Move Priority, DP

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
+7 Focus Punch (charge message)
+6 Switching / Fleeing
+5 Helping Hand
+4 Magic Coat, Snatch
+3 Detect, Endure, Follow Me, Protect
+2 Feint
+1 Aqua Jet, Bide, Bullet Punch, Extremespeed, Fake Out, Ice Shard, Mach Punch, Quick Attack, Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch, Vacuum Wave
±0 Assist, Me First, Metronome, Mirror Move, Sleep Talk, Everything else
-1 Vital Throw
-2 Focus Punch
-3 Avalanche, Revenge
-4 Counter, Mirror Coat
-5 Roar, Whirlwind
-6 Trick Room

A faster Pokemon always goes first within the speed bracket of the move. In every single case, higher priority moves go before lower priority moves (if the move is selected by Assist, Me First, Metronome, Mirror Move, or Sleep Talk, that counts as a use of Assist / Me First / Metronome / Mirror Move / Sleep Talk, and thus it has a priority of 0)

Quick Claw gives your Pokemon an 18.75% chance of ignoring Speed and going first within your speed bracket, barring the enemy also activating a Quick Claw, in which case normal Speed rules would apply. Speed and Quick Claw never let a move with a lower priority beat a higher priority (so a Quick Claw activated Deoxys-E using Vital Throw always goes after Macho Brace Paralyzed Shuckle using Tackle). Custap Berry makes your next move automatically go to the top of its priority bracket after activating.

The exceptions are Assist, Me First, Metronome, Mirror Move, and Sleep Talk. These have a priority of 0, and thus if you Sleep Talk Whirlwind, for example, you can go before a slower Pokemon using, say, Tackle.

Unlike in GSC, it is the faster phazer that phazes. In GSC, a Pokemon had to go last for phazing to work, so if a Tyranitar with 1 Curse and a Tyranitar with no Curses both used Roar, the non-Cursed Tyranitar would go first, and Roar would fail, and then the Cursed Tyranitar would go, and phaze out the other Tyranitar. In Advance and DP, however, the faster phazer uses Roar / Whirlwind, sending the enemy away, thus giving them no chance to try and Roar / Whirlwind you.

Revenge and Avalanche get boosted damage from Focus Punch, and do not interrupt it, making them the only attacks that cannot interrupt Focus Punch.

Lagging Tail, Full Incense, and Stall make that Pokemon always move last, if both Pokemon are using a move of the same priority. Lower priority moves will still always go after higher priority moves, regardless of Lagging Tail, Stall, and Full Incense. If two Pokemon with Stall are out at the same time, the one with higher Speed goes last. If two Pokemon are holding Lagging Tail or Full Incense at the same time, the one with the higher Speed goes last. If a Pokemon with Lagging Tail / Full Incense is out against a Pokemon with Stall, the one with Lagging Tail / Full Incense goes last. If a Pokemon with Stall activates Quick Claw, the that Pokemon will still go first, barring a faster Quick Claw activation.

Trick Room reverses the use order of the moves in the same priority. For instance, if a Pokemon with 3 Speed is up against a Pokemon with 10 Speed, the one with 10 Speed would normally go first, but under Trick Room, the one with 3 Speed goes first. +2 priority will still always beat +1 priority, however. Pokemon with Lagging Tail / Full Incense and Stall completely ignore Trick Room, so they go last in the order explained above. Pokemon with Quick Claw completely ignore Trick Room as well, so Quick Claw still makes you go first, and if two Pokemon activate their Quick Claw, the faster Pokemon still goes first.

Pursuit comes right before a switch if a switch is used (+6.5 priority, if you want to think of it that way). It doubles in power if they switch out. If they use Baton Pass and you are faster, the Pokemon using Baton Pass takes normal damage. If they use Baton Pass and you are slower, the Pokemon they pass to takes normal damage. If they use U-Turn and you would normally go before them, the Pokemon using U-Turn takes normal damage. If they use U-Turn and you would normally go after them, the Pokemon using U-Turn takes double damage, and then they select the Pokemon to bring out, which takes no damage, so essentially, if you use Pursuit and they use U-Turn and you would normally go after them, Pursuit has 0.5 priority (so in Trick Room, you would have to be faster than them to get the boost, unless their Quick Claw activates or you are holding Lagging Tail / Full Incense or have the trait Stall).

Personal testing in RS (this was a while ago) suggested that Sleep Talk and Assist could not pick Focus Punch, ever. (Oddly enough, Sleep Talk can pick Protect, and it has priority 0 as you would expect).

My testing also suggested that Metronome could not pick Focus Punch, but my method of testing that one was just using Metronome over and over and eliminating moves that were performed.

Snatch can't get Helping Hand, Magic Coat, or Follow Me, like you said.

