-Landorus

If you don't have dream Radar:
-Pidove
-Zubat
-Woobat
-Braviary/Mandibuzz
-Sigilyph
-Ducklett/Drifloon/Wingull/Gligar/Swablu/Yanma/Tropius

A monotype I've been thinking about is Mono-ground for Platinum (can be done in DP, but trust me, it is better in Platinum)
Sinnoh has a large arrangement of Ground-types, including the following:

Turtwig/Grotle/Torterra- the one you should be choosing if you want to do a mono-ground run in the first place. Also means your rival's starter is weak to Ground, which is nice.

Geodude/Graveler/Golem: Admittedly, Golem isn't great in DPP, but he comes nice and early for a mono-ground run.

Onix/Steelix: Onix is horrible, but if you are lucky you can get the Metal Coat before you battle Gardenia by stealing it off a wild Bronzor. By doing that you have quite a powerhouse on your hands. If you don't want to go to all that trouble, just catch one on Iron Island.

Burmy/Wormadam Sandy Cloak: If you want to look like a fool, go ahead; I'm only listing this for the sake of including every Sinnoh ground-type.

Shellos/Gastrodon: The best of the Water/Ground types, and so the go-to option for a surfer in a mono-ground run

Barboach/Whiscash: Really just a worse version of Gastrodon, you can still use it though

Gible/Gabite/Garchomp: Let me think... Uber-rivalling stats? Check. Great ability for this playthrough? Check. Really you'd have o be crazy not to use this when it is at your disposal. Comes a tad late in DP though.

Wooper/Quagsire: See Whiscash, except Quagsire has slightly better stats.

Hippopotas/Hippowdon: Pretty bad in regular playthroughs, but in a mono- ground he provides awesome team support with Sandstorm, especially when you consider Garchomp and Gliscor have Sand Veil to abuse it with. A must-have for mono-ground.

Gligar/Gliscor: Not that great in regular playthroughs, but if has Sand Veil and you have a Hippowdon they can form a potent combo

Rhyhorn/Rhydon/Rhyperior: Again, not usually that great, but with Sandstorm patching up his Special Defense he can be quite bulky, especially with Solid Rock.

Swinub/Piloswine/Mamoswine: They come very late, but are quite powerful and can be useful against the Elite Four.

So there you have it; there are plenty of great options for Platinum mono-ground; this is probably one of the easier monotypes.

I recently put Pokemon Emerald onto my phone, and I decided to do a Dark monotype run. I decided to have a little fun with it, and start with Houndour using codes, just because that's something I've never got to use playing through a game, and you normally can't catch it until after the Elite Four in Emerald. The first gym was brutal, considering that the Seedot you trade for in Rustboro City doesn't listen to you, and my Houndour obviously wasn't doing much with Ember, so I basically had to solo with Poocheyna. Second gym was a joke, Sableye meant I didn't take a single point of damage. Third gym was easy except for the Manectric, shit is so fast. Fourth gym wasn't too bad, but Sunny Day boosted Overheats are rough with only one resist, but I got some lucky Bite flinches so it wasn't bad. Fifth gym was again a joke, other than Slaking, nothing can even hit Sableye, so having four full health Pokemon to take on one Slaking is pretty solid. The sixth gym was pretty simple, lead with Absol and Swords Danced, took down Swablu, Pelliper, and Tropius before switching when Skarmory came out, that was an easy 2HKO with Houndoom (Ember is still the only fire attack it has atm), and then Altaria got Ice Beamed into oblivion by Sharpedo. That's where I'm at right now. Here's my team, although obviously movesets will improve by the Elite Four, and I'll have used my Leaf Stone on Nuzleaf by then.
CURRENT MEMBERS:
Cerberus (Houndoom Lvl. 35) @ Charcoal
Ember / Bite / Howl / Smog
Dots (Nuzleaf Lvl. 36) @ Miracle Seed
Bullet Seed / Nature Power / Fake Out / Faint Attack
Diamond (Sableye Lvl. 35) @ Quick Claw
Fake Out / Faint Attack /Astonish / Night Shade
Tyrell (Sharpedo Lvl. 35) @ Mystic Water
Surf / Crunch / Ice Beam / Slash
Lilynette (Absol Lvl. 35) @ BlackGlasses
Quick Attack / Strength / Swords Dance / Bite
RETIRED MEMBERS:
Sajin (Mightyena Lvl. 33)
Bite / Strength / Howl / Swagger
I retired Mightyene when I caught Absol since the two are fairly redundant. Intimidate was nice, but Absol's beastly attack stat and Swords Dance is too good. I'm probably just going to keep it as a team of five so I have room for an HM slave. Right now it's a Tropius with Cut, Fly, and Rock Smash. The only other team options I have are Crawdaunt and Cacturne, neither of which will add any diversity since I'll already have Sharpedo and Shiftry. Anyway.. I'm gonna go grab my phone and try to get to the next gym tonight! Cheers!

