Movepool changes

Pangoro with Bullet Punch is criminally underlooked. 124 base Atk is really high considering you can use an Adamant nature on all your sets and now Iron Fist is even more useful alongside Scrappy.

Some calcs:
252+ Atk Expert Belt Iron Fist Pangoro Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 250-298 (103.7 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
This is huge because Expert Belt provides this KO while hiding the item (which could be a Choice Band) and without preventing you from choosing another move in the following turn.

252+ Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Pangoro Bullet Punch vs. 16 HP / 8 Def Mega Gardevoir: 236-278 (83.9 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Pangoro Bullet Punch vs. 16 HP / 8 Def Mega Gardevoir: 205-242 (72.9 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Expert Belt Iron Fist Pangoro Bullet Punch vs. 16 HP / 8 Def Mega Gardevoir: 190-223 (67.6 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Nice calcs because Pangoro takes away a huge chunck of HP of Mega Gardevoir which can't really stay into the battlefield if its HP is lower than 80%. Remember that in this case your item is Expert Belt and not Life Orb.

252+ Atk Expert Belt Iron Fist Pangoro Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Terrakion: 146-173 (45.2 - 53.5%) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Pangoro Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Terrakion: 159-187 (49.2 - 57.8%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
Nice, because this means that LO almost 2HKOs the opponent which tries to sweep you.

Last edited:
Probably doesn't change much competitively (which I don't play) but I love Noctowl getting Moonblast as well as the small special attack buff. Has always been my favorite regional bird and maybe my favorite flying type period.

MRW Bibarel can get +3 with one swords dance and suddenly needs to be taken seriously for once.
The Manaphy of UU

...checks Bibarel's stats...

The Manaphy of NU

It's still a step up from being terrible in PU plus now he's the second best early route rodent lol.

Not really a movepool change, but I figured this was the best place to post about it. Water Shuriken has become a special move in this generation, and besides Greninja, the only pokemon to get it is.... Accelgor. And it can make decent use of it. Not probably worth it on every set, but worth considering.

Water Shuriken is okay coverage for the lower tiers cause it hits Fire and Ground types hard but it's pretty weak. It does do solid damage to Camerupt, and can hit relatively hard for a priority move. But one of the main uses it will have will be to hit Talonflame before it can move, seeing as the ex-smogonbird will probably find itself in the lower tiers this gen.

252 SpA Life Orb Accelgor Water Shuriken (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 245-300 (82.4 - 101%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO

With some luck you can trade one-for-one with Talonflame if you need to.

I'm feeling really bullish on BSS bulky Arcanine. Burn Up is an AMAZING move for Arcanine since it allows it to eject its sometimes bothersome mono-fire type and the annoying ground/rock weaknesses that come with it. Arcanine doesn't suffer too much from the lack of fire STAB, in part because Burn Up is still a high BP special move that unlike Flare Blitz, has no recoil, and unlike Overheat, doesn't cripple his offensive presence after one use.

Even without burn up, it matches up fairly well against both Pheromosa and Kartana who will be prime threats in singles. If it has removed its fire type, physical Garchomp actually can't do anything to it. The burn nerf does hurt its viability against some threats like M-Mence and M-Kanga though.

Arcanine doesn't suffer too much from the lack of fire STAB, in part because Burn Up is still a high BP special move that unlike Flare Blitz, has no recoil, and unlike Overheat, doesn't cripple his offensive presence after one use.
Are you aware that Burn Up cant be used at all if you aren't Fire Type?

I'm feeling really bullish on BSS bulky Arcanine. Burn Up is an AMAZING move for Arcanine since it allows it to eject its sometimes bothersome mono-fire type and the annoying ground/rock weaknesses that come with it. Arcanine doesn't suffer too much from the lack of fire STAB, in part because Burn Up is still a high BP special move that unlike Flare Blitz, has no recoil, and unlike Overheat, doesn't cripple his offensive presence after one use.

Even without burn up, it matches up fairly well against both Pheromosa and Kartana who will be prime threats in singles. If it has removed its fire type, physical Garchomp actually can't do anything to it. The burn nerf does hurt its viability against some threats like M-Mence and M-Kanga though.
I do think Burn Up Arcanine would be great, as it basically becomes a pokemon with no Weakness' with intimidate Very tanky

I still want to do some tests with this on Typhlosion. I always felt the second gen starters are criminally undervalued, this should help him get some love. (Now if only Maganium, my favorite, got some more love...) I do think though it needs sun support to be truely devestating

CHoice specs
Burn up
Solar beam
ExtraSensory
Focus Blast

Are you aware that Burn Up cant be used at all if you aren't Fire Type?
When was that said?

It was in the research thread. If you aren't Fire, the move fails, so it effectively can't be used twice. So your Specs set isn't a great idea. Edit: here http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...chanics-research.3586701/page-12#post-7078730
Ah ok. So you would probably need to run 2 fire moves to us it effectively, so Choice sets are bad.

I do want to use this move on Typlosion. Its the fastest fire type with this. Maybe lead with eruption, and if you are low and just need another fire nuke you use Burn up.

Ah ok. So you would probably need to run 2 fire moves to us it effectively, so Choice sets are bad.

I do want to use this move on Typlosion. Its the fastest fire type with this. Maybe lead with eruption, and if you are low and just need another fire nuke you use Burn up.
I think Choiced sets would rather run Fire Blast instead for reliability. I know Burn Up is a freakin' nuke but Blaze Fire Blast still hits hard enough.

Maybe Life Orb/Expert Belt sets can effectively run Burn Up? STAB nuke on the first turn then use coverage moves after while having no weaknesses defensively.

I think Choiced sets would rather run Fire Blast instead for reliability. I know Burn Up is a freakin' nuke but Blaze Fire Blast still hits hard enough.

Maybe Life Orb/Expert Belt sets can effectively run Burn Up? STAB nuke on the first turn then use coverage moves after while having no weaknesses defensively.
Yeah that can work. Typhlosion has some decent coverage with Extrasensory and Focus Blast. Last move sadly has to be hidden power grass or solar beam on a sunny team. Shame it doesn't get too many special moves

Uhm... isn't Burn Up's one-use property exactly why you'd use it on a Choice set, as a hit-and-run move?

I understand a Stealth Rock weakness makes it unappealing, but not more unappealing than it on a non-Choice set IMO (and it's not unappealing in that circumnstance).

Uhm... isn't Burn Up's one-use property exactly why you'd use it on a Choice set, as a hit-and-run move?

I understand a Stealth Rock weakness makes it unappealing, but not more unappealing than it on a non-Choice set IMO (and it's not unappealing in that circumnstance).
yeah, I was thinking about the SR weakness making it hard to switch in multiple times. :/

Excuse me if this has been asked before, but is there a list of all Pokémon that have changed movepools since ORAS? By that, I also mean changes of learning levels (not only additional moves). As an example, Zubat has its ordering changed now learning Leech Life at level 31 instead of level 1.

You'd be better off using Overheat in that case - same power, but with Overheat you can attack again if you need to. Using Burn Up means you have no choice but to either switch or flail in futility.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)