Pokémon Mimikyu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used Mimikyu a bit and I think this set would work pretty well.

Mimikyu @ Lum Berry / Weakness Policy / Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Leech Life

Jolly nature to maximize speed. Swords Dance to increase attack drastically, Shadow Claw for STAB and power, Play Rough for STAB and power and Leech Life for some additional coverage and recovery. The reason I recommend Shadow Claw over Shadow Sneak is because while priority is useful at times, power may be even more useful. Fairy and Bug is not an impressive combination as far as type coverage goes, and there are 139 Pokemon who resist this combo including Toxapex, Aegislash, Gengar, Skarmory, Heatran and plenty others. Shadow Claw has nearly double the power of Sneak and thus gives you enough power to leave a dent on these mons. As for the item Lum Berry can protect Mimikyu from WoW, and other status moves that nearly render it useless. Weakness Policy works pretty well with Disguise so it's an obvious option as well, and finally we have LO which provides power and isn't dependent on the opponent's move options.
Alola Kaoru_Amane

Tip: Did you know that the Weakness Policy doesn't activate when Disguise is up? In order to activate it Mimikyu needs to actually take a super effective hit...which it can't due to its average defences. I recently read that up on bulbapedia just yesterday ;-;

Last edited:
Weakness Policy will not activate if disguise is still intact, also i don't think leech life is a good idea, the recovery seems all fine and dandy until you realize that bug is a horrible offensive type especially when mimikyu doesn't get stab from it, and also you have to forfeit priority in shadow sneak, coverage in wood hammer (or bloom doom if you will), or utility moves, it just not worth it
Darn I never realized WP didn't work with disguise. Also good point on Leech Life, it could be scrapped all together because it provides such insufficient coverage. Maybe Shadow Sneak or Wood Hammer over Leech Life because Leech Life definitely has really bad coverage. Other options seem to be WoW, Destiny Bond, Taunt, etc.

Alola Kaoru_Amane

Tip: Did you know that the Weakness Policy doesn't activate when Disguise is up? So, to activate the Weakness Policy Mimikyu needs to take a super effective hit...which it can't due to its decent defences. I read that up on bulbapedia just yesterday ;-;
Yeah I didn't realize that it's a shame.

Alola! I've started messing around with my Mimikyu and I've got the following moveset:

Mimikyu
Bashful (All I have right now. Looking for an Adamant one)
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Def
-Swords Dance
-Play Rough
-Shadow Claw
-Leech Life

Disguise + SD is incredibly useful, especially if Mimikyu outspeeds. It gets its +2 attack and then you can go and pummel something senseless. The issue I've had is it gets walled really hard by something like Steelix or Avalugg.

My question is, should I run LO or a different item?

Alola Jaroda,

You make a very good point in increasing its speed, that said, it speed may go down in lesser tiers (because I doubt it's going to do well in OU lol). But you're right, for now running 252 EVs in speed seems to be the better option mhm ^^

As for switching replacing utility for more power, I'm not so sure on that. The thing is Mimikyu is a very weak Pokemon even with a SD boost. So I figured that adding utility in Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, or Destiny Bond would at least give the opponent something to worry about. Plus, Mimikyu is a ghost-type Pokemon after all, and all ghosts should be scary ^^

Best reasoning of the year award? Face palm? ...nvm.
;-;

P.S. I've edited the speed. Thanks a tonne Jaroda ^^
Your hypothesis is sound AF. If you check the set lists posted, I have WoW on a set, but on one that emphasizes bulk. I have no problem with the move, but on the specific set you posted, if we run calcs to test your claim if it helps against those checks you listed, it turned out not to be the case when running Shadow Claw instead. Nothing is wrong with those moves, but on that set, I think it's counter-intuitive. Mimikyu is indeed fairly weak, so only running priority for one of its STABs isn't the wisest choice to me. And Mimikyu, unlike many pokemon, as a far easier time setting up to +4, increasing the value of strong STABs all the more. Destiny Bond would in fact be a great 4th move if you ask me.

