MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Yeah I can't fucking tell you when the season starts... Like, there's an opening series this weekend or some shit but official Opening Day isn't for another week or something? So, Soon™ I guess. Plus you other guys just had your fantasy draft and shit.

Start posting here, nigs.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Texas 2014 fantasy draft winner.

Reason?

Yu.

I have Yu.

Fuck Yu Stallion, its my time now!
Darvish is a god, but you suck so you ain't doing shit xD.

Also fuck my batting lineup is crazy good, if I'm relatively healthy I can't see myself losing any offensive cat all too often. If my sleeper pitchers and my supernatural Australian waiver wire powers work out and my pitching turns out even serviceable, I'm confident in my ability to threepeat!

Last edited:
ugh, I'm in the middle of building a robot and have minimal internet access. I fixed some of my prices pre draft to see if that'd help me out, and I got a few of what I wanted but I was sure I plunged Chapman to really low after the injury and I'm fairly sure the CPU overspent on relievers :S

This is mainly for the people who couldn't make the draft like me.

I couldn't make the draft because of work, so Friday afternoon I went through and filled in the pre-ranking draft values for all of the players I wanted to get. This worked SURPRISINGLY well, as I was able to hit on a ton of players on my list. I got Yadier Molina, Evereth Cabrera, Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Hamilton, Nelson Cruz, David Ortiz, and Matt Holiday... All players I REALLY REALLY wanted...

However, as good as AutoDraft was to me, I am hoping to fix some of the mistakes. Primarily my player bench... I have waaaay too many position players. So, I turn to those who also couldn't make the draft or got screwed over in their draft strategy and need to make some trades. Hopefully I can find some before the season starts. :D

Guys I'm Looking To Trade: Alex Gordon, Billy Butler, Pablo Sandoval, Kyle Seager, Elvis Andrus
Positions I Want: Third Base, Starting Pitching (specifically wins and k's...)
Stats I can Afford to Give Away: HR, RBI, Saves

I'm willing to move some other pieces in the right deal. Anyone who has played with me the last few years knows that I'm a pretty easy trader. If I can't work some trades out now, I'll make due with what I have and try and snatch some guys up early in the season. Hopefully I can have that one guy who no one wanted and turns out to be a star a la Chris Davis...

Anyways, let me know.

Edit: My team is ThisIsOurF***ingCity by the way...

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I got offered Pence for Ortiz straight up in another league. Should I do it? Would slide Trumbo from OF to 1B and Pence would join CarGo and Braun in the OF. I could also give up Will Middlebrooks to get Brandon Belt in the same deal.

It depends on what you need and what kind of league it is. It's hard to give up on power, but Pence is 5 tools and can hit on all offensive statistics. Ortiz is a great player and is crazily undervalued though. Check out this article on Ortiz' fantasy value...

http://www.rotoauthority.com/2014/03/go-bold-or-go-home-big-papi-big-value.html

I like Pence and I like Ortiz. The most important question is does Ortiz have 1B eligibility. Based on your OP, I'd say he does. That improves his value a lot. The second most is, do you need steals or power and RBIs? If you have enough steals, keep Ortiz for back up, because you're going to have injuries and disappointments during the year.

Just my two cents as a fellow Ortiz owner.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm leaning towards not accepting, but this is my team:

Bumgarner, Cole, Salazar, Cingrani, Reed, Cishek, Nate Jones, Haren, Alex Wood, Rex Brothers

Yan Gomes, Ortiz, Kipnis, Machado, Segura, CarGo, Braun, Trumbo, Pedro Alvarez, Jennings, Daniel Murphy, Crisp, Starlin Castro, Middlebrooks

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Holy fuck i just wanted to comment on how colossally bad the cabrera deal is. Going with a fairly expensive valuation of a win (1 war = $6 million), all of 6 players ever have put up $248 worth between age 33-40: Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Honus Wagner, Hank Aaron and Tris Speaker. (by baseball reference) Cabrera is currently at 54.6 war, with a career high season of 7.5, 5.33 war per 162 games. Here are the numbers for the guys on that list through age 30 (same as cabrera): Bonds: 73.7/9.9/8.38, Ruth: 80.5/14.1/10.89, Mays: 76.9/10.6/9.08, Wagner: 47.4/8.3/7.43, Aaron: 80.3/9.4/7.86, Speaker: 77.2/10.1/8.42. With the exception of Wagner, you're looking at guys who are around 50% better than cabrera for their career, and much better at their peaks. Wagner both played in such a vastly different era its hard to compare, and came up 3 years older than cabrera, which is the only reason he's behind in in career war. The odds of the tigers getting back their money for this deal is extraordinarily low, and even if they do it will be a just barely, its not like signing a 50/50 you get way above or way below type of deal... youre either way below or close to break even.

I do too. The Grady Sizemore era is upon us... :D

There were some great games yesterday. I'm a sucker for great pitching matchups, and the only time those are guaranteed in every game you watch is opening day or the playoffs. So between that, all the walk-offs and extra inning games, and Bryce Harper taking a knee to the face... it was a great day to watch the ol' pastime.

...I really don't want to know how the dbacks were leading 7-1, then drop 6 runs in the 7th and go on to lose 9-8. That's Cardinals-level failure in Arizona terms in blowing such a big lead and losing.

So... yesterday I watched the Pirates and Reds combine for 10 homeruns in only 6 innings before a rain delay ended the game. I'm a sucker for a good pitching duel myself, but god damn. I can understand why chicks dig the long ball. Maybe they need to go get the humidor out for the next game to make things more fair...

Also, to start some discussion, what is everyone's thoughts on the new replay system now that we are in the third week of the season?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Also, to start some discussion, what is everyone's thoughts on the new replay system now that we are in the third week of the season?
it's just as accurate as all the other sports' replay systems, which is better than having nothing but perfectly imperfect

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it's just as accurate as all the other sports' replay systems, which is better than having nothing but perfectly imperfect
i cant remember ever seeing football have a case where you can get a freezeframe of something clearly showing the wrong call was made (no judgment involved) and not overturning like that call at 2nd base between yankees and red sox, so it definitely needs to improve... other than that game though its seemed fine for me

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Tanaka kicked ass, I never usually cheer on any Yankees but seeing as I drafted him to be my number one pitcher I'm stoked by his success so far. He's adapted even quicker then Darvish did, and that takes a lot for me to say as he's my favourite player in the world.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
For your easily digestible version of the above:

Bonus: Billy Hamilton is not very good at hitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)