MLB 2018 Thread

Sorry mate, the peripherals don't

(Tbf by that same argument Verlander's teammate, Gerrit Cole, is the best, but Scherzer's actual stats + peripherals are insane)

https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-stranded-dulles-airport-1.18591599

The New York Yankees baseball club spent last night sleeping in the fucking airport. The New York Yankees are worth $3.7 Billion as an organization.
If you remember, earlier in the year it came out that Stanton was living in an apartment without furniture. I wrote like a 300,000 word dissertation on how absurd this was.

I'm not sure if this story is better or worse that the other one. This one right here is something straight out of a George Castanza play. How can every hotel in D.C. be booked to capacity? You have to think there is some place that has got rooms available. Only explanation is that the travel planner for the Yankees was taking a nap under their desk instead of doing their job.

George Steinbrenner must be ROLLING in his grave. Billy Martin was fired for less than this. I wonder if they even got food or if Judge and Chapman had to push carts around to get enough money for a sandwich.

What a fucking joke of an organization.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
https://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-stranded-dulles-airport-1.18591599

The New York Yankees baseball club spent last night sleeping in the fucking airport. The New York Yankees are worth $3.7 Billion as an organization.
If you remember, earlier in the year it came out that Stanton was living in an apartment without furniture. I wrote like a 300,000 word dissertation on how absurd this was.

I'm not sure if this story is better or worse that the other one. This one right here is something straight out of a George Castanza play. How can every hotel in D.C. be booked to capacity? You have to think there is some place that has got rooms available. Only explanation is that the travel planner for the Yankees was taking a nap under their desk instead of doing their job.

George Steinbrenner must be ROLLING in his grave. Billy Martin was fired for less than this. I wonder if they even got food or if Judge and Chapman had to push carts around to get enough money for a sandwich.

What a fucking joke of an organization.
Imagine how much further ahead they would be of you in the divisional race if they were organised?

The MLB All Star Game rosters are going to be released tonight. Figure I would go ahead and fill out who I think is most deserving of a nod since the rosters typically leave off players that I would think would be automatic.

AMERICAN LEAGUE STARTERS

C Wilson Ramos - American League catchers are so weak this year, it is almost a good idea to give spots for catchers to a pitch back or to a mailbox. Ramos is having a pretty solid season for the Rays and is above and beyond having the best statistical season of any AL catcher. Easy vote.

1B Yuli Gurriel - I remember a time in baseball which First Baseman ruled the land. Almost everyone who played the position has 30+ HR power and you were almost shit out of luck if you were trying to make the All Star team and you werent an established megastar. What happened to those days where Yuli Gurriel has by far the best offensive numbers in the American League?

2B Jose Altuve - McShorty isnt putting up the power or speed numbers he is capable of, but he is still 2nd in batting average behind Mookie and is an elite defender. If he isn't your starter, you arent watching enough baseball.

SS Manny Machado - I have rostered 4 SS for the AL, and all of them have an argument that they can be the starter. He pretty much has the same slash line as Lindor, so it's really just a judgement call on my part. But as the only Orioles representative and being the big time get for the trade deadline, made as much sense as anyone to start.

3B Jose Ramirez - Living in Cleveland, I don't think that Ramirez gets enough respect for being as good as he is. He is constantly overshadowed by Kluber and Lindor as the face of the team, yet outside of maybe Arrenado he is the best 3rd Baseman in the majors right now.

LF Aaron Judge - Judge has seemed to find some consistency in his game this year after doing a Wile E Cyote off of the cliff in the second half of last year. Despite my deep hatred for the Yankees, Judge is still one of the best power hitters in baseball and despite not getting off to as hot of a start in his

CF Mike Trout - He's okay I guess, and the Angels needed a representative. So I guess I'll make room for this 12 piece chicken mcnobody.

RF Mookie Betts - As a Red Sox fan, it really bums me out that Mookie got hurt when he did earlier in the season. Without that setback happening when he was hitting home runs at an otherworldly pace and not finding his power groove since, we could be talking about him having a potentially historic season. He is right with Trout in many categories and would be my MVP choice should the season end today. Despite all my Boston bias, Mookie is still one of the best baseball players on the planet and an amazing two sport athlete.

DH JD Martinez - The Jumbo Dong is a really good hitter. You wouldnt know that from the offseason in which 28 teams didnt have any interest in signing him until late February. Morons.