I'm no final authority on this btw lol. Thanks for contributing and and sharing your thoughts. ^_^

I still like my moveset I made. Irrelevant, but I think it could do well. Plus, I have some ideas for other Gen 7 Pokémon, especially Oranguru

Your hypothesis is sound AF. If you check the set lists posted, I have WoW on a set, but on one that emphasizes bulk. I have no problem with the move, but on the specific set you posted, if we run calcs to test your claim if it helps against those checks you listed, it turned out not to be the case when running Shadow Claw instead. Nothing is wrong with those moves, but on that set, I think it's counter-intuitive. Mimikyu is indeed fairly weak, so only running priority for one of its STABs isn't the wisest choice to me. And Mimikyu, unlike many pokemon, as a far easier time setting up to +4, increasing the value of strong STABs all the more. Destiny Bond would in fact be a great 4th move if you ask me.

I'm no final authority on this btw lol. Thanks for contributing and and sharing your thoughts. ^_^
Alola Jaroda,

Thank you for the feedback on my set, I've edited the choices listed so that it shows more variety.

P.S. You're completely right and I couldn't agree more. After careful consideration, I've realised that Mimikyu would be a fast mon in lower tiers, so it would benefit more from Shadow Claw instead. On faster tiers like OU, Mimikyu may prefer Shadow Sneak, thus enabling it to revenge kill by catching the foe off guard. What do you think? ^^

Last edited:
Mimikyu Red Card
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Nature Careful
- Bulk Up
- Leech Life
- Shadow Sneak/Will-o-Wisp
- Play Rough

My personal favorite mimikyu set up, used as a wall to block set ups. P much guaranteed to stop any set up dead in its tracks and give me a free set up for a defensive sweep.

Mimikyu Focus sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature Jolly
- Taunt
- Will-o-Wisp
- Trick Room/Infestation
- Play Rough

Lead set I haven't really tested yet, but love the concept of. For a trick room team it goes in, sets up, and gets out. For the alternate choice, the objective is to throw out infestation, taunt, wisp, then switch to your sweeper. They can't switch out or lay down status / entry hazards aside from what they used on the first turn, giving you a chance to do whatever you like.

I've gone back to my old Trick Room ways, and a Mimikyu set I think really works is:

Mimikyu @ Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Claw
- Destiny Bond

With Mental Herb and Disguise, barring an insane boosted Mold Breaker or multiple-hitting move hit, you are guaranteed to set Trick Room at least once - nothing else in the entire game can do the same thing and that value should not be underestimated. WoW gives you a free burn due to Disguise, sometimes the better route to go followed by Trick Room to hinder the enemy. Shadow Claw is the obligatory STAB, and can be used to revenge weakened threats due to Disguise (I find it preferable to Shadow Sneak because of Lele). Destiny Bond can be used as a trivial means of getting a free switch into a sweeper, but it also means you can counter any fast boosted sweeper in the game with Trick Room - TR for free turn 1, D-Bond turn 2 when you now outspeed. Opponents do get greedy when they see their crazy boosts, so you'd be surprised how effective this is.

Of all the gimmicks Mimikyu can run, I think this is one of the more consistent and powerful. Disguise boosting sets are fine, but the power certainly is lacking for a sweeper - this set provides a very viable niche out of those sweeper sets. From what I've found as well, the meta is entirely un-equipped to tackle Trick Room currently, this set gives you an extremely easy way to set Trick Room that the opponent can't do anything to stop.

I've gone back to my old Trick Room ways, and a Mimikyu set I think really works is:

Mimikyu @ Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Claw
- Destiny Bond

With Mental Herb and Disguise, barring an insane boosted Mold Breaker or multiple-hitting move hit, you are guaranteed to set Trick Room at least once - nothing else in the entire game can do the same thing and that value should not be underestimated. WoW gives you a free burn due to Disguise, sometimes the better route to go followed by Trick Room to hinder the enemy. Shadow Claw is the obligatory STAB, and can be used to revenge weakened threats due to Disguise (I find it preferable to Shadow Sneak because of Lele). Destiny Bond can be used as a trivial means of getting a free switch into a sweeper, but it also means you can counter any fast boosted sweeper in the game with Trick Room - TR for free turn 1, D-Bond turn 2 when you now outspeed. Opponents do get greedy when they see their crazy boosts, so you'd be surprised how effective this is.

