Moody

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you can't ban anything in Ubers. That defeats the purpose of Ubers.

But, we could put an "Inconsistent Clause" that disallows Inconsistent, and can only be turned off in Ubers.

But, we could put an "Inconsistent Clause" that disallows Inconsistent, and can only be turned off in Ubers.
Why not, we ban evasion moves and OHKO moves in ubers. We could just as easily apply that to Inconisistent because I'm sure if inconsistent is allowed to remain in ubers many people who enjoy it might just stop playing it altogether.

Double Team/ohko moves aren't really allowed there (not that Ohko moves are even necessary but...). Also, you couldn't really turn clauses like sleep off (otherwise Darkrai would really be a nightmare). And I'm fairly sure Inconsistent Smeargle is going to be banned insanely fast (Shell Smash passed Rayquazas, Arceuses, Ho-Ohs, Zekrokms...NO).

And for a philosophical thought, just because something was made for a purpose doesn't mean it always has to stick to that and can be actually for something else entirely. By now Ubers is a legitimate metagame (and has been) in and of itself, more than just merely a banlist (like in 1st-2nd generation).

And that is why I ran Surf/Flamethrower on Inconsistent Octillery. You would have no idea how useful it was from just the little experience I had battling with Inconsistent before it was banned. Toxicroak and Mushroom? Hah!

Why not, we ban evasion moves and OHKO moves in ubers. We could just as easily apply that to Inconisistent because I'm sure if inconsistent is allowed to remain in ubers many people who enjoy it might just stop playing it altogether.
That's what I was saying. But, they're not banned in Ubers because they're uber-uber, they're banned because of a standard clause.

Which is why I was saying the only way to get Inconsistent out of Ubers is to make a standard Inconsistent clause.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
They're banned in ubers because they're entirely luck based and not skill based. Doesn't that sound a certain ability being discussed in this thread as well...?

We SHOULD make an Inconsistent clause. That ability is broken as fuck and requires people to forgo stuff like Thunderbolt/Brave Bird to run crap like Shock Wave/Aerial Ace just to beat the shit out of evasion boosts.

(Admittedly, it WOULD be funny if a future Pokemon had Inconsistent as its only ability... what would YOU do about it? Now that sucks. *future Poke name* clause LOL)

How the fuck is this ability broken? Yeah, sure it can raise evasion, but even if it does, another stat will drop, and the evasion boost will only last for one turn.

It would not be broken if the stat dropped by two. But, Inconsistent raises a stat by two and lowers a stat by one, meaning that even if another stat drops it doesn't matter because it will eventually go up again.

How the fuck is this ability broken? Yeah, sure it can raise evasion, but even if it does, another stat will drop, and the evasion boost will only last for one turn.
The sheer luck of this ability is why its broken, its not something people want in a healthy metagame. Moreover, arguably even with the stat drop it doesn't offset the fact that you still get +2 on some other stat and eventually given time - which has been seen by many can easily be done with stalling and yes LUCK of what boosts you acquire (its not JUST evasion you have to worry about but the potential defense boosts or SpAtk & Speed boosts)- the negative stats can potentially be offset in the long run since its only decreased by 1 level. Given this reliance on luck and the negative nature of it in the long run even lack luster players can abuse this with little to no thought other than going for broke.

Only last for one turn? No, it lasts forever, just like you were using any other stat boosting move. The only way the evasion can be lowered is to get an evasion drop (and even then you'll still be at +1 evasion).

This ability is broken as hell and I am honestly stunned that some people are still insisting otherwise.

Only last for one turn? No, it lasts forever, just like you were using any other stat boosting move. The only way the evasion can be lowered is to get an evasion drop (and even then you'll still be at +1 evasion).

This ability is broken as hell and I am honestly stunned that some people are still insisting otherwise.
I know, right? The ability is ridiculously broken. I can maybe see an argument (possibly, but then it might still have been broken potentially) if it did drop stats by 2 as it raised them and therefore if it dropped something it raised, absolutely nothing would have happened. But even with +1s, it's good and if it does balance, something else just got a +2. And it's completely utterly random and makes counters too dependent them NOT getting a certain boost that would allow the Inconsistent user to kill/survive/stall for even more boosts.

And it is a +2, for doing NOTHING! In any game, +2 advantages are known for being potentially broken/gamechanging and Inconsistent does one EVERY turn. In other games, this type of luck would have been banned fast. And, finally it has but it is amazing that people argue that Inconsistent is not broken or cheap and that you can (reliably which you sure as heck can't) beat it. NO.

