions for the Community:
- How would Gastro Acid, Entrainment, and Skill Swap work?
- How would the Tapus work?
- Should Ubers pokemon be excluded?
- Should Shell Smash and Belly Drum be banned?
- What should this be named?

Last edited:

david0895

Mercy Main Btw

Metagame Premise: Pokemon are allowed to use moves learnable by the pokemon above it in alphabetical order. They also gain the first ability of that pokemon. Megas don't count.

For example:
Charizard is below Chansey. Therefore, it can use Softboiled, Egg Bomb, and Aromatherapy, and inherits Natural Cure. (It still can use Blaze or Solar Power)
Dhelmise is below Dewpider. Therefore, it can use Liquadation, Crunch, and Blizzard, and inherits Water Bubble. (It still has Steelworker)
Medicham is below Mawile-Mega. Mawile-Mega is skipped, so Medicham inherits Hyper Cutter instead of Huge Power.

Possible Banlist: Shelgon (below Shedinja), maybe Shuckle (below Shroomish), maybe Mamoswine (below Malamar), idk what else

Possible Threats:

Crawdaunt (Cranidos): gains Head Smash, Earthquake, Superpower, Iron Head, Crunch, inherits Mold Breaker
Magearna (Magcargo): gains Recover, Shell Smash, Stealth Rock, Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Lava Plume, Willl-O-Wisp
Aerodactyl (Aegislash): gains Swords Dance, King's Shield, Head Smash, Shadow Sneak, Destiny Bond
Serperior (Sentret): gains Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Baton Pass
Doublade (Donphan): gains Fissure, Head Smash/Stone Edge, Gunk Shot, Iron Tail, Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin, inherits Sturdy

Jesus christ ban magearna and mega aerodactyl

anaconja

long day at job
Yeah, Magearna and Aero need to go. Mamoswine will be dangerous, but not broken. Superpower isn't STAB.
Alright, I'll ban them.

Thought of some more:

Cosmoem(Corsola): gains Recover, Toxic, Stealth Rock, Magic Coat, Substitute
Araquanid(Anorith): gains Aqua Jet, Knock Off, Rapid Spin, Swords Dance, Rock Slide (maybe ban on this too?)
Bisharp(Binacle): gains Shell Smash, Razor Shell, Cross Chop, Earthquake, inherits Tough Claws (yeah, Shell Smash should probably be banned)
Buzzwole(Butterfree): gains Sleep Powder, U-Turn, Defog, Tailwind

For example:

Possible Banlist: Shelgon (below Shedinja), Aerodacyl (below Aegislash), Magearna (below Magcargo) maybe Shuckle (below Shroomish), maybe Mamoswine (below Malamar), idk what else

Possible Threats:

dude that was basically what mergemons used to be, other than abilities and it went both ways
you still have the MERGEMONS CREATOR SEAL OF APPROVAL™ though

LITTERAMONS:

Metagame Premise:
Every Pokémon is allowed to use any move or has access to any ability that has the name starting with the same letter as the name of the Pokémon. If is evolved, it gains access to all the moves accessible by its pre-evo (if its name starts with a different letter), but not the abilities.

For example: Fearow can get both Fairy Wind and Sacred Sword (from Spearow) as new moves, and Flash Fire as a new ability (it CAN'T get Sap Sipper from Spearow)
Obviously, the Pokémon can still use its original moves and abilities. Megas keep the new ability if they have it after megaevolving.
Z-moves are not learnable as normal, so, no Evoboost for you.
Bans and Threats: Bans: OU Banlist, Shadow Tag, Parental Bond, Huge/Pure Power, Shedinja (cuz Sturdy), Wonder Guard, Sketch, Shell Smash (cuz Simple+Stored Power), Geomancy maybe? Let's see how it evolves before banning too much.
Threads: Pokémon R, S, M gets recovery, just imagine Registeel and Rotom-W, Muk, Mawile, Manaphy, Magearna, Shuckle, Suicune. PRIMARINA GETS PIXILATE BOOMBURST. There's so much potential in this meta.

Questions for the Community: who would you ban? I've not seen anything completely broken yet, so I'm not sure, but maybe I forget something. Also, do you think that OU is ok or a Uber-based format is better?

(Sorry for my probably bad english, I'm from Italy)

Last edited:

anaconja

long day at job
dude that was basically what mergemons used to be, other than abilities and it went both ways
you still have the MERGEMONS CREATOR SEAL OF APPROVAL™ though
lol

This is a bit different because Mergemons went by pokedex number, not alphabetical order. I did see the similarity, though.

LITTERAMONS:

Metagame Premise:
Every Pokémon is allowed to use any move or has access to any ability that has the name starting with the same letter as the name of the Pokémon. If is evolved, it gains access to all the moves accessible by its pre-evo (if its name starts with a different letter), but not the abilities.

For example: Fearow can get both Fairy Wind and Sacred Sword (from Spearow) as new moves, and Flash Fire as a new ability (it CAN'T get Sap Sipper from Spearow)
Obviously, the Pokémon can still use its original moves and abilities. Megas keep the new ability if they have it after megaevolving.

