Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not interested in running Dynamax centric metagames, rather metagames that get better with the dynamax mechanic. However, i will give this idea, feel free to steal it if you like it!

Mega Dynamax

Metagame premise:
Dynamax lasts forever, even after switching out, but max moves only have 5 pp.

Banlist: I dont know yet

Threats: Set up pokemon like Moxie Gyarados could be a problem. Specially if the gyarados player is second on dynamaxing, because the other player wont be able to counter with a specific dynamax answer. Pressure pokemon like zapdos can outstall any dynamax user with max guard. Zapdos should have 2 status moves (toxic, defog, roost) in order to stall out other dynamax users effectively.

The pp reduction accounts for the potential of pp stalling with max guard. With 5 pp you can now stall only 20 times.

Questions:
1) There are certain mechanics, (I dont know them specifically but the likes of fake out, roar, etc.), that doesnt work with Dynamax pokemon, mainly because it is pretty cheese to force them out and end the dynamaxing. Should those mechanics be reverted back as how they work with normal pokemon?

2) What should be considered banworthy?

Move Staling
Metagame premise: Repeated moves used by a single mon have increasing failure chances, up to 87.5%, excluding status moves (that don't already fail due to repeat use, such as Protect-like moves)
Potential bans and threats: OU banlist, Perish Song
Questions for the community: Should the queue be team wide or mon-specific? How long should the queue be? (I was considering 3-4)

Dynavolution
Concept: You know how Dynamax transforms your Pokemon for 3 turns? Okay, so let's say your Pokemon could transform mid-battle into another Pokemon, like a Digimon. How would this work? Well, using the Dynamax mechanic, it would stay transformed for 3 turns into a different Pokemon. The mechanic would involve nicknaming your Pokemon the Pokemon it wants to "Dynavolve" into. In TeamBuilder, you could give it moves of both Pokemon. However, your Pokemon can only use the moves legal to whatever Pokemon it currently is.

Example:
Barraskewda (Pelipper) @ Choice Band
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs
- Drill Run

So in battle, Pelipper could only use Liquidation. But when you "Dynavolve", you can use Barraskewda along with all of its moves. It works just like Dynamax except you transform into your nicknamed Pokemon.
Also, it doesn't seem that there's any way to get past the Ability issue.
Coincidentally, I was thinking about making an unofficial OM very similar to this, but only allowing the stat boosts from official Gigantamax formes as the basis for deltas, and not changing move legality. (I didn't see specific info on Gigatamax stats yet, and this might not work very well if HP is the only stat that changes significantly.)

Anyway, mapping abilities between two Pokemon like this can be done in an implicit, systematic way without relying on shiny state, etc. In a previous OM I made with similar in-battle forme/ability changes between two Pokemon, 'Bitch and Beggar', it works like this: the base Pokemon gets its first ability overwritten by the donor Pokemon's first ability, its second ability overwritten by the donor Pokemon's second ability, if it exists (if not, the donor's first ability is reused), and its hidden ability overwritten by the donor Pokemon's HA, if it exists (if not, the donor's first ability is again reused). The new ability is then determined by which ability slot the base Pokemon had set in teambuilder. This approach is somewhat limiting in that, for instance, if the base Pokemon lacks a HA it is never possible for it to access the donor's HA, but I feel like this creates an interesting asymmetry for building rather than necessarily being a problem.

Examples:-

bnb_examples.png

Coincidentally, I was thinking about making an unofficial OM very similar to this, but only allowing the stat boosts from official Gigantamax formes as the basis for deltas, and not changing move legality. (I didn't see specific info on Gigatamax stats yet, and this might not work very well if HP is the only stat that changes significantly.)
Unfortunately, giga Pokemon don't get different stats. It's just HP.

I noticed that with the exception of Normal, no type has more than two G max moves, so Hidden Dynamax could work in the form of Hidden Gigantimax. Sure, we still can't use Normal or Fairy G max moves, but we aren't missing out on much. Gold Rush, Cuddle, and Smite are all RNG bullsh*t, and Finale is broken as hell and would almost definitely be banned anyway. Losing Replenish is unfortunate though.

Anyway, here are the effects we have at our disposal. Shininess is determined by which move is listed second on Serebii.

Fire: Wildfire

For the next four turns, the opponent's active Pokemon is damaged for 1/6 of its max health. I'm pretty sure this doesn't affect Fire Pokemon, and might also affect your own Pokemon.