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I decided to do a dark run of emerald earlier. Just because I like flying I hacked Murkrow in as my starter, and I randomized trainer's pokemon so that they are all type-themed. It's fun, even though I only have Murkrow and Seedot right now, heading into Rustboro.
Planned team:
Murkrow
Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry
Corphish/Crawdaunt
Cacnea/Cacturne
Carvanha/Sharpedo
Absol

Posted in the order you get them.

I decided to do a dark run of emerald earlier. Just because I like flying I hacked Murkrow in as my starter, and I randomized trainer's pokemon so that they are all type-themed. It's fun, even though I only have Murkrow and Seedot right now, heading into Rustboro.
Planned team:
Murkrow
Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry
Corphish/Crawdaunt
Cacnea/Cacturne
Carvanha/Sharpedo
Absol

Posted in the order you get them.
How do you randomize their teams to be type teams?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
On the universal randomizer there is an option for "type-themed" or something along those lines, check it and hey are all mono-type. I find it fun playing like that, especially on mono-type runs.

Steel type is my specialty. I'm not a big fan of stacking with legendaries, otherwise this team would defs be different, but anyways here's mine without Genesect, Jirachi, etc.

Metagross
Ferrothorn
Aegislash
Empoleon
Skarmory
Lucario

There's my no-legends steel team. With legends? Assuming it's OU I'd go:

Metagross
Heatran
Genesect
Jirachi
Aegislash
Mega Lucario (or if Lucarionite is banned, I'd use Ferrothorn)
1. This is for in-game, not competitive.
2. You posted in a thread inactive since July of last year without adding anything.

So what's the stance on doing mono-runs with time-limited event Pokemon? I had a lot of difficulty in a Black mono-Fire run without Victini, for instance. (Tepig/Victini/Darumaka/Litwick/Larvesta/Reshiram with a cameo from Heatmor and Pansear)

I did Bug in Black 2 to get Challenge Mode unlocked, but used an event legend: Sewaddle, Genesect, Venipede, Dwebble, Heracross, Volcarona (thank god you could CATCH the stupid thing this time), and Joltik all played key roles there.

Most recently, I did Fire in X: Fennekin, Fletchling, Litleo, Torchic, Charizard, Houndoom and Litwick again. I've got an Excel spreadsheet mapping out each type in X/Y and I do want to try Fairy, Ghost and Steel at least once Pokebank goes live.

So what's the stance on doing mono-runs with time-limited event Pokemon? I had a lot of difficulty in a Black mono-Fire run without Victini, for instance. (Tepig/Victini/Darumaka/Litwick/Larvesta/Reshiram with a cameo from Heatmor and Pansear)

I did Bug in Black 2 to get Challenge Mode unlocked, but used an event legend: Sewaddle, Genesect, Venipede, Dwebble, Heracross, Volcarona (thank god you could CATCH the stupid thing this time), and Joltik all played key roles there.

Most recently, I did Fire in X: Fennekin, Fletchling, Litleo, Torchic, Charizard, Houndoom and Litwick again. I've got an Excel spreadsheet mapping out each type in X/Y and I do want to try Fairy, Ghost and Steel at least once Pokebank goes live.
Well I personally have always seen mono-type runs as a sort of self-imposed challenge mode (with an emphasis on one's favourite type, usually). Because of that I always avoid using event and/or legendary pokemon as they take the challenge (and in my opinion the fun) out of an in-game run. Especially in the case of a mono-type where one can simply use a pokemon like genesect to save any battle with its coverage...

0 gym badges
Riolu --> Lucario (Fight)

1 gym badge
Magnemite-->Magneton-->Magnezone (Electric)

2 gym badges
Onix --> Steelix (Ground)
Drilbur --> Excadrill (Ground)

4 gym badges
Karrablast --> Escavalier (Bug)
Klink --> Klang --> Klinklang
Ferroseed --> Ferrothorn (Grass)
Nosepass --> Probopass (Rock)
Aron --> Lairon --> Aggron (Rock)

5 gym badges
Skarmory (Flying)
Cobalion (Fight)

6 gym badges
Pawniard --> Bisharp (Dark)

8 gym badges
Metang --> Metagross (Psychic)
Bronzor --> Bronzong (Psychic)

A good team:
Lucario
Magnemite
Steelix/Excadrill
Escavalier
Klinklang
Ferrothorn/Probopass/Aggron

Last edited:
More monotypes for BW2 (red color means it isn't that type, bold means it is dual-typed):
0 Gym Badges
Patrat --> Watchog (pure Normal, Route 19/20/Floccessy Ranch)
Pidove --> Tranquil --> Unfezant (Normal/Flying, Route 20/Floccessy Ranch)
Lillipup --> Herdier --> Stoutland (pure Normal, Floccessy Ranch)
Azurill --> Marill --> Azumarill (Normal --> Water --> Water, Floccessy Ranch)

1 Gym Badge

Dunsparce (pure Normal, route 20)

