Format Discussion Metronome Battle

FormatEloGXEGlicko-1WLTotal
User: mnomepikasup
[Gen 8] Metronome Battle128064.6%1615 ± 6418725
Reset W/L
Confirming myself as mnomepikasup
My first completed suspect test (lol ik i suk) and it was very fun. I reckon fur coat isnt the most broken thing ever but it does have its parings with weakness policy. Seeing that it is a 50/50 to hit you on the physical and special side (pretty much) and ur stats may be lowered before the weakness policy boost. With that said, It also helps counter intepreid sword mods (like the mega heracross sample) and if the pokemon is sturdy on the special side it could still stay on the field for quite some time (especially if it could dish out offense). It is kinda iffy for me but i proabbly would vote ban seeing that it could make many pokemon quite bulky for the wp boost or for generally taking less damage than what is dealt to the opponent. The fluffy weakness policy team i used for the latter part of the suspect:
https://pokepast.es/6d49d523888667d1
*side note on fluffy it is just fur coat but much worse gives you an additonal weakness to fire and doesnt work against all physical moves either absolutely not broken
Insane calcs on how bulky glastrier is on physical side with fur coat:
+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Heracross-Mega Brick Break vs. 92 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Glastrier: 260-308 (71.4 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Steelworker Dhelmise Anchor Shot vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Glastrier: 192-226 (47.5 - 55.9%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO (after weaknesss policy)
+1 252 Atk Choice Band Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Glastrier: 306-362 (75.7 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(and it is assuming that these mons get these stab strong physical moves that hits glastrier super effectively)
Insane calcs with random not bulky mons with fur coat: (this allows them to stay on the field longer and deal more damage)
252+ Atk Glastrier Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Dragapult: 158-188 (41.5 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Fur Coat Dragapult: 314-372 (82.6 - 97.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
you get the idea dragapult is in no way bulky but with the max evs in hp and def that is gurateened it could live strong choice banded (even intpreid sword boosted) super effective hits and get the weakness policy boost)

(which is similar to the double glastrier sample but fluffy and ice's multiple weaknesses allowed glastrier to get wp boosts quite easily)
Thats all for my ted talk thank you for coming and good luck to you too on getting your reqs ;)

Last edited:
Screenshot 2022-02-08 at 5.53.06 PM.png

First suspect test I participated in and completed :D
I used fur coat specs mew and ice scales band mew, still undecided whether I should vote ban. Fur coat is very good if the opponent hits u with physical moves, but they might also use special moves. Definitely a great ability tho, I got better results than my main which uses magic guard/life orb mew and specs competitive mew.
I'll probably vote unban for fluffy since it's worse than fur coat, as it only halves dmg from contact moves and makes you weak to fire.

1644333202038.png

Confirming as mnomebroth.
First time getting reqs for something. I used this team:

Pokestar UFO @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Metronome

Heracross-Mega @ Normalium Z
Ability: Intrepid Sword
Adamant Nature
- Metronome

Pokestar UFO with fur coat is pretty good. Good against Mega Heracross and Mega gallade and has an overall good typing and stats for this metagame.

Probably gonna vote unban on Fluffy but Fur Coat i'm not quite sure of yet.

Pretty fun getting reqs

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

I got it with the team I posted before, except for like 3 battles where Ursaluna had Fur Coat instead. Turns out, not as good as I thought. Wouldn't die but its damage output suffered a lot.

Despite that I think I'll vote to keep Fur Coat banned but unban Fluffy.

1644337312231.png

Decided to restart after messing around in attempt number 1, and got through it pretty easily here. As far as I've seen I'm the only one to ladder using fluffy, so I thought to share the team here quickly.
Abomasnow-Mega @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Metronome