SP Luis Severino - Maybe the starting nod should go to Verlander. It probably will go to Verlander, considering his manager will be the one deciding it. They have practically the same numbers as each other this season and Verlander has a bit of an edge. Still, my gut says that Severino is the best pitcher in the AL and while it really isnt fair to judge a pitcher by their offense and their bullpen, the Yankees are 17-2 in the games that Severino starts.

AMERICAN LEAGUE BENCH
C Evan Gattis
- It was either the mailbox or Evan Gattis. I went with Evan Gattis. Defense and game calling doesnt mean shit in an exhibition, and maybe he will hit a blast. Or spit all over the place. Or something. Hopefully.

1B Jose Abreau - This spot should be Mitch Morelands, but the White Sox need a representative and this was the only move that I could make. Abreau has had a fairly average year. He is hitting .259 and 12 HR compared to Moreland's .289 and 11 HR. It blows that I have to include him, but I couldn't muster taking a pitching spot away for Reynaldo Lopez.

2B Gleyber Torres - He's young but I think he has proven himself enough to get the nod over someone like Jed Lowrie. The power he has displayed has been unreal and he has to be the front runner for ROY. Despite him playing less games, he is still hitting better than the rest of AL 2nd Baseman.

SS Francisco Lindor - I'm still impressed every time I look at his power numbers, as I remember a time when he had really similar career projections to Xander. Out of the Lindor/Bogaerts/Correa/Seager group of young shortstops, he by far feels like the one who is going to have the most impressive career after everything is all said and done.

SS Jean Seagura - He has cooled off since his really hot start, but at one point in the season he was the ALs hottest hitter and is maybe one of the best players that no one ever talks about. Is it west coast bias? Are Mariners fans too busy jerking off Ichiro to boost up Seguras reputation around the league? And how sneaky stupid is the Arizona Diamondbacks front office? I feel like they havent made a decent trade in a decade.

SS Andrelton Simmons - His defense alone always kind of made Simmons a household name, but he has finally been putting up some impressive offensive numbers as well. It also blows my mind how he ended up getting 8th in the MVP votes last year. If he continues this offensive pace, maybe he is the AL MVP...?

3B Alex Bregman - With Correa being unhealthy and with Springer having a fairly off season, Alex Bregman has kind of needed to step up and he has. He is hitting for the same average as last year at .284, but his on base percentage is up 33 points and his slugging is 48 points higher.

OF Michael Brantley - Brantley is healthy. It is amazing that he is healthy considering all the shit he has gone through the past few seasons, and it is even more amazing that he is still one of the best contact hitters in the game. While the power is better than it was last year, it still isnt great. But with the defense that Brantley plays and with him hitting .310, it would be a shame to leave him off of the roster.

OF Andrew Benintendi - Benny is buried often by what JD and Mookie do on a nightly basis, and I think that takes away from how good of a season he is having. Benny is hitting .286 with 14 bombs and 16 steals, and has been quietly one of baseballs most consistent 5 tool players following a very slow April. While I wont be sad if MLB leaves him off the real All Star Team, I personally think he is quite deserving.

OF Eddie Rosario - The sole Twins representative who is having a hell of a season and the only real true bright spot on a disappointing Twins team who had big hopes after making the playoffs last year seemingly ahead of schedule. I considered Berrios for the Twins spot, but there were pitchers I felt were more deserving and there really isnt all that many outfielders having a better total year than Rosario.

OF Nick Castellanos - Detroit representative who is actually making it on his own merits instead of just lucking out of being the best player on a bad team. I havent watched all that many Tigers games, but when I have it seems that Castellanos seems to hit the ball 150 MPH at a 10 degree launch angle every single time. Him hitting .301 with 15 HR is enough to justify a spot on this team.

OF Shin-Soo Choo - He shouldn't still be playing this good, should he? If you told me prior to this year that he retired 2 years ago, I would have believed you. Choo has been one of the biggest brightspots in a really mediocre Rangers ball club hitting hear .300 with 17 HR.

2B/OF Whit Merrifield - The KC representative, Merrifield has had a pretty remarkable year for one of worst teams in the majors. While he doesnt have the power numbers that I'd like, his speed and his OBP are enough to put him on the bubble of making the team. And considering that Herrera is ineligible gives him the spot.

SP Justin Verlander - The dude is allowed to touch Kate Upton's boobies. If that's not All Star Worthy, I don't really know what is. He also is a decent pitcher.