Of all the gimmicks Mimikyu can run, I think this is one of the more consistent and powerful. Disguise boosting sets are fine, but the power certainly is lacking for a sweeper - this set provides a very viable niche out of those sweeper sets. From what I've found as well, the meta is entirely un-equipped to tackle Trick Room currently, this set gives you an extremely easy way to set Trick Room that the opponent can't do anything to stop.

I'm currently tryin' to breed a Mimikyu just like this one, but I'm having problems with the 0 IV in speed.
I have a perfect one but with 10-15 IV in speed and I honestly don't know if it's any good or not. :V

Should I continue searching for the 0 IV?

As I mentioned, the guaranteed set up easily outweighs any concerns about speed, particularly as it is just a utility set so you don't necessarily need to follow it up with a strong attack. The tier at least currently is very fast, so I've not had any issues with Mimikyu being too fast. Strategically as well it's a great help, as when you're trying to think of how best to take down the opponent's team you know so long as Mimikyu is alive another Trick Room is assured - allowing you to think some moves ahead and structure how you go about with your offensive.

I think the main disadvantage of the set is that Mimikyu has no means of pivoting - if it had Memento the set would be truly awesome, currently it's just quite good. I've toyed with the idea of Curse to suicide Mimikyu (if below 50%) and force the opponent to switch, maybe I'll give it a shot and see how it fares. Destiny Bond can be a little tricky too, I've had a few times where Mimikyu has been left at 1% when it Destiny Bonded, revealing my shenanigans.

Here's some replays for the set (all with me around 1500):

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-495389661 - Mimikyu cleaning up at the end of a game (I'm running 252+ Atk compared to what I suggested above, but the rest is the same).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-495392371 - Mimikyu getting a guaranteed set at the end of a match and assuring victory

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-495384897 - Mimikyu and Azumarill alone pulling victory back against 4 other rain team mons (excuse my slight salt, I had an irritating morning on the ladder)

My team still needs a little work, but Mimikyu is extremely solid on it.

Last edited:
Okay, this is my first time posting on this forum, but I believe I've discovered an ingenious set that I would like to share.

Curse Trapper

Mimikyu @ Eject Button
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature Jolly
- Curse
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Shadow Claw/Shadow Sneak/Play Rough

+ Arena Trap Dugtrio w/ Protect, Substitute, Earthquake and Z-Memento

The idea is to use Curse on an opponent you want eliminated and that you can correctly predict to attack you. The opponent must not be immune to arena trap so that Dugtrio can guarantee the kill after Protect > Sub > Protect. If done correctly, you can execute this tactic a second time with Dugtrio STILL living after the second curse trap KO. Afterwards, Dugtrio can use Z-Memento accordingly.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I've been having success with this tactic since last night and want to post it before anyone else claims the idea xD I've been using it on Showdown under the name "MissRubySchnee" if that could help my claim. Anyways, feedback? :D The idea can be run with other trappers as well, though Magnezone can remove his prey on his own without help.

I think the trapping system is a little over engineered. Good prediction with Dugtrio should be enough, or pairing Dugtrio to something like Golisopod.

Curse however, is very useful. I've now changed my Trick Room set to incorporate it:

Mimikyu @ Life Orb / Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Claw
- Curse
- Destiny Bond

I was finding WoW to be too unreliable, and it wasn't really adding to the set - even if you do burn something if they're boosted you still have to manually switch something in which can be painful. Curse can often give you a free suicide switch, as between SR damage and a hit on the turn following Trick Room you should be less than 50% health. This allows you to bring something strong in for free, and encourages the opponent to switch if they want to stay alive. Curse also give you a blanket one time check to things like SubCoil Zygarde and SubPunch Buzzwole, which TR teams can struggle with as you're not fast enough to successfully run Taunt on anything and it can be hard to fit a sound-based move mon or multi-hitting move mon on the team.

Even if you weren't running Curse on a Trick Room set, it's handy to get an opponents health down by 25% or more with there being nothing they can do about it. It can be enough to weaken a key mon and allow something to sweep. People should try it out.

Hmm, I'd disagree a bit. Curse Trapping has advantages still. Instead of forcing switches, you can get guaranteed KOs. It's also more reliable as it's a lower risk prediction required.

Curse Trap Mimikyu can allow Dugtrio to remove threats he couldn't safely do before more than once.