Bans and Threats: Bans: OU Banlist, Shadow Tag, Parental Bond, Huge Power, Geomancy maybe? Let's see how it evolves before banning too much.
Threads: Pokémon R, S, M gets recovery, just imagine Registeel and Rotom-W, Muk, Mawile, Manaphy, Magearna, Shuckle, Suicune. PRIMARINA GETS PIXILATE BOOMBURST. There's so much potential in this meta.

Questions for the Community: who would you ban? I've not seen anything completly broken yet, so I'm not sure, but maybe I forget something. Also, do you think that OU is ok or a Uber-based format is better?

This seems to be similar to a previous OMotM called Alphabet Cup (can't find the smogon thread), with the fact that evolutions can get moves from the pre-evos.

This seems to be similar to a previous OMotM called Alphabet Cup (can't find the smogon thread), with the fact that evolutions can get moves from the pre-evos.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/alphability-oras-check-post-232.3505582/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/alphabet-cup.3498167/

As the first one mentions, there's stuff like Sturdy Shedinja or Wonder Guard Wormadam-T which is clearly worth a ban, and from the second one you really don't want S to be able to access Sketch or it would defeat the whole point of letter limitations. CFZs are moves too, and if BH is any indication you really don't want to allow those either (Extreme Evoboost Entei?)

And don't forget to bring your Unaware Umbreon to shut down all the Simple Shell Smash Swoobat/Sigilyph that are bound to be running around.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/alphability-oras-check-post-232.3505582/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/alphabet-cup.3498167/

As the first one mentions, there's stuff like Sturdy Shedinja or Wonder Guard Wormadam-T which is clearly worth a ban, and from the second one you really don't want S to be able to access Sketch or it would defeat the whole point of letter limitations. CFZs are moves too, and if BH is any indication you really don't want to allow those either (Extreme Evoboost Entei?)

And don't forget to bring your Unaware Umbreon to shut down all the Simple Shell Smash Swoobat/Sigilyph that are bound to be running around.
I'll add this to the banlist, ty. Also, Simple+Shell Smash, despite checked by Unaware, could be suspected, quite OP I think.

Unaware doesn't stop White Herb Simple Stored Power from slapping you around with a STAB base 260 power move. There's exactly one fully-evolved Dark-type whose name starts with U, and since Stored Power 2HKOs SpDef Jirachi with Spikes support, I think it's safe to ban Shell Smash.

Last edited:

For example:

Possible Threats:

Here are a few name suggestions.
Alpha Shift
Alpha Pokemon
Alphabetimons
Alphamons
Alphabetical Shift
And
Pokemongainmovesetsandailitiesbasedonthepreviouspokemoninalhabeticalorder

LITTERAMONS:

Metagame Premise:

Z-moves are not learnable as normal, so, no Evoboost for you.
Bans and Threats: Bans: OU Banlist, Shadow Tag, Parental Bond, Huge Power, Shedinja (cuz Sturdy), Wonder Guard, Sketch, Geomancy maybe? Simple+Shell Smash maybe? Let's see how it evolves before banning too much.

Questions for the Community: who would you ban? I've not seen anything completely broken yet, so I'm not sure, but maybe I forget something. Also, do you think that OU is ok or a Uber-based format is better?

You missed pure power. Pheromosa would get pure power. Along with persian and pigeot to name a few.
Salemance and suiciune along with alot of other pokemon get speed boost.
Guzzlord gets grassy surge.
Magearna and Mawile get misty surge.
Ambipom gets aerialate.
Regice gets refrigerate.

Magearna and mawile dont benefit from that, though.

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
Normal rocks (probably not the best name, so I accept new ideas)

Metagame premise: stealth rock does neutral damage to every pokemon
Potential bans and threats: rock weak pokemon will be spammed more frequently (charizard formes, beedrill, etc...)
Questions for the community: /

Potential bans and threats: rock weak pokemon will be spammed more frequently (charizard formes, beedrill, etc...)
What about spikes? (Does it damage flying and levitaters now?)

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus

Imo a previous meta, same type stealth Rock, is a more varied and interesting idea.

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
What about spikes? (Does it damage flying and levitaters now?)
No, this option could reduce the viability of some defogger, that is the opposite of the my purpose
Imo a previous meta, same type stealth Rock, is a more varied and interesting idea.
I know, but I decided to propose it, because I want to study the effect of a meta where the pokemon viability is not conditioned by its weakness to hazards

Stat Siphon

Metagame Premise:
Natures can be used to drain one stat and put it into another,with a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 250. OU based. A kartana becomes 59/181/131/10/31/158 with a jolly nature.

Potential Bans and suspects: None that I can see as of right now.

Questions for the community: EDIT: I have indeed noticed this allows for some pokemon to become complete MONSTERS with minimal drawback. So I ask: should these pokemon be banned,or the natures(mainly jolly/timid/modest/adamant) be banned?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)