SP Blake Snell - Blake Snell leads the AL in ERA. Blake Snell leads the AL in ERA. Blake Snell leads the AL in ERA. Blake Snell leads the AL in ERA. I figure if I say it enough, I'll start to believe it. Who the hell had Blake Snell being this good at the beginning of the year considering the division he plays in? Not to mention the fact that he is Blake Snell.

SP Chris Sale - He hasnt had as dominant of a first half as he did last year. However, after a small mechanical change he has went from throwing 97 to hitting 99-100 late into starts. With this uptick in velocity has came results, as he was named the AL Pitcher of the month for June and posted a 1.76 ERA and a 0.756 WHIP. He struck out 60 batters in 41 innings while walking just 9, and hitters batted just .154 with a .422 OPS against him.

SP Corey Kluber - Like with many of Terry Francona's teams, the Indians superstars struggle to hit their true peaks until after the all star break. Kluber has been no exception, and while he hasnt been as dominant as he was in the second half of his Cy Young campaign last year, he is still one of the best shutdown pitchers in the American League.

SP Trevor Bauer - Do you remember when Trevor Bauer hurt his hand screwing around with a drone and couldnt pitch in the playoffs? I 'member. I also was extremely skeptical when one of the baseball writers that I follow for fantasy said that Bauer was his #10 SP for the season at the beginning of the year. I will never doubt him again, as he has been outright nasty with a 2.45 ERA and an 11.6 K/9. Too bad that he made a bet with one of his buddies that if he accepted a multi-year deal he would have to be shot in the testicles.

SP Gerrit Cole - With a sub-3 ERA and with a new life being breathed into him by whatever funky Astros analytics, it was actually a pretty hard decision for me to include Cole in my roster. There are a lot of really deserving pitchers out there that didn't make the cut like Paxton, Clevinger, Skaggs, fucking CC Sabathia... While he has posted an ERA of 3.86 since June 1, the begining of his year was so impressive that it didnt feel right leaving him off the list.

SP JA Happ - Alright. This guy is pretty much just stealing a roster spot since the Blue Jays need a representative. No one on the Blue Jays is really worth going to DC on the offensive end, and the Blue Jays bullpen is riddled with suspensions and injuries. Their best starter this year has been Happ, and that's not saying much. While a guy like Clevenger really deserves this pitching spot, Happ and his 4.44 ERA can join the party and be the designated extra innings pitcher.

CP Blake Treinen - Jesus Christ, this guy has had an amazing season out of nowhere. The Oakland A's seemingly turn junk into jewels, and have turned Treinen from a Nats bullpen reject into being a 0.81 ERA pitcher with a 0.89 WHIP to go along with a 10.9 K/9. While I'm sure he will succumb to the horrors of every other great moneyball era A's closer after he is eventually traded, he is more deserving of an ASG nod as anyone.

CP Aroldis Chapman - All I wanna do is *bang bang bang bang bang* and $$$$$ and pitch the All Star Game. Do you all remember how horrible Chapman was last year? I do. I shouldn't be surprised that the Couch Cushion Shoota rebounded due to him throwing a million miles per hour, but I kinda am. It also isnt fair that the guy he was traded for is his team mate in real life and in my all star team.

CP Edwin Diaz - Diaz was pretty mediocre last year after being deemed the next hot thing after a briliant rookie campaign. He has quietly composed himself this year and is leading all of the American League in saves while boasting a 14.7 K/9 and a 2.35 ERA/ 0.82 WHIP.

CP Craig Kimbrell - Dirty Craig hasnt been as utterly dominant as he was last year when he struck out like 52% of all of the batters he faced heading into the ASG. His K/9 is at a career low 13.1, which is laughable. He has also has a WHIP 100 points higher than he did last season. He has given up 5 HR in the first half when he gave up 6 all of last year. But despite these things, he still is one of the best closers in all of baseball all while his infant daughter has been in and out of surgeries. I wouldnt be shocked if he denied going to the ASG to be with his family, but he does deserve an invite at the very least.

***NL Coming Later***​

Last edited:
Cubs playing clutch baseball in most of these games lately.. just o stay 1.5 games back of Milwaukee..

These Brewers are just still winning and being consistent.

Derby time. Fill um out.

