Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Are you accounting for the fact that every time the Distortion World loads, the frame advances by 11?

Edit:
Smogon Gen 4 RNG guide said:
(NOT Turnback Cave Giratina)
Giratina is a Method J Pokemon. Every time the Distortion World is loaded the frame advances by 11. If you're doing advances through the Journal or Chatter your starting frame will be 23 (It will be 12 if you're advancing the frame through the Journal without accessing it from the menu, i.e. when it first appears when starting the game).

The recommended procedure would be to start the game (loading the Distortion World map once), open the menu, and do either Chatters or Journal flips as if the starting frame is 23, then engage in battle (loading the Distortion World map a second time).

Are you accounting for the fact that every time the Distortion World loads, the frame advances by 11?

Edit:
so with my target frame being 254 how would I get an even number then because if I do the recommended procedure I get a starting frame of 45 right (11 when entering the game 23 starting frame and another 11 by starting the battle right?) if I do the journal advances without loading my menu i will get 23 (12 like stated above and 11 when I start the battle) unless loading the menu increases the frame by 1

so with my target frame being 254 how would I get an even number then because if I do the recommended procedure I get a starting frame of 45 right (11 when entering the game 23 starting frame and another 11 by starting the battle right?) if I do the journal advances without loading my menu i will get 23 (12 like stated above and 11 when I start the battle) unless loading the menu increases the frame by 1
A chatot with a custom chatter can make your frame advance by 1.

edit: also scrolling from previous pages of this thread states that you either start from 12 or 23 (the latter being if the journal is brought up manually from the key item).

Last edited:
Actually When I did it, I loaded the game,skipped the diary, did coin flips then opened the journal via the menu. Turned out my starting frame was 12 not 23.

My advice; hit your seed and verify it straight away, don't even touch the journal and catch Giratina straight off.
Check ivs and the frame you hit which will be your starting frame.
Repeat this but advance your frames from your starting frame to your target.
Check Ivs and the frame you landed on.
Repeat process and adjust your frame advancements accordingly.

Actually When I did it, I loaded the game,skipped the diary, did coin flips then opened the journal via the menu. Turned out my starting frame was 12 not 23.

My advice; hit your seed and verify it straight away, don't even touch the journal and catch Giratina straight off.
Check ivs and the frame you hit which will be your starting frame.
Repeat this but advance your frames from your starting frame to your target.
Check Ivs and the frame you landed on.
Repeat process and adjust your frame advancements accordingly.
I know that my problem is I keep getting odd frames I want to know how to get even frames like I said above I've shown what my possible starting frames are it's just when I do my journal flips I get odd frames

A chatot with a custom chatter can make your frame advance by 1.

edit: also scrolling from previous pages of this thread states that you either start from 12 or 23 (the latter being if the journal is brought up manually from the key item).
Don't have chatots:(

I know that my problem is I keep getting odd frames I want to know how to get even frames like I said above I've shown what my possible starting frames are it's just when I do my journal flips I get odd frames

Don't have chatots:(
I see, another alternative is if you walk 128 steps with x number of pokemon in your party, it will advance the frame by x amount. But since you stated that you are RNG'ing giratina (I don't think you could exit the distortion world without encountering it right?), I guess your best bet is to RNG it in its altered forme. How many pokemon do you have in your party? Maybe you could try this method.

So WiFi discontinued and I don't have a Chatot on White. Am I screwed?
If you own an EZ flash 3 in 1 and an R4, you can insert the .pkm files from pokemon on pokecheck into your game. Otherwise, you'd need a game where you can catch a Chatot yeah..

So a question about the Battle Recorder function on a retail Emerald cart. Does it automatically advance the frames regardless of where you end the battle or do you have to end the battle in the exact same place each time to get consistent results?

Edit: Also does the Battle Recorder video save its frame at the time it is saved? If so, can you simply wait till you hit in the area of a desired frame (this would be for difficult to hit because of how long they take spreads) and then get the video to allow you to more accurately RNG absurdly high frames? For example, if I wanted a frame that was 900,000 frames out, could I save the battle recorder at roughly 800,000 so that way when I RNG I'm only really having to wait 100,000 frames?

