Media Metalheads Thread III

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I feel like Gorguts is one of those bands that you either like, or you don't, with no middle ground.

more recent discoveries!

arsis - a celebration of guilt (techdeath/melodeath)
evoken - a caress of the void (doom)
atrocity - todessehnsucht (techdeath)
graveland - carpathian wolves (black)
nokturnal mortum - Голос сталi/the voice of steel (black/folk/symphonic)
arcturus - aspera hiems symfonia (black/symphonic)
vargavinter - frostfödd (melodic black)
garden of shadows - oracle moon (death/doom/melodeath)
dark lunacy - the diarist (melodeath/symphonic)

will listen to ulcerate soon!

Last edited:
you can also very easily like only some of gorguts's albums, since their style varies significantly between albums.

also tech death in general is pretty hit or miss, so.

more recent discoveries!

arsis - a celebration of guilt (techdeath/melodeath)
evoken - a caress of the void (doom)
that Arsis album is my favorite DM album by a fair margin. get A Diamond for Disease and ignore the rest of their discography.

get EVERYTHING by Evoken. one of the best funeral doom bands around, and for years.

Agonist

that Arsis album is my favorite DM album by a fair margin. get A Diamond for Disease and ignore the rest of their discography.

get EVERYTHING by Evoken. one of the best funeral doom bands around, and for years.
Anlipnes is personally one of my favorite funeral doom bands.

Agonist

Probably because they're a rather obscure band that I stumbled upon a few years back.

all this bullshit with Syria has me thinking of The End.

Saviour Machine might not be "metal" by some people's calculations, but fuck that just listen to this awesome band.

for example:

people with access to paradise should check them out.

Been really enjoying Dream Theater lately, maybe because I really like the tempo of their songs or because I can't listen to it without my parents hating me...who knows

If you like Dream Theater, try Opeth and Between the Buried and Me, they do the progressive thing DT does except with way less cheese. Start with Blackwater Park and Colors. There's a ton of great shit in the genre that's overall better than these two but they're still very solid and a good introduction of sorts.

Last edited:
Oh I'm quite familiar with Opeth and BTBAM. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy unclean vocals as much as the next guy as I myself have been learning to scream for 3 months or so, but I just tend to enjoy some of the more technical instrumental bands with clean vocals to change it up, be it power metal or progressive metal. I'll give another example:

Yes, they ARE a Christian band(for the record I am not Christian) and have some "cheese" factor, but this song still rules hard. I don't think anyone can deny that this song has excellent instrumentation.

TEA_DEMON, I'll be sure to check those out.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If you like that, I have a feeling you'll like Pathosray a lot. Not as technically intense, but a lot better.

Valtari - Fragments of a Nightmare
Fractal Gates - Beyond the Self
are both pretty cool prog melodeath.

Averse Sefira - Homecoming's March is bm and it is sooo good

will listen to Svart Crown!

Bumping with some new stuff I found

Fanisk - Insularum, really good ambient/symphonic bm.

Lord Mantis - Pervertor is pretty filthy black/sludge.

War - Total War is brutally raw bm from a few guys in other notable bands (all I remember off the top of my head is the dude from Hypocrisy).

Oh and Vermis is great.

Oathbreaker - Eros|Anteros

The primary genres on rym for this are hardcore punk and crust punk, and it certainly has a lot of -core to it, but to my ears this band plays primarily sludge on the slower songs and black metal on the faster songs (like the one linked above). Really cool band, with some awesome female vox.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)