ROUND 1
Aguilar v. Hoskins
Bregman v. Schwarber
Harper
v. Freeman
Muncy v. Baez

SEMIFINALS
Hoskins v. Schwarber
Harper v. Baez

FINALS
Harper v. Hoskins

Last edited:
Derby time. Fill um out.
ROUND 1
Aguilar v. Hoskins
Bregman v. Schwarber
Harper
v. Freeman
Muncy v. Baez

SEMIFINALS
Hoskins v. Schwarber
Harper v. Muncy

FINALS
Harper v. Hoskins
May wanna re-check those picks fam

Aguilar vs Hoskins
Bregman vs Schwarber
Harper
vs Freeman
Muncy vs Baez

Semis
Aguilar vs Schwarber
Harper vs Baez

Finals
Harper vs Aguilar

Rare nice moment for Harper and Nats fans. Too bad he will be donning a Cards uni next year.

Also fuck fatass Aguilar

This American League vs National League things blows. How can you consider these leagues rivals when the National League hasn't won in 6 years? This is why baseball has lost touch with the younger generations. Next year should be American League vs Soviet Union All Stars.

For those that doubted us after last year. After Stanton. After Fortnite and being no hit. After declaring the Yankees to be world beaters and telling me I was an idiot for saying otherwise.

Enjoy your heirlooms. Time to win another championship.

I wish the MLB was more popular. My God, only 7 pages and on the 7th page it goes clear back to May? Whatever. IT'S OCTOBER BASEBALL! I just wish my Reds would stop losing 90+ games. They've fallen on hard times :(
Here are my picks:
Colorado @ Chicago
Oakland @ NYY
Atlanta @ LA
Colorado @ Milwaukee
Cleveland @ Houston
Oakland @ Boston
LA @
Milwaukee
Houston @ Boston
LA @ Houston
I know a 2017 rematch, how original. I just think they're the 2 best teams. I don't have confidence in Boston's bullpen but Red Sox VS Astros will be the best series of the entire postseason. God the NL sucks

I wish the MLB was more popular. My God, only 7 pages and on the 7th page it goes clear back to May? Whatever. IT'S OCTOBER BASEBALL! I just wish my Reds would stop losing 90+ games. They've fallen on hard times :(
Here are my picks:
Colorado @ Chicago
Oakland @ NYY
Atlanta @ LA
Colorado @ Milwaukee
Cleveland @ Houston
Oakland @ Boston
LA @
Milwaukee
Houston @ Boston
LA @ Houston
I know a 2017 rematch, how original. I just think they're the 2 best teams. I don't have confidence in Boston's bullpen but Red Sox VS Astros will be the best series of the entire postseason. God the NL sucks
About 99% of the Smogon MLB talk takes place on our fantasy baseball chat. Which sucks and makes this thread seem like it's dead when it isn't. We are alive and kicking!

Your playoff matchups don't have the Red Sox beating the Brewers as the end result anyways, so I can't take them seriously. Please correct that.

Kate

Metamodernity
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
RBTT Champion
So the rockies got their asses handed to them.... Brewers may reach WS ngl. Braves take g3 but even if they force g5, LA is gonna win... Next year looks good for Atlanta though. Boston Yankees game tonight, with Yanks being 7-0 at home past two postseasons... I think New York takes in 4 or 5. Lmao Cleveland. They'll probably win the next two just so they can choke. How tf did anyone think this team had a chance?
Predictions for Championship Series:
ALCS: NYY vs. HOU My prediction: Yankees in 7
Realistic Prediction: Astros in 6
On paper, yes, Houston is the better team. However, the Yanks can definitely win this series. I hope this series happens, because this rematch of last year looks even more promising.
NLCS: MIL vs. LAD My prediction: Brewers in 7
Realistic Prediction: Dodgers in 7
The upstart Brewers have a very powerful bullpen that can take it to LA's powerful lineup. However, LA just has a much superior Rotation that will realistically win the series for them.
WORLD SERIES: My predict: NYY vs. MIL
Real predict: HOU vs. LAD
Mine: Yankees in 5. The Yankees simply do everything the Brewers do but better. I really don't see how Milwaukee could win this series. It's incredibly one-sided.
Real: Astros in 6. Hopefully we don't get this, because we don't want a (god forbid) NBA situation. But if it does happen, 'Stros should take it much easier than last year. They really are the whole package.
S/o to people who actually thought Cleveland could win a game. What fever dream are you living in? Lmao, fucking Cleveland.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)