Mewtwo (Attacking Lead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
(PDC gave me permission to take over this set)

[SET]
name: Attacking Lead
move 1: Grass Knot
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Ice Beam / Selfdestruct
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Life Orb / Lum Berry
nature: Timid / Hasty
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
- OHKOs or 2HKOs every common lead.
- Beats Lead Rayquaza (Life Orb variants) which is a common and powerful lead.
- Gives momentum to offensive teams.
- Has late game use.

Additional Comments:
- You can run Lum Berry to absorb Dark Void, but then Focus Blast is needed to OHKO Darkrai.
- Fire Blast with Life Orb 2HKOs Mew, but you can use Selfdestruct to OHKO it before it gets rocks up. Shadow Ball also works to 2HKO but it's pretty useless otherwise.

Teammates and Counters:
- Forretress supports the rest of the team by clearing the field of hazards that Deoxys-S set up.
- Mewtwo basically works on any offensive team and doesn't need much support from his teammates.
- Shaymin-S can flinch you to death, but you can OHKO it with Flamethrower or Ice Beam.
- Giratina-O can take it out with Draco Meteor + Shadow Sneak.
- Rayquaza with Focus Sash can take it out with Draco Meteor + Extreme Speed (or just Draco Meteor, really).
- Kyogre survives Grass Knot and has a good chance of OHKOing with Surf after Life Orb damage.
- Every form of Deoxys barring D can set up entry hazards.

Since Mewtwo only loses 32% to skymin, I wouldn't call it a loss. Also you neglected to mention that Mewtwo beats support Dialga, if the opponent chooses to use draco and not thunder wave on the first turn, not a common lead, but still exists, focus blast only kills about 2.5% of the time, 405 Atk vs 265 Def & 404 HP (120 Base Power): 342 - 404 (84.65% - 100.00%). That is Lo focus blast hitting standard support Dialga. Mewtwo will be crippled if the opponent chooses thunder wave and Mewtwo lacks lum, but most would choose Draco anyways.

Overall, I like this set.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Wouldn't Aura Sphere be better than Focus Blast? I'm pretty sure that as long as you use Life Orb you don't miss any noteworthy KOs (bar specialy defensive Tyranitar, who rarely leads), yet you don't have the "30% chance to do nothing" side effect of Focus Blast.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Focus Blast gets the guarenteed KO on more offensively oriented Dialga leads and has a small chance to KO the defensive ones. Focus Blast also works with either item. I'd probably give Aura Sphere a mention in Other Options on the analysis (I only recently took Aura Sphere off of this post, it was originally slashed with Focus Blast).

Yeah, I know this set has good lategame usability, but it faces serious competition from Coverage Deo-A, who limits Deo-S leads to one layer of Spikes due to Extremespeed (and some have Superpower for Blissey anyways). What else does this set do that a Coverage Deo-A can't?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What else does this set do that a Coverage Deo-A can't?
Come back again later and attack, I suppose, which Deoxys-A has trouble doing due to his you know, his gas layer defenses. I would like to Aura Sphere over Focus Blast anyway, nothing is worse than missing at the worst time (Especially when you want to come back later and revenge Darkrai or something).

I'm still a bit "not convinced" with this set, though, since 1) You don't prevent Deoxys-S from getting 2 layers, which is a major turn-off, and 2) Is this set any different to the "All Out Attacker" that is on-site?? Would it be worth it having a whole new set that looks almost the same or would it be better to just mention in the on-site AC set that it can be used in the lead position??

even if its not worth a slash Thunder may have some Value in AC over Grass knot. It does equal damage to kyogre and IB still nearly OHKO's Groudon though it doesnt. Groudon isnt THAT popular of a lead in this meta so its not a huge loss anyhow. I know personally that if i was using Kyogre as a lead i would switch upon seeing mewtwo assuming Lum. stuff that could be likely to switch into mewtwo are like Lugia, Ho-oh, scizor palkia etc who take close to nothing from grassknot. Thunder gives some issues to these likely common switchins. not only that but its 30% paralysis rate is welcomed

I think that expert belt could be worth a mention because the standard leading mewtwo is scarfed, so running expert belt could give you a bit more power than lum, but still allow you to bluff your item. If you do decide to include it, I would suggest using fire blast over flamethrower to catch scizor and forre thinking you are locked into grass knot when it is raining (presumably after killing a kyogre lead, though it could as you said be used mid game). Using expert belt will also give you a better chance of surviving a surf from lead ogre as you will not have to deal with the 10% recoil.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Due to the similarity of the lead set we had a discussion on IRC and decided that a mention in the AC of the LO set onsite about this being used as a lead will suffice.

That said, there is no more reason for this thread to be up, so I'm locking/moving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)