Zoroark-Hisui @ Choice Specs
Ability: Fluffy
Relaxed Nature
- Metronome
My first thought when thinking about using Fluffy was to use Primordial Sea. This completely nullifies Fluffy's main downside, being the 2x damage taken from Fire-type attacks. When choosing a Primordial Sea user, you currently have 2 main options for users, being Glastrier and Mega-Abomasnow. I chose the latter, as it was both a Pokemon that I had yet to use, and felt more consistent, having a worse typing than Glastrier but also having more balanced stats. When choosing a Fluffy user, I had originally wanted to use a Pokemon that was already quick bulky. I quickly realized that bulk isn't the best way to go, as many of my matches when using a Dusclops here went past the 16 turn limit. So I turned to a more hyper-offensive choice in Hisuian Zoroark. With a terrific typing, and great offensive stats, the only thing holding it back was its bulk. Now you may be thinking, "Jeff, why not just use Fur Coat? Physical attacks occur more often than Contact moves anyway." To that I say that while yes, it probably is worse, I both wanted to experiment with the lesser used of the suspected abilities, and also thought that it would be more beneficial to have the bulk apply to both the physical and special side. Regardless, Zoroark-H becomes much bulkier when Fluffy is counted in. Most notably during my first attempt at reqs, it tanked a +2 Outrage from Tyranitar, and a crit Night Slash from Ursaluna.

So now let's get into my thoughts about the abilities. Right now, I am thinking UNBAN on both. I haven't had too much time to playtest, so this is still subject to change. Fluffy is a no doubter for Unban, but Fur Coat is tougher. While I can see the argument for why it should be banned, at the same time, I think the metagame has the tools to adapt to it. Some notable teams that in theory have good matchups against it are Flower Veil Venusaur, Imposter Blissey, and Plus/Minus Ampharos. Flower Veil Venusaur teams have the potential to both outbulk and outdamage opposing Fur Coat users. Imposter Blissey is a little closer, being able to certainly outbulk the opposing team, but struggles to clean up due to the 10pp limit. Plus/Minus Ampharos hits super hard on the special side, which is the main struggle for Fur Coat based teams. To help solidify my decision, I'm gonna be doing a lot of testing, specifically with mons that have high Sp Def. but low Defense, like Goodra, Cursola, and Snorlax.

HiZo

我が為に苦しめ。我が為に狂い泣け。我が為に死ね。
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
1644339246721.png

confirming as mnome Ln

All those years of bribing Zarel finally paid off. personally i don't think fur coat is that hazardous but you can definitely live hits a mon shouldn't, fluffy is definitely a lot easier to handle though.

I think fluffy definitely shouldn't be banned given the prevalence of fire type moves, and while fur coat does allow for extra durability I feel like the metronome format has enough moves to balance it out and it shouldn't be banned either.
Screenshot_2022_0209_021230.jpg

kDCA

into the endless night
is a Top Tiering Contributor
mnome reqs lmfao.PNG

This is the greatest pokemon suspect of All Time

fluffy unban fur coat idk probably unban yeah its gives quite some bulk but it can be overcome, i didnt find much problem with it there are enough tools in the builder. also when are we petitioning for this to count for tc :blobtriumph: :blobtriumph:

4C886FB1-2427-48B8-83EC-76AD6279E69F.jpeg

Fur Coat is just free money in the damage economy. Might as well unban Huge Power.

Nah, I get that those are different. Huge Power makes games shorter while Fur Coat makes them longer, so there are more opportunities for things like Simple Beam and Gastro Acid to nullify Fur Coat. However, that also means that it has a great matchup vs Imposter.

Anyway getting reqs was easy as hell, I fought one real team below 1300 and saw more FC on my own team than anyone else’s. On that note: using FC to make a bad mon like Zoroark-Hisui good (like I did) is dumb when you can use it to make a good mon better. That’s how broken abilities work.

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
2022-02-08.png

The GOAT (Heracross-Mega) (F) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Intrepid Sword
Shiny: Yes
Brave Nature
- Metronome

Ursa Mega (Ursaluna) (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Fur Coat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Metronome

BO team that breaks with Hera and endgames with Ursaluna. Ursa is min Speed so I win if someone rolls Perish Song. Both are female so the fairy genie can't imbolize me with Attract. If you get the reference, Wow react this post.

Fur Coat is pretty good but no reason to ban it. I used it during my ladder run on a WP Ursaluna and it didn't seem broken. Passive damage still sucks and all it really does is help you last longer in order to either Struggle endgame or get more chances to roll stuff. I don't think a 1.33x increase in defense compared to DShield is all that big anyway. Also this is a given but unban Fluffy, objectively inferior ability.

If you get bored use this, it's fun to see what moves you see a lot. My most seen moves were Scald and Smart Strike (4 each), and Agility, Disable, Mean Look, and Reflect Type (3 each).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)