Sigh. I can't believe people still argue that Inconsistent isn't a broken ability. Are these people honestly ignorant of the reason for Inconsistent being an incredibly stupid ability or are they simply defending it because they are using it to great effect and are too unskilled/lazy to use a different strategy?

If Inconsistent didn't raise Evasion it wouldn't be SO broken BUT it would still be a horrible ability that wouldn't rely on skill. It's broken because of that very fact - with Inconsistent, SKILLZ MEAN JACK SHIT. Not to mention that this ability breaks Evasion Clause and turns the game from a fun game of strategy and prediction to a roll of dice.

When I saw Exclaimation's post, I was gonna say about the last for one turn, but TLK ninja'd me. :(

Exclaimation, if you played Inconsistent users before, they are really annoying. In fact, face it, we don't want a metagame where everyone is carring a Hazer/Pokeball Shroomy/Shock Wave/Aerial Ace/*insert name of shitty 60 BP nevermiss move here*/Vital Throw just to counter Inconsistent. Pokeball Shroomy/Rubbish Bag/*any Pokemon with Clear Smog*/Lucario and friends who get Aura Sphere will be OU because they are simply used TOO much to counter Inconsistent.

Eventually the teams of every damn player will get down outright to

Inconsistent Smeargle(only one with BP IIRC)
Inconsistent Abuser 1
Inconsistent Abuser 2
Rubbish Bag/Pokeball Shroomy/anyone else with Clear Smog or Haze
Shock Wave/Aerial Ace/*insert name of shitty 60 BP move that never misses* user
Utility Poke

It overcentralises the metagame all thanks to fucking evasion boost. Overcentralise? Sounds like certain Dragons we know...?*cough*ChompMenceANDLatias*cough*

When I saw Exclaimation's post, I was gonna say about the last for one turn, but TLK ninja'd me. :(

Exclaimation, if you played Inconsistent users before, they are really annoying. In fact, face it, we don't want a metagame where everyone is carring a Hazer/Pokeball Shroomy/Shock Wave/Aerial Ace/*insert name of shitty 60 BP nevermiss move here*/Vital Throw just to counter Inconsistent. Pokeball Shroomy/Rubbish Bag/*any Pokemon with Clear Smog*/Lucario and friends who get Aura Sphere will be OU because they are simply used TOO much to counter Inconsistent.

Eventually the teams of every damn player will get down outright to

Inconsistent Smeargle(only one with BP IIRC)
Inconsistent Abuser 1
Inconsistent Abuser 2
Rubbish Bag/Pokeball Shroomy/anyone else with Clear Smog or Haze
Shock Wave/Aerial Ace/*insert name of shitty 60 BP move that never misses* user
Utility Poke

It overcentralises the metagame all thanks to fucking evasion boost. Overcentralise? Sounds like certain Dragons we know...?*cough*ChompMenceANDLatias*cough*
Chomp Mence and Latias cannot be compared to them. Sure, they did centralize a shitload, but it's rather similar to Pokemon like Doryuuzu: if you don't have a Doryuuzu counter (Techniloom anyone?) you get steamrolled. Of course, Chomp, Mence and Latias are MUCH better Pokemon, with superior bulk etc.

The difference between the Dragon/Dory counters and Inconsistent 'counters'? The counters for the Dragon-types/Doryuuzu actually have USES outside of countering those selected Pokemon. Even in Ubers, Kyogre (I'm using Kyogre as an example as it is IMO the most powerful Pokemon in the tier) counters (Zekrom anyone?) have many more uses outside of countering just one Pokemon.

However, the same cannot be said of Inconsistent 'counters' ('counters' because they are NOT reliable). Moraberaru is complete BULLSHIT outside of the fact that it is one of the rare Pokemon that gets Clear Smog. Garbage Bag can be used as a Toxic Spiker, but there are better options like Pendoraa.

Thus, it can be said that Inconsistent will centralize the metagame to unhealthy levels even when compared to Ubers, thus making a ban very useful to the development of a fun generation V metagame.

This is off topic but, 114/70/80 Defenses with Regeneration, Spore and the ability to clear up Toxic Spikes is not bullshit.

His moveset is though, Grass/Poison is relatively bad coverage and he doesn't get anymore type coverage other than Rollout(LOL), Payback/Faint Attack, Return, Astonish(what) and Hidden Power.