Dugtrio w/ Focus Sash vs Tapu Lele would result in Dugtrio burning his Sash (if there are no hazards on your side) to win.
However, Dugtrio can have 76% HP remaining on the turn Curse finishes Tapu Lele and he can then proceed to Curse Trap someone else AND even further, EQ / Z-Memento the next foe accordingly. You can still pick off threats like Magnezone & Heatran after pulling off two Curse Traps.

It also enables Dugtrio to beat Grass types that were problematic for him and your team.

See, I'm split on the Curse Trapping opinion between Jojo and Rinku. On one hand, purposely bringing one Pokemon down to 50% just to (maybe) take down something with Dugtrio is risky as hell, and if they don't attack you then eject button is wasted. However, if any Pokemon were to do it, it would be Mimikyu because it can take a free hit.

See, I'm split on the Curse Trapping opinion between Jojo and Rinku. On one hand, purposely bringing one Pokemon down to 50% just to (maybe) take down something with Dugtrio is risky as hell, and if they don't attack you then eject button is wasted. However, if any Pokemon were to do it, it would be Mimikyu because it can take a free hit.
About the "maybe take down something with Dugtrio".

The maybe can be upgraded to highly likely / certainly if the opponent does not possess the following from my experience & understanding *so far*:
- Immunity to trapping (including ghosts, flying, levitate)
- Access to a 50%+ healing move (You still have a chance to win since you'd end up behind a safe sub and can launch EQs unless they're resisted)
- Access to Taunt to block your Sub (Didn't encounter it yet, but theoretically it should cause problems)
- Access to a strong sapping move (I took down a Horn Leech Tapu Bulu already, but it wasn't banded I suppose. Giga Drain Serperior didn't win either, though he was already weakened.)

EDIT:

As for the risks in setting up. If they don't activate your Eject Button, the Curse on it's own can force out the threat you wanted removed anyways. You can proceed to Taunt or attack accordingly. If they stay in, they either force you to trap them or force their health to go down. If they switch out, you can Destiny Bond the taunted or Curse again and then force in your trapper.

I like that it has openings because otherwise if it was a 100% kill strat, it might be banned?

Last edited:
You're dedicating a third of your team to trapping just one mon, it's not a good strategy because as I said it requires too much investment from the team and you're going to have very specific synergistic requirements to make both of them work. With my Trick Room set, Mimikyu is fully functional standalone as it almost always sets Trick Room and then can D-Bond problem sets if I anticipate they're not the kind of person to see it coming (much like trapping), or I can Curse to majorly hamper them (and mess with subs, get free switches, all of that stuff), or I can potentially clean up end game with Shadow Claw (it has happened, surprisingly). As a single entity, it gets results without support.

My team hit top 150 ladder tonight with these strats, and I'll try and ladder it further tomorrow (or you know, drastically plummet as usually happens when you want to ladder higher). Either way, I'll do a RMT in due course because 150 and 1600+ is good enough for me for early gen laddering - particularly with Trick Room. The point is, crazy gimmicks do not take the ladder by storm - you need solid ideas that can work without a massive network of support. One mon to get another to work properly (as is the case with that Mimikyu set) is already too much for it to be viable IMO. If you're using the set for fun, then have fun with it, but don't expect to ladder high.

I'm not entirely convinced.

@ Needing two pokes for the strategy / Lack of independence - They can function by themselves as well. Dugtrio can still trap and EQ foes or Z-Memento (or whatever other move someone else finds better for the 4th move). And my Mimikyu is not that different than yours; Both only use one attacking move and can clean up similarly.

@ Using up a third of my team - I am sure one can make a good team that includes Mimikyu & Dugtrio that lacks the sets I'm using. So why can't I pull off such a team as well with my sets, which just help support each other?

We both can use Curse & D-Bond similarly (Just my set has added more certainty to Curse).

When compared to the standard, sure I can see the faults, but compared to yours, they have similar weaknesses. I would admit I'm probably not as experienced as you, but that's how am seeing it atm.

Edit: It also helps you safely bring Dugtrio in. Say you have X mon in vs Heatran. It's hard to directly switch into Dugtrio - a common scenario. With this set you can switch into Mimi and Eject into Dugtrio safely.

