MLB 2018 Thread

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Corbin to the Nats on a 6 year $140 million deal.

Word is the Yanks wouldn't go to a 6th year and the Phillies wouldn't pay more than $21 mil per year. Interesting move for the Nats in such a crowded division.

23 million a year for just a mediocre player? damn. granted his ko/bb rate is good, he's just decent. 11-7 with a 3.15 era, 1 cg, 1 shutout, that's just alright in my opinion

edit: just seeing this now, mariners sent cano and diaz over to the mets for bruce, kelenic, swarzak, bautista, and dunn. damn

That salary isn't as absurd as it seems. My man Fredrick Alfred Porcello got payed $20.5 mil for 4 years to cover his age 27-30 seasons before his Cy Young campaign when his career best season was a 3.43 ERA and 1.23 WHIP season. Corbin going into his age 29 season already has substantially better numbers than Fred Fred.

David Price set the price for elite SP at $30 mil, so $23 is about where an upper tier SP should be. Just as a comparison, Yu Darvish got a $126 million deal through his 31-36 seasons last season. With Keuchels and Kershaw's health concerns long term, Corbin was maybe the most coveted SP out there to get via FA.

It's stupid as shit though for the Nationals to sign him though. They're in the weird position the Giants were in last year when they got Longo and McCutchen, in that they are trying to add to a team that needs to be going more in the direction of a rebuild than to spend resources adding talent.

Nah, you're still not good enough to pass the Cubs and I got a feeling that the Brewers are going to trade for Syndergaard or Bum. I wouldn't even mind seeing them pick up a Greinke and signing a Keuchel.

Last edited:
Nah, you're still not good enough to pass the Cubs and I got a feeling that the Brewers are going to trade for Syndergaard or Bum. I wouldn't even mind seeing them pick up a Greinke and signing a Keuchel.
Not better than the Cubs? Probably.

Not better than the Brewers? I would disagree. Their offense is due for (some) regression next year, and signing Keuchel does not significantly help that staff. A healthy Jimmy Nelson might. Do they even have the assets to pull off a trade for those other guys you mentioned?

Regardless, I don't care what anyone says. The Ozuna trade was pretty unheralded territory for the Cards at the time, but the prospect of a Goldy to Cards trade was something I seriously balked at in terms of practicality. I like that we're not hoarding prospects anymore (even if we admittedly lost the Ozuna trade after an early one year evaluation)

The Brewers major minor league pieces are offensive players. Them not tendering Schoop doesn't mean that they're not willing to trade their top prospect Hiura like everyone is claiming. The Brewers don't have a lot of minor league depth, but the depth they do are mostly blocked position wise in the OF and at the corners. The Brewers also have a lot of interesting trade chips on their major league roster like Corbin Burnes, Freddy Peralta, Orlando Arcia, and Domingo Santana that could attract a lot of interest from the Mets/Giants. It's not a clear cut thing, but I sense the Brewers understand their weakness to their club was SP, and that they have a plan to address it. As much as they were able to do last year, you can't rely on Wade Miley types for consistency.

If the Brewers offense regresses some, but they address their pitching, they're still a mid 90 win ball club. Also, as amazing as the story of the Brewers was last year, don't forget how shit their pitching health was and how inconsistent their offense was from early in the year.

Don't get carried away with delusions of how much better one player can make a team. The Yankees cummed themselves over Stanton and their bullpen last offseason and still weren't able to bridge the gap over a better Red Sox team who made just one key move to address a minor weakness. And the Brewers just feel one big name SP like MadBum or Syndergaard who can catalyze their rotation away from being a really complete team. And they had the best record in the NL without really finding their team identity until September.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The Brewers major minor league pieces are offensive players. Them not tendering Schoop doesn't mean that they're not willing to trade their top prospect Hiura like everyone is claiming. The Brewers don't have a lot of minor league depth, but the depth they do are mostly blocked position wise in the OF and at the corners. The Brewers also have a lot of interesting trade chips on their major league roster like Corbin Burnes, Freddy Peralta, Orlando Arcia, and Domingo Santana that could attract a lot of interest from the Mets/Giants. It's not a clear cut thing, but I sense the Brewers understand their weakness to their club was SP, and that they have a plan to address it. As much as they were able to do last year, you can't rely on Wade Miley types for consistency.

If the Brewers offense regresses some, but they address their pitching, they're still a mid 90 win ball club. Also, as amazing as the story of the Brewers was last year, don't forget how shit their pitching health was and how inconsistent their offense was from early in the year.

Don't get carried away with delusions of how much better one player can make a team. The Yankees cummed themselves over Stanton and their bullpen last offseason and still weren't able to bridge the gap over a better Red Sox team who made just one key move to address a minor weakness. And the Brewers just feel one big name SP like MadBum or Syndergaard who can catalyze their rotation away from being a really complete team. And they had the best record in the NL without really finding their team identity until September.
Sure, if the Brewers trade for a top flight SP (anticipated WAR~6) then they’ll be expected to win 95 games and the division. They probably have the pieces to theoretically make it happen. That doesn’t mean it will happen or is likely to - teams tend to be extremely risk averse in the trading market and never want to be perceived as losing a trade. If (and probably when) they don’t make a trade, they’re probably heading for an 89 win season and a fight in the wildcard race.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)