SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Considering that Youngster Tristan can make it past the Elite Four, it's not out of the question that preschoolers can be much better at pokemon than some adults.
Tristan is an even more significant case as his team is not only nothing spectacular, but is weaker than all the Elite Four members. How he defeated them is a Mystery or Conspiracy in itself.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Tristan is an even more significant case as his team is not only nothing spectacular, but is weaker than all the Elite Four members. How he defeated them is a Mystery or Conspiracy in itself.
At that point I think you should be allowed to call for a League meeting.

"You guys are my Elite Four? You lost to a kid with lower leveled Pokemon! We're going on a training session, first order of business: learning how to use a full team of six Pokemon."

Were the names of Focus Blast and Aura Sphere switched at some point in the translation process? You'd think the move that never misses would have Focus in the name. It's even worse in the Spanish version where Focus Blast is called "Accurate Wave" (Onda Certera).

Edit: I think Tristan used the tried and true method of "guzzling Full Restores" to beat the Elite Four.

Were the names of Focus Blast and Aura Sphere switched at some point in the translation process? You'd think the move that never misses would have Focus in the name. It's even worse in the Spanish version where Focus Blast is called "Accurate Wave" (Onda Certera).
Well, Focus Punch is called "Puño Certero" (Accurate Punch) in spanish even though it's not particularly accurate.

It's a mistranslation.

I guess "Focus" comes from the concentration, not the accuracy.

Well, Focus Punch is called "Puño Certero" (Accurate Punch) in spanish even though it's not particularly accurate.

It's a mistranslation.

I guess "Focus" comes from the concentration, not the accuracy.
(Focus Blast aside....) I don't speak Spanish, but it doesn't seem like a mistranslation. Focus Punch is a perfectly accurate move, and it seems like the concept is that the 'mon needs time to focus to make the hit as direct (and thereby powerful) as possible. Being difficult to execute isn't the same thing as being inaccurate.

(Focus Blast aside....) I don't speak Spanish, but it doesn't seem like a mistranslation. Focus Punch is a perfectly accurate move, and it seems like the concept is that the 'mon needs time to focus to make the hit as direct (and thereby powerful) as possible. Being difficult to execute isn't the same thing as being inaccurate.
I meant "not particularly" accurate, as 100% accuracy, while something that does not miss under normal circumnstances, is not something you'd want to highlight accuracy on.

Smart Strike (Cuerno Certero) is not a literal translation but it actually makes sense there.

"Concentrado" could have been a more accurate translation (pun intended) but I can see why they didn't use it - it would be past even 15 characters for Focus Punch and Focus Blast. "Enfocado" was another possibility, as was "Centrado" (which is what the latin american dub of the anime used).

The Spanish translation IS garbage, the naming of the moves is just the tip of the iceberg.

I blame European Spanish for this.

The Spanish translation IS garbage, the naming of the moves is just the tip of the iceberg.

I blame European Spanish for this.
It got a little better since Gen V, with nothing that is particularly bad, and fixing some of the earlier mistakes.

(That being said, changing Slam from "Portazo" to "Atizar" makes the move feel much more bland. I still want to imagine it as an actual doorslam)

For now, Type: Null is the sole exception in the Spanish and Italian translations. Even though the anime and general franchise (does a null canon exist at all?) have several other translations available, the games only come in nine languages at this time, assuming traditional and simplified Chinese count separately. Every other Pokémon in those two localizations keep their English names.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So this has been bothering me for a while, what's the Aether Foundation logo suppose to be?

I've seen suggestions like someone holding up a crystal, the Aether Paradise, the letters A & F put together, but I'm not really sure about that.

I'm curious about the origins of the Rock and Ground types. In most RPGs, they would be a single Earth element (e.g. Golden Sun). Why are they separate types in Pokemon? See also Water and Ice, but other games like Final Fantasy do that too for some reason. I think Bravely Default, a Final Fantasy in all but name, made Ice and Water the same element, though.