2 Gym Badges

Rattata --> Raticate (pure Normal, Castelia Sewers)
Buneary --> Loppunny (pure Normal, Castelia City, B2 exclusive)
Skitty --> Delcatty (pure Normal, Castelia City, W2 exclusive)
Eevee --> Any eeveelution (pure Normal, Castelia City)
Minccino --> Cinnccino (pure Normal, Route 4)

3 Gym Badges
Braviary
(Normal/Flying, Route 4, W2 exclusive)

4 Gym Badges

5 Gym Badges

6 Gym Badges
Swablu
--> Altaria (Normal/Flying --> Dragon/Flying, Route 14)

7 Gym Badges

8 Gym Badges
0 Gym Badges
Tepig --> Pignite --> Emboar (Fire --> Fire/Fighting --> Fire/Fighting, Starter)

1 Gym Badge

Magby --> Magmar --> Magmortar (pure Fire, Virbank Complex, B2 exclusive)
Growlithe --> Arcanine (pure Fire, Virbank Complex)

2 Gym Badges

Eevee --> Flareon (Normal --> Fire, Castelia City)
Darumaka --> Darmanitan (pure Fire, Route 4)

3 Gym Badges

Pansear --> Simisear (pure Fire, Lostlorn Forest)

4 Gym Badges

5 Gym Badges
Volcarona
(Bug/Fire, Relic Castle)
Litwick --> Lampent --> Chandelure (Ghost/Fire, Celestial Tower)

6 Gym Badges
Numel
--> Camerupt (Ground/Fire, Reversal Mountain)

7 Gym Badges

8 Gym Badges

Vulpix --> Ninetails (pure Fire, Abundant Shrine, requires Surf and Waterfall)
0 Gym Badges
Oshawott --> Dewott --> Samurott (pure Water, starter)
Azurill --> Marill --> Azumarill (pure Water, Floccessy Ranch)
Psyduck --> Golduck (pure Water, Floccessy Ranch)

1 Gym Badge

2 Gym Badges
Eevee --> Vaporeon (Normal --> Water, Castelia City)

3 Gym Badges
Panpour --> Simipour (pure Water, Lostlorn Forest)

4 Gym Badges
Ducklett
--> Swanna (Flying/Water, Driftveil Drawbridge)

5 Gym Badges
Frillish
--> Jellicent (Ghost/Water, Route 4/Virbank City, requires Surf)
Basculin (pure Water, almost anywhere, requires Surf)
Alomomola (pure Water, Route 4/Virbank City, requires Surf)
Buizel --> Floatzel (pure Water, Lostlorn Forest, requires Surf)

6 Gym Badges
Mantyke
--> Mantine (Water/Flying, Undella Bay, requires Surf)
Remoraid --> Octillery (pure Water, Undella Bay, requires Surf)
Wailmer --> Wailord (pure Water, Undella Bay, requires Surf)
Spheal --> Sealeo --> Walrein (Water/Ice, Undella Bay, requires Surf, Winter only)
Lapras (Water/Ice, Village Bridge)

7 Gym Badges
Corsola
(Water/Rock, Humilau City, requires Surf)
Seel --> Dewgong (Water --> Water/Ice, Seaside Cave)

8 Gym Badges
0 Gym Badges
Snivy --> Servine --> Serperior (pure Grass, Starter)
Sunkern --> Sunflora (pure Grass, Route 20)
Sewaddle --> Swadloon --> Leavanny (Bug/Grass, Route 20)

1 Gym Badge

2 Gym Badges

Cottonee --> Whimsicott (pure Grass, Castelia City, trade exclusive in W2)
Petilil --> Lilligant (pure Grass, Castelia City, trade exclusive in B2)

3 Gym Badges

Maractus (pure Grass, Desert Resort)

4 Gym Badges
Roselia
--> Roserade (Poison/Grass, Lostlorn Forest)
Pansage --> Simisage (pure Grass, Lostlorn Forest)
Deerling --> Sawsbuck (Normal/Grass, Route 6)
Foonguss --> Amoonguss (Poison/Grass, Route 6)

5 Gym Badges
Ferroseed
--> Ferrothorn (Steel/Grass, Chargestone Cave)

6 Gym Badges

Tangela --> Tangrowth (pure Grass, Route 13)
Virizion (Fight/Grass, Route 11, Legendary)

7 Gym Badges

8 Gym Badges

I once did a mono Normal run on Platinum. The one thing that really aggravated me was farming for the Thunderbolt TM to teach to my Porygon-Z so that I could take on Crasher Wake more effectively. I did this run ages ago though so I can't remember many of the details. I ditched my starter for a Bidoof asap so that I could take on Roark with Bibarel.

I believe that my team was this: Bibarel (turned into a HM slave later on), Staraptor, Togekiss, Blissey, Porygon-Z, and Lopunny.

Pokemon Black 2 Dark mono:
Liepard
Scrafty
Bisharp
Zweilous(not Hydreigon because grinding)
Krookodile
Mandibuzz

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)