Last edited:
The way you make an odd number of frame advancements without a Chatot is walk 128 steps with an odd number of pokes in your party. You then have an even number of advancements you can make with the journal.

Thanks guys.
You can opt to use an alternative which is by saving (counts as 1 chatot custom chatter on Gen 5) which works only if there are no wandering npcs in the area you plan on RNG'ing; this is however counterproductive. Also, you may want to redirect further pokemon White version questions on the 5th gen thread.

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
So a question about the Battle Recorder function on a retail Emerald cart. Does it automatically advance the frames regardless of where you end the battle or do you have to end the battle in the exact same place each time to get consistent results?

Edit: Also does the Battle Recorder video save its frame at the time it is saved? If so, can you simply wait till you hit in the area of a desired frame (this would be for difficult to hit because of how long they take spreads) and then get the video to allow you to more accurately RNG absurdly high frames? For example, if I wanted a frame that was 900,000 frames out, could I save the battle recorder at roughly 800,000 so that way when I RNG I'm only really having to wait 100,000 frames?
Playing the video sets the PRNG state to what it was at the start of the battle, then it advances as the battle requires (no advancement by video frames displayed). There's a fairly long period of time before the first turn begins where the PRNG state remains unchanged.

Playing the video sets the PRNG state to what it was at the start of the battle, then it advances as the battle requires (no advancement by video frames displayed). There's a fairly long period of time before the first turn begins where the PRNG state remains unchanged.
Thanks for the response Hozu that answers my question.

Just to make sure I understand the concept properly, I don't need to worry about calculating frames from when I start the game to when I start the video since it'll automatically be forwarded to whatever the saved frame was from the video?

For example, I take 360 frames to get to the battle video and the battle video's saved frame was 2000, until the first move is made in the video, when I end the video, it'll start me out on frame 2000 and not 2360, correct?

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the response Hozu that answers my question.

Just to make sure I understand the concept properly, I don't need to worry about calculating frames from when I start the game to when I start the video since it'll automatically be forwarded to whatever the saved frame was from the video?

For example, I take 360 frames to get to the battle video and the battle video's saved frame was 2000, until the first move is made in the video, when I end the video, it'll start me out on frame 2000 and not 2360, correct?
I think one or two frames over 2000, yes. I forget when exactly the RNG starts advancing by video frames again, but that's easy enough to adjust for.

lats

formerly lockiegengar12
I dunno if this deserves to go in this thread or the other one, but I was planning on abusing a hidden grotto today. I open up RNGReporter to check for the hidden grotto encounter slots and... this. Is there a list of stuff anywhere else?

Edit: It's worth mentioning that it's expired for all the other types of encounter slots too.

.com is cool :D

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to know the bug catching contest encounter slots in HG? I've tried all of them from 0-11 and none of them are Scyther... -.-

Does anyone happen to know the bug catching contest encounter slots in HG? I've tried all of them from 0-11 and none of them are Scyther... -.-
As per this guide the encounter slots should be taken from serebii's Bug catching contest page, in this case, you start from eslot 1 to the 10, and match those with the pokemon from left to right. For example, eslot 1 is the leftmost so it should be caterpie or wurmple.

I've found that the website which offers the encounter table(http://eggmove.com) is unaccessible recently.(the domain is for sale~)

So where can I get the encounter lists of the 3rd & 4th generation pokemon games now?

Could someone provide me with a website, or an excel file? Thanks.

Hey y'all, trying to RNG suicune in hgss, do I really have to kill off all the roamers? I thought theyre roaming only shifted your frame occasionally. I wanted to keep them because it's the easiest way to check your delay. Can I keep them and still rng suicune successfully?

Hey y'all, trying to RNG suicune in HGSS, do I really have to kill off all the roamers first? I thought their roaming only shifted your frame occasionally. I wanted to keep them because it's the easiest way to check your delay. Can I keep them and still rng suicune successfully?

Hey y'all, trying to RNG suicune in HGSS, do I really have to kill off all the roamers first? I thought their roaming only shifted your frame occasionally. I wanted to keep them because it's the easiest way to check your delay. Can I keep them and still rng suicune successfully?
Yeah ofc you can keep them :) Your starting frame will be somewhat shifted though, so ELM/Irwin Calls are your best best to determine your starting frame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)