Rock/Ground split might be mainly for interaction with the Flying Type - a fissure in the ground isn't a threat to a bird, but hundreds of rocks falling on it certainly is. Similarly, Water and Ice are usually split due to their interaction with Fire (where the former is at an advantage and the latter isn't).

I'm curious about the origins of the Rock and Ground types. In most RPGs, they would be a single Earth element (e.g. Golden Sun). Why are they separate types in Pokemon? See also Water and Ice, but other games like Final Fantasy do that too for some reason. I think Bravely Default, a Final Fantasy in all but name, made Ice and Water the same element, though.
The creators at Gamefreak are Bionicle fans. ;)

(Yes I know Pokemon predates it, it's a joke).

Ooh, a thread attempting to apply real-world logic to a video game.
1. Eggs/breeding
It's a given fact that all pokemon are an individual species. If this is true, offspring of multiple species would be hybrid pokemon, and these hybrids would share similar characteristics of, say, a mule or liger. Therefore, eggs really aren't produced via breeding. So where do they come from?
2. Easy life
Assuming a 1:1 ratio of Pokemon world size and time span and ours, it took me 20 hours over 3 days to hall of fame in sun. Is their Pokemon League intentionally this short? Like, it's a summer vacation thing and in the fall you go back to trainer school?
3. Economics
A poke ball costs you 200 dollars. How much do they cost to manufacture? Who is paying for this? Why is everyone ok with you walking into their house, talking to them, and digging in their trash? Is it possible that pokemon is just a massive coverup to affect the main character in some way? Picture the Truman Show here.

smogon account 200 Pokédollars would fuction more like a measly 2 USD, assuming 1 Poké is precisely one cent.

Pokémon eggs are a gift from Arceus. But seriously, I don't really know how or why they only take from the mother's species.

parthenogenesis, with egg moves being injected through plasmid bridges by the father

into the egg.

my name is OAK! i am a POKéMON RESEARCHER

edit: if pokédollars are exactly yen (which they are) this makes shopkeepers amusingly thrifty bastards

"50 USD for this gold nugget, take it or leave it kid"
No one said the nuggets are particularly big.

I wonder how there can be endangered Pokemon (e.g. Lapras in Red/Blue, Corsola in Sun/Moon) when they're so easy to breed in captivity. Imagine how many Pokemon the average player character releases when breeding for perfect IVs, let alone the Battle Tree AI trainers.

I wonder how there can be endangered Pokemon (e.g. Lapras in Red/Blue, Corsola in Sun/Moon) when they're so easy to breed in captivity. Imagine how many Pokemon the average player character releases when breeding for perfect IVs, let alone the Battle Tree AI trainers.
Endangered tends to mean that they are rare in the wild. Breeding in captivity does not really help.

"Welp, Lapras is no longer on the endangered species list"

"Why is that?"

"This one Pokemon trainer wanted to get a competitive shiny Lapras for his NU team and lovingly released all 600 of his breeding rejects out to the wild."

"Won't the fact that all of them are brother and sister really screw with the gene pool?"

"Maybe we shouldn't remove it just yet..."

31 ivs on 4 stats mean they are super arian lapras that can curse and dragon dance in the wild.

I would worry more about the natural predators than the lapras.

Speaking of Curse: When a non-Ghost-type Pokémon uses Curse, what does it mean when it lowers its Speed? Does the Pokémon use strong language at the opponent, but it's not directly expressed because these games are rated E for Everyone? (Yes, I know it's a pun that doesn't translate well into English. fite me irl)

Speaking of Curse: When a non-Ghost-type Pokémon uses Curse, what does it mean when it lowers its Speed? Does the Pokémon use strong language at the opponent, but it's not directly expressed because these games are rated E for Everyone? (Yes, I know it's a pun that doesn't translate well into English. fite me irl)
I think they just went for the pun, Noroi changes from dulling to cursing if you change a kanji.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)