Media Minecraft Discussion Thread

Wait, why are we starting off with Beacon towers and Nether Wart farms and all that? It takes away from the whole vanilla feel and feels like cheating. I'm not sure how much of the last smogcraft was magic'ed (circle stone brick for example) but this feels like going too far. How about instead there be space reserved for those farms and traps and instead once someone actually makes a trip to the nether and then kills a wither we can have a nether wart farm and a beacon?
Though i do not speak in an official capacity, I'm sure there are several reasons:

• We've demonstrated pretty clearly "organic" spawns result in a clusterfuck or random buildings haphazardly strewn about
  • Conversely, pre-planned but ground-up spawns (see the short-lived smogcraft 2.0) can be more successful, but ultimately seem to fail because, being built with fairly limited resources, are constrained and lacking in room for expansions. It's easy to say "reserve some space," but ime it's impractical. Furthermore, I suspect there'd be complaint about the ugly empty buildings all over the place.
  • Not pre-building all of these things would basically defeat the purpose of, uh, well, pre-building them? It's one thing to tell people "do this this way, because this is how the majority wants it, and it's what we've decided," and another for them to actually implement those designs successfully.
Furthermore, we are discussing Minecraft here, right? You know, Minecraft, the sandbox game that allows for virtually infinite worlds to be generated? The one where, if you don't like the spawn setup, you can just like, take a walk and start with no fucking resources because that's how you feel like playing the game?

If you don't like the way some people are playing the game, just play it your own way? You're being invited to do it with that same group of people you know and like, even. But if you're really so opposed to how the game is being played, you can feel free to make a SSP world or find another server.

also who is this layell character posting things i want to post before i post them

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Furthermore, we are discussing Minecraft here, right? You know, Minecraft, the sandbox game that allows for virtually infinite worlds to be generated? The one where, if you don't like the spawn setup, you can just like, take a walk and start with no fucking resources because that's how you feel like playing the game?
Since I am speaking officially, this. We (the admins) think that spawn should look nice (as you can see in my photos). We're making all the farms and amenities ahead of time so that spawn looks coherent and consistent in design and scale. If you guys don't like that, well, nothing is stopping you from leaving spawn forever (which, coincidentally, most people do). Spawn is meant to be a meeting place, and a convenient point with convenient features. It's not meant to be the be-all end-all of Smogcraft.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader

Hi map limit :/

HolyChipmunk

California's finest chodesmuggler
1000 blocks in any direction (even 512) is more than substantial to remove yourself from spawn's sphere of influence: on the current server, my house was built about 200 blocks away and civilization only began creeping up on it in the past few months.
2.0 neighbors never4get

Wait, why are we starting off with Beacon towers and Nether Wart farms and all that? It takes away from the whole vanilla feel and feels like cheating. I'm not sure how much of the last smogcraft was magic'ed (circle stone brick for example) but this feels like going too far. How about instead there be space reserved for those farms and traps and instead once someone actually makes a trip to the nether and then kills a wither we can have a nether wart farm and a beacon?
So uh, tennis was misinformed.

We are building spawn on a private server solely for it to be a blueprint. When we open the server publicly, the only thing built on it will be basically an outline that lets people know not to build there.

The spawn that is being planned out will be rebuilt completely non /given supplies (please help by donating the supplies we need). Smogcraft has always been pretty vanilla and it'll prolly stay like that a while.

Posting to confirm what Xaqwais has already said. Keep in mind that the way this spawn goes will be an influence for spawns in the very distant future(I'd like to make this map last).

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Glad to hear it. I thought the way 2.0 spawn was handled was a lot of fun. Having it planned out and then everybody gathering resources together while the admins and trusted members raised it from the ground meant that I spent a lot of time co-operating with and talking to users who I wouldn't normally speak to. It helped the server feel more like a community than just a server where a lot of different people from Smogon all played. I guess I missed that on the last server and that's why I didn't play as much.
If spawn was just there and we were told to go do whatever I'd feel kind of lost. It's nice to feel involved with spawn if it's going to be a place where people spend a lot of time.

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
now guys, i've got a concept down for one of spawn's shops, but i need some input here. i just want to make sure i maximize the true potential of <tennisace> more dicks

melon men be FABULOUS

tennis killed it ;-;

Thanks for that Xaqwais, that is pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. While I still probably won't be back on to Minecraft until the holidays, I'm really looking forward to playing on smogcraft again :)

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus
now guys, i've got a concept down for one of spawn's shops, but i need some input here. i just want to make sure i maximize the true potential of <tennisace> more dicks
i find the self-denial of its geographic station
in juxtaposition to the deified oneiric phallus
(in a self-aware context of cloying botanical irony)
alludes to the opposition of accessibility
within the inter-personal vividness of dream,
while hearkening to a post-modern freudian platitude.
a very poignant art installation, young gk.
my only critique would be that there simply are not enough dicks,
but i look forward to seeing more work from you in the future.

Not impressed with the redstone update thus far. I expected cool stuff, like coloured lighting and... well not much. If they wanna do a redstone update, make sure that redstone can now go on walls.

Not impressed with the redstone update thus far. I expected cool stuff, like coloured lighting and... well not much. If they wanna do a redstone update, make sure that redstone can now go on walls.
Coloured lighting, yes please. I doesn't even need to be fancy, I'd be satisfied with red green blue yellow orange purple or something.
Or they could just implement the unbelievable shaders mod.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

The basic idea here is that at every click a piston will be pushing. It won't matter much unless you have efficency 4 diamond picks but it's still fun to have these sort of crazy things. My normal stone gens used 2 lava and water connectors, this one has 6. I think I could add another 4, with 2 more on the top and bottom each, but that would make this thing much longer than it already is and likely incredibly unnecessary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)