Shiny Fire: Centiferno

Traps and damages the opponent for four to five turns, like Fire Spin. Very banworthy.

Bug: Befuddle

Inflicts the opponent with paralysis, poison, or sleep. Maybe banworthy.

Electric: Volt Crash

Paralyzes the opponent.

Shiny Electric: Stun Shock

Poisons or paralyzes the opponent.

Fighting: Chi Strike

Increases your crit rate by two stages, like Focus Energy.

Ghost: Terror

Traps the opponent. Extremely banworthy.

Ice: Resonance

Sets up Aurora Veil. Probably banworthy.

Poison: Malodor

Poisons the opponent.

Water: Stonesurge

Sets up Stealth Rock.

Shiny Water: Foam Burst

Lowers the opponent's speed by two stages.

Flying: Wind Rage

Something like Defog. Not entirely sure on the mechanics.

Dragon: Depletion

Reduces the PP of the opponent's most recent move by four, like Spite.

Psychic: Gravitas

Sets up Gravity.

Rock: Volcalith

Like Wildfire, but nothing is immune to it, apparently.

Ground: Sandblast

Description is identical to Centiferno. Also very banworthy.

Dark: Snooze

Inflicts the opponent with yawn.

Grass: Tartness

Lowers the opponent's evasion by one stage.

Shiny Grass: Sweetness

Cures your status condition. May or may not also affect the rest of your party.

Steel: Steelsurge

Sets up "Stealth Steel", which is like Stealth Rock, but bases its damage on a Pokemon's matchup against Steel instead of Rock.

Shiny Steel: Meltdown

Prevents the opponent from using the same move twice in a row, like Torment.

Of course, should Game Freak add more Gigantimax forms in the future, this foundation could potentially crumble.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I noticed that with the exception of Normal, no type has more than two G max moves, so Hidden Dynamax could work in the form of Hidden Gigantimax. Sure, we still can't use Normal or Fairy G max moves, but we aren't missing out on much. Gold Rush, Cuddle, and Smite are all RNG bullsh*t, and Finale is broken as hell and would almost definitely be banned anyway. Losing Replenish is unfortunate though.

Anyway, here are the effects we have at our disposal. Shininess is determined by which move is listed second on Serebii.

Fire: Wildfire

For the next four turns, the opponent's active Pokemon is damaged for 1/6 of its max health. I'm pretty sure this doesn't affect Fire Pokemon, and might also affect your own Pokemon.

Shiny Fire: Centiferno

Traps and damages the opponent for four to five turns, like Fire Spin. Very banworthy.

Bug: Befuddle

Inflicts the opponent with paralysis, poison, or sleep. Maybe banworthy.

Electric: Volt Crash

Paralyzes the opponent.

Shiny Electric: Stun Shock

Poisons or paralyzes the opponent.

Fighting: Chi Strike

Increases your crit rate by two stages, like Focus Energy.

Ghost: Terror

Traps the opponent. Extremely banworthy.

Ice: Resonance

Sets up Aurora Veil. Probably banworthy.

Poison: Malodor

Poisons the opponent.

Water: Stonesurge

Sets up Stealth Rock.

Shiny Water: Foam Burst

Lowers the opponent's speed by two stages.

Flying: Wind Rage

Something like Defog. Not entirely sure on the mechanics.

Dragon: Depletion

Reduces the PP of the opponent's most recent move by four, like Spite.

Psychic: Gravitas

Sets up Gravity.

Rock: Volcalith

Like Wildfire, but nothing is immune to it, apparently.

Ground: Sandblast

Description is identical to Centiferno. Also very banworthy.

Dark: Snooze

Inflicts the opponent with yawn.

Grass: Tartness

Lowers the opponent's evasion by one stage.

Shiny Grass: Sweetness

Cures your status condition. May or may not also affect the rest of your party.

Steel: Steelsurge

Sets up "Stealth Steel", which is like Stealth Rock, but bases its damage on a Pokemon's matchup against Steel instead of Rock.

Shiny Steel: Meltdown

Prevents the opponent from using the same move twice in a row, like Torment.

