Bronze Rank
Silver Rank
Gold Rank
Electric
Bronze Rank
Silver Rank
Gold Rank
Peak(s): 1509 (Normal), 1511 (Electric)
W/L Ratio: 24 W 6 L (Normal), 25 W 5 L (Electric)
Proof
Normal
Normal Core Peak.png

Normal WL Ratio.png

Electric
Electric core peak.png

Electric core WL ratio.png

I was pleasantly surprised by Heliolisk. I ran a Glare + 3 attacks pivot set, and it was a good paralysis spreader. Dry Skin is helpful too, as it means offensive Water types can't just spam their STABs. That said it is quite weak and super frail. Smeargle was alright, nothing spectactular. It has such bad 4mss - it really wishes it could run Sticky Web, Spore, Nuzzle, Stealth Rock, Magic Coat and Memento, and it is so damn frail. Sticky Web is really helpful though.

Zeroara is just brilliant, one of the best mons on Electric. Awesome speed, high Attack and Choice Band make it a fantastic anti offense mon. With Close Combat it can also hit Normal teams hard. Thundurus-T was a pleasant surprise - I ran a Nasty Plot set with Fightinium Z with Thunderbolt, Hidden Power Flying and Focus Blast. Hidden Power Flying was chosen so I could KO Mega Venusaur at +2, although I never actually faced a Grass team in the end.

Overall I enjoyed this core challenge a lot, first time I've ever got Gold rank in both types. For the next CC, can I suggest Water with Araquanid and Manaphy? Sticky Web Water is an unexplored archetype I feel.

Last edited:

Namranan

:)))))))))))
Congrats to Guwahavel for winning the Super Core Challenge! His team will be posted in a seperate hall of fame and he will receive 5 extra cycle points! The next Super Core Challenge will be at the end of this cycle.

Shokkking has won the Flying Challenge with a peak of over 1600, and ChrystalFalchion won the Win/Loss Ratio for Flying with a 24/6 record.

Shokkking was the only person that managed to get a platinum rank for any of the cores, and he got the one with Flying so congrats again!

Next cycle is already up! Tagging Eien to merge this with index thread.

Namranan

taken over from Illama and approved by Eien.
hosted by Namranan , co-hosted by Perish Song

(Banner by Ticken)
Monotype Core Laddering Challenge Season 2 Cycle 4
2 Standard Cores, January 28 - February 11

Ghost

Gourgeist + Gengar
Tag : CCS2Gh4
Hall of Fame Rankings:

Platinum: 1550+
Gold: 1425+
Silver: 1300+
Bronze: 1200+
Gourgeist - This Pokemon has a little controversy when it comes to its usability, so in order to not state an opinion I will state only what it can truly do. Gourgeist is a relatively decent physical wall with access to moves like Synthesis and Leech Seed to wear its opponents down. It also can opt to use Seed Bomb to take down bulky water types like Swampert and Gastrodon, or use Foul Play to beat out certain setup sweepers. It can also use Will o wisp if it wishes to instead cripple oncoming physical attackers like Bisharp. Overall, it can work as a wall but because of its typing and the nature of Ghost it can be difficult to fit on a team effectively.
Gengar - As one of the first Ghost Pokemon, Gengar has always been decent in usage based tiers. This is no different from how it is in Monotype. Gengar is still one of ghosts best forms of speed control and is able to revenge kill a lot of threats to the type thanks to its good STAB coverage and great coverage moves in Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, and a surprise mechanic with destiny bond. Overall it is still an absolutely solid mon and can fit easily onto any team.

Grass

Dhelmise + Ferrothorn
Tag: CCS2Gs4
Hall of Fame Rankings:

Dhelmise - Dhelmise may be unranked but that doesn't mean its niche can't be useful. Grass as a type likes to generally focus on stacking hazards and wearing down the opponent over time with its defensive Pokemon. However, Grass usually lacks a way of clearing opposing hazards without also removing their own, which is where Dhelmise comes into play. Thanks to its bulk and ability to use rapid spin, it has the tiniest niche in being able to get rid of hazards while also being a spinblocker. It can also trap opposing Pokemon as well with Anchor Shot, but most of the time it will get KO'd by these targets instead of it KOing them. While it may not see much use, overall Dhelmise can definately work on a Grass team, it just needs to have the right support to do so.
Ferrothorn - A staple on every Grass Team. This Pokemon is one of the best walls in the game, and of course is still infinately useful on Grass. Thanks to its bulk, STAB move in Gyro Ball, and ability to lay hazards and punish Rapid Spinners with Iron Barbs, this Pokemon does it all. Despite its crippling fire weakness, Grass has options for Ferrothorn to deal with it, and with the right support it can prove to be a hard mon to take down.

Note: This project is now lead by Namranan and cohosted by Perish Song. So now all questions and suggestions regarding to CLC should be directed towards us now and not Illama, the former leader.