Also Doryuzu is easily shut down if you have a weather inducer in the wings. Last I heard Chomp, Mence and Latias don't need weather to troll. *is shot for off-topic*

Right now I'm abusing to great effect Assist Power Smeargle in the uber metagame, and I have found that with threats like Kyogre having perfect accuracy on Thunder, pokemon with colossal defenses and the ability to whirlwind you out (ie Lugia) the brokenness is quite limited. That said, there will always be the match once in a blue moon where you get every boost you need and 6-0 sweep. I really don't know about this one

Right now I'm abusing to great effect Assist Power Smeargle in the uber metagame, and I have found that with threats like Kyogre having perfect accuracy on Thunder, pokemon with colossal defenses and the ability to whirlwind you out (ie Lugia) the brokenness is quite limited. That said, there will always be the match once in a blue moon where you get every boost you need and 6-0 sweep. I really don't know about this one
Why wouldn't you just Baton Pass to things like Arceus, Zekrom, Rayquaza, Groudon, Kyogre, Mewtwo, Ho-oh, Dialga, Palkia, Reshiram, *insert every other uber not currently listed*? They have much better stats than Smeargle and without Baton Pass, why are you using Smeargle when you can hit them with even more vicious Arceus/Rayquaza's Extremespeeds, stronger Brave Birds/Sacred Fire Ho-Ohs etc?

Why wouldn't you just Baton Pass to things like Arceus, Zekrom, Rayquaza, Groudon, Kyogre, Mewtwo, Ho-oh, Dialga, Palkia, Reshiram, *insert every other uber not currently listed*? They have much better stats than Smeargle and without Baton Pass, why are you using Smeargle when you can hit them with even more vicious Arceus/Rayquaza's Extremespeeds, stronger Brave Birds/Sacred Fire Ho-Ohs etc?
I don't think you understand the greatness that is assist power Smeargle. I have Baton Pass on it, but I don't carry any other ubers on my team, so the only recipient would be Espeon, who isn't the most bulky. To give you an idea of AP's power, it can OHKO metagross. Yeah. I have been able to OHKO a +6 SpD Kyogre as well after a +3 to SpA. When you are using a move that can reach 860 power, your SpA isn't as important (especially when you can get free +2 boosts to that stat without doing anything)

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Regarding Clear Smog: Substitute blocks the stat-clear effect of Clear Smog, so it's not going to work against Inconsistent.

I've witnessed and used Assist Power Inconsistent Smeargle in DW Ubers. Don't underestimate its strength. After many Protect/Substitute stalls it is more than capable of maiming apart entire teams without a Dark type (or the usual inconsistent counters) with Assist Power. I've seen Smeargle OHKO Dialga, Arceus, and many others. And when the situation doesn't work out for Smeargle, he can BP the boosts to someone else, preferably to another BPer so it can pass back to Smeargle and continue to abuse Inconsistent.

ITT: Mad everywhere.

Regarding Clear Smog: Substitute blocks the stat-clear effect of Clear Smog, so it's not going to work against Inconsistent.
A guy posted a log where clear smog worked against a substitute in a page before

It's a bug of PO then?

Both that log and Bulbapedia say that the clearing goes through Substitute. So unless both are mistaken...

And anyway, if you want to go with a clearing move that goes through Substitute, there is Haze, which has more PP anyway.

It would not be broken if the stat dropped by two. But, Inconsistent raises a stat by two and lowers a stat by one, meaning that even if another stat drops it doesn't matter because it will eventually go up again.
The problem is that, while that's truth, you can't control what stats go up and what stats go up. Depending on your sets your chances of getting an useful stat boost can be 1/7, 2/7 or perhaps 3/7, but even then in the avarage, the inconsistent user will lose.

Same applies to stat drops.

Personally, I like go gamble and I believe Pokemon is a good gambling game, so I don't mind inconsistent. I use it but also I've never been sweeped when others used it against me, but again, I've witnessed so many hate towards Inconsistent, it goes beyond any normal thinking.

In any case, nobody can't deny it has counters, neither that it's based on luck. I think the "based on luck" thing it's what makes it banned (not necessarily broken), but I don't mind luck.

The problem is that, while that's truth, you can't control what stats go up and what stats go up. Depending on your sets your chances of getting an useful stat boost can be 1/7, 2/7 or perhaps 3/7, but even then in the avarage, the inconsistent user will lose.

Same applies to stat drops.

Personally, I like go gamble and I believe Pokemon is a good gambling game, so I don't mind inconsistent. I use it but also I've never been sweeped when others used it against me, but again, I've witnessed so many hate towards Inconsistent, it goes beyond any normal thinking.

In any case, nobody can't deny it has counters, neither that it's based on luck. I think the "based on luck" thing it's what makes it banned (not necessarily broken), but I don't mind luck.
What happens is either you get a boost to evasion or speed or you switch out and try again. You will have on average 6 chances to switch in if you sacrifice every pokemon on your (or just get a free switch), giving you a 12/7 chance of getting an ideal boost. from there you just alternate sub and protect until you get all the boosts you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)