Of course, should Game Freak add more Gigantimax forms in the future, this foundation could potentially crumble.
Why are partial trapping moves ban worthy? No trapping move has ever been shown to be problematic in the past

Anyway, mapping abilities between two Pokemon like this can be done in an implicit, systematic way without relying on shiny state, etc. In a previous OM I made with similar in-battle forme/ability changes between two Pokemon, 'Bitch and Beggar', it works like this: the base Pokemon gets its first ability overwritten by the donor Pokemon's first ability, its second ability overwritten by the donor Pokemon's second ability, if it exists (if not, the donor's first ability is reused), and its hidden ability overwritten by the donor Pokemon's HA, if it exists (if not, the donor's first ability is again reused). The new ability is then determined by which ability slot the base Pokemon had set in teambuilder. This approach is somewhat limiting in that, for instance, if the base Pokemon lacks a HA it is never possible for it to access the donor's HA, but I feel like this creates an interesting asymmetry for building rather than necessarily being a problem.

Examples:-

View attachment 207627
What if, to activate Hidden Abilities using my method, we added a plus sign to the HP stat? Yeah, and a minus sign for Ability 2 instead of shiny. Normally, that doesn't do anything. It could be coded to activate Abilities.

Last edited:
I don't have time to run all these myself

Dynamax I.D.
I'm in a draft league and we have Dynamax captains. I was thinking of how broken Dynamaxing is, and this seems to be a good solution. What this meta proposes is that only one Pokemon on your team can Dynamax, the one with the nickname "Dynamax". This would
1. Alert the opponent to which Pokemon would possibly Dynamax
and
2. Limit the availability of Pokemon to Dynamax on each team's side.

Questions:
Does this seem fun?
Does this balance Dynamax?

Last edited:
01.jpg
01.jpg
884.png884.png
THE EXTRA DEX
Metagame premise
:So basically this would be some extra types, forms, pokemon , galar/alolan forms, a moves ext. Edit: also it is gonna hold new concepts like Mega Z moves, Pokemon evolving midbattle, and more
Potential bans and threats: some Pokemon might have to be banned because of new items also some mega might not be able to us all mega z moves
Questions for the community:any ideas? Is this a good idea? What Pokemon should swap types/abilitys? Would you play this metagame/pet mod?
01.jpg
01.jpg
884.png884.png

Last edited:
What you tkink about is more a pet mod than a metagame. But,why not? I think there should be an ability which doubles special attack and a physical version of hidden power

What you think about is more a pet mod than a metagame. But,why not? I think there should be an ability which doubles special attack and a physical version of hidden power
Do you know what the difference between pet modes and metagames. Also that is a great idea for a special hidden/pure power. Maby porygon z should have it?

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
the extra dex
Metagame premise:So basically this would be some extra types, forms, pokemon , galar/alolan forms, a moves ext.
Potential bans and threats: some Pokemon might have to be banned because of new items
Questions for the community:any ideas?
Im pretty sure what you're trying to do is already done by National Dex OU, which is being run by Zarel and is hosted on PS. If you're looking to create brand new aspects of the game, not just bring in old ones, then you may have a concept worth looking at but you should probably define what you're trying to do better.
What if, to activate Hidden Abilities using my method, we added a plus sign to the HP stat? Yeah, and a minus sign for Ability 2 instead of shiny. Normally, that doesn't do anything. It could be coded to activate Abilities.
If this is codable I like it as a solution. I would be willing to give this meta a try, although if it was submitted I'd give it a hard second look as to how it would likely play out in practice.
What you tkink about is more a pet mod than a metagame. But,why not? I think there should be an ability which doubles special attack and a physical version of hidden power
Pet Mods can be submitted in the same place as OMs but it will help if you have a theme or concept for your Pet Mod. You will also need more OM posts to qualify for submitting anything however, and I would generally try to get more involved with the community before leading a thread of your own.

Im pretty sure what you're trying to do is already done by National Dex OU, which is being run by Zarel and is hosted on PS. If you're looking to create brand new aspects of the game, not just bring in old ones, then you may have a concept worth looking at but you should probably define what you're trying to do better.

If this is codable I like it as a solution. I would be willing to give this meta a try, although if it was submitted I'd give it a hard second look as to how it would likely play out in practice.
Pet Mods can be submitted in the same place as OMs but it will help if you have a theme or concept for your Pet Mod. You will also need more OM posts to qualify for submitting anything however, and I would generally try to get more involved with the community before leading a thread of your own.
thanks for the advice!! I think I should add more concept!! Many like Mega z moves or something like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)