To register to participate in a core challenge, you must reply to this forum with the proper information to be eligible! See the example post below for details. This also applies for submitting peaks (with that said please keep all of your information onto 1 post)! Otherwise, refer to the Index Thread for the official rules and info on this project. Please make sure to post replays of your Hall of Fame Rankings, failure to do so will result in your post being ignored.

In order to win this challenge, one player must obtain the highest ladder peak with the given core. In order to be eligible for winning the challenge you have to either post a replay of your peak (Highest elo reached) or take a screenshot of your accounts highest rank on ladder. The person with the highest rank at the end of the week is the winner of the challenge and will get posted in a new hall of fame in the Index thread along with the team they were using. If you win, please PM the team to Perishing Song or Namranan along with a brief description of the team and how you got the elo you got to. (Replays are much appreciated)

Remember to keep track of your Win/Loss ratio because the person with the best ratio out of 30 games can get a shoutout after the challenge has ended. To submit your Win/Loss ratio just take a screenshot of your record and post it in your registration. The team with the best record will be added to its own Hall of Fame. That being said, if you win the challenge you must PM Namranan or Perishing Song your team with a brief description of how it works. If you do this even without winning you will still have your team posted in an honorable mentions section. You get 1 extra point this cycle if you submit your team.

Have Fun!​

Last edited:

Namranan

Example Challenge Registration:
PS! Name: Namranan
Laddering Alt(s): CCS2Gh4 Nammy, CCS2Gs4 Nammy
HoF Replays/Peaks:
none
W/L Ratio:
none

PS! Name: Ieki
Laddering Alt(s): CCS2Gh4 Fog
HoF Replays/Peaks:
none
W/L Ratio:
none

Turn 1

Sableye-Mega's Sablenite is reacting to the Key Stone!
Sableye-Mega has Mega Evolved into Mega Sableye!

The opposing Armaldo used Stealth Rock!

[Sableye-Mega's Magic Bounce]
Sableye-Mega bounced the Stealth Rock back!
Pointed stones float in the air around the opposing team!

Sableye-Mega used Will-O-Wisp!
The opposing Armaldo was burned!

The opposing Armaldo was hurt by its burn!

Turn 2

The opposing Armaldo used Rapid Spin!
It doesn't affect Sableye-Mega...

Sableye-Mega used Knock Off!
(The opposing Armaldo lost 29% of its health!)
Sableye-Mega knocked off the opposing Armaldo's Leftovers!

The opposing Armaldo was hurt by its burn!

ladder never changes

Last edited:
PS! Name: ChrFal
Laddering Alts: CCS2Gh4 CF, CCS2Gs4 CF
HoF Replays / Peaks: 1421 Ghost (4 points off Gold Rank, fuck!)
Ghost
Bronze Rank
Silver Rank
Grass
Bronze Rank
Ghost Core Peak and WL Ratio.png

W/L Ratio:
23 W 7 L (Ghost)

Thoughts on the cores

Honestly Gourgeist just plain sucks. It is so passive, I tried running Seed Bomb but that left me utterly helpless against Grass types, I tried running Phantom Force but that was just plain bad, and I tried running Foul Play but that left me set up fodder for any special attacker. Ghost in general is a pretty lacklustre type tbh, there's only a handful of good mons and Dark teams eat you for breakfast. You'd think it would have a good matchup against Normal, but no - Mega Lopunny will see to that. Gengar on the other hand was great, LO AoA set was my favourite. I ran Destiny Bond as a way to bait Muk-A and defensive Tyranitar so Blacephalon could sweep later on.

Last edited:

Namranan

Congrats to Mateeus_1 for winning both challenges and obtaining the only platinums in both types AND winning the Win/Loss ratio for both types.

Remember Mateeus_1 that you have to send me or perish a paste of your teams so that we can put it in the Hall of Fame.

Thank you once again to everyone else who participated, tagging Eien to merge this with index thread.

Namranan

Congrats to ChrystalFalchion for winning both challenges and Win/Loss ratio's. Unfortunately there were no platinum ranks :(

Remember ChrystalFalchion that you have to send me a paste of your teams in PM's so I can put them in the hall of fame.

Thank you to everyone who participated, tagging Eien to merge this with index thread.