Edit 2: Or actually... after further playing, you can ignore the Curse Trap. Eject Button in itself is amazing with the right support. You can get Magnezone/Dugtrio in safely by switching into Mimikyu. Team mates like Tapu Lele can benefit like this with Celesteela being easily removed this way.

It's another great momentum/pivot option similar to Pyukumuku's slow Baton Pass.

Last edited:
I also run Trick Room Mimikyu, but I don't see the utility of adding Curse: in my experience you can usually get more done with a STAB move.

Mimikyu @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp.Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Destiny Bond

I use this either as a suicide lead or keep it in reserve if there's a scary dragon. As a lead with the purpose of setting up Trick Room, Mimikyu is unique in that it can afford to be aggressive turn 1 to any other lead that it might encounter, chunking HP with it's STABs and respectable attack. A lot of people anticipate Swords Dance when they see Mimikyu and often counterplay against that. When your disguise is broken it is then time to Trick Room/Destiny Bond and hopefully bring in something for free to take advantage like Marowak. The best thing about this set is reliability, an almost guaranteed 3 turns is fantastic. There's also a fantastic little quirk with Destiny Bond whereby if you screw up the prediction and they don't hit you, you can prolong its effect the next turn by using Trick Room and guaranteeing you go last, which can catch people by surprise.

I also run Trick Room Mimikyu, but I don't see the utility of adding Curse: in my experience you can usually get more done with a STAB move.

Mimikyu @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp.Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Destiny Bond

I use this either as a suicide lead or keep it in reserve if there's a scary dragon. As a lead with the purpose of setting up Trick Room, Mimikyu is unique in that it can afford to be aggressive turn 1 to any other lead that it might encounter, chunking HP with it's STABs and respectable attack. A lot of people anticipate Swords Dance when they see Mimikyu and often counterplay against that. When your disguise is broken it is then time to Trick Room/Destiny Bond and hopefully bring in something for free to take advantage like Marowak. The best thing about this set is reliability, an almost guaranteed 3 turns is fantastic. There's also a fantastic little quirk with Destiny Bond whereby if you screw up the prediction and they don't hit you, you can prolong its effect the next turn by using Trick Room and guaranteeing you go last, which can catch people by surprise.
A good catch on using Trick Room to ensure a hit, never thought about that. Two STABs I'm sure would work well, but Focus Sash seems a little pointless, particularly with Disguise and Destiny Bond.

There's also a fantastic little quirk with Destiny Bond whereby if you screw up the prediction and they don't hit you, you can prolong its effect the next turn by using Trick Room and guaranteeing you go last, which can catch people by surprise.
Cool trick!
I really want to use it, but I often seem to die from a priority move after setting up trick room and having 1hp left with focus sash. Are there any good options to get around priority moves?
Tapu Lele's psychic surge could work, but requires even more setup.

Last edited:
I think the trapping system is a little over engineered. Good prediction with Dugtrio should be enough, or pairing Dugtrio to something like Golisopod.

Curse however, is very useful. I've now changed my Trick Room set to incorporate it:

Mimikyu @ Life Orb / Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Claw
- Curse
- Destiny Bond

I was finding WoW to be too unreliable, and it wasn't really adding to the set - even if you do burn something if they're boosted you still have to manually switch something in which can be painful. Curse can often give you a free suicide switch, as between SR damage and a hit on the turn following Trick Room you should be less than 50% health. This allows you to bring something strong in for free, and encourages the opponent to switch if they want to stay alive. Curse also give you a blanket one time check to things like SubCoil Zygarde and SubPunch Buzzwole, which TR teams can struggle with as you're not fast enough to successfully run Taunt on anything and it can be hard to fit a sound-based move mon or multi-hitting move mon on the team.

Even if you weren't running Curse on a Trick Room set, it's handy to get an opponents health down by 25% or more with there being nothing they can do about it. It can be enough to weaken a key mon and allow something to sweep. People should try it out.
Something I neglected to comment on before, but if Shadow Claw is your only attack move and Curse is HP dependent why not Spooky Plate? Or do you like LO recoil to use for momentum purposes if you kill yourself?

Something I neglected to comment on before, but if Shadow Claw is your only attack move and Curse is HP dependent why not Spooky Plate? Or do you like LO recoil to use for momentum purposes if you kill yourself?
Yes, the latter. I find it's much easier to suicide out if you have a little recoil, and LO helps with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)