My test data with Assist suggested that it could not pick Assist, Counter, Covet, Destiny Bond, Detect, Endure, Focus Punch, Follow Me, Helping Hand, Metronome, Mimic, Mirror Coat, Mirror Move, Protect, Sketch, Sleep Talk, Snatch, Thief, or Trick. That was in Sapphire, and was done with an Assist Delcatty and a Smeargle with some combination of Assist-voiding moves - Assist always failed. This should probably be tested by someone in DP.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What priority is switching? It doesn't matter except in the order of the messages given, but it should be put down for completeness (and for competitor).

Also if Follow Me is of higher priority then switching, in 2v2 a Follow Me should be able to redirect a Pursuit targetting a switching pokemon.

Feint is down a level from where you have it--below detect and stuff, but above quick attack and associated moves.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Here's the priority listed for each move in the game's data:

+5 Helping Hand
+4 Magic Coat, Snatch
+3 Follow Me, Protect, Detect, Endure
+2 Feint
+1 Aqua Jet, Bide, Bullet Punch, Extremespeed, Fake Out, Ice Shard, Mach Punch, Quick Attack, Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch, Vacuum Wave
±0 Assist, Metronome, Sleep Talk, Copy Cat, Everything else
-1 Vital Throw
-2 (No existing moves)
-3 Focus Punch
-4 Avalanche, Revenge
-5 Counter, Mirror Coat
-6 Roar, Whirlwind
-7 Trick Room

Testing Switching and "tightening focus".

Four Pokemon on the field. From fastest to slowest:
Latios, Rampardos, Meditite, Machop.

Rampardos tightens focus.
Latios uses Helping Hand.
Meditite and Machop attack Rampardos with 0 priority moves.
Rampardos loses focus.

Electivire, Rampardos, Meditite, Machop.

Rampardos tightens focus.
Electivire switches to Latios.
Meditite and Machop attack Rampardos with 0 priority moves.
Rampardos loses focus.

Focus Punch (charge message) goes before switching which goes before Helping Hand the move with the highest priority.

What your missing from your statistics are switching, Pursuit and Feint. Feint will go after Protect/Detect but work before +1 priority moves. From that Feint is 1.5 priority. Since the highest is +6, switching would be +7. Pursuit is +8 then if you are switching, but +0 otherwise.

just tryed detect/protect/endure vs feint

feint always went last so its piority is below those 3 moves but above quick attack and its clones

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Custap Berry, the berry that "allows you to move first just once in a pinch", works like a guaranteed Quick Claw effect if you are under 25% health.

Just a note from my own testing.

Related Question: If you use Me First against a foe using a negative priority attacking move, your Me First is guaranteed to work, correct? (except in the case of focus punch) So for example a Me First Vital Throw will be Vital Throw at 1.5X power, never miss, and have no speed priority (because it is used at 0 priority thanks to Me First)

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
TRE: What about switching vs. Helping Hand? I guess we can call the Focus Punch charge priority 6 (or 7 if switch is above Helping Hand).

edit: nevermind you said it, just there wasn't an example.

Team Rocket Elite

Oops, forgot to put that in.

Latios, Electivire, Meditite, Machop.

Electivire switches to Rampardos.
Latios uses Helping Hand.
Meditite and Machop attack and stuff.

Switching goes before Helping Hand.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does Custap trump a Quick Claw activation, or vice versa (or are they the same priority, with Speed determining the winner if they are both active)?

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Lol, coincidentally we were testing Helping Hand yesterday as regards the damage formula. Can confirm that Helping Hand goes before a Quick Attack user.

Team Rocket Elite

I don't see why you would think it wouldn't, but I tested it anyways.

Smeargle used Helping Hand!
Togekiss used Extremespeed!

Smeargle is slower than Togekiss. Helping Hand goes before Extremespeed.

I find it pretty amusing that Bide got a hgher priority this gen.
It makes a lot of sense. If you're slower and you use Bide, your opponent will know not to attack you and to stat up for two turns. Now you can surprise them. After you've taken damage, they have two choices: try to finish you off or switch to something that can take the hit or that they don't care about.

EDIT: Obi, I was told that Quick Claw activated much more often than that (somewhere in the range of 1 in 3 times). Has there been recent research done on it?

obi

formerly david stone
You mean end-of-turn effects, like Sandstorm, status, etc.?

I wrote something like that for ADV, which is located here. However, much of it was only verified on Netbattle, so it, too needs verification.

I'm not entriely sure if this is the correct place to ask but it seems like it.

What determines the priority of switches? Yesterday I was battling on wifi and it was Blissey vs Skarmory. I chose to withdraw Blissey and send out Garchomp. My opponent chose to withdraw Skarmory and send out Gyarados.

Skamory was withdrawn and Gyardos was sent out.

Blissey's attack fell.

Blissey was withdrawn and Garchomp sent out.

Is it based on speed,who made the selection first or something else?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)