Namranan

taken over from Illama and approved by Eien.
hosted by Namranan , co-hosted by Perish Song

(Banner by Ticken)
Monotype Core Laddering Challenge Season 2 Cycle 4
2 Standard Cores, February 4 - February 18

Rock
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/stakataka.gif
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/golem-alola.gif

Stakataka + Alolan Golem
Tag : CCS2Ro4
Hall of Fame Rankings:

Stakataka - Stakataka is back but now on Rock instead of Steel. Just like on steel teams, Stakataka is virtually used the exact same way here, but it needs more team support in order to work and also has to be careful about the webs that the team uses, as it can compromise itself against other stakataka's or shuckle. Also like on steel, Stakataka works very well against offensive teams like dragon and sometimes electric. It can also choose to run a different item if another teammate like terrakion or omastar wants to use it instead, examples include Air Balloon and Life Orb.
Alolan Golem - One of the greatest additions to rock ever since its release and recent movepool buff in USM. Now that it has access to fire punch, it is able to trap and KO a lot more steel types like scizor and ferrothorn reliably thanks to its Magnet Pull ability. It's item also has some flexibility, as it can choose to run Fire-Z or Choice Band. Choice Band allows you to OHKO certain steels instantly (Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Scizor, Etc.) and let golem come in on more steels, while Z-move allows you to eliminate one steel type and use other moves freely so that you aren't choice locked. Overall, Golem has an easy role that allows it to succeed on most rock teams, and is almost always seen on one as well thanks to this role.

Fairy
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/gardevoir-mega.gif
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xyani/clefable.gif

Mega Gardevoir + Clefable
Tag: CCS2Fa4
Hall of Fame Rankings:

Platinum: 1600+
Gold: 1450+
Silver: 1375+
Bronze: 1250+
Mega Gardevoir - I know most of you are sick of using this Pokemon on Psychic by now, but have no fear! This pokemon has a useful niche on Fairy teams as a way of dealing with certain poison types and breaking through certain bulky Pokemon like Mantine and being able to burn threatening pokemon like Alolan Muk with will-o-wisp. It can also be a stallbreaker with Taunt but this is not as useful as the other two, especially with mons like Tapu koko and bulu already on your team. Nonetheless, Mega-gardevoir is able to be used over mega-diancie, even if it is for a relatively tiny niche.
Clefable - While it has become less common due to the rise in popularity of Mimikyu, Clefable still has some new tricks up its sleeve and is still very dominant in the metagame for fairy. It is able to use a sash counter to check out of control physical attackers, as well as calm mind sets and stealth rock sets. It also has recently started using knock off in order to deal with the ever present Curse Muk that can tear through fairy teams if you are not careful. Overall, this mon is still very useful, even if its teamslot is now more debated than ever.

Note: This project is now lead by Namranan and cohosted by Perish Song. So now all questions and suggestions regarding to CLC should be directed towards us now and not Illama, the former leader.

To register to participate in a core challenge, you must reply to this forum with the proper information to be eligible! See the example post below for details. This also applies for submitting peaks (with that said please keep all of your information onto 1 post)! Otherwise, refer to the Index Thread for the official rules and info on this project. Please make sure to post replays of your Hall of Fame Rankings, failure to do so will result in your post being ignored.

In order to win this challenge, one player must obtain the highest ladder peak with the given core. In order to be eligible for winning the challenge you have to either post a replay of your peak (Highest elo reached) or take a screenshot of your accounts highest rank on ladder. The person with the highest rank at the end of the week is the winner of the challenge and will get posted in a new hall of fame in the Index thread along with the team they were using. If you win, please PM the team to Perishing Song or Namranan along with a brief description of the team and how you got the elo you got to. (Replays are much appreciated)

Remember to keep track of your Win/Loss ratio because the person with the best ratio out of 30 games can get a shoutout after the challenge has ended. To submit your Win/Loss ratio just take a screenshot of your record and post it in your registration. The team with the best record will be added to its own Hall of Fame. That being said, if you win the challenge you must PM Namranan or Perishing Song your team with a brief description of how it works. If you do this even without winning you will still have your team posted in an honorable mentions section. You get 1 extra point this cycle if you submit your team.

Have Fun!​

Last edited:

Namranan

Example Challenge Registration:
PS! Name: Namranan
Laddering Alt(s): CCS2Ro4 Nammy, CCS2Fa4 Nammy
HoF Replays/Peaks:
none
W/L Ratio:
none

PS! Name: ChrFal
Laddering Alts: CCS2Ro4 CF, CCS2Fa4 CF
HoF Replays:
Rock

Bronze
Silver
Fairy
Bronze
Silver
Peaks: 1387 (Rock) 1434 (Fairy)
W/L Ratio: 22 W 8 L (Rock), 23 W 7 L (Fairy)

Honestly Stakataka was much better than I expected it to be. It's a very solid late game cleaner with Trick Room. Rockium Z is still its best set - the nuke helps it kickstart Beast Boost. I even managed to sweep a Rain Water team with it. Golem-A is great, it's one of the only things stopping Scizor from 6-0lling a Rock Team.

Mega Gardevoir also exceeded my expectations, although I still think Diancie is the much better choice for a mega evolution on Fairy. It's very effective in the Grass matchup, as nothing wants to switch into it. It could do with more speed though. Clefable was also pretty good, I started out with a Calm Mind set and then dropped it for a Stealth Rock support set with Babiri Berry.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)